“My favorite place in the world”

Anthony's Key Resort
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Sandy Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston
“My favorite place in the world”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

My husband and I have been going to Anthony's Key Resort almost every years since 1985. I have watched the island go from a quiet, out of the way dive spot with only 3 hotels to a bustling resort island with many, many hotels and dive resorts. But still, Anthony's Key Resort remains the place to be.

Lovely, quaint rooms over the water (or up on the side of a steep jungle covered hillside) give you the feeling of remoteness and privacy. The restaurant is on the main island of Roatan up on the side of that steep hill overlooks the water and both Anthoney's Key and Bailey's Key where you can watch the sunsets and the dolphins frolic. But be advised, there are 52 steps up the side of the hill to get there, so take that into consideration if you have physical limitations.

The activities in this all-inclusive resort are many: SCUBA diving (of course), snorkling, swimming or diving with dolphins, wind surfing, kayaking, horseback riding, hiking, birdwatching and the dolphin show at the Institute for Marine Sciences which is attached to the resort - or just lay back in a hammock on your private or semi-private deck and sip a cool drink while you read and relax. Bone fishing can be arranged as can a sunset sail with cocktails and snacks. And be SURE to go zip-lining through the mountainous jungle treetops. It is an exhilarating experience.

The facilities are very nice and there is plenty of space in the rooms. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The food is quite good and the portions generous. The dive shop and its staff are top notch and the diving in the area is some of the best in the world. Jacques Cousteau often said the bay island reefs were his favorite in the world.

My husband and I love it so much that we got married there! We stood on the beach in about 6 inches of water with 6 dolphins as our attendants while all the friends we have made on the island over the years (and all the hotel guests) joined us to wish us well.

When I think of an island paradise, I immediately think of Anthony's Key and Roatan.

Room Tip: Depends on what you like. We prefer the un-airconditioned rooms out over the water. They have scree...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
Carlisle, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Second time winter vacation there. Last year we did the Maldives but this year we decided to forego a 27 hour trip. The resort is idyllic location wise. The mountain rooms are nice but you really need to book an island bungalow. It doesn't get any better than this! Fabulous sunsets, quiet and comfortable. Plus, the shuttle boat from the island to the mainland resort make it a special experience. It is only about 200 yards away.
We did snorkeling twice a day and the locations and boats were first rate. Plus, all the help were very accommodating.
I only give it 4 stars because of the food. It's just OK. They call it island food but those of us from France find it only so-so. That might change though. They have a new chef who did some cooking in France. The last few meals under his supervision were far better. And, the lobster every Friday night is really fresh and tasty. In fact, on special order, we had the chef cook us a lobster on another night and it was an inexpensive and enjoyable experience.
So, if you're mostly into diving and snorkeling and not into gourmet eating, this is a 5 star experience ( for the price!! ). If you're into good eating, hopefully the new chef will make a difference.
The woman who runs the resort is on the ball. Any complaints and she's on top of them. Well, that's about all I can think of for now. I'll try to include a few photos.

Room Tip: Rooms( actually bungalows on stilts ) on the left side of the island get the sunsets and the ones on...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Photographer-France
Lenoir City, Tennessee
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I went to Roatan with my friend for a week, and we stayed at Anthony's Key. Its a very nice resort. It was clean and the employees were all so very friendly and helpful. We stayed in one of the hillside rooms, and I really enjoyed the scenery and the private feeling. It was also nice because we didn't have the sand fleas like they did on the Key. Our Divemasters for the week were Jeramie and Calderon. They were awesome, taking us to some of the best dive sites and just being very fun and friendly. I liked that we had lockers to keep our dive equipment in when we weren't diving. I would recommend this place!

Room Tip: The rooms on the hillside don't have the sandflea problem like on the Key.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Montréal
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We booked a dolphin Dive at Antony's key resort. We did not stay at the resort.

The staff, the rental gear, the boats, the concept are all fabulous!

The experience was well worth it!

I had an HD Camera built-in to my diving googles so we have lots of great pictures to look at.

You learn alot from the trainer about the dolphins.

Even though seeing the dolphin is not garanteed, I guess we were lucky because they played with us almost the whole dive time (about 40 min at 60 feet deep).

Just AWESOME!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Westhampton, New York, United States
Reviewed March 2, 2014

This was my third time at Anthonys Key. They gave me a free upgrade from the cheapest room to the most expensive. I rent my scuba gear and it was all brand new. First time I did the dolphin snorkel and it was great! My captain Kenly and dive master Frank where the best ever. I only did 15 dives including 1 night dive and the shark dive. The food was once again excellent and it is not a buffett. I will be back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Alberta
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just came back from a week of diving at Anthony's Key Resort. The place is fabulous. The diving is unbelievable and the food is spectacular. We had Calderon as our divemaster. He knows exactly where to go to see the most underwater life there is. The resort is extremely organized and well run. All the staff are extremely helpful and go out of their way to help out.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed March 2, 2014

What a great place to enjoy the so many things. Great bungalows overlooking the water, dolphins, fabulous scuba diving opportunities, snorkeling, etc. Dolphins are in a pen but can leave.
I have an ear problem after diving and was quickly taken to the health care center.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Cocolobo
Cocolobo
#3 of 7 in West End
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Been to Anthony's Key Resort? Share your experiences!