“Great Resort + Great Service = Great Vacation”

Anthony's Key Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Sandy Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, CA
“Great Resort + Great Service = Great Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

I go on a dive trip a minimum of once a year. I tend to go with the same group leader. We usually stay in nicer resorts and we expect to get good service. This was our first trip together to Roatan and our trip leader arranged the package with Anthony's Key Resort.

We were met at the airport by staff from the resort. It took a while, since there were people coming from several flights, an hour or so apart. Our luggage was taken on a truck, while the people were loaded into buses and taken to the Resort. The staff was friendly and our bags go to the resort with no problem. Once at the resort, we had to attend an orientation and fill out some paperwork (if you're a diver, bring your C-card to the orientation). We were then invited to eat a buffet lunch since it was lunch time. When we got to our rooms, the luggage was waiting for us.

The rooms: The view was amazing! I stayed in a Superior Room on the Key, which means I was on the Key and had A/C. The rooms were gorgeous. They overlook the water, and each room either has a balcony on the water to itself or shares a balcony with other rooms. (The rooms with king size beds as one of the two beds appear to have their own, I was in a room with two double beds and shared a balcony.) The balcony had two hammocks and a table with chairs. The rooms had a gorgeous wooden floor. The beds were comfortable. The bathrooms had a safe and plenty of towels. There is no phone or television in the room, so if this is an issue for you, pick another resort. It was not at all an issue for me. There was also WiFi which was free for the week we were there but I understand sometimes costs $25 for the week.,

The food: There was a continental breakfast at 6:30 in the morning with fresh baked goods, fruit and cereal. After 7, you ordered breakfast from menu. It was the same menu every day. I had omelets, hot oatmeal, and french toast, all of which were very good. (The coffee cups were kind of small so if you're like me and like to sit with a large mug of coffee, you may want to bring your own.) The rest of the meals were waiter service as well, and each meal you had a choice of a soup and a salad, two to three entrees, and dessert. There is free iced tea and water, but you have to pay for other drinks (a Diet Coke with a glass of ice was $2). On Monday we had a buffet lunch on Maya Key, on Thursday we had a buffet lunch on Anthony Key, and on Wednesday night we were supposed to have a Fiesta on Anthony Key, but got rained out. The food was excellent overall, and we were very pleased with the quality and the selection.

The diving: The resort was pretty full the week we were there. They have a large, professional diver operation, and it runs with precision. You are assigned to a boat the beginning of the week, and dive with the same group. Our group was on a boat with some other divers for a total of 11 on the boat, which was comfortable. Each boat does different dives every day so you get to dive all the sites but not when other boats are there. There is a checkout dive the first day, you are expected to do a regulator retrieval and a partial flooding and clearing of your mask. Also, there is an orientation to those diving Nitrox (which was an extra $134 per week). There are usually three dives per day, and with the exception of Monday where you lunch at Maya Key, the boats return to the dock after every dive. The dive crew was fantastic, our dive master was helpful and found creatures for us, and the experience was as well as it could be except for the weather. Because it rained so much the week we were there, visibility was down and there weren't as many fish, so I would recommend avoiding the rainy season if you can. Still, we had a great time.

The service: We came in contact with a lot of employees. There is a water taxi which takes you to and from the Key, dive staff, kitchen staff, maintenance staff, etc. They were very helpful, provided excellent service, and most of them had been with the resort for years, if not for decades. The manager, Mandy, was always present, making sure everything was going well and everyone was happy.

The only thing I would have changed about our trip was the weather. It rained several days. Being as this is a tropical location, and we came during the rainy season, we got what we got, but we still had a great time. Still, you may want to bring a rain poncho. Just in case.

Overall, a great vacation, and I had a great time.

Room Tip: On the Key with A/C.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank TamarskiLA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Where oh where to begin. . .probably with saying that this was probably one of the best holidays that I have ever experienced. To go on a holiday and to not have to think or put much effort into what to do next was pure heaven for me. The biggest decision we had to make each day was either soup or salad at lunch and dinner and was it going to be entree A or entree B at lunch and dinner. It was so great to have everything though out of us!

Diving - what can I say - the diving was AMAZING! Marvin was our DM and he was so awesome and it is obvious that he enjoys what he does. He did a great job of pointing out both macro and micro creatures on the reef and he was very good at reading the group and taking on the right dives for the skill level of our boat. Leo was our captain and was very attentive. He was always there to help you get ready to get in the water and was also there when it was time to get out. Definitely a full service boat! We had 8 people on our boat, so it wasn't crowded at all.

We did the shark dive at Cara Cara and much to the dismay of everyone who had gone before us and had highly recommended the dive, the sharks were not cooperating and were not that interested in feeding. Don't get me wrong, we still got up close and personal with a few sharks, just not as many as others but like any other dive, you can't control mother nature.

I did both my Advanced Divers and my Nitrox Certification while at AKR with Pete and he was a fabulous instructor. The nice thing about taking courses at AKR (besides the good prices) is that they build it into your every day diving so you don't miss out on anything - which was so nice.

If you get a chance to take Pete's Fish ID talk on the Sunday night - do it as it is very informative and you will definitely look at the reef differently.

Rooms - we stayed in room #36 on the far side of the key - from there we had great sunsets. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable. Our air con was a little loud (it was an older model) however we would just turn it down at night. Our balcony had 2 wonderful hammocks that swayed in the breeze. . . so relaxing!

Food - if you enjoy home made buns EVERY DAY then this is the place for you! The food was not overly fancy but is sure was yummy! It's not 5 star dining but I can tell you, we did not have one bad meal and there was always 2 choices on the main menu and if that didn't do it for you, you could always order a burger, grilled cheese, etc.

Internet - some people have complained about the internet at the resort but not me because that is one of the things that made this an awesome holiday - almost no connectivity to the outside world. Rooms don't have TVs, I shut my phone off and we didn't have Wi-Fi - after a day or two of withdrawal, the technology holiday was great!

Bugs - a lot of people complain about the bugs. What can you expect - you are on an island in Central America. There are bugs. Bring bug spray and don't complain. Me personally, they bit me one day and then left me alone and I didn't put on bug spray.

Of course a big part of what makes a holiday great is the people that you go with and the people that you meet. We were fortunate to meet a great group of people on our first day who had all been to AKR multiple times. We had a great time trading stories, swapping tales and getting to know one another. We look forward to seeing them again next year when we go back - because we are going back!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Calgaryprincess
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

What an amazing week! It took us no time to fall into the schedule of breakfast, dive, coffee, dive, lunch, nap, dive, cocktails and dinner then repeat the next day. The rooms were clean and comfortable, definitely worth the extra money for the AC. Every meal was delicious and the service was outstanding. The diving was incredible and we quickly made friends with the fun people on our boat. If we weren’t diving or sleeping, we were laughing. Actually, there were even some underwater laughs. I am not one who usually gets bit by mosquitoes, but I was eaten alive by them and the sand fleas. There is unlimited shore diving, but we did not try it because, frankly, I was too lazy to haul my gear across the key. The medical clinic and hyperbaric chamber are on site if you should need it. We cannot wait until we can return!

Room Tip: Rooms on the key are quiet and more secluded. Pay the extra money and get a room with AC.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Radcliff, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

I have been coming to this Resort every year since 1999. It is the best dive resort I have ever stayed at. The resort is beautiful but rustic. The rooms are bungelows-mostly on stilts over the water (on a Key about 100 yds from the Island). There are some rooms on the Hill.
The staff are excellent-helpfull and friendly. This is an excellent choice for divers or snorkellers. The Dive staff are very professonal-The divemasters really know their stuff.
The rooms are comfortable and most have a really good view. Some rooms do not have air and are cheaper but it can really get hot. No phones, room service,tvs and limited internet.
It is rather rustic. Lots of activities (fiesta nights, picnics etc) Meals are included-food is a mix of American and local. Usually a choice of 2-3 main courses. The dinning room is on the hill-about 55 steps up from the docks (Hill Rooms about the same). Diving and snorkelling are some of the best in the Carribean (Not as good as Cozumel or Belieze in my opinion but better than most). water Temps are upper 70's to mid 80's in September. You can get certified to Dive in about 3-4 days-A good place to do it. Packages include 3 boat dives/day-2 night dives per week and unlimited shore diving OR 2 boat snorkels/day and one night snorkel. The weather can get nasty from October-Feb. Rainy season. lots of bugs-bring repellent.

Room Tip: A/C rooms on the key-for a cheaper room choose #35 or 36 on the key (No A/C but great view and has a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank robert b
Stuart, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

We just returned from our Vacation at Anthoney's Key Resort. We spent the whole week diving and having a blast. OMG the resort was just as beautiful as in all the photo's. The staff were so attentive and right on cue. They knew what you needed before you even thought about it. Always with a smile and great attitude. The diving was wonderful, we dove with the sharks and also had the dolphin encounter. The meals were very tasty and just right.

We can't wait to do it all over again!

Room Tip: We had a superior cabin on the key with AC, it was very spacious with a wonderful deck and hammocks
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Natalie P
San Rafael, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

I'll start with the one negative which is that the internet in our room was painfully slow. The neighboring resorts (Tranquilseas and Blue Bahia) have good internet...I hope AKR upgrades theirs before our next trip. Please!!!

First, I love Sandy Bay compared to West End/West Bay since it is quieter and more secluded, but close enough to these areas that you can easily visit if you want to shop or pursue a busier nightlife. We visit West End but don't find it much of a draw.

AKR has the best dive operation we've experienced. There are some complaints that boats can be too crowded, but we didn't experience that. We were initially bummed that they mixed beginners in our group, but it turned out fine. Our captain and divemaster were great! We loved being allowed to do long dives, and we liked that our DM took good care of beginners but gave us some leeway. Our captain was an expert at spotting and dropping us near whale sharks between dives, 8 different times, while we watched other boats arrive too late or out of position. These guys were fun, friendly, safe, and helpful with gear setup. The dive spots are mostly close, so boat rides are short. You can do 3 dives per day, or fewer if you want, and the package also includes 2 night dives during the week.

Food is great, nothing fancy but very good and healthy. Staff was friendly and attentive in all areas.

Living in a bungalow on Anthony's Key was great...nice rooms, big deck over the water, and easy to go back and forth to the main island via a short boat ride, with boats running on demand.

We highly recommend the shark dive at Cara a Cara, and AKR takes care of all the details so all you have to do is sign up (and this is a dive you pay extra for). I was amazed that such a small number of people at AKR sign up. This is an absolutely amazing, and safe experience, and to miss out on it as a diver and maybe even a photographer is a huge mistake. But maybe it seems scary to some people.

The diving here is amazing with great visibility, warm water, lots of sea life, 2 nearby wrecks, AND great shore diving. One of the big attractions for me is easy access to freediving (or snorkeling for those who aren't into breath holding), and there is great access to the reef from a beach on the Key.

My wife loved the horseback riding, which was also a bargain, but recommends that only experienced riders participate.

Make sure to bring cash for tipping at the end. The staff rely heavily on tips, and of course you want to give good tips to the captains and divemasters wherever you go. And these guys earn it!

We are coming back with the kids next summer!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Eric A
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

We visited AKR for two weeks in September 2013 and had the most amazing time.
We travelled from the UK and we were the only Brits there. We were there for the diving and we'll get to that later.
Pick up and transfer was faultless with a 20 min transfer.

Room
We had an air conditioned water villa on the key which was newly built and worth the extra you pay. The right hand side of the key benefited from sun rise and the left, sunset. We had room 13 which was well appointed, excellent bed, and looked out over the ocean. It was also in a great position to watch the daily dolphin shows. It was kept very clean and had all essential toiletries. A fridge, safe and hairdryer was also provided. There is a short boat ride to get from the key to the main part of the resort which is great.

Meals
The food was great, good choices and well prepared - there was not a meal we did not love.
We alway find that resorts have too smaller cup for us so if you like a big cup of coffee then take your own mug. Most meals are formal in the restaurant on the hill hidden in the jungle but they do have a picnic and BBQ a couple of times in the week.

Diving
We found the diving incredibly relaxed with very little current. There is no pressure to dive except that you may not want to miss a thing - it was fab. My husband did 42 dives in 2 weeks! We were lucky enough to see a shark on the first day - turtles almost on every dive and our personal favourite - seahorses! We had for the first week Capt Ken Lee who helps with all the kit you want and Calderon as Dive guide - both of who was great, very chilled and laid back - you could not get better we think.
The boats are a good standard and have plenty of room for dive kit. There are two night dives per week but take your own flashlight as hiring them are very expensive. There is a photoshop as well. The dive chamber for the island is also on site with a well equipped medical centre.

The Bars
There are 2 bars - one by the pool and one next to the restaurant! They alternate happy hour nights where drinks are 2 4 1. Considering you are a captive audience the drinks are very fairly priced. But no happy hour on wine and not at all on night dive nights.

The "noseeems"
There are more than a few types of insects biting you here! Some people literally got bit to death and it is difficult to explain how bad their bits were. Terribly infected! We took High dose garlic for
2 wks prior to going and whilst we were there. We took 4 bottles of High dose deet and had to buy another one whilst out there. We did get bit occasionally as constant spraying is essential and if you miss a bit you will know about it. Now not every one got badly bit but most did. We took antihistamine tablets every night and it meant that although we did get bit the reaction was less.
The snack shop on site sells most of what you might need for the week and there is a gift shop too.

There is a laundry service on the site and for $18 had all our clothes cleaned prior to leaving. Bliss!

We made the most amazing friends on this trip and was blessed with the people on our boat who helped make our trip really special.

AKR, by not advertising yourselves more in the UK you are missing out as there is a market here for you. Its great there.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get an A/C room on the key.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mayoka Boutique Hotel
#3 of 5 in Sandy Bay
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Anthony's Key Resort? Share your experiences!