We just got back a couple weeks ago from a dive trip to Roatan where we had a great time staying at Anthony's Key Resort. From the moment we landed at the airport AKR seemed to have it down to a science. Their friendly representative was waiting for us when we came out of the baggage claim, took our bags and ushered us to our van to the resort. When we arrived we were given a welcome cocktail and orientation, followed by lunch that was waiting for us. While this was all going on, our bags were delivered to our room.
The rest of the week went equally smooth and I can't say I had any major complaints. The staff ranged from ok to excellent - some seemed a bit more tuned into customer services than others, but we never had a bad experience. The resort itself was very pretty and we were lucky to have beautiful sunny weather almost the entire week. We stayed on the Key and while I can't opine on the rooms on the hill, our ocean view was spectacular. The small boat shuttle across to the key was usually very prompt, although it did make it a little inconvenient if we wanted to just run back to the room between dives.
The room itself was ok, but we didn't spend a lot of time there anyway. We did get a standard/non AC room, and while the temperature was not an issue for us given the constant ocean breeze, it was a little more rustic than I had hoped. We had space under the door to the outside and did have a few issues with bugs (big red ants and flying bugs) coming in at night, likely attracted by the light. However when I mentioned this to the front desk they were immediately concerned and said that the cleaning staff would address the issue, which they did.
The restaurant was very impressive. I don't think we expected much given that meals were included in the price, but we were very pleasantly surprised. They almost always had a delicious fresh fish item (we don't eat meat), salad, soup and dessert. The servers we had were also very good and even remembered our custom orders for breakfast.
The diving team was excellent. We had a great boat captain and dive guide that seemed to really care about us and wanted us to have a good time. They were very tuned in with the details that make a difference, like helping you get your BC/tank on and helping you with your gear when you are climbing back in the boat.
With the diving schedule, meals, and other scheduled activities, I can't say we had a lot of time to do other things (and we actually didn't even leave the resort during the week). So if a relaxing beach vacation is what you are looking for, this probably isn't the place. But since our main goal was primarily to scuba dive off Roatan and stay at a resort focused on diving, AKR was a great choice and I would definitely recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on the island of Roatan, Anthony's Key Resort is a legendary tropical wonderland where lush greenery rustles in breezy sea air. Pristine beaches rim turquoise waters. And wooden bungalows perched above a tranquil lagoon offer guests incredibly scenic views and a sense of perfect disconnection from everyday life back at home. For over 40 years, this family-run paradise has been home to divers in search of unspoiled waters, and lovers of natural adventure in all its forms.. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz and Priceline so you can book your Anthony's Key Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anthony`s Key Hotel Sandy Bay
- Anthonys Key Sandy Bay
- Anthonys Key Hotel Roatan
- Anthonys Key Resort
- Anthony's Key Resort Roatan, Honduras - Bay Islands