“First time at AKR was awesome!! I will be back!”

Anthony's Key Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Sandy Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
“First time at AKR was awesome!! I will be back!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I took advantage of the promotion "pay for 6 get 7th night free" and was I thankful I did. It was my first time traveling to Roatan and AKR made everything hassle free. They greet you at the airport and make sure your luggage arrives at the resort. A short 10 minute ride from the airport and you are at the resort. I met some really cool people on the shuttle and it turned out that I was with them the entire time. That was one of the nice things about AKR, you are assigned a boat and captain for the duration of the trip. I am used to traveling solo and eating my meals by myself, at AKR, I met some really great people and never ate alone!

The staff was excellent! We were greeted with smiles and left with smiles. I stayed in a room on the hill and it was not bad at all. The key looks nice but the hill was perfect for my budget. The rooms had everything you needed and nothing more. A/C is a must! You will be thanking yourself when you walk up those steps and turn on the air conditioning. A maid took care of the room everyday and there were always fresh towels to use.

You can drink the water at this resort and be fine! They food was excellent and the staff was even better. It was nice to see the same staff members every day, it made it more personal. I have a picky stomach but was pleased with what I had to choose from. I think I ate better at AKR then when I am home. The sweet tea was awesome and I drank at least two glasses after every meal.

The diving was amazing. We did 19 dives and I saw everything I was hoping to see. There were plenty of sea turtles, barracuda and even spotted eagle rays. I had never seen such beautiful sponges and coral. The water temperature was 83 degrees and the visibility was excellent. Another dive group stayed on the other side of the island, and they told me they did not see much life. "Waynes Place" was a pretty cool dive because we swam into a cavern that was enormous. We were surrounded by coral on all sides and the only light was from small boat size break in coral at the surface. We never needed a flashlight at that dive spot and it was cool to be surrounded by coral.

We swam through a lot of coral swim throughs. Some of them were as wide as our body and were optional. If you did not want to swim through them, you could swim above with your buddy and watch the bubbles below you. I would bring a flashlight if you are planning on doing that or going inside the wrecks.

My first night dives were at AKR and I saw two octopuses and over a dozen lobster. I'll never forget when we turned our lights off for a few minutes and the bioluminescence lit the water up like a starry night...Amazing.

In summary, I had a great time at Anthony's Key Resort. The location was excellent, the staff was amazing (on site medical doctor and re-compression chamber), the food was delicious and the diving was unforgettable.

Room Tip: I stayed on the top of the Hill and was very pleased. A/C is a must!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank harleyrider18

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I had an AMAZING time here. There was so much to do, and we felt everything was very well done and well organized. The resort is just the right size - not so big that it feels impersonal....there were maybe around 40 other guests staying there. The food gets an A+ from us - the fact that they keep the quality so high so consistently is really impressive. Delicious fruit and breads (as well as a full menu to order off of) for breakfast, 2 options - usually fish or meat - for lunch and dinner, and dessert. Everything tasted fresh and we looked forward to every meal. We stayed in a Key Superior, loved it, wish we had more time just to lounge on a hammock but there was too much other fun stuff to do!! Three dives a day and 2 night dives a week. Our dive master was Frank, he took us on some incredible dives and made us better divers by the end. JoJo was a pro boat captain and had a great attitude, helped us get in/out of the water every time. We saw eels, eagle rays, turtles, an octopus.....crazy beautiful canyons and really cool swim throughs - amazing. We went on the shore dive and thought it was great - definitely carve out some time to do that. We recommend the fish identification presentation given by Pete - it made our subsequent dives even more interesting.

I also recommend the horseback riding - Marvin, the guide, was very friendly and the horses were very well taken care off - they looked great. They wanted to MOVE once we got to the beach, which was refreshing - so many times horses on trips like these seem lethargic....these horses seemed like they were enjoying the ride as much as you were. The dolphin dive and the dolphin snorkel are must-dos......just incredible. Swimming with baby dolphins....how cool is that? Maya Key was a lot of fun too.....I could go on and on.

I didn't have a problem with the bugs at all. Only a couple bites the whole week. I used OFF in the orange bottle.....must have helped.

THANK YOU to Anthony's Key for such a memorable vacation.....we will be back!

Room Tip: I would recommend staying on the Key. We had air conditioning and used it...although we heard from o...
1 Thank CalGirl435
Kirkland
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stayed in April with two kids age 15&11 in superior seafront accommodation. The resort is split between the key and the mainland with a short water shuttle between the two.

First the food. Very plentiful. Diner menu, but all cooked extremely well and from local product. Excellent. Great wait staff.

The accommodation. Stay on the key if you can and get a newer renovated suite. Sleeping on the water is great and the balcony with hammocks is terrific. Bathrooms are modern and well furnished.

Facilities. It is geared around scuba diving, but we did not do that. They provide their own snorkel excursions twice a day which were excellent. We were not bored and the trips each were slightly different.

Must do's:
The resort is attached to RIMS where the dolphins are researched. They offer daily Dolphin encounters and swim with Dolphins. Pay the extra to swim with them. Playful characters who are as interested in you as you are in with them.

Use the resort kayaks for exercise and go to Baileys key. There are a couple of small beaches where you can relax and be on your own. Truly relaxing.
Maya Key on the resort's day out on Monday is a must do. This island, near the airport is part of Anthony's Key. Fantastic island on its own with great beaches, its own swimming pool, and a snorkel from the end of the pier was terrific. We also paid to swim with the sharks (nurse sharks - minimal teeth). Also a good experience.

Fiesta entertainment night was certainly worthwhile. the flame dances were good. The native singers and dancers were fun and very reminiscent of safaris in Africa.
Go off the resort and do a zipline trip.

Wifi is available for a daily fee. If you are far away from the resort, then the signal will be poor. My signal was good.

The resort has put in swimming pool plus bar recently on the island. It is terrific for relaxing and meeting people. It is a great place to meet fellow guests.

What concerns me?
The resort, as do many, go after the cruise ship business. This destroys the atmosphere on the resort especially with the atmosphere they bring in. Chasing their discretionary dollar for the daytrippers with their noise and high energy changes the relaxed atmosphere of the resort.

Management seems interested in the guests and their staff. Speaking to many of the staff, they have been their for many many years. They work off tips, so be prepared to give generously.

Definite thumbs up.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Moonstonemoclips
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Just returned from another AKR week-Stayed in a Key Superior room #54. One King bed and a queen.
Positives:Very comfortable "rustic" wood decor- plenty of quiet and calm in a tranquil setting. Each cabana has its own little dock and set of hammocks for enjoying the tropical climate. Rooms spacious and clean.
Food: full menu choices and the resort accommodated my gluten free and lactose free diet. Be sure to ask travel agent or AKR directly for diet requests. Snack shop has candy, cookies and chips- bring your own healthy snacks and drink powder mixes. Tap water very safe to drink.
Two negatives: A/C unit is noisy- so bring earplugs and whatever bug repellant works...use it along with lightweight long sleeve shirt and lightweight scrub pants for any time outside room! The no-see-ums are LETHAL. Caladryl lotion for bites is essential.
Diving: Remarkable divemaster -John was delightful and knowledgable. Very reef-eco conscious. Calm and friendly and allows diving freedom without compromising safety. Dives 45 min average- which was a little frustrating as I am used to at least 60+ minutes of bottom time with Nitrox. Superior knowledge of the reefs and critters to find on each. Located drumfish, skeleton shrimp, turtles, eels consistently.
Dive center: I had some equipment problems and needed assistance with a regulator failing, and a computer battery needed replaced. Denny and Kevin attended to these with skill and patience- not charging me (whereas in the Caymans I had to pay through the nose for all repairs)- so I was astonished and grateful. Felt each earned their tips for being so kind and helpful! Also found prices for a high pressure hose and a Mares shortie very fair.
Snorkeling: 2 trips a day and a dolphin experience is included. Take a day to fully enjoy the RMI experience- a day to work with the dolphin trainers from 8- 4pm. Well worth the time and money! A beautifully run dolphin program.
No TV or phones there--and I elected to NOT get internet service...and I didn't miss TV or computer time!! the bar has a big screen TV so sports fans can stay tuned.
AKR is self contained- so enjoy the new gift shop- Special request for Red Bull energy drinks was fulfilled by a shop worker. No need to venture into town- this is a beautiful and well maintained property. The pool is especially nice. Get a map of the various cabana room locations to pick your view.
Relax and enjoy!!

Room Tip: Cabana 54 is almost West facing, but more south. Can only see incredible sunsets from the 33-34 are...
1 Thank Karin B
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves at AKR in November, 2012. We appreciated everything about how the resort is run and the thought that goes into the smoothness of the entire operation and design. They have a lot to be proud of there, and the staff is among the most professional, courteous, and enjoyable that we have encountered in our dive travels. We hope to return with groups again in the future.

Frank and Jimmy took extremely good care of me in particular, and they assisted Rich as well. All the wait staff we encountered were very proficient and attentive. Perry, Solace, Saul, Larry, Marcos, and Shirley in the bar, were all especially pleasant and made our stay very enjoyable. Of course, chatting with Mandy and playing with Gringo throughout the week also made us feel very welcome. Housekeeping was also very good and we enjoyed meeting Mayra one day as she finished up. She did a great job all week with our room.

Room Tip: Air conditioned on the key is the best choice, though the coolness of November allows for open air s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Iowa
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Anthony’s Key Resort (April 21 – 28, 2013) Roatan, Honduras

This was our second stay here this year. I wrote a more extensive review posted 12/12/12 titled “Vacation and diving made easy; well organized; will return” (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g303874-d309950-r147335597-Anthony_s_Key_Resort-Sandy_Bay_Roatan_Bay_Islands.html), so I will try not to repeat too many things previously covered.

The resort is a modest, laid-back resort suited for those who aren’t looking for “fancy” but are looking for a great dive resort location. Eat, sleep, dive, have a few beers. Clientele is mostly primarily divers. We saw a few families with children, although very few while we were here.

A few additional comments/observations from this trip:
• This time the weather was much nicer (warmer, less rain, better visibility) and made for a great diving week and we were able to use the pool this time (too cold in November).
• This time we stayed in Cabin 38 – same setup as Cabin 37 without the extended extra uncovered portion of dock. The resort itself did seem a little more “tired” and “worn” looking overall to me this time. (i.e. Our cabin was in desperate need of new curtains and the back patio door did not lock. I mentioned these things in my comments at the end of our stay and I know the resort is planning some renovations in October. Many of the dock posts are in need of replacing in spots. The tables and chairs in the dining area seemed a bit more “beat up” and wobbly this time, linens more worn, etc.) Were heard from some people we met that cabin #30 (not a superior room – no ac) was also very nice. Breezy and secluded.
• The beds were comfortable, although there is only a sheet and comforter on the bed. There are extra blankets in the room – they may be in a cupboard or the closet. You might have to hunt for them.
• We loved having a king bed + twin bed in our room. TIP: We’ve started using the twin bed as our “dresser” instead of unpacking and shoving things in drawers, although there is plenty of dresser and closet space. We just lay everything out in piles on the bed.
• Resort was responsive to any problems. Our AC quit working on the first night and we reported it the next morning and it was fixed by the time we returned after lunch.
• This trip they were able to have the fiesta on the key on Weds night (moved to the bar due to weather in November) and it was entertaining. The food (BBQ) was good and the fire show, dancing, band, limbo and crab races were fun.
• We did not go on the Maya Key day of diving because we had done it in November. Stayed at the resort and snorkeled around Bailey’s Key and did a shore dive at the resort. Monday (or whatever day the Maya Key excursion is planned) is a great day to stay at the resort if you want to be alone because the resort is almost deserted. We snorkeled under the docks since the boats were gone and I found my first seahorse under the dock right in front of the resort dive shop!
• DIVING: Signing up for diving was the same as last time and very easy. This was high season, so the boats were more full (we had ~14 on fullest dive). Still ok, but I would prefer a smaller group myself. Dive master and boat captain were good. (Sherwin and Dean.) Our dive master (and most of the others I’ve heard about) are good and he showed us a lot of things, but it doesn’t seem that safety is #1 priority. We were almost all very experienced, so this wasn’t a major concern, but just be aware that they typically don’t stop to ask you what your air is at, etc. during a dive. Our dive master was typically the first person back on the boat and helped us out of the water. Have your own watch for doing safety stops. This isn’t valet diving, but the captain and dive master did help with setting up our gear. (I’m used to setting up my gear, but they said “just put your gear on board and we’ll do the rest”. I found this to be true at the start of the week, but more lax as the week went on.  )
• DIVING: The water visibility was better. Some reefs have been damaged and there isn’t as much prolific, colorful wildlife as we expected, but it was nice. We didn’t see as much large wildlife as we did in November (i.e. eels, rays, etc.) but that could be time of year. We did see an increase in the number of lionfish. There were 5 within a 20 square foot area on 1 dive. Some current on a few dives, but not bad. We did a shore dive from the resort this time. It was ok but nothing I would say you “must do”. Not a lot of wildlife and it’s a bit of trudging to drag your gear out (we floated our gear out vs. trying to walk with it on) to where you can put it on and submerge. There is a guy at the shore dive shop (opens at 3 p.m.) that has tanks and shows you a map of the dive and explains things. We brought our weights over, although typically they have some weights there. (It happens that they didn’t have any weights there this time, so it was lucky we brought them over.) My husband did a night dive again and said it was ok, but nothing spectacular.
• DIVE SHOP: We had several issues with our own personal gear during the week and the dive shop was GREAT in helping us out fast. My regulator was dunked by accident without dust cap and I took it to dive shop and they blew it out for me right when I took it to them. My husband’s regulator quit working altogether and Denny fixed it overnight for us so he could have it by the next dive. And---they didn’t charge us! (No parts were needed.)
• FOOD: The food was good again this time, but I didn’t think they had as wide a variety of choices this time as in November and I was a little disappointed. There weren’t as many varieties of side dishes, desserts or soups this time. (Lots of rice for side dishes and we had snapper several times.) There is still a choice of 2 entrees (usually a fish/seafood and meat choice). Most of the soups during the week were a variation of vegetable soup converted into different forms (vegetable, vegetable beef, chicken and vegetable, pureed vegetable) NOTE: There are few gluten-free choices. If you need gluten-free, be sure to ask about how the foods are prepared. Many things that would typically be gluten-free were seasoned with soy sauce (i.e. cucumbers, celery, meats). One of our fellow divers had a tough time finding things she could eat and said even after talking to the chef, she didn’t find them very accommodating. The resort was more full this time and service was a little slower.
• The new gift shop opened while we were there. It is large and has a greater variety of merchandise, although it would be nice if they carried more dive gear and accessories. I thought the prices were quite high….$40 for a very thin girl’s tshirt. Also, the snack shop closed while we were there, but the gift shop didn’t have any snacks, so I’m not sure what the plan is there….it was nice being able to pop into the snack shop between dives. The staff in the gift shop is the same….polite, but not overly helpful or friendly.
• STAFF: The staff was very polite and helpful. Some wait staff did seem disinterested this trip though, which was different from our trip in November. It almost seemed as though staff might be unhappy with something going on at the resort, although no one said anything directly. A special shout-out again to Raul, Clinton and Edmund who again made our stay very enjoyable. Front desk staff was very helpful, pleasant and efficient. Housekeeping was very good.
• INTERNET: We were told that the resort is running a cable to the mangrove side of Anthony’s Key island so that side can have wi-fi.
• TIP: If you take the shuttle boat to Bailey’s Key, be sure to ring the bell LOUDLY when you want to return. It took us several times of ringing for anyone to notice we were waiting to return.
• TIP: The no-see-um bugs were still in full force this trip, so don’t forget bug spray. Also, we rarely needed sun-screen in November, but did more snorkeling this time and the sun was stronger and we fried our backs on our first day, although we used 50 SPF. Apply it frequently and liberally!
• TIP: Lay a towel on the hammock when laying in them. We seemed to get the most bug bites when laying in the hammock without a towel on it. (I suspect there are some little no-see-ums hiding on them!)
• TIP: Each cabin deck has a clothes line, but no or few clothespins. Bring a few. If there’s a conch shell, etc. on the deck you can use them to hold clothes draped over the railing down.
AIRPORT: The airport has been remodeled since we were there in November. There is now only 1 waiting area for departing flights and there is a small deli in there. The procedure for leaving is still painfully slow (as it is in all small countries) and we counted having to show our passports 5 times in the airport before getting on the plane to depart. Your bags are searched again right before you get on the plane and you can't take any liquid more than 3 ounces, even if you've purchased it in the airport, so don't bother buying a bottle of water, pop, etc. to take on the plane.

OVERALL: We still really like this resort and would recommend it. We likely won’t be back for awhile because there are so many other places we want to try (have heard great things about the diving in Dominica island, Little Cayman and St. Lucia), but if we were returning to Roatan we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a private deck if you don't want to share one with another room.
1 Thank oceanfish058
Norman, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We just returned from a week of diving. We had the best DM, Frank & boat captain, Jimmy. Even though ANK is not a valet diving operation Frank/Jimmy took care of ALL our needs on the boat & in the water. Frank brought fresh fruit & snacks on our day trip to Maya Key. The facilities are excellent & loved the boats. The boats do not have bathroom facilities. We had the same 12 divers, boat, DM & Captain the entire week which we loved. Frank tried to accommodate some of the divers who didn't like drift dives, which was difficult because Frank can't control the currents. The room to analyze Nitrox was awesome. We would analyze all our tanks for the next day & put them in a certain area for Jimmy to load on the boat. On the 1st day we chose our location on the boat so he would know where to set us up. We loved the Dolphin dive (extra cost). There is a snack shop, new restrooms & large gift store, photo shop, storage lockers & 1 outdoor shower at the dive area. You don't use cash during the week everything is charged to your room. The food was much better than we expected from reading reviews. Everyday they posted the menu which included your choice of a salad or soup, fish or meat/poultry & a dessert. Breakfast was the best because of so many choices. There were 3 employees at the dining area & the 2 water taxi employees that were friendly. The rest of the employees looked & acted unhappy. You would think they would be happy to have a job. The lady at the snack shop also seemed like we were bothering her. I inquired who the woman with the schnauzer "Gringo" was & found out she was the Manager. She was not an outgoing person with a happy disposition so I can see why the employees are the way they are. We had to initiate any conversation & thought talking about Gringo would break the ice-not so. Our family has a quick service restaurant with $4 million in sales so we know what good customer service should be. Frank should train the employees. We always tip very well & took plenty of money, but we came home with lots of extra. We weren't sure how much to tip Frank, so we ended up giving him $6 per tank per person & Jimmy $4 per tank. We asked numerous divers before making our decision. There is a small refrigerator in your room, but no bottled water. You could get ice at the ice house on the key or by the snack shop. We would take a plastic bag for the ice which we would get on the way to our room after diving. We loved the day trip to Maya Key. There was so much to do at ANK which we didn't have the energy to do after 3-4 dives a day. The kids kayaked to the dolphin/beach area. While in their kayak the dolphins came over to them. On the 2 night dives there was a full moon which made them more enjoyable & we still could see the bioilluminescense when moving our arms. We were disappointed in the diversity of aquatic life & quickly became bored after a few days. We would not return to that area of Roatan again. We would consider the West End or Utila someday after diving other countries on our "Bucket List". FYI: Be sure that your paper money for tips at ANK does NOT have any tiny tears or ink marks. The banks or businesses won't accept them. I thought Frank/Jimmy were kidding when they gave the damaged bills back & asked for clean bills. Don't buy bottled drinks anywhere at the airport. At the so called "gate" all our bags where searched again & all bottled drinks were taken. A TSA employee from the USA was at the gate for a "surprise visit" so that might not be the norm. You will each need to pay a tax of $39 cash only at the airport before checking in your bags. They did take damaged paper money there & at the concession at the gate area.

Room Tip: We loved #37 Superior Key. It was a stand alone, private, covered & uncovered decks with hammock...
1 Thank Susan H
Mayoka Boutique Hotel
#4 of 5 in Sandy Bay
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Anthony's Key Resort? Share your experiences!