“Great Food, Great Diving, Bugs are horrible!”

Anthony's Key Resort
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Sandy Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
White Hall, AR
“Great Food, Great Diving, Bugs are horrible!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very nice place! Rooms are spacious & clean. We stayed on the Key facing the reef, so we had a great view!

The noseeums will eat you up! Be sure and bathe in the bug spray!

It is isolated, so you cannot walk anywhere. You must take a taxi or rent your own vehicle to get anywhere.

The diving is spectacular - the DM's and crew are a lot of fun!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank WednesdayandGreg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

My family visited this resort on a cruise excursion. Enjoyed it thoroughly! Great staff at the dolphin encounter, but the staff who was supposed to be leading us wad not too friendly. Be ready to drop some money on pics: $80 for a USB drive of the dolphin pics. A little pricey I thought.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Soccermom0925
Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I booked a scuba excursion through my ship on a cruise. In addition to the excursion fee, I had to pay $30 (cash only) for BCD, fins, and a half wetsuit. The fins were broken in a couple places, the BCD had to be replaced due to leaking air, and there was a rip in the pocket where my weights were put (because they do not provide weight belts).

Other than the roughshod equipment, the dive was good. Everything was done professionally for the 2-tank dive. The divemaster gave a good briefing, kept sight of us at all times, and also pointed out interesting coral and fish. The 75' dive included not very colorful but a high quantity of coral, while the 40' dive includes a few turtles and semi-rare fish.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ontheroad24601
Gilroy, California
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

We spent the day diving with one of their boat crews. They were very friendly and knowledgable. We want to return and stay for a while and get more great diving in. We are looking toward to spending more time on this beautiful island.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Dennis S
New Rochelle, New York
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed at Anthony's Key Resort for 3 weeks in January for a study-abroad program. The place was even more amazing than the pictures I saw prior to the trip! It is an excellent facility (and incredibly beautiful) and the staff is amazing; they are wonderful people and will help you with anything. You MUST stay at this resort if you are a diver, whether novice or advanced! The dive boats and staff are awesome and will take you to breath-taking locations throughout the reef. There is such an abundance of marine life! The food, oh my goodness, the food...let's just say I cleaned up every plate I was given! Amazing food and superior flavors. My classmates and I stayed in the Hillside rooms, which I truly loved. We had a great view and a nice big porch to all gather at night.
EXTRAS: Monday night's band, Kulture Band, will immerse you in island-like traditional songs; quite beautiful. Wednesday nights are fiesta nights, so much fun and a great show! Horseback riding is a mere $10 and is run right from the resort. Check out the on-site museum at RIMS. Definitely try to catch a sunset one evening on Bailey’s Cay. And must I really tell you to sign up for night dives and the dolphin experience? Without a question: DO IT.

Thank you AKR for making my stay so wonderful!

Room Tip: Hillside rooms are inexpensive and have a wonderful view. They are quite cozy and are conveniently s...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank TravelChickStigs
Tyler, TX
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed at AKR for just a four night stay. Just a quick father - son scuba trip.

This is a very nice resort. It is not luxury per se but the setting is gorgeous and it is certainly VERY comfortable.

First, many of the commenters here on TA speak poorly of the food. This concerned me as I am a bit of a foodie. See my other reviews if concerned about my perspective. I can eat anything but I like really good food. While the meals were not gourmet they were solid comfort food. Hearty breakfasts with cold and hot options. Great French Toast, very good egg and omelet dishes and a Honduran special with egg, tortilla, avocado and beans that was wonderful. Good coffee. Lunches and dinners will generally give you 2-3 choices including meat, seafood, and vegetarian. Lunches varied. Burgers, chicken sandwich, buffet line cold cut sandwiches, grilled shrimp, very good soups. The breads were always excellent. Dinners were a strong point. I would advise choosing the seafood option. I had wonderful red snapper, sea bass, and a shrimp bisque. A pork tenderloin was also melt in mouth tender. The only disappointment in anything I ate the entire trip was the Filet Mignon. Just not a tender cut. Portions were always generous.

You pay extra for drinks. Water, tea and coffee are free. But prices are very reasonable. Sodas are $2 for 500ml. Beers are $2.50. 2 for 1 during 5-7pm happy hour. Buy a 6 pack during happy hour and bring to your room. There is a fridge. There is also a snack shop if you need a chip or candy fix.

Rest assured, you will be fed plenty and well.

The resort is very casual. Shorts and Ts are the rule. Staff are very kind and helpful. Not once was I pushed to do anything. No excursion hawking. Nothing. A nice break from other places I've stayed.

Rooms are basic but nice. Wood floors, comfortable beds, plenty of room. Very clean and daily service was excellent. Hot water aplenty. We had no concern about security. I'd recommend the rooms on the island / key. AC is nice to have and the views are great. We had a view of the key and two double beds for father - son. If I were to go back with my wife I'd request a room on the far side of the island. I think they are all queen or king. Just an extra 2 minute walk and gorgeous views of the surf and sunsets.

We went for an intense diving experience aiming to pack as many dives in 3 days as possible. Theoretically that would have been 12 (3 boat dives plus one shore dive on two days, plus 3 boat dives and night boat dive on another). We got in 8. Weather was awful when we arrived. So the resort bussed divers to other side of the island where the boats had been moved. We got in two morning dives each of these two days but the afternoon storms precluded additional boat or shore dives. Our last day we got in 4 dives. Two morning. One afternoon. One evening.

Dive masters (Alson and John) and boat captain (Leo) were incredibly helpful. Really good wildlife spotters. Very forgiving of our occasional issues. Very fair in meeting needs of beginner and experienced divers.

Dive sites were excellent. Generally excellent coral. One site was bleached. Lots of fish. A couple turtles. Lobster. A couple eel. Night dive revealed eel, octopus, lobster, shrimp. We also did the shark dive. They seemed nearly tame. About five 6-10 foot reef shark. Very cool. Responsibly done.

If I were to go back we would do the dolphin experience. Much more intimate and involved than the typical.

There are a few activities for non divers. Zip lines, horse rides, the dolphins, snorkeling, sea kayak, beach spots, and trips to WestEnd. We did not take in any of these.

Travelers were from all over. A few Europeans. Many Canadians. There was one larger group from the States that were nice but a bit dominant. Just loud as big groups tend to get.

Tipping worked out fine. I followed other TA advice and brought a load of cash. I think about $50 per day of stay would reasonably take care of restaurant wait staff and dive masters and dive boat captains as well as housekeeping, taxi boat drivers, etc.

Overall a great stay. Would certainly go back.

Room Tip: Get a room on the far side of key for best views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank austinmdpedi
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Recently returned from AKR and won't be returning. Whilst the staff were great (Perry, Marcos, Corven, Jeremy, Joe and happy old Hector in particular) our room was not good. We were staying in a superior hill room and neither the layout of the room or cleanliness of the bathroom impressed. I had to clean the toilet myself as best I could and had I been near a shop would have bought some bleach for it also - nothing superior about it at all. We had tried to book a superior key room but had been told there weren't any available and these rooms my well be better (according to some of the people we met who were staying in them they were). The food was fine, but not brilliant and quite often was lukewarm (as was the coffee). The dive set-up is very good and since that is the main reason for coming here it was just as well. We enjoyed the diving (although the reef wasn't in as good a condition as I thought it would be) and we met some great fellow divers who have become friends. Some of the people staying had returned to the resort several times - we won't be :-(

Room Tip: We had a superior hill room and could hear traffic noise from the road behind - try for a key room i...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cocolobo
Cocolobo
#3 of 7 in West End
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Been to Anthony's Key Resort? Share your experiences!