“Great hostel, excellent owner”

Roatan Backpackers' Hostel
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I only stayed three nights in November in this hostel, and unfortunately (bad weather) spent most of my days there as well. We arrived at the beginning of a storm, and it was apparently the first of the year. Bad luck for us since we didn't spend much time on the beach, but the hostel was super accommodating. The owner, Mel, and her two kids invited us to play board games with them one afternoon and the rest of the guests were super outgoing as well. This hostel definitely has a family-vibe, and for only $10 per night if you're in a shared room, you're getting what you pay for. I would suggest paying the extra $20 for a private room if you need a bit more space, because when all 6 guests are in the room its a bit crowded (again this was probably only because it was pouring rain that everyone was at the hostel). All the cab fees were cheap too from this location to head to both West End and West Bay, the two best spots for going out or being on the water. Definitely would recommend this place for those looking to vacation and not spend a ton of money on a hotel.

Room Tip: If you're able, pay the extra $10 ($20 a night) for the private room if you don't want to be...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 29, 2013

I really enjoyed my week long stay here. There are both dorms and private rooms, all of which are bright, clean, and comfortable. I met a lot of great people and hope I can go back soon! The whole place was really beautiful too, surrounded by a garden the owner, Mel, planted herself. There is also a pool which was great for lounging in to cool off from the hot weather.

I did my PADI diving course though a contact from Mel and can't say enough about how incredible the experience was. Don't be fooled by people who tell you that only West Bay is the place to be, that isn't true! I was able to walk to the diving school in the mornings, just 15 minutes down the beach from the hostel. Plus they take you in the boat to all the really cool places to dive. Crystal clear water, funky reefs, and lots of marine life to gawk at!

Everything was great and Mel was so kind and helpful! I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
hostelMel, Owner at Roatan Backpackers' Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

I'm glad you had a great time, we enjoyed your company! And congrats on getting certified.
Hope you can make it back again sometime in the future.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

If you are looking for a place where people are not friendly, where people do not interact with each other, where the scenery sucks and the water is cold, well I don't suggest going to Roatan Backpackers Hostel then!!!! I am really kicking myself for only staying for 1 week.

My adventure began with 2 friendly smiles from Carla and Jorge who were sent out to pick me up from the airport. Once we arrived at the Hostel there were folks from around the world ready to shake hands and major hugs to welcome me to the jungle.

I highly recommend a visit to Roatan Backpackers Hostel. I didn't even see as much as a spider this trip. If you are looking for an awesome friendly Hostel in the middle of the jungle....... This is the place!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Archdawg

Thanks so much for your review Archie! We have really great guests, and it's the fun atmosphere that really makes the hostel such a great place. I love my little business! I wish you had been able to stay 2 weeks too!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I went there by accident through friend. Came late because I drove there from Atlanta. No problem.

Mel, the owner is the sweetest person you can imagine helping with everything possible.
There, nothing really nothing is a problem.
And I had some very unusal challenges to solve like finding a home for my newly found family, Mel made it happen. Apart from that I could hang my hammock were I wanted to and even sleep there at night watching the stars, floated in in the pool or hang on the porch with the other guests and plan the next adventure improve my language skills depending on the guests language. Cheap and great diving nearby at octopuss. A must do.
Also a great library is there waiting upstairs.
I can only talk about the dorms and cheap appartments regarding cleanness and beauty. It is central america, not a sterile 5 star hotel sprayed with desinfectants, parfumes and insect poisening on daily basis.
But Mel has also spotless apartments like the one Melinda was in. For the more conservative folks.
If you are afraid of the occasional ant or lizzard stay at home. The shared kitchen and dorms obviosly depend on the guest living in there. The outside is totally clean.
If you want to drive there from the US with your car it is Easy and fun. Just takes while. Mel still need to post my interview.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Truly an excellent find, "The new Cando" suited me perfectly, great place and price allowing for a couple weeks stay to enjoy my first visit on Roatan. My accommodations were simple but clean, private, yet a wide range of hostel friends a few steps away for socializing and entertainment. A relaxed and comfortable environment in a beautiful garden setting with lovely designed pool for cooling down after a day of Roatan adventure.
I was pleasantly surprised with ballons on my door and birthday cake, adding such a welcoming, warm something special to my stay. Celebrating my new year with Mel and her boys will be a memory I will have forever. I'm sure not everyone gets that if it's your birthday.
Mel is a wonderful, pleasant host. Consistently helpful with great information.
I recommend Roatan Backpackers' Hostel, the name says' it all, it's not a fancy hotel, it is a comfortable, safe, fun, balanced, beautiful, well kept and evolving place to stay while getting a true feel for island life.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Roatan Backpackers' Hostel is truly a gem! The place was immaculate and had shaded hammocks everywhere to relax after a long day exploring the Island.

The owner, Mel, was truly a delight. She was able to direct us straight to great snorkeling spots within walking distance and a wonderful secluded restaurant! You name it, and she could tell you where to find it.

I truly can't wait to go back and spend a much longer time at this Hostel. Like Mel said to us on the first day "cheap doesn't have to mean dirty" and she definitely delivered!

Thank you for such a wonderful stay! I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Because of all the great reviews and beautiful pictures, I excitedly booked my accommodations here for my visit to Roatan. I had a very long day and didn't get in until 7pm. I was exhausted and excited to know that a private studio was waiting for me with my own, clean bathroom (I had stayed in a hostel the night prior) comfy clean bed and space for me to relax and enjoy. Since it was late Mel was inside her home already and I walked up to knock on the door. The outside area was a mess. Covered with trash, kids toys, a can with plastic bottles exc. I figured that my room would be nice and that it was probably just a busy day. We get to the room I am staying in and the second I enter, I kill at least 5 HUGE ants that looked like fire ants. There were cob webs and spiders hanging from the ceiling, urine and toilet paper and hair stuck on the toilet seat with urine and toilet paper inside the toilet. The kitchen was dirty and dingy and upon opening the cabinet saw a huge millipede. I was pretty disgusted so asked Mel to switched, she showed me a room upstairs which was a bit better but the fan was rusted and covered in dust as well as the bed. When I sat on the bed, there were tons of little bugs. I actually left that night to find more clean and a lot more comfortable accommodations in West End. Her place is pretty remote as well.

Mel is very sweet and did try to make me feel comfortable. I am just not ok with paying for a bed with four walls and having it be dirty and filled with bugs. I was very pleased to receive a refund and she seems genuinely concerned with wanting to fulfill the needs of her guests.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank Christina C
hostelMel, Owner at Roatan Backpackers' Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

I'm really sorry that Christina was disappointed with the hostel, and I fully refunded her stay as well as apologizing. The bathroom had been cleaned, but I had left the door open as I was expecting her in the morning, so it looks like my boys went in and used the bathroom- so embarrassing, but a lesson learned to lock the door for any units that I have cleaned and ready! I hadn't anticipated any arrival into the room I moved her to, and had just cleaned the fan, so some of the freed-up dust blew on to the bed when it was turned on. Normally guests find the hostel clean and well maintained, so I'll take this as a learning experience to make sure to keep up our standard.
The occasional bug is part of life in the tropics. I fumigate every month, but a few ants entering an accommodation is not within my control.
I'm sad to have disappointed a guest, and will do my best not to do this in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandy Bay
9 mi away
Fantasy Island Beach Resort
Fantasy Island Beach Resort
#5 of 5 in French Harbour

Been to Roatan Backpackers' Hostel? Share your experiences!