“Hostel in Paradise!!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Kimberley, Canada
“Hostel in Paradise!!!”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

If you are looking for a place where people are not friendly, where people do not interact with each other, where the scenery sucks and the water is cold, well I don't suggest going to Roatan Backpackers Hostel then!!!! I am really kicking myself for only staying for 1 week.

My adventure began with 2 friendly smiles from Carla and Jorge who were sent out to pick me up from the airport. Once we arrived at the Hostel there were folks from around the world ready to shake hands and major hugs to welcome me to the jungle.

I highly recommend a visit to Roatan Backpackers Hostel. I didn't even see as much as a spider this trip. If you are looking for an awesome friendly Hostel in the middle of the jungle....... This is the place!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Archdawg
hostelMel, Owner at Roatan Backpackers' Hostel, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thanks so much for your review Archie! We have really great guests, and it's the fun atmosphere that really makes the hostel such a great place. I love my little business! I wish you had been able to stay 2 weeks too!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I went there by accident through friend. Came late because I drove there from Atlanta. No problem.

Mel, the owner is the sweetest person you can imagine helping with everything possible.
There, nothing really nothing is a problem.
And I had some very unusal challenges to solve like finding a home for my newly found family, Mel made it happen. Apart from that I could hang my hammock were I wanted to and even sleep there at night watching the stars, floated in in the pool or hang on the porch with the other guests and plan the next adventure improve my language skills depending on the guests language. Cheap and great diving nearby at octopuss. A must do.
Also a great library is there waiting upstairs.
I can only talk about the dorms and cheap appartments regarding cleanness and beauty. It is central america, not a sterile 5 star hotel sprayed with desinfectants, parfumes and insect poisening on daily basis.
But Mel has also spotless apartments like the one Melinda was in. For the more conservative folks.
If you are afraid of the occasional ant or lizzard stay at home. The shared kitchen and dorms obviosly depend on the guest living in there. The outside is totally clean.
If you want to drive there from the US with your car it is Easy and fun. Just takes while. Mel still need to post my interview.

• Stayed August 2013
San Rafael, California
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Truly an excellent find, "The new Cando" suited me perfectly, great place and price allowing for a couple weeks stay to enjoy my first visit on Roatan. My accommodations were simple but clean, private, yet a wide range of hostel friends a few steps away for socializing and entertainment. A relaxed and comfortable environment in a beautiful garden setting with lovely designed pool for cooling down after a day of Roatan adventure.
I was pleasantly surprised with ballons on my door and birthday cake, adding such a welcoming, warm something special to my stay. Celebrating my new year with Mel and her boys will be a memory I will have forever. I'm sure not everyone gets that if it's your birthday.
Mel is a wonderful, pleasant host. Consistently helpful with great information.
I recommend Roatan Backpackers' Hostel, the name says' it all, it's not a fancy hotel, it is a comfortable, safe, fun, balanced, beautiful, well kept and evolving place to stay while getting a true feel for island life.

Ruston, Louisiana
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Roatan Backpackers' Hostel is truly a gem! The place was immaculate and had shaded hammocks everywhere to relax after a long day exploring the Island.

The owner, Mel, was truly a delight. She was able to direct us straight to great snorkeling spots within walking distance and a wonderful secluded restaurant! You name it, and she could tell you where to find it.

I truly can't wait to go back and spend a much longer time at this Hostel. Like Mel said to us on the first day "cheap doesn't have to mean dirty" and she definitely delivered!

Thank you for such a wonderful stay! I can't wait to return!

• Stayed May 2013
Oakland
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Because of all the great reviews and beautiful pictures, I excitedly booked my accommodations here for my visit to Roatan. I had a very long day and didn't get in until 7pm. I was exhausted and excited to know that a private studio was waiting for me with my own, clean bathroom (I had stayed in a hostel the night prior) comfy clean bed and space for me to relax and enjoy. Since it was late Mel was inside her home already and I walked up to knock on the door. The outside area was a mess. Covered with trash, kids toys, a can with plastic bottles exc. I figured that my room would be nice and that it was probably just a busy day. We get to the room I am staying in and the second I enter, I kill at least 5 HUGE ants that looked like fire ants. There were cob webs and spiders hanging from the ceiling, urine and toilet paper and hair stuck on the toilet seat with urine and toilet paper inside the toilet. The kitchen was dirty and dingy and upon opening the cabinet saw a huge millipede. I was pretty disgusted so asked Mel to switched, she showed me a room upstairs which was a bit better but the fan was rusted and covered in dust as well as the bed. When I sat on the bed, there were tons of little bugs. I actually left that night to find more clean and a lot more comfortable accommodations in West End. Her place is pretty remote as well.

Mel is very sweet and did try to make me feel comfortable. I am just not ok with paying for a bed with four walls and having it be dirty and filled with bugs. I was very pleased to receive a refund and she seems genuinely concerned with wanting to fulfill the needs of her guests.

7 Thank Christina C
hostelMel, Owner at Roatan Backpackers' Hostel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
I'm really sorry that Christina was disappointed with the hostel, and I fully refunded her stay as well as apologizing. The bathroom had been cleaned, but I had left the door open as I was expecting her in the morning, so it looks like my boys went in and used the bathroom- so embarrassing, but a lesson learned to lock the door for any units that I have cleaned and ready! I hadn't anticipated any arrival into the room I moved her to, and had just cleaned the fan, so some of the freed-up dust blew on to the bed when it was turned on. Normally guests find the hostel clean and well maintained, so I'll take this as a learning experience to make sure to keep up our standard.
The occasional bug is part of life in the tropics. I fumigate every month, but a few ants entering an accommodation is not within my control.
I'm sad to have disappointed a guest, and will do my best not to do this in the future.
Monmouth, Illinois, United States
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I have been to Roatan three times so far this year and are headed back in October to stay a year. I wanted to stay some place a little different and get a good feel for the island. I have never stayed at a Hostel, we have always rented homes if staying somewhere this long and on short trips or where we move around a lot we have always stayed at hotels. We were there for 18 days and Mel was not only great source of information she became a friend that we look forward to seeing again soon. We stayed in the one bedroom casita and the front porch area was perfect for reading and enjoying the mornings. There are several places close by to eat and two of them became favorites and I must say I am not sure I would have eaten at either place if we had not stayed at Mel's. The prices are very cheap and the food was good. El Paso has a great view every night and I never left hungry or paid more than 10.00 for both of us. There is also a little store a 5 min walk that carried Mountain Dew (very important) and the lady running it and her son were very helpful with my phone. Kim and I had a very hectic schedule in the day, to try and get ready to move there but we walked several hours each day in the general area and met many wonderful people and found a house not to far from there. It was very hot while we were there and the pool was perfect. Her boys and I made up some new games and had a blast. I had a general idea of what I was hoping to get out of our stay there, and it was all that I had hoped for and much more.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Bryon R
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Mel is the perfect host and the hostel/house is very nice, clean and well equipped. Mel really took the time to explain me how everything worked out, she made it easy to feel comfortable just hanging out at the hostel and to feel secure moving around with the taxis and collectivos. She knows what she's talking about! The area (Sandy Bay) is very relax and the beach is great with amazing snorkeling spots. I really liked that the hostel was outside of West End (wich is more crowded), even if I was diving there, it's just a 8 minutes taxi or collectivo ride and it's very easy to move around, secure and cheap. Hanging out by the swimming pool is nice too. I will be back next year Mel, for longer !

1 Thank Mariechristine330
Mayoka Boutique Hotel
#4 of 5 in Sandy Bay
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Roatan Backpackers' Hostel? Share your experiences!