“bodacious bbq hosts”

GreenLeadersGold level
roatan
“bodacious bbq hosts”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

To all the hostelers that participated in the bodacious and superb BBQ...It was the most intriguing night of the 4 weeks, in my opinion...

The host of the BBQ was the residents at the hostel and not the owner, Mel. So, whoever wrote the negative comments prior to this post should check their facts please. In the 37 countries that I've been to, I feel, I have met the best and most sincere people at Mel's. My rating? 9 out of 10 but I have to give the service a 10!

I believe there isn't a place on the island or the world, for that matter, that can beat Mel and her family! Mel and her family are so kind, caring, and treat people with the utmost respect that it is un-matching - I believe I have some authority on this due to being through some terrible countries and experiences. I say this because I never had a bit of problems with the rooms, my stay, rules, and dining (of course, it's not 5 star dining but let's remember this is a hostel!).

I have felt and witnessed Mel accept the world into her hostel and the locals are neat, respectful, and so friendly! I've all ready planned my stay for Oct to April 2013/14. My experience here has shown me if someone is having a problem at the hostel - talk to Mel and she deals with them. She is always open for suggestions and a hands on owner!

I have read some false truths about this place and maybe in some respect someone wasn't comfortable enough to speak up for themselves. It kinda' makes me a bit sad that this person felt they couldn't stand up for themselves and come to a solution with the owner.

I feel they have done themselves a disservice and the hostel a disservice. If someone truly felt they were poisoned at a BBQ hosted by the residents they should have said something to Mel to prevent something happening in the future. It's very odd to read that though because this BBQ was attended by 15 other adults and 2 children that all were healthy and had a great time! It's funny, we are currently planning a BBQ for this Friday for the new guests that came through! - If you are in town feel free to stop by and join in the fun!!!!

I must add....no one was locked out due to the fact that there are key codes on the doors with all residence having the code. If you were locked out maybe you were trying something illegal and shouldn't have been there in the first place. The pool is a great bonus during those down times to cut the heat.

SO!!!! COME ONE! COME ALL! To the best bodacious BBQ in Roatan! We promise not to poison anyone! hahahhahha! Only one suggestion, I would recommend to Mel - - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - could there be more BBQ get togethers - it's a bonding experience for everyone staying!!! LOVING MY STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank paul m
hostelMel, Owner at Roatan Backpackers' Hostel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thanks Paul, we love having you here! For anyone reading this review that isn't sure about what Paul is referring to (about being poisoned at a BBQ), there was a very negative review posted, which the poster commented that they were poisoned- that has since been removed as it was incorrectly posted for our hostel.
We really have a wonderful environment at our hostel, which is largely due to the amazing guests we have, many which stay here for weeks or months- kind of feels like extended family :)
Mel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This place is awesome. . I've been to many hostels but none that had a pool! Also nearby the beaches and a quick taxi to town. Also there's a place to eat some catratcho sabor right at the corner. Just amazing. The owner will help you get done whatever you want. She's there for you!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I recently had a great stay at this hostel and would recommend it to anymore traveling to Roatan! Sandy Bay is a unique location -- close to West End and Coxen Hole with a friendly local community and cheap food right down the road. The hostel is safe and welcoming with a nice pool, interesting book exchange, hammocks and a cozy common room upstairs. The owner has tons of information about the island and can point you in the right direction of things to check out close by. I spent many great nights playing board games, chatting on the deck and meeting interesting people from around the world. Definitely glad I came here and hope to come back in the future.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Roatán, Islas de la Bahia, Honduras
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Hostel is in walking distance to the less crowded sandy bay beach/reef. The upstairs single dormer rooms are the best value around for solo travelers. It is a quick ride into either west end for diving/beach or coxen hole for groceries.

Nick

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This hostel completely misrepresents itself in the photos it posts online. During our visit, the pool was a dirty, murky mess, we didn't dare even dip a toe in it. There was trash and broken kid's toys scattered everywhere, even on the steps where they could be tripped over and cause a nasty fall.

The dorm room was the size of a prison cell, and was dark, dingy and depressing.

EVERYTHING costs extra, wifi, linens, even water. Want water? You gotta buy an entire 5-gallon jug from the owner or nothing. Absurd.

Room Tip: There aren't any good rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank MicroSim7686
hostelMel, Owner at Roatan Backpackers' Hostel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
I'm very sorry you didn't enjoy your stay, and that you didn't share your negative feelings with my while you were here, so that I could try to change that.
I am a certified pool and spa operator with the NSPF, normally our pool is in beautiful, clear condition, however as we are in rainy season and had 10 days straight, the surrounding gardens overflowed and ran off into the pool, creating a lack of clarity- the pool chemicals remained at the correct level to be safe for swimming, but it wasn't very inviting looking, and there wasn't much that I could do to resolve this until the rain let up.
I'm sorry if there were any toys underfoot. I live on property with my two sons, 8 and 10, and most of our guests enjoy the family atmosphere- my kids participate in sorting the recycling and helping get people settled in. I try to make sure that they pick up their belongings, and I will talk to them about your comments so that they realize the importance of this.
The dorm rooms are small but sufficiently lit, and there's a great breezy porch for guests to socialize on, so that no one needs to be sitting in their room during the day.
In order to keep the price low, it's just a base price for the bed of $9/night. Some guests use internet, others don't, so it's easier to have that as an extra fee. Tap water in all of the island is non-drinkable- it's fine for cooking with, brushing teeth with, but not recommended for drinking. There are plenty of little stores around that sell small bottles of water, and for guests wanting to reduce their environmental impact by not using a bunch of small bottles, I sell the 5 gallon jugs of water.
I hope you enjoyed your time in Roatan despite not enjoying your hostel stay.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We just got home, and already wish we could go back!

We got the one bedroom unit, and were thrilled to have the private unit with its own bathroom and kitchen for such a great price! Mel and her family were so welcoming, and always eager to help us however they could, including giving us rides and hooking us up with all the basics we needed (water, toilet paper, etc).

Heads up that the hostel is about a 45 minute walk to West End, which is where we spent most of our time. But we found it to be a nice way to start our morning (with a delicious coffee shop on the way), and it was very easy and inexpensive to get a cab back at night!

All in all it was a great experience, and I'd stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Mel and her hostel are absolutely wonderful! The location is great... a much more local vibe than the heavily touristy areas, but still VERY close to anything and everything you would want to do or see. Roatan is a great little island and we will be back for more! We stayed the week before Thanksgiving, but we missed the potluck dinner!!

My husband and I stayed in the double private room for 7 days and it was the perfect place for us to be while we worked on our PADI open water diver course over at Octopus Divers (and the dive shop gave us a discount since we were staying with Mel... another plus for sure!) We would have stayed longer if we could have! We have stayed in a LOT of hostels while travelling and this place is definitely on the top of our list for character, safety, cleanliness, facilities... the list goes on and on... Stay here and you won't be disappointed!!

Room Tip: Mel's website has all of the info you need!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mayoka Boutique Hotel
#4 of 5 in Sandy Bay
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Roatan Backpackers' Hostel? Share your experiences!