“Worth Every penny, dont use ships excursion save and go with them!”
Review of Bodden Tours

Bodden Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Bodden Tours strives to make your trip to Roatan memorable and unique. There's lots to do, let us create a special tour just for you, featuring a private guide/vehicle for your group on our Best of Roatan Tour, Mayan Jungle Canopy Zip-n-Dip Group Excursion, Offshore Snorkeling or Fishing trip, or simply roundtrip transport to West Bay Beach. Don't forget Victor's Monkey Business...spend up-close time with monkeys, parrots and other island animals!
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We decided to use Bodden Tours when we saw the price was way better than using the same type of tour through the cruise ship. I was a little apprehensive about meeting up with them but they emailed me everything I needed to know including a map of the area. We choose to take the taxi up the hill and it was only $8 for all four of us. That was well worth it since it was a pretty steep looking hill and a little chaotic. They brought us straight to Victor's team where he introduced us to our guide, Wilton. We had chosen the private best of Roatan tour and it was awesome. One of the things we were interested in doing was going to a local school and passing our some school supplies and then visiting Ms. Peggy's hospital. I wanted my children to see how blessed they were and what schools are like in other countries. That ended up being the highlight of our trip. We went and saw the monkeys, got breakfast at a local supermarket, went all over the island and did some shopping with the local people and then spent the rest of the day at West Bay Beach. My only complaint was the annoying people who bother you on the beach, but it's like that at a lot of the Carribean beaches so that had nothing to do with our tour guide. He was wonderful, showing us lots of interesting things about the island, and he made us feel comfortable and at home. I would recommend this tour to any one who want a unique experience for a great price!! You let him know what you want to do and they will make it happen. BTW: for four people and the monkey house is was $120. We also snorkeled off of the beach with a local tour guide who had a boat there for $75 for an hour and we rented chairs with umbrellas for $20. All that and lunch and we still paid less than the $350 it would have cost us through the ship!

1  Thank MelissaV999
Write a ReviewReviews (2,915)
All reviews
in 45 reviews
"air conditioned van"
in 69 reviews

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I was very specific when making the reservation and again when we checked in for our tour that we wanted a driver that could give us a good tour of the island including the history and the culture. I'm a professional tour coordinator and my husband is a hospitality and tourism teacher. An important part of travel for us is learning and experiencing the local culture. Winton the driver we were assigned is much more suited for people simply looking for someone to drive them to the beach.

His idea of a tour was pointing out the window and saying this is a school, this is the post office, no information on the school system, government, history of the island etc - we had to ask many questions to try and draw out the most basic information. A good example of this is we asked to go to a local restaurant for lunch and instead he took us to the very tourist beach area, when we told him we didn't want to eat there he took us to an American beach resort for lunch, finally on the 3rd try we found Hatties, a local restaurant, which was excatly what we were looking for! We talked to another group at the restaurant also on at Bodden Tour and their driver had taken them directly there with no problem when they requested a local restuarant for lunch. Their drive was giving them a very good tour of the island. It was disappointing for us to find out we have been assigned such a poorly informed driver.

We were so disappointed and uncomfortable with the tour we simply asked him to take us back to the cruise port after lunch -after many tours in many different countries this was the first time we have ever cut a tour so short.

We did enjoy the visit to the monkey house and seeing this beautiful island. Unfortunately after the disappointing experience with our driver I don't feel comfortable recommending Bodden Tours to future visitors.

1  Thank abbyndrewmom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Our day trip to Roatan in July 2013 was fabulous and it was all due to Victor Bodden tours and especially our guide Kenny. We came to Roatan on the Carnival Dream. We looked at other Shore Excursions, but we didn't want to be on a bus with 40 other people with stuff just whizzing by and stops that were picked by the company, not us. We booked the the Best of Roatan Tour and it was the best excursion of our 7 day cruise. Yes, you have to walk out of the port area to meet the vans,but it is SO worth it. The minute we saw Kenny's friendly smile we knew we were going to have a great day. The first thing he said was "what do you want to do today".

We didn't get a stale, canned tour. When we mentioned that we would like to see a bit of the neighborhoods, but would also like to try the local beer, we were off on a great ride. We saw neighborhoods from the local perspective. Kenny knows everything about the island (he has been helping with tours since he was 10) and can answer any question. He took us to a local supermarket so we could have a local beer for the road. Kenny went in and explained the beers (ask him about man beers vs. lady beers, its one of our new jokes!) and he also helped the kids pick out local sodas.

After a tour of the island we went to Monkey Business. DON'T MISS THIS! Most of our group zip lined there. It is great for little kids to adults. We had one wimp (me) who stayed on the ground. The staff let me go up to the first platform and get "jumping off pics". It was great. Then Kenny walked me through the compound and showed me the best places to stand to get "whizzing by" pics. While we waited, we talked like friends. Kenny is very open and interesting to talk to. He said one of his favorite things to do on a tour is get to talk to people from around the world. The rest of the guys at Monkey Business were great. Very friendly and funny! They worry about your safety, but you are having so much fun you hardly notice. Make sure to save time to visit the monkeys and the parrots. Be prepared for the monkeys to pick your pockets!!

After Monkey Business we wanted some beach time. Kenny gave us a couple options and we chose Bananarama. It was a great value and the food is really yummy! We had beach loungers and the waitress also held a table for us under the roof in case it rained. Make sure to bring your snorkel gear. Kenny hung out near the beach so we could leave all our stuff and explore without worrying about it's safety. After several hours of beach fun, it was time to head back. When the beach vendors came by, Kenny helped us know what to buy and what to avoid. (my boyfriend ended up with some great cigars!) Another nice thing about Kenny is he kept track of the ship time, which is different than the local time so we had no worries about being late. He dropped us off right at the terminal and it was the only negative part to the day. We had to say goodbye!

We have traveled to many Caribbean islands and can feel whether there is a welcoming spirit pretty quickly. Roatan definitely has that feel and Kenny is one of the best tour guides we have ever had. We will be back to Roatan, we will use Victor Bodden again and we will definitely request Kenny!

3  Thank 480michelec480
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I found out about Victor Bodden tours on Trip Advisor. I took my mom and best friend on their first cruise last summer (early July, 2012). I don't remember our driver's name, but he was awesome. He took us to a beach where we could snorkel (we had brought our own gear--$20 at Walmart) and the brightly colored fish and coral came right up to the beach! Amazing! My mom had a massage on the beach and it was mega cheap and she said it was excellent. We chose to do the "Monkey Business" trip which was the best $5 a piece we spent on the whole trip. Seriously. $5 and you get to have little baby monkeys climb all over you and birds sit on your head for photos. HA. It made for lots of really cute pictures and a very fun experience! Our driver also took us to a marketplace where locals sold their handmade crafts. My friend bought a few things for her kids. And we also wanted to go to the cameo factory. We didn't see anything we couldn't live without (we were a little disappointed, actually), but were happy to have the experience. He was completely on OUR schedule, so he returned us to the ship when we requested. He offered lots of suggestions, but left the decisions up to US as far as where to go, in what order, and when to return. I would TOTALLY do this again if I ever make it back to Roatan! (crossing my fingers!) And I know my mom and friend feel the SAME WAY!