“Garifuna, Mangrove, and Iguana Farm Tour-Roatan (Island Marketing)”

Island Marketing Ltd Roatan Cruise Excursions - Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Roatan Excursions Guide to shore tours for Caribbean cruise ship passengers visiting Roatan. Our Excursions range from snorkeling, Island tours, scuba diving, canopy zipline, fishing and Seaplane adventures
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Carnival Magic could not dock in Mahogany Bay due to weather, but our tour guides, Daniel and his mother, Diana, expected as much because of the strong winds, so we were easily able to connect. Most of our original group were going on different tours, so we had to tag along as they were dropped off, but Daniel told us so much about Roatan that the time spent was worthwhile. Diana took my friend and me (the only two people) on the Garifuna, Mangrove, and Iguana Farm tour. Diana was very accommodating since both of us have issues that can make walking difficult. She stopped at a supermarket so that we could buy snacks, and she gave us a hand whenever necessary. While the island of Roatan is not somewhere that I would probably go as a destination unless I were very interested in diving or snorkeling, what we learned about its way of life was very interesting. We drove through an original Garifuna village; I had never heard of Garifuna before this tour. The iguana farm was not quite what I expected as the iguanas were free-ranging, but we did see a lot of the little creatures, including an albino, and we were able to feed them leaves and touch them. It seems that many of the females were missing as they were out laying eggs! The mangrove boat tour was fun and well worth taking. We ended up at Parrot Tree Plantation Resort where we sat under a palapa and had a snack. This tour gave us a great overview of Roatan, and Diana was fabulous! I think children would especially enjoy this tour (they could go swimming at Parrot Tree Plantation) while parents could enjoy sitting on the beach.

All reviews
"garifuna village"
"smaller group"
"west end"
in 17 reviews
"highly recommend this excursion"
in 5 reviews
"booked this tour"
in 8 reviews
"pirates of the caribbean"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Again, booked through Island Marketing and it was AWESOME... Karen our driver for the day was most gracious and super friendly... did what we wanted and not pushy.... we did the monkey adventure, the iguana farm, and bird sanctuary... also beach at bananarama dive beach front resort and swam and had a couple of local beers... plenty of time to be leisurely lazy and have a great time. Karen was informative and knew a lot of history about the island and Honduras (she was born there) and taught us a lot. When I go back (notice it wasn't IF but WHEN) we will look for Ms. Karen again and book her for another day with out a doubt..... lovely people, beautiful views and beaches...

1  Thank LIKETOTRAVELTN
Reviewed May 26, 2013

OMG!!! My family and I had SO MUCH FUN on this tour!!!! Daniel was GREAT! So glad we decided to book the tour with him. He was very polite and accommodating. He provided a wealth of knowledge as he took us through the city. In addition, we booked a package that included zip lining and snorkeling. If you are a little adventurous, take the time to do both. You will be happy that you did so.

I would definitely recommend Daniel Johnson as a tour guide, and his company! Hopefully we'll see Daniel again in the future.

1  Thank jaimcb
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I found ISLAND MARKETING LTD (CAYMAN)-Roatan Cruise Excursions web site during a search for a good, locally operated snorkel tour while on a cruise ship stop at Roatan. The site offered a tour that was an introductory, 1-tank lesson in scuba for those that had never done it, with a possible opportunity to snorkel thereafter as the more experienced people scuba dived. Price was about $70, if I recall correctly. I clicked the link provided on the page so I could inquire about availability. The web form that opened asked for my contact information, had a space for comments/requests, and asked for a credit card number to hold the reservation. I thought the latter a little unusual, but I was pretty sure I wanted to do the tour if they had an open spot, so I entered the info, typed that I was inquiring about availability, and submitted. A day or so later, I got an email that said in red type across the top: "PLEASE NOTE: This is not a confirmation, it is an availability reply." In the rest of the email, the writer suggested that the introductory scuba lesson activity I had chosen was very limited and that I should really pay $100 for the 2-tank dive: "Please be aware that the one tank discovery dive only offers you the shallow water dive in about 8ft of water and not on the reef. If you book the 2 tank discovery dive you will be able to do your first dive in shallow water and the second tank dive you will get on the boat to get to the reef where you will be diving for about 35ft."

I didn't like the fact that the web site had presented the initial activity I had inquired about as much more interesting and were now trying to sell me something more expensive. Plus, I'm really not that interested in scuba, so I let the email sit while I looked for something else with another operator. After all, the email clearly stated I was not confirmed. I found and booked another activity with a different operator.

Two weeks later, I received an email stating that my reservation had been processed and my credit card had been charged for the $8.75 deposit. I responded, saying I had never confirmed a registration and reminding them that they had not confirmed either, only responded about availability. Long story short, we argued back and forth in several emails. They insist I could not have even accessed the web form that took my CC details without having responded to a confirmation email from them. The $8.75 isn't worth arguing over but I sure won't give my business to, or recommend, a company that presumes without real evidence that the customer was totally in the wrong. Note that even this exchange took place almost two weeks before the intended activity date--plenty of time for the operator to fill the one seat they insisted I'd confirmed. There are too many other good operators in Roatan for anyone to put up this kind of crap.

1  Thank Kaydub08
See more reviews
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was so much fun! You have to walk down a hill to get to the "outside" excursion departure points, because Carnival apparently paid for and maintains the port and won't let the locals pick up there. We met our guide, Brenda, and headed off to see Roatan. It is quite lovely and Brenda was very friendly and informative, sharing a lot of history about Honduras, as she drove us around showing us the sites. The excursion fee included entrance to an iguana reserve park as well as a monkey park. Although reptiles aren't my favorite thing, they are all over the place and were truly cool to watch and feed. The BEST part was the monkey park. Getting to be in the cages and play with the Capuchin monkeys was awesome. They are the softest, sweetest, little critters. My kids were in heaven as the monkeys jumped back and forth off of their heads, shoulders, and backs. The babies were even more adorable. Don't forget your camera, but keep it close or the critters will try to take it from you. They have other monkey species and several other animals that you get to see, but not interact with, as well as beautiful macaws and green parrots you do get to hold. We had the option to add a beach stop to this tour, but had already spent a good amount of time on the sand at our other port of call stops, so we opted for shopping instead. Brenda took us to a shopping area with a nice assortment of souvenir items at great prices. She recommended the homegrown cashews, which were so good! We stopped at a cameo factory in Coxen Hole, too, where we got to see the very intricate brooches and other pieces of jewelry being made on site. Overall, a great experience. Well worth the minimal price paid. Thanks, Brenda!

2  Thank sortofus