“Roatan Shipwreck Snorkeling and Beach Break”

Island Marketing Ltd Roatan Cruise Excursions - Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Roatan Excursions Guide to shore tours for Caribbean cruise ship passengers visiting Roatan. Our Excursions range from snorkeling, Island tours, scuba diving, canopy zipline, fishing and Seaplane adventures
Fort Wayne, Indiana
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Roatan Shipwreck Snorkeling and Beach Break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

We recently visited Roatan and wanted to book a snorkeling tour outside of the cruise line. Since we had visited Roatan before we knew the snorkeling was great and we wanted to do it without all of the crowds. I found the Roatan Cruise Excursion site on the internet. It was a wonderful tour. We arrived at the port early and the guide was there waiting for us. We got lucky and noone else booked the tour so we had the whole boat to just the 4 of us. Jason our guide was wonderful and would quickly explain all of the items that we pointed out. During the beach break we expressed interest in renting a house and Jason graciously gave us a tour. I would highly recommend this tour. Since the boat is smaller it is best for experienced snorkelers.

1 Thank Tammy L

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Zip line and Gubmalimba Park - Carnival Magic Cruise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

This was my first cruise and my husbands 2nd but both of our first to visit the island of Roatan. We absolutely loved the excursion we booked through the cruise line. It started with a bus ride to Gumbalimba Park and the bus ride was enjoyable. We had a very good tour guide who shared lots of information about the country and island. The staff running the zip line was awesome and the park tour was my favorite. There were beautiful plants, flowers, and vegetation everywhere not to mention my favorite iguana's running all over the place. I would love to go back and spend time on one of the beaches as they also looked beautiful.

Vancouver, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Garifuna, Mangrove, Iguana Farm Roatan Island Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Enjoyed learning about the "backroads" and the local life of Roatans. We decided to do a land tour of the island instead of snorkeling or visiting a beach when we ported in Roatan, Honduras. We were thoroughly surprised on how much we enjoyed the private tour by our local, experienced guide (Geslor) who spoke perfect english and was very courteous and friendly through our tour. When you leave the port, make sure that you walk up the hillside about 5 mins on your left as the driver will be waiting outside the security gate. The vehicle was very comfortable and we had a chance to explore the local villages including Garifuna villages, seaside villages on stilts, canoe tour of the mangrove forests (conducted by another tour guide), and visit the iguana farm/parrot tree (which I didn't find as interesting as the iguana farm was too crowded esp with all the iguanas roaming on the sidewalks. We however really enjoyed driving out to the countryside and seeing the local life and villages of Roatan. Geslor was very knowledgeable and gave us more than a taste of the local life - at our request, he brought us to his mother's cafe to taste some good local fare. A bonus was meeting his family at the cafe. We accidently left our camera bag under the front seat in his car and boarded our ship. We then received a call from then cruise Passenger Services informing us that our camera bag was found on shore and returned by the driver to the cruise ship - we were so impressed by his integrity and local hospitality that extended beyond his duty as a tour guide. If you decide on using this tour, ask for Geslor and you will not be disappointed!

1 Thank O J
Houston, Texas
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Good shore excursion for little kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I booked this shore excursion through Royal Caribbean for $66/adult $34/child however we have a 15 month old boy who went with us. Since this was a tender port, the boat picked us up right at the port for a very short ride to the island. It offered great pictures of the ship. A guide/host explained the island and the extra fee events and said read the chalk boards for more information. They pretty much leave you alone after that.
It is quite hilly for a stroller but manageable. There is much to explore on this island.The ruins exhibit was interesting. There are several cages with rescue animals and then there's this grove of trees right off the beach where monkeys roam freely. It's as close to a natural habitat as you can get. My 6 year old had a photo taken with a monkey on his shoulder. (no extra fee) and he held a baby alligator. You have to watch for the times they bring the animals out. The beach is nice but can get a bit crowded. LOTS of shaded areas, good shell hunting. There's something in the sand or water that leave small tack size red circles. Some people were covered. They don't hurt or itch. You can pay extra to swim with sharks and rays and there's a sea lion show.
The buffet was fine as most people mentioned on this site but I thought the drinks were too high. (I guess it's this way at all the attractions -why not-guess I didn't think about the cost of hauling bottles etc to a private island.)
We brought our own snorkeling equip. but I think it was only $15 to rent. The snorkeling was fantastic but not for beginner swimmers because of the corral and current. The reef was full of colorful sights. There are guides at the end of the pier to help and I heard others say they followed a guide but we went real late and the guides were glued to the televised selection of the new Pope. :)
My son enjoyed a dip in the pool-it's small but you can't go wrong with any pool and boys Low-flying planes overhead were quite a treat. I explored the jungle area around the pool and took incredible pictures of the ship. With the right shoes, bug spray, you can explore quite a bit...saw fauna I've never seen before. There were several little coves too. The bathrooms and changing area is very big and clean. The gift shop is also nice sized. In all, it was very nice for us but I would weigh my options with other excursions based on your needs. We are a bit restricted with a toddler. Really research. I write these reviews based on our needs so when you read these things -consider the source.

1 Thank cowboybooth
Edmond
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Interesting tour - Mahogany beach at cruise port better than the beach we went to”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We took the western Caribbean Princess cruise out of Galveston, and did private tours. The Iguana farm is interesting, you will feed and pet iguanas, but I was expecting something large - like a US farm - this was fairly small - but fun - the kids enjoyed it. We decided to go to a beach on the west end, where our tour book indicated the best beaches where - it was crowded, chair to chair people, swimming area was small, facilites kind of dingy - we would have been better off staying at Mahogany Beach, where the ship docks, nice, big, good facilities- and is free, compared to being charged at the beach, plus the cost of being shown around.,
Tour itself was informative, driver was good, enjoyed the discussion of the local culture.

1 Thank HEF2013