“Great Resort to enjoy the Pacific Ocean”

and 1 more site!
Dos Mundos Pacifico
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Dos Mundos is on of the nicest hotels I have been so far in Guatemala. Definitely the best, but also one of the most expensive places in the little town of Monte Rico. The rooms are clean, spacy and with AC. The pool at the bar and the beautiful garden area is more than great and one can really enjoy view. The drinks at the pool bar are quite pricy (50 to 70 Quetzales), but very well done...especially the Micheladas and Piña Coladas.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Dos Mundos Pacifico

Reviewed October 31, 2013

we stayed over 3 nights with my hubby and my 6 and 4 year old little girls, the experience was Great.
The hotel is a very friendly place for families, clean and safe, not luxurious but tropical style . The garden and pools are excellent. We ate most of the time in the hotel's restaurant and the menu was good , a little expensive I think, but decent food. We enjoyed ourselves and had good family fun!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is probably the worst hotel experience in my life. The owners appeared to be on holiday...and apparently one of them was the Chef. Me and my family never experienced such a bad restaurant in our lifes. One of us even got sick from the seafood and had to return to the capital!

The matrasses are put on a basis of cement. Extremely hard and no comfort whatsoever.
When we notified the maid that there was a nest of bats IN our room, she said: 'ohh, were they bothering again? Yeah, people complain about that more often'. Due to a construction error, they love to build their nest in the little houses.

There is no lifeguard at the beach. Very dangerous and one should never enter the ocean.

When we ordered french fries and a few drinks before we continued our journey, we had to wait ONE HOUR!!! After complaining about that, the bartender said: well, I'm not serving you the drinks, because I'm waiting for the french fries to be served' WTF? It was noon and over a 30 degrees, we were dying of thirst, we would have ordered another 2 rounds of drinks in the meantime!

The kitchen had no excuse, and no apologise for the fact that they needed one hour to prepare only 1 portion of french fries.

The pool is nice though, but me and my entire family will NEVER EVER go to this place in our lifes. Horrible.

I didn't mention the four dead cockroaches on the bed yet, I almost forgot.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank 007Jerry1975
Reviewed June 4, 2013

The hotel is a little tropical paradise with 14 bungalows set around a wonderful lush garden with two pools. If you come during the week like me, you’re likely to have the place and pool to yourself during most of the day. The bungalows are big, with huge bathrooms and great rainwater-like showers. They have aircondition – which is badly need when it’s 38° outside like when I was there in early May. The mosquitos are a problem though, but that’s not the hotels fault of course. I used a whole bottle of repellent in two days and still ended up with about 100 bites or so, but that’s just the climate there.

Oh, and one important thing that others have complained about and that I was worried about too : there is TV in every room now !!! They must have listened to the people complaining and installed flatscreen tvs and Sky in every room, so you have hundreds of channels to choose from ( after all the place is too far out of town to walk anywhere, besides there really isn’t any town in the first place, so if you’re in your room from right after sundown because of the mosquitos, at least you have something to do at night).

The restaurant is good, the food is plenty and very tasteful – only quite expensive for Guatemalan standards. I guess you pay for the location plus the fact that they know you can’t really go anywhere else. The Bolognese Pasta is really excellent and the shrimps were good two. The complimentary breakfast is good too, you can add eggs and bacon ( very great crispy bacon I might add) to the continental wich gives you a big bowl of fresh fruit and freshly pressed juices every morning. Plus again you sit almost right on the beach – if that ain’t a perfect breakfast I don’t know what :o) !!

Needless to add the staff is very friendly and always helpful if you have questions. Since there is nothing else to do and due to the heat, I wouldn’t stay here for more than 2 nights though, but that’s just the right amount of time to relax by the pool and listen to the waves crashing in. No one is on the beach though – you can walk on it till about 8 in the morning, after that your feet get fried on the black sand and unless you worked for Baywatch and are an Olympic swimmer, I wouldn’t suggest dropping more than a toe in the ocean since the waves are huge and they pull you right in even if you’re only in the water up to your ankles.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed overnight last week at Dos Mundos Pacifico. I had a lot of fun in the infinity pool. For most of the afternoon, I was the only one in it. Then I read poolside for awhile with a delicious Margarita in hand. The staff was friendly and charming. I had an OK fish dinner there that night and afterwards we sat in the comfortable hammock outside our spacious hammock. A huge rainstorm started just as we retired for the night and it was so soothing to listen to the rain as we drifted off to sleep. I really spent little time on the black beach; preferring the pool deck chairs for my reading time. It was a very pretty scene. I will always remember.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I live on Lake Atitlan, and like to take a break from the high altitude cool from time to time. Monterico is the perfect choice as it is only 4 hours drive from my house to the beach. The area is visited mostly by locals from Guatemala City and Antigua on the weekends, and less by international tourists. For me, this can be a nice getaway to mix with the locals. That said, I find the wealthy locals to be not very polite and their children to be spoiled. I only mention this because these will be your neighbors at the hotel.

The infiniti-edge larger pool that overlooks the gorgeous beach/ocean is very nice and perfectly clean at all times. Beautiful sunsets are common and easy to enjoy from the restaurant, bar, or pool! You are literally on the beach and can easily get down into the powerful waves if you'd like. But Dos Mundos is more isolated from the rest of Monterico's hotel lineup, which I prefer.

The rooms were very spaceous, - 2 queens and 1 double bed or a huge king in room #10, a nice bathroom, nice decor, A/C, warm water "rain" showerhead, patio with hammock, nice tiled floors, and 2 free adult breakfasts included, all for just $90/night (midweek- I presume weekends are prob. $100/night. We felt at times like we had the place to ourselves and the grounds around the bungalows and the pools were clean, tasteful, and pretty.

Dos Mundos is just 1 km beyond the town of Monterico, perfect distance to be away from stuff but near enough to stop at the Tiendas and get snacks and things, or drive in to grab some Pizza at El Mangle hotel (also highly recommended for the food!). The food at Dos Mundos is expensive, but we usually ate at other restaurants instead.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2012

This place is gorgeous. The grounds are grassy, the pools are clean, the staff are friendly, the food is good.There's hammocks on every porch, and there's A/C (!!!). If you want to use the safe, you have to get a key from the front desk, which is a little weird knowing they have access to the safe. The location is nice since it's right on the beach and just a few minutes walk away from "town".

However. I went to bed without a single bug bite, and woke up with over 200 bites. Nasty, nasty bites that itched for days.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family