“Wonderful” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Monterrico
Antigua, Guatemala
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Atelie del Mar last week-end. Wonderful. And I'll be coming back to enjoy the hospitality of the place with Stig and Violeta as the perfect hosts.
The hotel has everything you need with nice and clean rooms. Staff is friendly and service impeccable.
The restaurant serves an exellent fish soup as well as other tasty dishes.
Here is a very big pool and a lovely garden. I liked the music a lot. Violeta has put together various types: Pop, Classic, European, American, and Guatemalan. Of course it might be a matter of preference.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Stigbjorkas, Propietario at Hotel Atelie del Mar, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Thanks for your very nice critic, and most of all for coming back again during your Spanish studies here in Monte Rico. I´m sorry that I was not around to say goodbye and thanks to you personally - missed you with half a minute. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

I stayed here for a few nights a few weeks ago. I was travelling on my own and Stig and Violetta made me really welcome.

The pool is large and lovely and warm. The gardens are beautiful with hammocks scattered about. The food was great, the rooms clean and air-conditioned, and tours can be booked at the hotel.

Stig was particularly helpful at the end of my stay when my car did not turn up and he found me a last minute replacement.

I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stigbjorkas, Propietario at Hotel Atelie del Mar, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Thanks for that nice valuation of your stay here. I´m sorry for the problem with the transport to the airport, but at least we got it fixed and I know that you came in good time.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

We stayed at Atelie del Mar for just one night and in slightly curious circumstances...My wife developed a strong fever the evening we arrived so we could not enjoy the hotel to its full. But we still had a memorable stay.

Stig and Violeta are the perfect hosts and made sure that my wife was looked after, calling the pharmacy, arranging medication, bringing her food in the room and generally ensuring she was as comfortable as could be.

Setting aside my wife's illness, the courtyard/pool area is lovely: lush, green and full of colourful flowers. The pool was a much-appreciated amenity, given the high humidity and hot temperature of Monterrico. It's very large too, it was a weekend with many people around but never felt crowded. A dip was required and hit the spot.

I ate dinner at the hotel restaurant and since I was alone Stig invited me to join him and I passed a pleasant evening with a beer, a great chicken cashew dish and good conversation.

Our bedroom was fairly small but very comfortable and everything was very clean.

So while the circumstances of our stay were not ideal, the hotel was and we couldn't have wished for somewhere better.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stigbjorkas, Propietario at Hotel Atelie del Mar, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thanks for your nice revue. It was such a pity that you couldn´t enjoy your stay completely, and what we tried to do for your wife is nothing to talk about. The good thing was that she at least recovered for the following day so you could go on as planned.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Our family of 4 (kids are 6 & 8) just spent 2 nights at Atelie del Mar. It was the perfect break we needed! The owners Violeta and Stig are fantastic! You feel like you are at home at this hotel. They are friendly and very accomodating. The rooms are clean and a nice size with air conditioning, cable tv with many stations and excellent wifi. Gardens are stunning with hammocks to relax in. If you are planning to go to Monte Rico look no further - this is an excellent price for a top notch hotel. Restaurant had lovely food and it included breakfast in your price. If going to Monte Rico you need to have a pool as the beach isn't that great for swimming - the pool here is huge and warm! They will also book you a tour with a recomended guide through the mangroves.
The art gallery by Violeta is an extra bonus with gorgeous works!

Room Tip: all rooms are great!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kathy A
Stigbjorkas, Propietario at Hotel Atelie del Mar, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Hello Kathy,
Thank you for your revue! We are happy that you were so pleased with your stay here. Violeta sends special thanks for your opinion about the Art Gallery, which in less than two months will be totally renewed. Regards to all of you. We hope everything went well with your further travelling and welcome back whenever you return to Guatemala.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

My boyfriend and I had the pleasure of staying at Atelie del Mar for three night this past week. We originally planned to only stay two, but after the first night we were so pleased with the service as well as the accomodations that we decided to stay for an extra night. Although it was low season, the service was still impecable and the staff was incredibly friendly and attentive. In addition, the property is absolutely beautiful with its lush flora and fauna. I would reccomend Atelie del Mar to anyone looking for a relaxing, comfortable and beautiful place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are happy that you decided to stay the third night and felt so satisfied. We´ve told the staff about your comments so for their part: "Muchas gracias".
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

My wife & I along with our son & my in-laws just stayed two nights here & what an experierance it was from the time we arrived, the owners are so onhands that it felt more like a bed & breakfast then a hotel. I felt safe & the food was exellent. I went to walk on the beach with my son & the owners dog walks with you to protect you, the pool was beautiful & the grounds were amazing. I really didn't want to go home.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stigbjorkas001, Propietario at Hotel Atelie del Mar, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
John - what more to write that we are delighted to read your opinion! We do hope that the plant Laurie got to take home is growing well in your garden! Love to see you here ASAP!
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed here for two weeks while taking daily Spanish lessons in Monte Rico. Being a solo female traveler, safety was my number 1 concern. I must say, the owners of this hotel made me feel extremely safe. I trusted the location entirely in terms of security, as well as for food and hygiene. I ate there every day (raw, unpeeled fruits and vegetables included) and did not get sick once.

The choice of food was excellent, always fresh, always tasty. The pool was kept very clean (and it is, in fact, the biggest one I've seen in Monte Rico). The garden was not overrated: it is clearly a work of art. The AC was always working, as well as the internet.

The best part was the hotel's two owners. They truly care about providing excellent service to their guests and trying to accommodate them as best they can. They are professional, yet very friendly and trustworthy.

For the price, you cannot get better than this in Monte Rico. True, it is a bit pricier than the other backpacker hostels, but you get what you pay for in terms of amenities, safety, and food.

I would definitely recommend this place and would definitely go back.

Thanks for making my stay a pleasantly memorable one! -E.T.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stigbjorkas001, Propietario at Hotel Atelie del Mar, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Hello Emiko - sorry that we haven´t answered your revue before. First of all there is nothing more to say than thanks, and secondly Neko fell to sleep last week and we are missing him, but think that he´s in a better place now than during the last weeks of his life.
We are glad that you came back home safe and without problems and hope to see you here again!
Stig and Violeta