“A Garden of Eden, MUST NOT MISS!!!”

and 1 more site!
Hospedaje Tipico El Retiro
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I must say this has been one of the most magical and precious places i have ever stayed. Plan on being there at least, LEAST, three days. A chill out day in the hammock area by the running river and waterfall... a day (or two) to explore Semuc Champey (one of the most gorgeous places you'll set your eyes on), do the Lanquin bat cave, go hiking and jumping off stuff... and the lodge is awesome. Quaint cabins, rustic but clean and very comfortable and super affordable. The river is right along the edge of the quite massive property (as hostels go for sure) and so its super tranquilo... with a splash of party.
They have tubing which was great fun, really beautiful ride, and you can jump off a tree at the end if you're the adventurous sort... which isn't really that "adventureous" but climbing the tree got the adrenaline pumping. The food is great, my favorite was the family style dinners... great Italian night! The staff is super friendly with great senses of humor and very professional at the same time. The vibe is complete. Sunbathing or jumping off bridges, defintely a game or two of jenga, the sauna, the volleyball, swimming in the river across to the waterfall and hiking up with the cows... its just a fantastic location and a fantastic hostel.... don't miss it!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: The one bed cabins in between the restaurant and the office had a great location and was super comft...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 20, 2013

The most beautiful hostel I've stayed. It's huge and there's so much nature! Super cool staff! Very clean, relax, and the food is amazing. Also had a lot of fun at the bar next to the river. I absolutely love and recommend this hostel!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed February 19, 2013

For several years now, we stay at El Retiro when we do our annual trip to Guatemala with a group of high school students. We absolutely love it! Every year, the kids remember our stay there as one of their trip highlights. The buffet is great, the dorms are rustic but comfortable and the site is just gorgeous. You can go for a swim in the river, relax in the hammocks, play some games, enjoy the sauna or simply hang out at the resto-bar for great conversation and drinks. Tours to Semuc Champey and other activities can be organized through the extremely competent staff and guides on site. The coordinators are easy to reach via email and are extremely helpful when you are organizing your trip.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Everything about El Retiro is pretty top notch -- the location is beyond perfect, there are tons of things to do in the hostel (ping pong table, sauna, board games, hammocks, a platform for yoga or tanning, book exchange...) the staff are friendly locals who like to have fun, the rooms are clean and simple (yes, there are bugs...NOT bed bugs, but bugs that you would normally find in the jungle!) and they offer lots of great tours to semuc champed, the lanquin bat caves, and tubing. the hostel is also great because you can relax in the hammocks by the river during the day and party in the bar at night if you want to -- they have nightly drink specials and great music. Also, don't miss the huge buffet dinners at night... you won't leave disappointed or hungry.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I just coudnt imagine before arriving to lankin, that i'll find so beautifull people in many ways.the people from "el retiro" not just bring me a place to stay in their amazing junglish-valley and lodge but I found my mayan family. they host me, feed me, and shared with me their living way so I could learn a lot from them. I could also be able to share my yoga time with them and their guest, and felt healed by the sound gushing river, and aloud me to meditate and recover my energy from my travells. as I get inspired by the lushed wild nature and share my art in one of the walls of this place. I voluntier here for a month and I can tell this people work hurd to make you spent a happy time wile your hollidays. this was my best experience voluntiering so far!!!
love you always beautifull people.

Malinalli (hostel rincon del viajero.Mexico)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We don't know what else was around but el retiro was a great place to stay. It is right on the river so you can sleep to that sound of water flowing by. The rooms and dorms are pretty spread out and there is a beautiful view of the mountain on the other side of the river. The bar thumps in the distance at night, its not too loud but goes late. The restaurant has some pretty good food and theme nights but is pricey. Toilet are usually clean and some of the showers are hot.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2013

There was a group of 6 of us that stayed her for 2 nights in a shared dorm was there were no private rooms available. The food was not too bad, the bar was a bit overpriced but that is to be expected. The bathrooms didn't really feel or look clean and there was not hot water. As this place is set beside a river in the jungle there are a lot of bugs. The jungle bugs didnt bother me but the issue was I actually got bed bug bites pretty badly - which was weird because no one else in the dorm got them. I don't think it was their fault, someone else had clearly brought them in but we did notice another room that had mattresses airing outside so it wouldn't have surprised me if there were other rooms that were affected too. A huge positive to this place is we has a great tour and guide to go on the day trip to Semuc Champey. I probably wouldn't stay here again but I am sure there are worse places out there!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends