“Lovely location & warm, welcoming staff”
Review of Utopia Eco Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lanquin
Utopia Eco Hotel
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I just returned from a one-night stay at Utopia Eco Hotel. I wish I could have stayed longer! The hotel is simple and rustic, which fits the surrounding environment. My friends and I stayed in rooms #1 & #2 with a view of the river from the outdoor decks. The rooms are small and simple, but you don't come to Lanquin to stay in your room. The staff is so welcoming and friendly that everyone naturally congregated in the restaurant and reception area, where you find beautiful views and a bar with swinging bench seats. The vegetarian food was tasty and a good value. We took advantage of the Q25 ($3) packed lunch for our trip to the main park at Semuc Champey.
Semuc Champey is amazing - not to be missed! - but be aware that the roads are extremely rough and most people are transported to the park in the bumpy back of a pickup truck. The view was worth the hike up the mirador, but it was challenging. The pools at the bottom were beautiful and so refreshing after the hike. We chose to skip the caves and jumping from the bridge, but if we'd had more time I would have gone tubing - lots of other hotel guests returned from tubing with huge smiles.
After a day in the park, the surrounding sounds of nature into the night made Utopia and Semuc Champey a lovely getaway. I plan to return to visit both again!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
John h, Owner at Utopia Eco Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Sorry you missed the caves. Its a shame to travel so far and miss them they are an adventure like non other. At least you got to see the pools. The roads really are bad especially this time of year. We hope they will repair them just before easter but then the wet season will begin so not much hope that they roads will stay good for long. Maybe one day the government will pave them but for now the back of a truck is the best ANYONE has to offer not just us. Its the only way to get around our here.
Any way thanks for staying with us and also thank you for taking the time to post a review. So many guest have a wonderful time and then just forget to post.

There are newer reviews for Utopia Eco Hotel

Reviewed March 23, 2014

This is a beautiful hostel in a remote area close to Semuc Champey. However, they really take advantage of the fact that theres nothing surrounding us by jacking up food prices, tour prices and shuttle prices.

FOOD
Utopia says they're a vegetarian hostel but do a very poor job of putting together a well balanced vegetarian meal, for example lunch one day was a cup of noodle soup with an egg in it for 35Q…you can get that same soup at a tienda for 3.50Q. Because all meals are family style, you either eat what they have to offer or starve since you can't get food from anywhere else. Dinner is 50Q and includes dessert, but the dinner itself is not worth 50Q (50Q for a meal in Guatemala is very expensive, and if you're shelling out that much for a meal, its usually amazing/finger-licking good). If you do day tour they'll offer to make you a packed lunch, but you can get a better meal for cheaper in Semuc, so say no.

TOURS and TRANSPORTATION
You can go to Semuc without a guide, and since its so close from the hostel you can walk there. The only thing you really need a guide for is the caves (which are really cool and should not be missed), You don't need to pay the 185Q Utopia charges. Utopia will encourage you to do the tubing down the river from Semuc because “its so much fun, and for adventurers” but actually you're just really wet and cold and moving down the river at about the speed of snail-- save yourself the 60Q! Utopia will pick you up from town for free, but if you want to leave this hostel it'll cost you 25Q to get them to drive you the hour into town. Shuttles out of Lanquin to Flores will cost you 200Q when in town you can get the same shuttle for 110Q.

ROOMS
My friend and I paid 120Q total for a private room. My friend got wet during the night due to a leaky roof during a rain storm. My bed was comfortable and I slept like a baby, but he complained that his wasn't.

WIFI
Although not necessary for everyone, some people still have to connect to the outside world for work etc. The wifi almost never works (and when it does it, its terribly slow) and by 7 pm or so the hostel is out of bandwidth for the day so no one can connect. I also have the suspicion that they turn off the wifi randomly to “conserve” the little bandwidth they do have. Again, wifi isn't important for everyone, but that should be made clear beforehand.

TOILETS
The morning I was leaving there was no running water to brush our teeth, shower, or flush after morning poops. Unacceptable, especially if most people are moving onto Flores from Semuc which is about 8-9 hours away.

Even if I wasn't traveling on a backpackers budget, I would never stay at this place again mostly because the meals are crappy and aren't worth the price. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Angela P

So sorry you were not happy with you stay with us. However I must once again state that Utopia is not for everyone. If your looking for street food and looking for the cheapest lowest price of all things available in Guatemala, PLEASE do not come out you will NOT be happy staying with us. We do NOT Jack up prices on anything we make every effort to keep our prices low and affordable. We probably could Jack up our prices since we are remote and know there is no many other choices available but thats not how I operate. I would not like to be treated that way and I don't want to treat my guests like that so I keep prices as low as I possible can and still keep the doors open. I actually am in the hospitality business because I LIKE it. I have stated many times before I will NOT book the lower price shuttles as they are un reliable and often NOT safe to travel on and I will not promote companies like that. However if you want to book with those companies your more than welcome to just pay for the shuttle to town and go with who ever you want. I do not force anyone to let me make your travel arrangements. The choice is ALWAYS up to the guest.
Food....sounds to me like you are just a unhappy person that was wanting meat. There is a lot more to the meals than you listed and if a potential guest is reading this you can read through many, many other posts where guests love the food and talk about how good it is. I have also said many times......Yes we would LOVE to have a bigger variety of fresh veggies to offer but we do not live near any super markets closest is 3 plus hours away and even that is NOT so good. The market in lanquin is VERY limited and we use all of the vegetables that they have to offer. We can not afford to go to Coban every couple days unless we raise the price of everything.
Tours......You can go on your own for sure but again we offer our tours with the best guides in the area. If a person want to have the experience of their life then they should do our tour. Also you must not have taken the tour or you would have known that. Since you must have missed our on the adventures in the pools.
Tubing......LOL!!! Now this was funny...since Tubing from Semuc to our place is NOT at a snails pace. Especially at this time of year. In May the river can get low but when the river is low we do not offer the tubing so this was just a very silly comment and clearly you did not do it. There are places in the river that are slow and relaxing and this must be what you saw and assumed the whole trip is like that but there are 3 areas that are very fast paced and gets your heart pumping.
Rooms.......Our roof normally does not leak and I'm not certain that it was leaking the night you were hear. Since that night the storm was so strong I was actually worried we were going to lose several roofs that night. The wind was so strong. I'd not be surprised to hear the rain was blowing in the window. That was by far the strongest storm that I've seen in the 2 years I have been on this Land. I'm just thrilled that all the roofs help up through that storm.
Wifi.....I'm so tired of people complaining about the wifi. Can people not see that there are ZERO alternative options ??? I pay a lot of money to even attempt to offer wifi. Is it good ?? Nope! not really but it is better than nothing. I do not have to offer it. I could save my self $250.00 usd per month if I did away with it. Since I myself only use the internet offered from my phone service. Your suspicion of us turning off the wifi is VERY WRONG. Please to now post things your guessing about. I suppose thats something you would do but I'm NOT YOU.
As for the water / toilets.....the only reason that there was no water that morning was because a guest had broken a toilet and water was spraying every where so we had no choice but to shut off water to the bathroom area while it was repaired. What is unacceptable is the way that some people treat things with such dis-respect to not only our property but to the effects their actions will have on others. So we had to turn off the water and make the repair. There was water again in about 20 minutes and everything was cleaned up and back in order before Most guests were up. The toilet was broken by a guest that was departing early in the morning.....of course we never found out who it was.......was it You?????
Any way sorry you felt you had to post negative things. You really should have taken the time to check out prices of some of the other hostels in this area you'd have then seen we are actually cheaper than most in the area and maybe then you would have been less bitter acting.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Unrelated to this hotel, but I want to start off with a piece of wisdom I learned my 2nd day in Guatemala from an American (Mexican by origin) man: when you travel to countries like Guatemala you really have to have the attitude of welcoming whatever comes your way and make the best out of it. My observation is that "the customer comes first" and the sense of entitlement you may have in the US or any other countries where you felt the world revolved around you should be adjusted to the current conditions of the country you are in. If you are a person hard to please in general, then perhaps Guatemala is not for you.
My friend and I were traveling to different locations in Guatemala and this is the first hostel we stayed at. We only stayed in fairly high priced hotels before that and I really did not know what to expect.I am not hard to please and since I was born and raised in a developing country myself I value the efforts people make to accommodate you more than the end result which may not seem accommodating enough depending on everyone's standards. Now let me explain. On our way to Lanquin, our van broke down twice and another van had to come pick us up from the middle of who knows where.We were on the road for about 17 hours when we got to Lanquin (around 12 am). I was of course a little frustrated and scared to arrive so late and I called Utopia a few times from the road to make sure someone will pick us up even with the late arrival. I was always ensured that there would be a ride waiting for us. And there was one...we arrived at Utopia at around 1 am or so. Electricity and WiFi were down when we arrived but that was the case for the entire valley. I really appreciated that someone waited for us so late at night and that we had a ride. No matter how much we payed for the room, I thought their effort in accommodating us was priceless. All the meals we had at Utopia were very tasty and I can see how some people may be frustrated for the lack of options but hey...this place is up in the boonies and I understand the challenge of having variety there. We took the tour to Semuc Champey. Road is bumpy (I even fell in the back of the truck because I was not holding on hard enough, but it was my fault really). The cave was great and having a guide really helped in my case. I am not a good swimmer (I can barely be called a swimmer actually) and definitely cannot swim holding a candle. Our guide provided assistance all the time. At one point we had to slide down in the water (from maybe 7 feet up) in our way back and that was very scary to me since I have never jumped and slid before. I told Francisco I was scared and did not want to do it but he said there was no other way and he promised to get me out alive. Yes, I thought I was going to die, I swallowed a lot of water and I was trembling like a leaf in the wind when I got out but he did get me out---alive. As terrified as I was, I am glad I did it and I would do it again. While at the park I got a cut on my foot since I did not wear any water shoes and I happened to lose my socks while "swimming". As soon as we got back to the hostel, I told one of the guys there I got a cut and in a few seconds he brought me a box with all the medical stuff I needed it to clean it and cover it. 2 other people came and look at my cut and asked me how I got it. It was really not that bad and as a kid I had far more on my feet and nobody cared. I thought it was very nice and caring of them to show any interest at all in my "injury".WiFi happened to be down or had a very week signal for the entire period of our stay (2 nights). I, like others only needed it to make arrangements for our next stop in Rio Dulce. Utopia made all necessary calls and recommendations for us, so we didn't have to worry about it. I know some people are being put off by the dogs who walk freely in the kitchen. I may be biased because I have 2 dogs myself, These dogs were well behaved and clean and so what if they were walking in the kitchen? We had a private cabin, with a river view. Shower outside, bathroom and sink in the room which were just fine for me. I didn't need anything more luxurious than this. I was there for the adventure not to be pampered. Overall, I would recommend Utopia. People were caring and helpful. The family style dinner and breakfast was nice, brought people together. Rami (I may be misspelling) and Esteban were very nice and welcoming (they were the ones receiving us at 1 am). John, the owner, was friendly and talked to everyone. The German girl (I forget her name) was incredibly friendly and helpful. Very quiet and relaxing place.

1  Thank Adriana T

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I'm glad that you had a good time with us even though your trip was a bit rough getting started. Thank you for being fare about certain things that happened such as power being out and your road trip being so long. Many people actually attempt to make it sound as if we could have done something to prevent these things. Its nice to have a person realize sometimes in life things are just beyond our control.
Any way glad you had fun and super glad that you trusted us enough to take the tour and have a real adventure in the caves.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

We had been traveling for 12 hours the day we arrived at Utopia. From the moment we walked in we felt at home. Right away they helped us with our bags and asked if we would like some dinner. We stayed in the dorm room and could not have been happier. We had top bunks and the view was astonishing. There are no mosquito nets but the mosquitos were not a problem. The open air loft is the perfect place to reconnect with nature and your internal sleep clock. It is all vegetarian food but don't let that scare you away. The meals are served family style and all of the food they provided was scrumptious. Its a perfect location for visiting Semuc Champey as well. You can either take a short walk to the park yourself or catch the pick up truck in the morning. Also you can hike around Utopia, take a chocolate tour (and make your own), or swim in the river. We planned on staying for 1 or 2 nights and ended up staying for 4! Fantastic place that helps calm the soul and reconnects you with Mother Earth. Also there are no ATM's in Lanquin so Coba is the closest place to Semuc Champey to get money.

Room Tip: Dorm room and the bunk closest to the dining area for a stellar view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
John h, Owner at Utopia Eco Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

So Glad that you enjoyed your visit with us and took time to really relax and enjoy your surroundings.
Thank you for taking the time to post so many that have a wonderful time forget to take the time or make the effort to let others know.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

They gave this place the right name because its beautiful setting is awesome. We usually don't stay in many hostels but this place was just perfect for us. Our room was very basic yet very comfortable. In the evenings it was nice to join fellow guests for a drink at the bar, but the party winds down early. Perfect! We loved the atmosphere built here that enabled us to chill out with a beer and chat, but it wasn't some crazy loud party hostel blasting music into the late night hours. Staff was great, very friendly, welcoming, and helpful. The owner, John, doubled as travel coordinator in the mornings going above and beyond to help guests with arrangements at their next destinations.

We are not vegetarians and were a bit concerned about some of the food complaints we read in other reviews. But we found the veggie dishes to be both delicious and filling (and I'm a big eater.) I never even tapped into the reserve supply of food we brought, just in case.

The wifi is very slow and intermittent, which they do let you know upfront. I'm not sure if its possible but I wish they would increase their speed. But that would just make this place even more perfect and I may not ever leave.

The highlight of our stay was the grand tour of the Kan'Ba caves and Semuc Champey. It was a very full day of caving, hiking, swinging, jumping, swimming, sliding, and tubing that was nothing short of spectacular. You absolutely must do this incredible adventure. But just know that the caving does get a bit intense and despite what they tell you - definitely wear shoes. You can see what Utopia's tour is like on our blog (complete with video):

Room Tip: The private nook was basic yet very comfortable. But use the bathroom before you turn in so you don...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to post. We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We would love to get faster internet but as it is we pay over $250 use a month and the next increase would put us closer to 800.00 per month and we just can afford that plus there is no guarantee that it would really be faster just more bandwidth so for now we must leave it as it is. Plus it does encourage guests to get out and explore nature.
Thank you for visiting and were all so happy that you enjoyed your visit with us.....we certainly enjoyed having you.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Rather than stating opinions which in other guest reviews have drawn significant criticism, I am going to only state the facts about my stay so that a future traveler can make their own impression. For context, I stayed in a river cabin, not a dorm or hammock.

- There were screens to form window areas for natural air flow. The temperature of the room was dependent on the outdoor weather. There was a wall light switch that controlled the main light/ceiling fan combination. When the switch was turned off, the fan and light both shut off (unless you make arrangements with the staff to climb a ladder to make that adjustment). The ceiling is high so you could not make this change yourself due to the short chains. Candles were available on request but I did not use these. When you leave the room, it is important to shut off lights.

- The "window" screens had partial curtain coverage. One side of my cabin had total privacy. The other side did not because the curtains were not wide enough even when stretched to cover the screens but you can make adjustments depending on where you want coverage during the daytime, evening, or when you are changing clothes.

- My cabin was not cleaned during my multi-night stay but my guess is that this is standard because it is a hostal and not a standard accommodation.

- There were a couple of electrical outlets in the cabin. My phone cord became very hot very quickly though, so I unplugged it almost right away.

- My cabin had many bugs including VERY large spiders but this can be expected due to the proximity to the river, open air flow (gaps between wood panels in the door, etc.), outdoor setting, etc. As evidenced by the bug remnants on the walls inside my room (see photos), it appears other travelers resorted to "smushing" their room guests. I just closed my eyes and used bug repellant sheets before bed and left the open packets on the nightstand in hopes of distracting them.

- It was important for me to bring a flashlight to guide my walk back from dinner to the cabin and also when I departed early in the morning. I made peace with the insects I saw along my walk because the jungle is the home of the critters, not me. Many of the guests I met assumed the bugs were only in the cabins. Ha! They should have been awake at 4am in the dining area. The bugs (size of a child's hand) were everywhere passing through.

- Food is vegetarian here. Morning coffee was nice. I did not ever eat breakfast. Dinners start around 7pm, family style, and ranged from a hearty soup with side cabbage salad/bread to tostadas with a chimichanga. Dessert is included with dinner. Plan to bring or buy a beverage. There is a purified water dispenser to fill your water bottles for minimal charge.

- I brought my own quick-dry towel so as to avoid the towel charge I had read about in other reviews. When staying in the cabins, you have your own outdoor shower with warm water. I brought flip-flops and toiletries because the only item the hostal provided was liquid hand soap inside the cabin at the sink stand.

- As for the interior cabin furnishings, there were two beds, one chair and one shelf in addition to the sink and restroom area. Toilet paper was stocked well. Since I am just stating the facts, you can see the quality and cleanliness levels of the interior in the photos attached.

- The owner(s) were not present at the time of my stay but the staff were VERY kind, respectful, funny and fun. They arranged the tours for the guests. I purchased the cave tour as well as the river tubing return to the hostal and sack lunch (all separate charges).

- Guests should not expect wifi access. It will be available early in the morning and at very sporadic random times possibly though the rest of the day. The staff are very forthcoming about this. I had strong signals early in the morning but the purpose of my stay was not to use the internet. I was able to pay for my stay by Paypal which was very helpful (part was pre-paid before my arrival for a deposit and the remaining balance was paid post-stay).

- With respect to transportation, the shuttle/bus from Antigua drop us all off in Lanquin and we were guided to sit at the owner's friend's hostal, El Moro to wait for our driver to Utopia. We were told that the 4WD vehicle would only depart when there are "enough people." In our case, this meant waiting for locals to finish work and use the truck as a taxi of sorts. We departed almost two hours later still as the only shuttle passengers but the back of the truck did have a lot of locals and we stopped along the way to drop them off. We were told we could eat, drink, rest or use the restrooms at El Moro while we waited. There are also some markets in Lanquin to buy snacks and water.

- When I booked my shuttle with the primary transport company in Antigua, direct to Lanquin, I also paid for a trip back to Guatemala City from Utopia. When I let the hostal staff know that the day before my departure, I was told that transport companies NEVER come to Utopia and that there was NO way I was going to be picked up there as my reservation had stated. I was told that I needed to book a private 4WD private transport back to Lanquin and wait for the transport company there. That cost me Q300 to a driver the hostal recommended. The next morning the private driver arrived on time and brought me back to Lanquin to wait for the transport company. When the transport company arrived to find me standing under the street lamp next to the bus, they were FURIOUS because they had driven in a 4WD truck all the way to Utopia to pick me up as my reservation had indicated along with several other people in tow. I apologized, explained what I was told by Utopia, and we just moved forward, but I was not pleased that I was told I needed to pay a private driver which cost me the additional Q300 when clearly this was not the case. I am considering it an economic stimulus and moving on. It turns out transport companies do actually go to Utopia to pick up guests to take them to the shuttle bus in Lanquin - my pickup was not the first by any means.

- The tour operators who partner with the hostal are simply fabulous. They are patient, fun, safe, funny, kind, respectful, encouraging, etc. I cannot say enough about these guys. Their time and entertainment is well worth the price.

- The surrounding area is absolutely breathtaking and beautiful. If you wake up early to hear the sounds of the birds chirping from the dining area, it's really peaceful.

Good luck with your stay. Set your expectations accordingly.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank SuburbtoSuitcase

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. I'm also very sorry about the mix up on your shuttle. It seams no matter what route we take we get the blame when things don't work out. As you, your self said you booked your shuttle before arriving with us. The company you booked with however is famous for making promises that they don't keep. We have had over 50 guests so far this year, that have been told they will be picked up and then no one ever shows to get them and they are then stranded for another day while we have to try and resolve their travel options and once again we get critizized for poor shuttle services we had nothing to do with. So here we try to advise you of what most likely will happen and you say they actually came to Utopia to get you. Since I was not at the property at the time I can't say if they actually showed up or not. I will say its very unlikely that they really did. however I'm sure they would tell you that they did since you have no way to check to see if they are telling the truth. Also IF they came to get you they actually should have been at Utopia waiting for you at the same time as your other ride. So did you see them there? If not I'm pretty sure they never came out to get you.
As for the rooms well you must keep in mind that we are in the jungle there are for sure.... 100% certain going to be spiders and other bugs around. We do not (thank goodness) have problems with mosquitos but other critters are around. We do not spray the grounds as each of these insects keep things in a very nice balance here on the property. Most guests know that coming into such a remote location means they most likely will encounter some critters and intact 95% of our guests find the different insects facinating since so many are very cool and unusual to look at. I imagine the splattered bugs shown in your pictures were fresh kills from you though and not left from other guests. Its not as if the property is over run with bugs but from time to time a person does encounter one or two. Again we are in the jungle in a very open environment so its bound to happen. The curtains do actually completely cover the window screens in the cabin you were in. so I'm not sure what your talking about there. I myself went to your cabin to check personally when I read your post and they close just fine.
I'm not certain what you were expecting but Utopia is a Hostel we charge the bare minimum for our rooms and food so we can not afford to offer free soaps, shampoos, towels, blow dryers and other things you'd find in a up scale hotel. We are a hostel and must charge (as other hostels all around the world do) for additional things. We used to offer towels for free but in the last 6 months we have lost over 150 towels I'd say most get taken to the pools and left there so we were left with no choice but to start charging.
The wi-fi is not the greatest I agree but we do have it and we pay a VERY high price to offer this service to out guests. Again I really wish people would take a look around and notice how remote we are. we are so lucky to be able to have any type service at all. We have paid dearly to get WiFi electric to our place. Other hostels near semuc do not have electric or wifi. When people complain about these things I often wonder if I should just do as the others have done and not even offer these things.
So yes Utopia is not a 5 star highly polished hotel in the city...... we have never claimed to be nor do we want to be. We just aim to offer as much service, peace and comfort as possible given our location.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Utopia is in the middle of the rainforest, very close by the Semuc Champey national park, so Utopia is a 45 minute drive from Lanquin on typical Guatemalan dirt roads. The staff are volunteers and are very nice and laid back. Meals are served family style. The only minor point is that all meals are vegetarian.
Utopia provides tours to Semuc Champey which are very cool if you like rock climbing and jumping of bridges. The tours can be very crowded, so if you like to keep to yourself a solo visit is recommended.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dennis G

During high season the tours can from time to time be a little full but if there really are a lot of guests we will put on another guide. No one likes over crowded tours not even us.
Any way so glad that you stayed with us.
Thank you for taking the time to post about your stay.
I hope the rest of your vacation was wonderful.