All reviews infinity pool semuc champey central america amazing views pool table party vibe beautiful location great party great atmosphere happy hour a lot of fun main area an amazing place cave tour zephyr hostels tours
Reviewed March 3, 2011

lanqin and semuc champey are top notch locations in guatemala. I recommend everyone visiting the area but select a different place to stay. The staff is run by a bunch of foreigners that are rude and hungover EVERYDAY and have difficulty doing the easiest of tasks.
If you are interested in getting wasted with a bunch of 18-25 year olds all day and night than zephyr is the place for you. Its impossible to get a good night sleep in one of the most chilled out places in guatemala. The river tubing and zip-lining is a must. This hostel has so much potential and i hope they realize that sooner than later. i will end on a positive note.......the buildings are done very well with much thought and the view is gorgeous.

Date of stay: February 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
6  Thank highwayman030
Reviewed March 1, 2011

Absolutely spectacular location with great views over the valley and really good food served in the bar area. The wood burning stove produced great pizzas and the fruit filled pancakes at breakfast were delicious. However, this is where the positive points end. We stayed in a private double room, which had cockroaches and a couple of thin pieces of cloth to act as curtains (not big enough to block the light out so the room was painfully hot). Loud music was played into the earlier hours every night and the bar filled with drunk 18-25 year olds. If you want to get exceptionally drunk with fellow travellers and party into the early hours then Zephyr is for you. I certainly would not return as the constant loud music does not make for a relaxing stay.

Date of stay: March 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
7  Thank HelenCY
thenomadicroad, Manager at Zephyr River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2011

As manager of Zephyr Lodge Lanquin I would first like to thank you for your stay here and for taking the time to review our Hostel. We take comments seriously and will do our best to improve our services as we continue to grow. We are very proud of our home cooked food and our personalized service and we do our best to accommodate all who want to stay with us.

With regards to the cleanliness comment, we have all our rooms; private and dorms alike cleaned everyday unless guests choose to forgo that service. Furthermore, we are in the jungle yes there are insects here but this is due to our remote location and not our level of hygiene, which is higher than any comparable hostel in the region.

I would personally like to apologize with regards to the noise levels that you experienced. Last week there were some guests who came here and celebrated their birthday, yes the music was loud but well over 3/4 of the guest were up enjoying the party. Unfortunately, those nights the parties lasted into the night but that is not always the case here at Zephyr were we pride ourselves on being a relaxing destination on a difficult travelers’' trail.

Yes I thank you for your comments now but I would have preferred you bringing this to my attention while you were here so that i could have done something to accommodate you whether turning down the music or even help arrange lodging at another local lodge that was not in the process of celebrating guests' birthdays.

Reviewed March 1, 2011

We were originally meant to stay at Zephyr for two nights but ended up there for six! The staff are incredibly friendly and fun. Delicious food, especially the wonderful breakfasts. This is the best place to stay in Lanquin. The daytrip to Semuc Champey is amazing, especially for the adrenelin junkies out there. Zephyr probably has the best views of any hostel/hotel I have ever stayed in, simply heaven on earth. Thanks to the Zephyr Crew for such an amazing stay.

Date of stay: February 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed February 27, 2011

Great place to stay and excellent value.The place is in a wonderful location with the most amazing views.
We spent one night with the en suite room in the main building and the second night in one of the Cabanas. Both rooms were clean and had very comfortable beds. As older than average travelers, it was nice to have a private shower and toilet but the cabanas have so much more character with the views both front and rear. The hot showers are great with fantastic views down the valleys. The food was great - I loved the home made lasagne and pizzas ....and the bar made for a great party atmosphere every evening.
This is a great place to stay but given its great reputation, it is best to book in advance if possible. This is why we had to swap rooms .... and we heard that the previous week the hostel had been full to overflowing! The difficulty is making a booking...
The only negative side was that I found two cockroaches in my bag when I got to our next place. Wildlife is a hazard in the countryside so not a complaint but I suggest keeping your bags closed at all times.

Date of stay: January 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2011

I was recently traveling through Guatemala with my 12 year old daughter, and I spent a week in Lanqin at the Zephyr Lodge, and it was a great experience. The staff was very friendly and courteous, and treated my daughter like she was there little sister. The activities and tours there are great, Semuc Champey is something you have to do while you are in Guatemala, and the Zephyr has a great guide that makes the experience safe and fun!.
I could have use for the nightly party to shut down a little earlier on a couple night, but then again I am getting older too, so take that with a grain of salt.
Oh, and the showers are awesome!

Date of stay: January 2011