“Glad to be gone!!!!”
Review of Zephyr River Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lanquin
Zephyr River Lodge
creek
“Glad to be gone!!!!”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

If you like top forty music blasting while you sleep, rude staff, over pricing and cockroaches. Zephyrs is the place for you!!!!

From the moment I arrived zephyr's was a nightmare. With the only ATM in miles not working we were forced to stay here to use our visa's. Only to be informed it was an eight percent ser-charge.

After a long bus ride we finally arrive to be swarmed by people trying to get you to go to there hostel. Having called ten minutes prior we had a reservation for a private room 200q and where told there was no room tomorrow. When some one from another hostel asked if we were going there, I simply asked if that had visa. Checking for the next night. The guy from our hostel started rudely telling me to just go with them, not Giving me a moment to explain.

Thinking this would be the only rude staff we went to zephyrs any way. Big mistake! 90% of the staff were rude.

60q a night for a barn crawling with cockroaches. I had top of thee bunks which was so short I couldn't sit up I'm five foot three. On the roof above my bed cockroaches were crawling constantly.
If you have to go to the bathroom in the night you can walk down a step staircase across the whole yard and use one of the three clogged toilets. 3 bathrooms for over 50 people. Lovely!

Don't expect to connect to the internet.

If your doing the semuc tour expecting to sit an enjoy the river, think again. You will have less than an hour.... I recommend staying at a hostel by the river and exploring yourself!

Here's the positives
Beautiful view
Accepts cried card
Hot showers

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sombra M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed January 5, 2014

At first, we were not sure about teh hostel because the reviews. But at the moment when we arrived we wow! The Receptionists, one of them was Spanish, and we were happy because was the first spanish guy we met in that Country my friend and me, he was nice. We booked for a private room, well, is in the jungle so you can t expect no insects. But the room was ok with a incredible views.

The common area with the bar and music it s too funny, we had fun then, with the staff, specially with the american girl who works in the bar, she is always smiling.

When we left the american girl of the reception, and the staff from the bar came to give us a hug, so sweet. We spent time with them, we enjoyed, we relaxed. I would repeat.

Definitely it was one of the best hostels in our trip around Guatemala,

Best wishes,

Sandra & Cristina

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Lulea, Sweden
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

first i have to say: I dont know what happened to the person posting the previous review, but I actually wanted to point out the excellent service provided by the american couple managing the front desk. The guy never gets tired of answering the same questions, points out alot of things which ppl would ask next, was genreally always friendly. The lady was a total darling. Sure, she is in charge of the tab (which each and everybody needs to be careful about!!!) so she deals with money and might inspire the idea that she 'just wants your money', but she is an absolutely wonderful spirit in that hostel. All arrangements she made for us worked out simply and perfectly. Upon departure she hugged everybody individually and wished us farewell. Something which is such a simple gesture but which you almost never experience from a stranger - it is not like I talked to her that much before or was friends with her ...
We had a private room which was nice but too expensive at 250Q. Yes, there is wildlife up there and quite frankly I wish all the idiots who complain about that would stay home instead of bashing a place it the central american wilderness for it!!! Yeah, the money: Like I said, the tab-system made everybody I saw swallow hard when checking out. Drinks are expensive, private rooms too and I would recommend you to ask around town if you can get the shuttle service to other cities (flores, antigue) for less. The Semuc Champey tour however was great value and one our best experiences during the 3 months in the region. In sum it was a good choice for 2 nights. Anything more and you have to be a party animal in order to stand the loud music and bring lots of cash!!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Flores, Guatemala
Reviewed December 14, 2013

The hostel is fun to party and the activities are awesome however the Managing couple (African American) are horrid. The guy only talks to you to get you to spend money and the chick is so rude, clearly lacks customer service skills. Don't trust them to book hostels for you, we got screwed over as we were told that our room at Los amigos was booked and when we got there they had no booking. The same thing happened to my friend going to antigua. I woke up on my last morning to a cockroach crawling over me and the toilets are really far away from the dorms so its annoying if you need to pee in the middle of the night. The day activities are really awesome and cheap so it balances out the shitness of the service and toilets.

• Stayed December 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 9, 2013

This is one of the best hostels I've ever stayed at. It's super relaxing during the day with some really really amazing views. At night, it's a bit more of a party hostel and it was a ton of fun. The hostel property is huge so you can definitely avoid the partying if it's not your thing. The owner and staff are all very nice and fun to be around. Apparently they are putting a pool in soon which will be great. The food is good as well.

I was initially very hesitant to stay here because of all the reviews on bugs everywhere. I was able to see multiple rooms, and the bug situation is not bad at all. Yeah, there's some as you're in the jungle, but nothing any normal person wouldn't mind. They do make a strong effort to keep the place very clean.

One bonus is that if you're crazy and want to spend some $$ you can also have a helicopter pick you up right from the hostel...

Room Tip: The standalone bungalows seem like the place to be - awesome views and some of them have bathrooms i...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed December 2, 2013

There are definitely pros and cons to this place, and some people might absolutely love it. I'm going to be as objective as possible in this review, but know that personally, I will not be going back to Zephyr.

The Pros:
The location is breathtakingly beautiful. Perched on the edge of a valley, there are stunning views in every direction--including from the showers.
The price is only Q45 per night for a dorm bed (just under $6), and during happy hour (4-8pm) drinks are quite reasonably priced.
They organize tours and shuttles, which is helpful.
There's usually a pretty good party going on each night. Big common area, so it's easy to get to know other travelers. And let's face it, there's really no where else to go in the evenings.

The Cons:
There are rats in the thatch roofs that scurry around all night long. Not only did I count 6 rat traps in our dorm, I saw at least one rat in the moonlight. Did not make for sound sleeping for me my 1st night there. Another room was apparently crawling with cockroaches.
Our 1st night, there were no blankets on our beds--and it was chilly. Apparently the night before had been cold (late November up in the mountains...cold nights...who would have thought?) and all of the blankets were being washed and dried--and weren't ready for the night.
The bathrooms are right next to the reception desk, and the smell of rotting sewage is often nearly overpowering. Thankfully, the human nose stops smelling unpleasant smells after awhile, so it usually only gets you for about 15 minutes after you return to the common area.
To get to the bathrooms, you have to walk (in my case) down a very steep "staircase" (ladder) and outside. Cold in the middle of the night. AND, in our dorm a light automatically turns on when anyone goes up or down the stairs. I felt awful for the people sleeping there every time I had to pee.
Food was passable, but not the best I have ever eaten, by a long shot.

And then there was the way the owner responded to a crisis. My group went on a river tubing trip through the hostel. Apparently the guide was new (and no longer has a job) but for some reason--no one told us when to get out of the tubes, or warned us that if we didn't get out at the right spot, there were rapids up ahead. All of us went too far, lost our tubes, got banged up on the rocks, and 4 people ended up stranded on a rock/tree in the middle of the river for 3 hours while locals tried to help and we waited for the hostel staff to bring ziplining gear to rig up a way to get them safely back across the river. I understand that accidents happen and you can't predict stuff like that, and I don't blame anyone for the fact that this DID happen. But it was the way the hostel owner, Tom, reacted to the whole thing that got me. He didn't thank ANYONE for their help--not the person from my group who had some rescue training and kept a level head, not my friend who's a medic who wasn't on the float trip but came down to help, not the locals who stood in the middle of the river for 2 hours holding a rope and waiting or who swam across the river to hook up the ropes with no thoughts to their own safety. Buying those local guys a drink--one drink--was too much for the hostel owner. He didn't ever apologize to us for what had happened or tell us he was glad we made it back okay. True, he didn't charge anyone for the tubing trip, which is good. But in his effort to save his and his hostel's reputation by trying to place all the blame on the new guide, he did way more damage to his reputation than he otherwise would have. So I won't be going back.

Room Tip: If you have trouble sleeping with music in the background, ask for a room farther away from the comm...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Shanghai,China
Reviewed November 29, 2013

There are rats jumping on the straw roof on the dorm: you can hear them walking and jumping just few centimeters (like 20-30cm. maybe?) from your head (or feet) if you are up in the bunk bed.

In the reception 2 guys are very nice, the girl is kind of "uncollaborative", not really usefull (not her fault sometimes maybe).
- "do you have a padlock I can use?"
- "no we finished them and anyway there are no free lockers" (in the dorm there are more beds than lockers....ABSURD!)

-(the day after) "i see a free locker now, do you have a pad lock?
she gave a too small padlock, that can't fit the bit locker in the room.

-"do you know if there is a shuttle to El Estor?"
-"i have no idea".

-"can i change bed, going from up to down in the bunk bed?"
-"no we have a reservation, a person is arriving tonight" (but nobody was occupying the bed the morning after: nobody sleeped there that night)

-"can i have a quilt like all the other beds? my bed as no quilt"
-"no we are washing all the quilts"
-"but my bed as no quilt and during the night is very coooold"
-"....."
-"can i take a quilt from an other bed that is not occupied in this moment?"
-".....go on".

So the negative points:
-There are rats jumping at 20cm from your head (or your feet) if you sleep up in the bunk bed
-During the night is cold (i been there at the end of November)
-They have more beds than lockers, so often a locker is not available
-They had a quilt for everyone but not for me (and the night was COLD)
-Someone of the stuff not really nice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Powerpuffo

Travelers are raving about these Lanquin hotels