“Soooo Terrible” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Zephyr River Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lanquin
Zephyr River Lodge
Regina, Canada
“Soooo Terrible”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

I spent over a week here during christmas. Got there at midnight, and the first thing they asked me was if I was thirsty. Of course I was, so they gave me a beer. Then they sat me down and had the nerve to explain how the place operates, as if they actually wanted me to understand the system, and keep me from constantly coming back with questions because this or that doesn't make sense.

I didn't have a reservation and requested a bottom bunk, but all they had was top, so I had to accept that. Due to the way the place was set up i was unable to be by myself, and kind of forced to socialise. A large common area full of people, the worst part was I couldn't sit down and go on facebook for hours on end, due to the internet set up.

The tour was cool, although I wasn't able to partake in much of it, as a non-swimmer, i couldn't do some of the things others were doing, so i felt left out. The tubing was nice though, beer on a lazy river seemed like a good idea, until we got to a rough patch and ended up with bruises from the rocks, and i lost my beer, which they wouldn't replace.

They treat their local staff well, and it shows, but they have the nerve to pass the staff cost onto the travellers by charging a bit more than the restuarants in town. This is by far the biggest party hostel I stayed at, and wish my tab would have been lower, but then again, I knew going in what to expect. I had a lot of fun, met a lot of great people, including the staff (I know, some of the other reviews, say otherwise). Before going here, ask yourself: Do you want five star food, service, and accomodations at 2 star prices? Cause if that's your expectation of a growing hostel in a third world country............ You may want to stay in the large citys during low season. They can't possibly seal everything tight to keep bugs out, it's the jungle. You want to keep bugs out? Don't feed them!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank babramssss

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Odense, Denmark
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Hard to capture my experience there in simple words. First of all, I have to admit the incredible view, which compensates a lot, nevertheless the staff and the facilities just suck. I stayed for 4 nights here, but the only two reason why I stayed that long were the awesome people I encountered there, who made this is by far to one highlight of my trip and secondly the stunning view.

If I have to think about some adjectives in order to describe the stuff, I can only make up words like: rude, impolite, impudante and last but not inconsiderate as hell. I got so many bed bug bites that I got fever, but instead of helping me, they just kept on telling me: "This are sand fleas... you should have used oil to protect your skin." Furthermore, I have realized that the bartender added two coffees on my tab that I never had. Since you can only use a tab here to buy anything, they really take advantage of it and try to confuse with what you actually bought.

To give u on impression about the facilities, there are only 3 toilettes for all the dorms and the common area together, if you are unlucky and u pick a dorm in the other corner of the hostel area, you have to walk appr. 5 min. to go to toilet without light and without roads. The non-existing light is big problem, because you really cant see anything when you walk on a dirtroad in the middle of nowhere in order to get back to your room. Some rooms are still under construction and have no walls. Finally, I have to admit that I had a ligament ruppture and I told the staff in advance, but since they dont care about their customers, they just put me in a room under construction and without light. Thanks to nice other customers, I always found someone walk me back.

Over-all, this place could be an absolutely awesome place in future, if they replace the staff as soon as possible and do not overbook it all the time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Anna_Luna1988
Maynooth, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed in Zephyr for 4 nights to go tubing and go to Semuc Champey. We booked in advance because it's always full and it's kind of the place where "everyone goes".
The food there is really nice, not as cheap as other places, but I really enjoyed it.
Most of the staff were friendly, but my friend and I found 2 members of staff to be quite rude.
Be careful if you stay there of the tab - you feel like you're in an all-inclusive. All your trips can be put on the tab too, even your bus to leave Lanquin so you never need to open your wallet, which leads to the next problem - My friend has 800 Qs stolen from her (around 80 euro) out of her money belt. She didn't check until the day we were leaving because she never needed her money therefore she had absolutely no idea when it was stolen etc. She had the money belt kept in a safe that was connected to another safe but was locked with nothing inside it. there weren't enough safes for everyone in the room either. When she mentioned it in passing to a senior staff member, his reply was "oh that sucks". Then we found out from other travellers that this is a common occurrence there- so basically watch your stuff.
The views are amazing and the showers are hot, but the toilets can be quite far from the dorms, especially when you're trying to find it in the dark.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Get there after a terribly bumpy road down there, the driver was amazing to have driven on that in the dark! Get there and got sat down and talked to like children about the rules of the place. Which lasted beyond what I had patience for. Got to our dorm and nowhere to lock up out things. There was 4 lockers for a 10 person dorm..ridiculous. we were drinking in the dorm my friend was in since we could not drink our own booze in the common area, when a thunderstorm hit and the roof started leaking onto several of the beds. We were forced to then try to save our night by going into the common area and continue our card game where the staff proceeded to just walk up to us and take away our alcohol. The staff was very rude towards us when it wasn't our fault we were forced out of the dorm. The girl was the worst of them all threatening to make my friend sleep in the rain if she saw her take a sip of her bottle when it was 3am and she was sitting there alone simply charging her phone. We also got yelled at by her for taking not even a minute to decide if we wanted to participate in the bbq they had. We ate elsewhere because of her. Throughout my travels anyone I ran into that stayed there had a story about her attitude too. Clearly with this many people having negative experiences we are all not lying. but the way they are taking these posts so lightly and continuing their rude behaviour by commenting on these posts, speaks volumes. They need a staff change asap

• Stayed August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
lanquinero, Owner at Zephyr River Lodge, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Staff change? The Owners respond to this tripe. Swimming pool coming soon!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and found the hostel to be of an ok standard. We stayed in dorms but the toilets are a little too far away. You have to walk with a torch at night and it's not the most fun especially when it's raining. They organised a good tour to Semuc Champay and a good bus onto Flores. The food was good, albeit a little overpriced. The staff that we met were very friendly but they've since moved on unfortunately. The hostel is set in a beautiful location and the views you get are pretty amazing.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Loughborough, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Really good atmosphere, friendly staff, spacious communal area, hot water showers with an AMAZING view.
I stayed in the dorm which is open to the elements so, shockingly bugs got in... If you expect any less you're an idiot.
It was in the top 5 of uncomfortable beds I've slept in though it was more comfortable lying down than sitting on it and I still managed to sleep through every night as did everyone else so clearly not that bad.
The food is deeeeeeelicious. It is a tad pricey but it's such a remote area it makes sense and really I didn't feel ripped off as it was such good food.

Stayed July 2013
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Much like every other review I've read here, we had a terrible experience with the staff at this hostel. We had to wait for a good 45 minutes for an introduction to the place which I've never had before, especially after a 10 hour bus ride. The (semi-private) room was fine but the bar and eating area is filthy with people smoking all over you while you try to eat. In our very long introduction they neglected to tell us that we needed to be there for 7pm sharp and when we arrived half an hour later we were scolded like school children! Was quite funny. The Aussie girl managed to offend every girl I spoke to while being seemingly sweet as anything to the guys. A bit embarrassing for her but I wasn't too fussed. The worst bit was that we were told a room had been booked for us in our next hostel but when we arrived there (Los Amigos in Flores) there was no room and the booking hadn't been made correctly. All topped off by seeing the rude responses of the owner to everyone's reviews. Why bother even replying if you think this site is rubbish? Everyone still checks it mate. Nice work running a 'business'. Semuc is sensational but stay somewhere without muppets running the show.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Ksarahw
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lanquin
Hotel Casa Rustica
#16 of 100 in Antigua
El Muro Lanquin
El Muro Lanquin
#4 of 10 in Lanquin

Been to Zephyr River Lodge? Share your experiences!