“Not Perfect, But Not Many Other Options”

Coconut Grove Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Elmina
Redlands, California
“Not Perfect, But Not Many Other Options”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We spent three nights. After two nights in one of their new large rooms, particularly one night when the power went out and we were without air conditioning, we switched to one of the older, smaller rooms and liked it much more. The air in the smaller room dented the intense humidity much better and the ceiling fan (which the newer room did not have) also helped a lot. We actually got cool that night which was wonderful as the intense heat and humidity were very uncomfortable to us. If I were to go again, I would insist on one of the smaller rooms with both an air conditioner and a ceiling fan. The meals were decent, but it took an hour or an hour and a half for them to prepare them. Go with a book or good company to talk to while you wait. The pool is nice and the beach is nice for swimming in the ocean.

It does not look like there are a lot of other good options in the area. This place is many steps above the other local accommodations.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Robert C
Victor O, General Manager at Coconut Grove Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Dear Robert C,

Thank you very much for posting your comments after your visit to our Beach Resort.

We have noted and will do well to address all of the issues raised in your review and apologize for any inconveniences caused.

We do assure you of a more comfortable stay on your next visit.

Best Regards,

Ag. General Manager
Coconut Grove Beach Resort, Elmina.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Czech first
Accra, Ghana
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We often overnight at Coconut Grove during business trips in the area. The friendly staff make you feel very welcome, the service is great and the atmosphere laid-back.

I'm looking forward to go there for a week-end with my wife - right on the beach. Can't wait!

Any advice on the best mode of transport to get their from Accra?

Johan (Lancaster University Ghana)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank JohanClaasen
Victor O, General Manager at Coconut Grove Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Johan,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Coconut Grove Beach Resort.

Your patronage is truly appreciated and we are glad your stay has always been enjoyable.

We recommend a hired vehicle to and from your location in Accra or beyond whenever you wish to visit the Beach Resort. Please do not hesitate to call 026 300 6896 if you need us to make any such arrangements for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back and to you and your wife having your stay filled with "memories worth repeating".

Ag. General Manager,
Reviewed May 25, 2014

My family and I stayed here last night ( 2 adult , 3 children. Almost all the rooms were gone when we arrived except for the suite, so we had to choose the suite. And I thought it was rather pricey. But I figured it was coming at a premium so my expectations went even higher.Later in the evening we discovered that one of the windows were opened so there were some mosquitoes in the room. When we woke up this morning everyone had several mosquito bites including my 7 months old baby. Then there was breakfast which frankly was a huge let down. I was expecting something like what you would see in some other hotels in Accra like Tulip and La pleasure beach. At almost the equivalent of 250usd per night I had very high expectations. Then later at about 10am the taps stopped running. Called housekeeping, they didn't show till we left at about 11:30. In all I was rather disappointed.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Serwa Akoto Q
Victor O, General Manager at Coconut Grove Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Serwa Akoto,

I sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations during your stay with us.

This is very unusual and uncharacteristic of our Services and Facility and I have taken note and will ensure these are addressed immediately to make for great Guest experience.

We do hope to have the opportunity to be of service in the future to you and to make your next visit more pleasurable.

Ag. General Manager
Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I'm always looking for places to take friends and family when we visit Ghana. Therefore, I stayed one night to determine if I should return with others. My friend and I selected the Hibiscus Villa, which is one of the newer rooms. The room was directly on the beach and was very spacious. I don't have complaints about the room at all. I understand that I'm in Elmina with limited hotel/resort options. I've stayed at all of the major resorts in that area and this one is a good option if you select the new buildings.

The food was tasty and service was not bad. I have eaten at the restaurant more than I have stayed at the resort. I enjoyed the serenity of the grounds. I would recommend this location based on my visit in the newer room. I did see other rooms in the older part of the resort and was not interested in staying in any of those rooms. I didn't have to deal with management so this was a positive.

Room Tip: Try to reserve the new building.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Victor O, General Manager at Coconut Grove Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear MonnieBB,

We are delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay with us.

We truly appreciate your loyalty to the Coconut Grove Hotels Brand and thank you for your continued patronage.

We endeavor to offer excellent facilities and services to our Clientele and feedback like yours goes a long way in helping us improve.

We thank you and look forward to you staying with us again soon.

Ag. General Manager,
Alberta
Reviewed May 1, 2014

This is a gorgeous property with attentive staff, well kept grounds, a pool to love, nice rooms and good food. We spent three days here and as a Canadian the value was exceptional. The resort is on its own in an oasis of peace. The ocean waves break the silence and are welcome. Everything was lovely!

Room Tip: We travelled with a couple on their honeymoon. At check-in the desk was informed. By the time the co...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Victor O, General Manager at Coconut Grove Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear Alberta,

We are grateful to you for noting all the great things about Coconut Grove Beach Resort and taking time to comment for the benefit of other travelers looking for an "oasis".

We truly appreciate your patronage and feedback. Our business thrives on your comments and referrals.

We believe that you and all our numerous patrons are the 'boss' and deserve to be treated as such. Hence, we shall consistently do well to improve to ensure that on your next visit, we can exceed your expectations.

We wish you safe journey back home to Canada, and can't wait to welcome you back.

Acting General Manager,
Manheim, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We visited Coconut Grove several times during our 3 year stay in Ghana. Fantastic customer service is a highlight for this resort. There are many things to do during your stay, including the pool, horseback riding, golf, and other animal exhibits. The free wifi is a bonus. The buffet breakfast is delicious and was included with our room fee. Would highly recommend, and would be the first place we would look to go in the future.

Room Tip: We stayed in the African Village which offered cheaper rooms. We paid extra for our children to stay...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Victor O, General Manager at Coconut Grove Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Jonathan S,

We really appreciate you taking time to share your experiences with other travelers after your stay with us.

Thank you for the comments and compliments.

We always aim at ensuring our Guests depart with memories worth repeating and cherishing like you had.

We will strive to add value and innovation to ensure you and your family's expectations are exceeded in your next visit.

We look forward to welcoming you all back soon.

Act. General Manager
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I booked a stay for an executive room online for two nights, called the day before to confirm and everything was supposed to be all set. We arrived at the hotel after a long 3.5 hour drive only to find that they never had any reservation for us. The man at the front desk told us that they had no executive rooms, but they had a suite, would we like a suite? We asked the price and were told 375 cedi. We asked, 375 cedi? Since this seemed very low considering the executive was supposed to be 525 cedi. He said yes. so we paid for the 2 nights and went to the room. Im used to hotels with shabby old furniture and dingy décor in Ghana, so I wasn't totally surprised when I saw that this room was the same way...but the ODOR in the room was unbearable. As hot as we were from the journey there, we couldn't bare not opening the door and windows to air out the room despite the AC being on. Even with the windows open, it was unbearable. Within minutes of getting into the room, the same man who checked us in was at the door telling us he made a mistake on the price. That he thought we were getting the 'standard room' and the price we paid was that of a standard room. Wait, wasn't this the same man who told us he had no executive, but only had a suite to offer? He told us the rate of the suite is supposed to be 1000 cedi, but he would offer it to us for 650 cedi per night, so my husband balanced him the money. We decided to go eat lunch while the room aired out. The food was horrible! My son had grilled cheese and fries (this was not too bad), my husband had stewed chicken and rice and I had chicken kabobs with fries....all disgusting. We left most of it on the plate and it didn't seem to phase the waitress who took the plates from the table. The prices were ridiculous, but we already expected that. We then went back to the room and the smell was just as strong. There was no chance of closing the windows to cool off the room with the AC. My son sat on his bed in the second bedroom and said "is the bed in your room hard as a rock?"...so we sat on our bed and sure enough...it was like a slab of concrete. It was just a rock hard foam laid across some cheesy wood planks with a big gap between the 'mattress' and the headboard. Lovely! My husband and son went to explore the grounds (which were beautiful). There were some horses, a cute crocodile pond with real crocs and some geese , a man cutting coconuts for you to drink/eat, and lots of pretty landscaping. By time they came back I was in tears about the smell in the room and trying to imagine sleeping on the horrible bed. The couch and chair in the living room reminded me of something my Nana had in her house and I felt itchy just sitting on it. I told my husband unless we are sleeping outside in the sand, I cant sleep here. We were all in agreement so he went to get our money back for the second night....which it took a good hour or two to get back. When they saw us turning in the key and carrying our bags out just hours after check-in, you'd think they might ask what was wrong..is everything alright...etc...but nothing, nada. We wasted the entire 650 cedi for being in a horrible room for just 3 hours and the people could've cared less.
To give a fair review of the place, I WILL point out a few good things:
Seeing the ocean after being in Accra for months, was a sight for sore eyes. The waves and the breeze are absolutely gorgeous! The grounds, the croc pond and horses are lovely. The private patio at the Suite faced the water and it is great to sit out there feeling the breeze. The security men around the area are really friendly and if you are in Suite 2A, there is one perched right under your bedroom window. For 20 cedi you can ride a horse with guide up and down the beach, which my son really enjoyed. I would imagine if we had stayed in the room overnight the sounds of the ocean would've been really great to listen to all night because we could definitely hear it in the bedroom.

Room Tip: Don't take suite 2A unless you have lots of air freshener to hide the smell. Bring your own wate...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank staceyayo
Victor O, General Manager at Coconut Grove Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Staceyayo,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experiences at our Hotel.

We apologize sincerely for not meeting your expectations during your stay with us.

The occurrences highlighted are very uncharacteristic of our services and facilities. You were accommodated in one of our newest wings, which is barely 3 months old.

However, we have taken all your comments and concerns seriously and will address them to ensure memories worth repeating.

We assure you of a more pleasurable experience in your next visit to our Hotel.

With kind regards,
Victor O
Act. General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elmina
Brenu Beach Lodge
#3 of 8 in Cape Coast
Anomabo Beach Resort
Anomabo Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Anomabo

Been to Coconut Grove Beach Resort? Share your experiences!