“Relaxation at last!”

Coconut Grove Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Elmina
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I visited Coconut Grove after being told about it by other volunteers I was volunteering with in Cape Coast! They had told me how nice it was but I just expected a pool, but as with everything else in Ghana, it just exceeded all expectations!

while sunbathing at the pool you could see the beach, which was great for me, I hate swimming in the ocean and the sand, so being able to enjoy the clean pool and surroundings I could admire the beach rather than dread it!

The first day we went we brought along some of the children we were working with and we didnt have to worry about them next to the pool the childrens pool was perfect! The second we decided to take the day to relax away from our work and I could not have had a nicer day!

we ate in the restaurant twice and its was one of the most expensive places I had eaten but was absolutely worth it! For the first time during our volunteering we really enjoyed our food, thats when we knew we had to go back! We were a little disappointed that the apple pie they had on the menu was not actually available so instead ordered a fruit salad and ice cream! A little bit over priced for what we got!

Overall I thorougly enjoyed my time at coconut grove and if I could I would be back in the morning!!! Absolutely Fabulous!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lissie-Anne
There are newer reviews for Coconut Grove Beach Resort

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed in a friend's house in Cape coast for a week. We would go to coconut grove every other day to eat and chill. The food is pretty decent and well prepared. I fell in love with their chilly sauce, the locals call "shito". It's so tasty and can go with anything. I tried their steak, chicken and tilapia. No complaints there.

The most amazing thing is the place is nice and quiet, unlike the European beach scenes you usually see. While I was there there wasn't a single person on the beach. I saw little hermit crabs just roaming around without a care, and rock crabs getting sun-tanned on the rock (see pictures posted).

The resort is a little out of the way. You have to drive there or hire a cab. Next time I will stay there and try their golf court.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank lord_cage
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Large well run resort with a variety of lodging possibilities. Great beach, open air restaurant and bar, golf course, conference & workshop facilities and swimming pools. The grounds are very well looked after. The staff are friendly and helpful. The service at the restaurant could be quicker but the food is of a good standard, though the breakfast is a little meagre. Our room (No. 44 - semi-detached chalet with A/C & fridge) was large and the bathroom facilities were good and the standard of cleanliness was high. However the rooms would need some attention, e.g. a little paint would make all the difference. We had only 2 real criticisms to make - 1) The walls between the rooms in the semi-detached chalets are very thin with the effect that you can hear almost everything from next door. 2) the TV reception in our room was virtually none existent.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I spent three nights here.
Room and bathroom were clean. Resturant area very serene...beach front view. Food was tasty. Beautiful environment, friendly front desk staff, fast internet, lots of grounds to walk around. Fantastic choice. I have no complaints. Well except that the breakfast choice isn't great and they don't have room service available.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Olive B
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Went to this resort last christmas with the family. Resort location and people were friendly but the facilities are old and required significant upgrade. Food was good but the free breakfast menu was nothing to write home about and it had zero entertainment.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank komat_13
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The main striking point was the friendliness of the staff in general & especially the check in staff. They were super friendly,courteous & efficient and made me feel very welcome from the moment I arrived. Was pleasantly surprised when they came to the restaurant area 2 hours after i arrived to notify me that my room was ready since i arrived 2 hours before the official check in time and being the Xmas period, there were no vacant rooms available at the time I arrived.

Mercy at the main restaurant has to be amongst the top 5 waitresses I've ever met for her efficiency and friendliness. Keep it up Mercy, you're a STAR*! I wish some of her colleagues would emulate her and not make you feel that you were disturbing them. Food is good and fresh but short on variety. Was there for three days with the same chefs special on offer for each of the thee days, both for lunch & dinner. This variety shortage is especially apparent at breakfast with completely no choice on offer considering the cost of the rooms.

Rooms are comfortable but very bare with only the basics provided I.e. bed, AC, TV, bathroom. No shampoo, no lotion, no bottled water etc. Good choice of rooms with traditional & modern style rooms available for different price tags. But for the close to $170 for a room, I expected more amenities in the room.

Basic golf course available for an easy round of golf. Will definitely return for a golf holiday when I have the time! Good beach front but very small swimming pool.

Room Tip: Rooms at the village are better value for money
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We spent 5 nights at the Coconut Grove over 2 periods so feel our comments are fairly reliable. The location is stunning – on the fringe of palm lined beaches with the waves crashing in onto golden sand. The layout of the resort too is very impressive and the standard of the accommodation – detached and semis-detached chalets surrounded by good vistas and well-tended gardens – is very good. The drawback is the poor quality of the customer service –at reception and in the dining areas. If anything goes wrong the response is lethargic, sometimes dismissive and sometimes chaotic The assistant manager tries her best but is not able to consistently get her staff to respond. TripAdvisor is full of reports where people draw generalised conclusions from one bad experience, so judge for yourselves if our comments are like that.
Among the things that went wrong were the following. Our room, when we arrived, had been reassigned to a conference delegate and the chalet we were housed in was far too big, was musty and had not been used for some time owing to it being on the perimeter of the site next to the boundary wall and the guard;some of the air conditioning did not work so we were told we would be rehoused the following day –at 12.then at2 and finally gained entry at 3.15 p.m.: the air conditioning in the new chalet failed to restart with the controller after a power cut –took over an hour to get the resident electrician: 15 minutes after successfully restarting it failed again (the controller would not respond) following another power cut: further 2 hour wait and then he decided that was terminally broken. Receptionist finally agreed we should get a third room (took another 2 hours with no communication). By 9.30 p.m they said a room had been found but another staff group decided the electrician was wrong and the unit would start with a replacement controller. They successfully restarted the air conditioning at 10.00 p.m. At 10.30 someone came to move us to the 3rd chalet despite by then our having left a message that we would stay put ! We were promised that on our next visit, we would get a trouble free room/chalet.
On our next visit, despite having rung in advance been told that we could move into our room at 1.00 p.m, it took till after 3.00 p.m. for the room to be ready – not the cleaners fault she simply had too many rooms to get ready. The chalet itself was very good with an a/c bedroom and separate washroom with w/c and shower room. The reception staff were the most inefficient unresponsive and rude (towards their own staff) that we have ever come across
On the two days we were going out early for birdwatching, we had arranged for breakfasts to be brought to our room the night before to be stored in the fridge. The first night the restaurant leader insisted that we should pay a “service charge” (despite our guide having established earlier that it was included in our tariff) and the second night it didn’t arrive at all. Some of the restaurant staff were uninterested in guests, regarding them a distraction from talking amongst themselves. The breakfasts lacked variety and the menu - on 2 sides of laminated A4 - was not very good – although the grilled sea fish were very good.
However the location compensated for the shortfalls. El Mina is a great place to visit (particularly the Castle and the Harbour). On balance if we were to visit Ghana again we would probably stay here!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chilton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elmina
Hotel Loreto
#2 of 4 in Elmina
Oasis Beach Resort
Oasis Beach Resort
#3 of 9 in Cape Coast

Been to Coconut Grove Beach Resort? Share your experiences!