“Nice beach and pool--rooms need maintenance”

Coconut Grove Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Elmina
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The Coconut Grove Beach Resort has an outstanding setting just outside Elmina. The beach is pleasant, and the resort has a good sized and well maintained pool. There is also a golf course—we didn’t try it on this trip. Rooms are a bit disappointing—reasonably clean, but in need of some major maintenance. We had a balky toilet and a couple of creaky air conditioners that struggled to drop the temperature below the high 20s. Only a few of the lamps worked. Food in the restaurant was good—the Ghanaian dishes are probably your best options—jolliff rice seems a particularly reliable choice. Breakfast is fine—eggs cooked to order and a range of other options. As is generally the case in Ghana, service is friendly but not very efficient—there is no such thing as grabbing a quick meal at the Coconut Grove.

Room Tip: Some of the standard rooms are pretty grim--maybe better to pay a bit more for the executive suites.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank OnetwentyOTR

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I checked in for about a week in december 2012 with my wife and 2 adolescent kids. We all enjoyed the comfortable rooms with fridge and A/C, the good-sized pool, the beach, and the other facilities at Coconut Grove. The food was OK, though almost always very slow in coming, but all in all we had an excellent stay here. I would recommend it to friends, and am likely to return at some point.

Room Tip: If you are with children, they have 2-bedroom family suites at a very good rate.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank amorsater
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

I am the General Manager that was accused of not allowing a smoker to smoke in area that was designated as non smoking area, I don't recalled this situation, I am sure it wasn't me may be a manager or a supervisor might have done that, I will have handle it better in any case we make all efforts to take care of our guest and will use your comments to help us serve our clients better our motto is always to serve to leave you memories worth repeating

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank Jomens454
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I spent an overnight here on my way between two destinations. It's a large property, and I had a great time at the pool/bar area. If you in transit this would be a good place to stop, but its not a destination despite all the celebrity photo's.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed in one of the ocean front suites. It was a great value for the price we paid. It was the basically a large apartment with our own porch overlooking the ocean. The only negative was that the a/c didn't work that well. The staff was pretty friendly and somewhat helpful. I did the horseback riding on the beach for 10 cedis/half hour, and really enjoyed it. The restaurant had beautiful views, but they didn't have most of the fish on the menu. It's pretty far removed from the actual town of Elmina, which has both pros and cons. It's more quiet, but you really feel removed and like you are at a resort. The property is beautiful though. I could've spent a few nights there.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank _Caroline_R_12345678
Reviewed November 4, 2012

A lovely beach side setting. We did not stay so cannot comment on the rooms. We visited for lunch , which was average and typically slow . I did not like the fact that hawkers were peddling their wares nearby.
I had hoped to go horse riding , but the horses were in such poor condition, it broke my heart to see them so.
That alone would ensure I would never stay or visit again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed at the hotel on more than one occasion, and it was not bad at all, however I did have a very bad experience there where I was treated with no respect and courtesy by the general manager who ordered me not to smoke a ciggarette in a certain area, after a memeber of the staff had said that It would not be an issue.

I wouldve have gladly complied, however the manner in which I was adressed made me feel really uncomfortable, so I decided to leave the very next morning.

I would not use this hotel/resort in future..

Room Tip: Go for the executive suites, if you do decide to use the resort.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kugan P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elmina
Hotel Loreto
#2 of 4 in Elmina
Anomabo Beach Resort
Anomabo Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Anomabo

Been to Coconut Grove Beach Resort? Share your experiences!