“comfortable at-home feel”

Ranked #6 of 6 Elmina B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“comfortable at-home feel”
Reviewed July 12, 2010

the staff at almond tree house were always available to help and give direction. i felt very comfortable. the menu had a wide variety of caribbean and ghanian cuisine. they also cater to vegetarian and vegan dietary needs. the location is great because it is in walking distance to the beach and elmina city which is close to one of the slave dungeons.

almond tree guest house has lots of information about continental and diasporic afrakans throughout the building which was good in times of distractedness. the properietors have contacts to activities such as drumming and dancing which is a must do in ghana and community members who will make attire and hairdressing services.

in addition to all this i felt safe at this place and was warmed by what the proprietors were doing for the community at-large.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Canada
Reviewed August 1, 2009

My husband and I visited Ghana for the second time, this time bringing 3 of our adult children for the amazing experience. We stayed at the Almond Tree, which is well located near Elmina and Cape Coast. You can walk to Elmina, a small fishing village, and the location of one of the castles used for holding captured Africans prior to their suffering the "Middle Passage" as slaves to the New World. Cape Coast is a short ride away by taxi, where there is a market and many shops to check out, as well as another hideous slave castle (the one visited by President Obama in 2009). From one side of the Almond Tree, you can see the ocean a few hundred feet away. Right across the road are several clothing stalls with really nice stuff. I digress. The rooms are beautiful, the staff are really nice and the owners, Sonia and Byron are the best people you could ever hope to meet. We felt welcome and safe, the food was prepared fresh each day and was very good. At the guest house, we had drumming lessons on djembes, African dance lessons from the most amazing dancer I've ever seen up close - wow! We also went to a little village where we watched an incredible dance and drum troupe perform their daily practice routine. Also, wow! Watching the little kids transfixed by the performance was such an experience - this constant exposure to their culture will be with them forever, wherever they go. There are many day trips that can be taken from the Almond Tree including a walk above the trees at Kakum National Park. If I could afford the air fare, I'd go every year - loved it!

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank SomewhatOldHippie
Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2009

I stayed at Almond Tree Guesthouse for approximately one week. The Almond Tree is very clean in my opinion. The room I was in (the Tackie room) was very large. The beds were solid and quite comfortable. The location is quiet. Though this may seem insignificant, I remember being very impressed by the doors on the rooms which were large and solid with the best locks I have ever seen in Africa.

The bathroom facilities were more than adequate with good toilets and showers were getting clean is a good option.

If you are wanting to visit Elmina, it is very possible to walk from the guesthouse if you have about half an hour to forty five minutes to do so. This will allow you to gather some of the scenery.

Also, right next door is a big resort where it is possible to get some food and maybe even to use the pool if that is desirable.

The staff at Almond Tree were very accommodating. When I visited it was a bit hard to get food for dinner or lunch as I was the only guest at the time. However they did scrounge up lipton tea, toast, and eggs for breakfast. And whenever I asked they produced a star or Guinness beer for me.

I was very happy here because I felt safe and I slept soundly. Everything was clean and well run and the location was good in that, I actually would not have wanted to be downtown and preferred a bit of quiet.

• Stayed January 2007
1 Thank itzakadoozie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elmina
Coconut Grove Beach Resort
Coconut Grove Bridge House
Twitter Paradise
Twitter Paradise
#3 of 4 in Elmina

Been to The Almond Tree Guest House? Share your experiences!