“In Love With Kaveka”
Review of Hotel Kaveka

Hotel Kaveka
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Maharepa
Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband and I cannot wait to go back to Hotel Kaveka!
This is not a posh 5 star resort, which is what we stayed in at Papeete, which we found very cheesy and a bit too staged. Instead this hotel blends the perfect private natural resources with the friendliest local staff to create an authentic and enriching French Polynesian experience. We cannot say enough about the hotel staff who always met us with a smile and an enthusiastic Maururu (we think it means, hello/goodbye/thanks) and made excellent food and drink. The bungalows are private and the fans are super powerful to help you cool off if the ocean hasn't done it. The beds were comfortable and the facilities we were able to buy beer and some cheeses at the local grocery store to keep in our minifridge. My husband enjoyed snorkeling off the dock each day and I swam, snorkeled, sunbathed, read, relaxed, and enjoyed the feast of beauty around. It was such a calm, relaxing environment, and there were various types of guests, families with young children, older couples, young people, and Kaveka had something for everyone. (We are a 27 year old couple). This place is for the more laid back type of traveller who is looking for a low key relaxing place with friendly people. There is not internet in the bungalow, but if you are surfing the web at this place, you are doing something wrong! This place forces you onto island time, slow down, relax, enjoy the simple things in life and the beauty of this unspoiled environment. There are thousands of colorful fish lining the dock off the hotel lobby which is just a rustic beach shack which also houses the restaurant. The restaurant is pretty good and once you see what other restaurants charge Kaveka seems reasonable. I ordered the fish and green beans dinner and was very satisfied and my hubby had the pizza. Though if you walk out from the hotel just 5 minutes to the right there is an excellent pizza bar with great chocolate mousse which we kept finding ourselves going back to. Also a few nights a week the hotel has free live acoustic music which was just perfect. We rented a car and drove around the island and determined that our location was perfect at Kaveka and we were so happy that we chose it.

A good tip - The hotel has a free shuttle into town everyday, which is where banking, grocery, retail shopping, and a cafe are located. You can easily walk there in 20 minutes if your up for it, but I wouldn't do it after dark. We took the shuttle in for the morning and had breakfast then enjoyed the walk back. My husband loved this place called the cafeteria or cafe, it was the only one, if you see it you will know.

I really could go on and on about how much we loved this place and I kind of have, but the bottom line is that the service and location are great and the bungalows are of excellent value.

Room Tip: We had a garden room which didn't have an ocean view, but it didn't matter because we didn...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HoosierKiwi

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Hotel Kaveka is located at the north end of Cook's Bay with a magnificent view of the bay and surrounding mountains. If you like, you can go snorkeling right off the end of the pier that extends from the hotel restaurant.

The room is large - no AC if you're looking for that. The TV only has French channels so if you don't speak French it will be of little use to you.

The hotel had a very sleepy feel to it. I don't think even half of the rooms were occupied when I was there and it looked like the hotels on both sides of Kaveka had closed down - perhaps a comment on the state of tourism in Moorea these days.

The breakfasts were OK and the priced depended on how far you went down the line. Only bread, coffee and juice was the most basic one on offer with fruits and eggs for those willing to pay more.

One thing I didn't like was that all extras were added charges. It's a personal preference, but I don't like it when every time you ask about something, it's followed by, "That will cost you this amount." Perhaps others like that as they won't pay for what they don't want, but to me it felt like being nickled and dimed to death. I'd prefer to pay more and have the breakfast and wi-fi included.

Hotel Kaveka is certainly acceptable. There's nothing wrong with it. But, if you're looking for excitement and atmosphere, I don't think you're going to find it here.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Mathyew
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Situated North East Moorea on Cook's Bay (one of 2 bays where cruise ships dock). Beautiful vantage restaurant to watch the tenders dropping off passengers at the temporary ferry next to the hotel.
The garden bungalow can sleep 3 persons - the room is very spartan - just for sleeping & taking a shower, which is what we needed. Beds are comfortable & clean. TV reception is sporadic & French only. You need to go to the lobby/restaurant if you want to watch CNN/ESPN etc.
Breakfast & lunch/dinner meals were pretty good. The Front Desk and restaurant staff were amazing - very friendly, always smiling, laughing & ready to shuttle one down to the nearby market & bank.
If you want to relax, swim, snorkel & just chill, enjoy some good food & drinks - this is the place for you.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank hh c
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Stayed for four nights in late January. Had a lagoon view bungalow which overlooked the magnificent Cooks Bay. Truly amazing views from our deck as we sat with our Hinano beer and watched the sun go down. Unit had air con and a fan so you can mix and your temperature combinations. Flowers in the room to greet us. We opted for the half meal plan and found the meals to be quite adequate. The poisson cru was excellent as were the pancakes. All in all it provides great value for the budget conscious traveller.

Room Tip: Pay the extra to get a lagoon view or beachfront bungalow. Worth every cent.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2012

After a week on the main island of Tahiti, getting to Moorea was a lovely respite from the business of Papetee. The ferry ride was a great trip in itself. The view of the bay at this hotel is spectacular, with the peak from the movie "South Pacific" off to the left. A few cruise ships come and go. The high school students practice their canoeing in the bay. Greg was a wonderful host. You will also meet many world travellers just like yourselves. A historical place with James Cook visiting here a few times. Rent a car and drive around the island.

Room Tip: Get a cabana right at the water. Some are on a beachy area, others at a breakwall. They are more mo...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2012

I spent 4 nights here on a solo photographic trip in September. This was my first visit to Moorea and I chose this venue primarily based on reasonable cost. I hired a car from the Tahiti ferry station on arrival and easily drove to the hotel. The location was quite isolated but a spectacular venue overlooking the magnificent Cook's Bay. My room was a garden view but a few footsteps away from the sea. A jetty extending out from the restaurant area provided easy access to the water of the bay which was teaming with fish and coral. No complaints about the amenities and other attractions of the island were easily accessible by car. A surprisingly nice venue and I would certainly stay there again. Photographs @ www.spwijeyekoon.com

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Sanjaya_Wijeyekoon
Reviewed February 10, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights at Kaveka. This is definitely a nice place with a beautiful view. Compared to bigger hotels it is reasonably priced. The bungalows are clean and well kept. Mine had a comfortable bed, small fridge, a tiny TV (french only), an AC, fan, large shower and a toilet. The grounds are well maintained and the owner and folks who work there are very friendly. The french door had no screen, and I had to choose between the evening breeze with bugs or locking up everyting. Hotel provided me with 2 spirals, which burn like incense and release a repellent. However they had no matches, at least so I was told.

I agree with the comment below from Nov 1, 2011, that you have to watch your wallet. There is a charge for everything and the restaurant is expensive. For instance a breakfast is 2000 francs, even if you have a cup of coffee and a toast... As I checked in I was asked if I wanted a safe, and told there would an extra charge for it. I declined the safe, but when I checked out, I found out that the room included the extra charge for the safe, whether you use it or not. Talking to the owner didn't make any difference. Internet was working, but also expensive; minimum charge 700 francs, which buys you 30 min.

A cheaper option for breakfast is the bakery located about 100 m along the main road going south (towards Paopao) across from the gendarmerie (police station), open daily at 7:00 a.m. except Tuesdays. Next to the bakery is a pizza place, where you can get a pizza large enough to feed 2, and 2 beers for 2400 francs. Another option if you want to avoid the pricey restaurant is the small supermarket in Maharepa (closed noon-14:00 and Sunday p.m.), 10 min by bike going towards the airport, where for less than 2000 francs you can by a bagette, some cheese, veggies, fruit, cookies and a box of delicious local fruit juice.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank gwidmer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maharepa
Manava Beach Resort & Spa - Moorea
Manava Suite Resort Tahiti
Pension Tarariki
Pension Tarariki
#10 of 13 in Moorea

Been to Hotel Kaveka? Share your experiences!