We were vacillating on Intercontinental vs. Sofitel and got a better deal plus fatwallet cashback with Sofitel so went that route. No regrets - great staff, very nice accomodations, lots of options, and good food!
Sofitel is the first hotel from the port (Faaa International to port in Papeete, take 30 min ferry (taxi is 2000 CFP airport to port) and then 10 min tax (1300 CFP). It is the furthest from most of the island restaurants but has the best beach of all the hotels (worth the give and take, especially because the hotel food was very accessible and tasty). We always take a inland bungalow for cost (just as good, plus no mildew/musky smell risk). Lots of space, AC, wifi available. They have two restaurants and the bar, which is opened with snacks/food for most of the day as well. Two meals will more than tide you over with snacks between unless you plan on staying up late... then the third would likely be necessary. Tons of activities kept us tired by 7/8 p.m.
Staff were very courteous/warm, everything was very clean and grand, and their lagoon/diving options were amazing considering you are literally exiting your bungalow, walking 10 feet into a warm bay, and have access to reefs. We'd stayed in Bora Bora a couple years before and did NOT have this ability. There were tons of fish, healthy coral, an octopus, eel, etc.
Mosquitoes are not a problem, however the black flies will bite so bring some benadryl.
Very happy, would recommend and would return. Staff memorize your preferences and interact more than just general niceties. (I had coffee ready for me, my husband juice) and the food was very good.
Tahiti is such a great opportunity if you can afford the airfare. Room, food, activities (island tour, quadding) for 8 nights for 2 = 5k. Just enjoy what will become your favorite warm weather location ever!
Side tip I wish I had known: LAX to PPT via Air Tahiti lands really early usualy (4:20 a.m.) Make sure you have an early check in or just pay for an extra day because it was very unpleasant trying to wait it out until 2 p.m. check in. The hotel staff were very good about it - having restrooms, changing areas, showers, luggage storage so you can use the facilities but we were pretty tired. I hope you plan better than we did! (similarly on leaving 11 p.m. flight, hotel until 3:15 ferry but on Saturday midday all of Papeete's port shops and tourist attractions were closed)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort is located on the North-East Coast of the island, just 5 minutes away from Temae airport, Vaiare ferries docks, the 18 holes international golf course designed by Jack Nicklaus®. This landmark hotel is built on the longest and most beautiful white sand beach of the island, within a protected marine area maintained by the CRIOBE®.From this hotel, guests have a unique panoramic view on the lagoon and the island of Tahiti. The hotel offers a wide range of accommodation with a total of 113 Luxury Bungalows located in the gardens, directly on the beach or over the water. Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora has the only Luxury Beach Bungalows on Moorea that have unobstructed views of the island of Tahiti, located directly on the beach. Historically, this hotel is the first of the island that built bungalows over the water. Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora has now the largest Luxury Overwater Bungalows in Moorea (83 sq. meters).Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora also features 1 Luxury Villa with 2 bedrooms (150 sq.meters). It has 2 bathrooms, 1 lounge, 1 deck and 1 outdoor jacuzzi®, with a direct access into the lagoon and panoramic views of the island of Tahiti.Dine in Polynesian authenticity at the Pure restaurant with outdoor terrace dining offering complimentary and traditional dance shows every night or choose the barefoot elegance of K restaurant, gourmet dining, feet in the sand experience, with a unique dance show.For light snacks and exotic cocktails or premium alcohols while admiring the view, try the Vue bar overlooking the infinity pool, the lagoon and Tahiti with weekly live concerts. For light snacks and exotic cocktails during a farniente day on the beach, only steps away from the lagoon, try the Beach bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Accorhotels.com, Expedia, Prestigia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Hotel Maharepa
- Sofitel Moorea Beach Resort
- Sofitel Maharepa
- Maharepa Sofitel
- Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort French Polynesia