“Very nice beach but that's about it.”

Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Maharepa
Orlando
“Very nice beach but that's about it.”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I went to the Sofitel Moorea as part of my Honeymoon and my overall impression was that it was very nice but average at the same time. The beach was exceptional as well as the view of the neighborhing island of Tahiti, the clarity of the water, beautiful corals and fishes were all great. They fell short with activities, after swimming before and after lunch I often found myself looking for something to do. Besides the spa and two shops I found myself in the room watching French TV (which looked good but I didn't understand them). The staff is very friendly, the breakfast and dinner buffets were both nice but your options are limited. I did not stay in an over the water bungalow but I didn't think I was missing much because no one was swimming outside of it. Everyone went over to the main beach which we loved. I would say that it is definately worth a say but maybe for about 3 days, not much more than that.

1 Thank NDSankar
Olivier D, General Manager at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Bonjour "NDSankar"

Thank you for your comments and feedbacks.

We feel very sorry to read that you did not find more activities to enjoy during your stay.

But while sun bathing is the principal "sport" on the island, the hotel, through our Public Relation office can organize several different activities for our guests, on land or over sea : boat tour around the island, ATV tour in the island, jetski in the lagoons, scubba diving, whale and dolphins watch, safari tour ...
Our nautic center also offer several water activities such as snorkeling, ping-pong, kayak, pedal boat ...
And this just to name a few of the most popular activities suggested by the hotel.

Wishing you'll have the chance to come back to visit us and discover the many sights and exclusive activities that Moorea has to offer.

Best Regards

Sofitel Moorea Beach Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed 3 nights in an o/w bungalow - these were the best I saw anywhere in FP as far as snorkelling straight from your deck goes, you pretty much have to push the fish out of the water to get in!
The bungalows were really nice, well decked out and what I would consider great value for a number of reasons.

1. The sofitel is big enough to have the facilities you want but small enough to feel secluded and private. We felt like we were completely away from the worlf whilst in the o/w bungalows as well as out on the deck.
2. The fish, as mentioned, crazy! we also had an eel living in the coral at the bottom of our stairs, not something we saw a lot in FP
3. The rooms were in great condition, felt new, well designed and spacious.
4. The food & drinks, a good range and well priced

We hired a car for the length of our stay to tour the island (4days/3nights) and it was worth it, the cars are a touch more than you would rent for anywhere else but that is to be expected. We visited a few other hotels to see what they were like and check out some of the touristy stuff they had, the dolphins and turtles at the intercontinental were cool to see, but the hotel was super busy and loud.
Would certainly recommend this over the intercontinental and the hilton.

Lastly, Le Spa was great, I was lucky enough to have my birthday on my honeymoon and we went to the spa to start the morning with a massage - a top notch facility.

Room Tip: Go for the overwater bungalows, the rooms are great and well spaced out from each other.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ElDarkhorse
Bonjour "EIDarkhorse"

We are so happy when we have the chance to read such great review from our guests.
Thank you to have taken the time to post your comments and feedbacks.
To see that you completely enjoyed your stay here make us feel proud to be hotelier.

Thanks again, and congratulation on your honeymoon

Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

We stayed as a couple for 8 day's at this beautiful resort. We must admit that probably 8 day's is to long.
The food was good but could be better, maybe more choices with potatoes, a bit less stews . And for the salads we think they good do better, everyday the tomatoes,beetroot,carrots etc they could have done more than that . And maybe some more bread rolls or petit baquettes . Enough complains now over to the positives.
Very very very friendly staff, in the restaurant, bar, beach bar , however at the reception it really depends who you get ,and they are just not doing what you ask them to do ( if you get the wrong one) we asked if they could confirm all of our transfers but she said we don't do that ??? We said that's funny , that doesn't make me happy we will cheque tomorrow morning, we were back early in the morning and suddenly everything was arranged, by a very friendly lady at the same reception therefor it really depends who you get!
Overall the stay was very pleasant we had a great time , nice and relaxing a beautiful lagoon bungalow, very well setup so certainly a place where we want to go back to, thanks everybody who made this a memorable trip which we will never forget.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ger D
Bonjour "Ger D"

Thank you for your great feedbacks, such complete and detailled review is the best way for us to improve our service and therefore to improve on guest expectations.

It is true the hotel offer a diner buffet everynight at the main restaurant "Pure", and after several day, the perception of the buffet can be disappointing.
We also offer different alternative to the buffet : the hotel as also a second restaurant "K" with a la carte fine dining on the beach; restaurant "Pure" has a complete a la carte service as well as the "Vue" bar. We also suggest a couple of very special diner such as "Over Lagoon" and "Feet in the water" for more exclusive, private and romantic evening.

Hoping to have the chance to host you again in one of our property worldwide.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Absolutely incredible, Couldn't have had a better evening, you will not be disappointed!! It is definitely worth the extra money to have an overwater bungalow! We had room 115, and it was perfect! Thank you so much Sofitel!

Room Tip: Room 115, 117, or 119 would be my recommendation for a unforgettable experience!
Bonjour "Jake3377"

Thank you so very much for such expressive and great comment as the one you have posted about your stay among us.
We are so happy to see that you have the greatest stay.

Looking forward to have you again in one of our worldwide address

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is the fourth time my wife and I visited Sofitel Moorea, yet the first time we took our 2-year old daughter. The hotel and Moorea remain a real tropical paradise and the highlight of Sofitel Ia Ora is the natural beauty that surrounds it: the magnificent blue lagoon, the lush forest beneath the mountains and the coral reefs and fishes/birds. Also the hotel only offers bungalows (no multi-story buildings) which gives a unique feeling of privacy regardless if you stay over water or at the garden. We loved our garden bungalow and its quiet balcony, all was shiny and perfectly worked still like on the first day we visited back in 2007. Our daughter was provided with a roller crib and even a baby bathtub, which made us feel really special and cared for. The staff remains very well trained, above-average professional and always polite and attentious to details - a lot of them still remembered my name even on the 3rd day both at check-in as well as at the Pure restaurant (Edna and Marissa were great). The facilities (rooms, beach, pool, bar and restaurants) remain in excellent well-maintained condition, and food quality is still always top notch. A visit to “ K” gourmet restaurant is always a romantic experience of a lifetime by the candles, torches and sand-floor.
The only complaint I have this time is the hotel management seems to be very much focused on a lot of cost-cutting measures and annoying new picky processes/rules that make you feel a bit censored.

Downside management changes:
• Ban on certain guest vehicles: the first bad impression happened at Moorea ferry pier when the taxi driver informed he was not allowed to enter the Sofitel Moorea because hotel management decided his brand new comfortable van was too noisy (a joke to me)! The poor senior gentleman cab driver was very apologetic and we ended up agreeing to be dropped off by the road in front of the hotel gate as there was no other taxi by the dock. I was outraged as a guest I should have the choice to enter the hotel with any vehicle of my choice, and that’s not up to hotel management to decide!
• Room Amenities: No more “Roger and Gallet” amenity products as in the past (and currently served at Sofitel Tahiti). Currently all bathroom amenities are now downgraded to a generic shampoo brand. Toilet paper is of very low thin quality. If you complain they will offer some “Loccitane” products but if you don’t ask you get stuffed the private label generic shampoo/cream/conditioner.
• Landscaping: the hotel can’t get a grip on the grass: large landscaping areas by the pond/spa are left abandoned in dirt soil.
• Breakfast poor value-for-money: In the past continental breakfast included a whole “cold buffet” at the cost XPF 2200. Now the price increased to XPF 2800 (~USD 30) BUT they limit what you can eat. The hotel staff brings the food to your table and that only includes bread, butter, juice, yoghurt and coffee. No cheese, no cereal, no cake, no fruit salad, no choice of yours, nothing else. This is very poor value for money considering Sofitel Tahiti still offers the cold buffet for XPF 2200 and other hotels in the area offer still the cold buffet option as continental even at similar XPF 2800 price (=much more food variety). Sofitel had constant written reminders to guests that “food should be consumed in the restaurant and not taken to the room”. Also the first day I took some cereal from the buffet I was immediately charged the American breakfast price at XPF 3500 without being advised by the hotel waitress, who are well trained to act like policemen and watch what guests eat. This is not a very pleasant attitude for a luxury hotel. By the way the hotel no longer offers Nutella nor island jam (previously a delicious exotic Moorea fruit jam brand), not even to full paying breakfast guests.
• Gifts: on all my prior trips I got gifts in my room: t-shirts, sarong, Tahitian tea. This time I got nothing and was denied a t-shirt when I asked, which was supposedly only meant for those guests who had a travel agent “voucher” or were on honeymoon.
• Strict inventory control (e.g.: pool towels): Unless you would bring your previous-day old dirty towels from your room to exchange for new ones, you were denied a fresh new pool towel the following day. Also before check-out it was guest responsibility to return pool towels and retrieve towel card. Honestly, who would steal an ugly pool towel? Why put the administrative burden of inventory control on the guests? I can’t imagine a guest who can affords $10K per couple on a trip stealing a beach towel.
• Increased rates: We visited the hotel on Oct/2007, Jul/2008, Sep/2009 and now Oct/2012. This time hotel USD rate was 26% more expensive EVEN though the Pacific Franc is -13% devalued!

The upside changes:
• Waterfall: Nice new addition, it makes you feel like in a true tropical place
• Beach Cleanup: the hotel hired a landscaping company that cleans the beach every morning. This is a great thing as there are no more rocks and dirt at the beach, only white fluff sand!
• Staff training: all higher-educated staff was superbly well trained, super polite and had a “can do” attitude that really pleased me. That includes going the extra mile for things such as taking time to heat up my baby’s meal, providing milk every night for my baby, taking the time to explain all my questions with a smile on the face or taking the time to walk me along a path after I asked for directions. Also the hotel was able to accommodate special meal requests, table arrangements, etc especially for my daughter. Every senior employee leads by example with a smile in the face and superb “can-do” customer service: that includes restaurant hostess, restaurant managers, chefs, bar manager, front desk personnel, activity desk personnel and room service manager. Unfortunately lower skilled workers seem to be little empowered and brainwashed on cost-cutting measures which ends up reflecting upon customer service negatively.

Overall we loved this special trip one again, I was pleased to see hotel grounds overall still immaculately kept, the best lagoon in Moorea is still at Sofitel and I hope to come back next time without these annoying picky policies.

Room Tip: Some garden bungalows have a beach-front view without the beach bungalow price. These are usually in...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Pantunes
Bonjour "Pantunes"

I've got to thank you a thousand, this review is incredible. And I have to tell you how much I appreciate the time you dedicated to type this complete and so detailled comments.
Such feedbacks are excellent for us, to help us improving our level of service and anticipate costumer needs.
I will not be able to respond to each point mentionned in your review but rest assured that each and every one of your observation will be shared with the respective team members.

Thank you again for your time and dedication to this review
Wishing to be your host again in one of our worldwide location.

McAllen, Texas
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort was like paradise, we stood there in October 2012 for 7 nights, had an over the water bungalow (RM# 201),and it was amazing, able to see the coral and all the colorful fish from the bungalow balcony or inside floor window was great!! About the personel they were outstanding never a dull moment to ask any questions everyone was so pleasant and courteous they made u feel like home. The only disadvantage was they did not have any shuttle to take you to Maharepa to shop( a small town ) we had to take a taxi and each taxi driver had different charge!! but other than that, Sofitel was the best,clean, well keeped landscaping and over all the people were amazingly freindly,pleasant, and courteous. Planning a vacation to Moorea I highly recommend this Hotel!.

1 Thank Bonnie R
Bonjour "Bonnie R"

I just got the chance to read your review, the team and myself are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay among us.
Thank you to have taken the time to share your appreciation. It will be passed along the entire team.

Looking forward to have you again in one of our hotel worldwide.

Best regards

Sofitel Moorea Beach resort
Athens, Greece
Reviewed October 21, 2012

As honeymooners we visited Sofitel Moorea in August 2011 for 6 days. We had a very nice overwater bungalow 216 I think near the end of the pontoon, (definitely it worth’s its money). Room was spacious and nice decorated. We had a window at the floor so we could admire the sea from the inside of our room. We had our own deck with sunbeds and we could dive all the day.
Hotel is really very nice, and clean; gardens are perfect, swimming pool very nice, beach is nice and sea is ok (I can say that I have swam in much better seas), people of the hotel are very friendly, polite and they try their best.
We had many activities in Moorea so we visited other hotels (I assume Pearl for the jet ski, and Intercontinental for the dolphin center) and we realized that Sofitel was the best hotel by far in the island.
The disadvantages of the hotel are that everything is very expensive (food, drinks…), although people of the hotel were friendly they were not very educated and organized. (They could come 2-3 different persons for the same issue in less than 5 minutes, it can become annoying).
Everybody has to understand that in such a green environment it is common to come in contact with insects and bugs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of pontoon. More privacy. Ideally at the left pontoon at the left side (f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tanos_1981
Bonjour "Tanos_1981"

Thank you for your feedbacks.
We are glad to read that overall your stay with us was a positive experience, and that you enjoyed the amenities of the facility.
It is true the cost of some prestations at the resort can be expensive, specially for food and beverage, nevertheless the cost of bringing some products to the hotel to be able to create a luxury experience on a far, isolated small island is also expensive.

We do our best effort to offer the best prestation at the best price to each and every guest.

Lookign forward to have you again among us.

Sofitel Moorea Beach Resort
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maharepa
Manava Beach Resort & Spa - Moorea
Fenua Mata'i'oa
Fenua Mata'i'oa
#1 of 1 in Haapiti
Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa

Been to Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort? Share your experiences!