3,281 results
All reviewsgarden bungalowour honeymoonfishfrench polynesialuxury overwater bungalowvue barrented a caroutdoor showerdinner buffetbeach bartravel agentlagoon viewbeautiful propertysnorkel geardream come trueentire stayclear water
Reviewed January 5, 2012

For context, we went for our honeymoon. We are in our mid thirties. We have stayed at many nice beaches in the US and worldwide (e.g., Miami, Thailand, Nice, Santa Monica, Taiwan, Cancun, Puerta Vallarta, Hawaii, etc.) We tend to stay at clean and modest, but not high end, accommodations.

Our summary of Moorea Sofitel:

- Though we had a garden bungalow, we had a nice, if somewhat obstructed, view of the water. This was our first trip to Moorea (and Tahiti and Bora Bora) and we were initially swept up in the fervor and purported necessity of a water bungalow. When we booked the trip, it was a combination of room availability and cost that had us reluctantly accept our second choice of a garden bungalow. As it turns out, we did not regret taking the garden bungalow at all. And we know what we missed in that, after Moorea, we flew directly to Bora Bora to stay in a Sofitel water bungalow -- yawn. If you are going to be out on the sand or in the water all day -- as you likely will -- what is the big deal about also sleeping over the water? We liked the contrast of going back to land to get our sleep.

- The room was large and clean. Much cleaner and apparently newer than the Bora Bora Sofitel.

- We really liked the "garden-setting" shower in our garden bungalow.

- Breakfast buffet was great. The food was good quality. During the three days we stayed here, the food selection did not seem to vary. It didn't bother us at all but we mention it nonetheless.

- I was very happy to run the length of the beach for exercise. If you like to run, you can run up and down as many times as you like. The sand has small rocks but it's all very nice. You cannot run on the beach at Bora Bora Sofitel because the beach was so tiny.

- In all, I didn't come to realize the many fine attributes of this hotel until we stayed (in a water bungalow) at the inferior Bora Bora Sofitel.

- I have no experience with hotel service because we stayed three nights and did not invite the staff to come in to clean.

- As to price, I believe it seemed reasonable in view of the other options on the island. But still a lot more than other trips to beaches in other countries.

- We brought snacks from home and pretty much ate two meals a day. We quickly learned that the meals away from the hotel are much more fun, varied, and economical. We highly recommend that you dine outside the hotel. You can ask the hotel reception to call the restaurant for a free ride to and from the restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Cameron L
Didier L, Directeur général at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Ia ora na from Moorea
Sorry for the delay, and thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort.
We are delighted to have been able to welcome you and share with you our corner of paradise!
We will take your feedback into consideration in order to improve. We hope to welcome you again very soon!
Mauruuru!

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Sofitel is a great resort where we stayed 3 nights during our honeymoon in Tahiti. We have also driven to other Moorea up scale resorts and I love the layout of Sofitel the most.
We were travelling with my parents and both reserved lagoon view bungalow, my parents were given a garden-layout bungalow which located lagoon front (garden bungalows are more spacious than lagoon view bungalows with little courtyard in the back).
We got a typical lagoon view bungalow but the two bungalows were next to each other. If you booked a lagoon view bungalow and don't get an upgrade from them, I'd recommend #323 (my parants' room) as it's more towards the end of the properties, you may hear some traffic at night as the main road is close to this part of the resort, however I didn't hear anything when I was in the room.
Snorkeling near the lagoon view bungalow part is not great, we had to walk to the beach to get a much better snorkeling experience.
Only negative thing is the location, Sofitel has incredible views of Tahiti main island, and you can have a sunrise view as well, however it's not within a walkable distance to anything. We had rented a car for two days so dining/shopper/site-seeing was not a problem, some restaurants offer free pick up too. If you stay here, I would highly recommend renting a car for your own use.

Room Tip: 323 for lagoon view bungalow as it's bigger and more toward the end.
2  Thank xubxin
Didier L, Directeur général at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Ia ora na!
Thank you for this beautiful sharing of experience, and what a "magnificent" praise for Sofitel Moorea! We are very touched by your comment, all our team thanks you for your stay with us, come back soon! Mauruuru!
Thank you for sharing your experience at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora and see you soon!

Reviewed December 21, 2011

My wife and I spent part of our honeymoon (3 nights) in Moorea at the Sofitel Ia Ora Resort, booked through Tahiti Travel Planners. When we arrived, the porters took our luggage and we were given fresh pineapple juice as we filled out paperwork. The staff were friendly and helpful and upgraded us from Lagoon View to Beach Bungalow for our honeymoon. The room was absolutely beautiful. We were near the end of the property so had some privacy and our front porch faced directly to the beach (well there was a hammock between us and the beach). The breakfast buffet was included in our stay, which we really enjoyed - especially the wonderful fresh fruit and juices. For lunch and dinner, the food was good, nothing great and quite expensive, but to be expected in Polynesia. We also went diving with Ia Ora Diving. It was our first real dive since becoming certified and we had a great time. The dive leader (I unfortunately forget his name) was very friendly and helpful. Since we were new divers, he took the time to make sure we remembered how to set up the equipment, reviewed hand signals, etc., and did so in a non-condescending way. When I started to run low on air before the others, he let me breathe off his tank so I didn't have to go up early. We saw sharks, wrasse, eels, and many other beautiful tropical fish. The snorkeling at the resort was great too. From the beach, head north-ish towards the public beach and just a few meters in the water there are great little reefs with an abundance of sea life in only a few feet of water. We even saw an octopus here, just a short ways away from our bungalow. Overall, we had a wonderful stay and would highly recommend Sofitel Ia Ora and Tahiti Travel Planners to anyone planning to go to Moorea. We hope to go back for our ten year anniversary.

Room Tip: Beach bungalows at the north end of the property have good privacy and quick access to great snorkeling.
5  Thank jmpncsu

Ia ora na!

Reviewed December 14, 2011

Sofitel Hotel resort in Moorea is stunning. Sadly to say, I cancelled my reservation on comments that was made on tripadvisor and regret my decision. After booking in at the Pearl Resort on the advise that the resort was smaller and more intimate, and the service was great (which it was especially at the front desk by Olivia and Karen - thanks guys) I thought we should check out the Sofitel. Well we were blown away, and the comments about bad service was false - the guys there went out of their way hence we went there for lunch and dinner the 5 days we stayed in Moorea. The Pearl was great but did lack in the food and beverage side both on the actual food and service provided (terrible if I had to be honest). Part from that we would stay at the SOfitel next time we go to Moorea.

Last but not least, stay in the overwater bungalows - having been upgraded to the Premium Overwater bungalow at the Pearl we couldn't drag us away from that and decided to stay another night but eating at the Sofitel.

Will - Auckland, New Zealand

5  Thank William K

Ia ora na from Moorea
Mauruuru!

Reviewed December 9, 2011

Going into this trip I was somewhat unsure as to what I should expect. There are a lot of amazing reviews for the Sofitel and then there are a few iffy ones. My experience fell in-line with those who had an excellent experience. After spending 6 days at the Sofitel and having time to explore the island and other hotels, I am extremely happy with our selection.

When speaking with friends about the trip and making recommendations for their future travel it always seems to come down to the Sofitel or the Hilton on Moorea. At their core the hotels are very similar. In my opinion the Sofitel's design, finishes etc were much more up-to-date and polished. The Hilton was also nice, but it felt a bit dated and perhaps too American for what we were looking for (we didn't fly across the Pacific for an American experience). If I were to break down the difference between these 2 hotels it would be the style of service (not to be mistaken for quality). At the Hilton you sit down at the beach or the pool and shortly there after a staffer will be there asking you if you are interested in a beverage etc. At the Sofitel however, employees are more than happy to greet you with a hello (na-nah) and a smile and then stay out of your way. If you need something they are there and ready to help.

In terms of the rooms. We spent the first 2/3 of our trip in a Overwater Luxury Bungalow and it was awesome. Comfortable, clean, fun, cool, etc. It was a great experience. As someone who has not stayed in Moorea, Bora Bora prior ... it was everything I hoped for and maybe a little bit more. The latter 1/3 of our stay was spent in a Lagoon view Bungalow. The room was not quite as nice as the Overwater Bungalow, but had we not stayed in a Luxury Bungalow first I doubt I would have any meaningful complaints (other than a lack of a tub).

With any business I think a good recommendation boils down to a single question: "Would you go back?". With my experience at the Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort, the answer is a resounding yes. I got everything I wanted out of the trip and I am far from easy to please as a customer. So, in summary: excellent hotel, excellent staff, excellent experience, the list goes on. Offline I highly recommend this hotel, online I will do the same.

Room Tip: Non "luxury" rooms do not have tubs.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank zebuzz

Ia Orana from Moorea,
Sorry for the delay. But what a wonderful sharing of experience! We are delighted to have welcomed you to our corner of paradise!
We do our best to make you live a real Polynesian experience. A unique experience.
The teams are very touched by your comment and thank you very much.
See you soon at Sofitel Moorea, Mauruuru!