“Welcome to Paradise”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Maharepa
Utah
“Welcome to Paradise”
Reviewed November 12, 2010

I have always wanted to go to Tahiti and this was our first trip there. We realy enjoyed our stay and don't think we could have chosen any better. The Morrea Pearl Resort and Spa is "Fantastic." From the moment you walk on the premises you feel like you have found paradise. The Reception center is beautiful and clean. The staff is very freindly and helpful. We had reserved a garden suite through our travel agency but we decided to upgrade to an over water bungalow when we arrived. They where very helpful and got us right into our room. The bungalow was wonderful and well worth the extra cost. The room was very clean and the staff did a great job keeping it that way. The food was good although a little on the expensive side. We booked a Dive tour through the dive center located at the resort and are very happy with the service we recieved. The diving was nice and the dive master was very helpful and freindly. The spa was also very well staffed and did a incredible job. The location of the resort is perfect. Just a short walk from town and one of the better shoping areas on the island. We rented a car just across the street from the resort and drove around the island. It takes about 2 hours. Belvedire look out and the ruins along the way are a great stop.
We had a wonderful time and are looking forward to returning. We would highly recommend the Morrea Peal.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
New Jesey
Reviewed November 3, 2010

Stayed in a garden bungaloo with a private pool. It was quiet and lovely. Enjoyed the pool area and the kayaks along with their snorkle gear. Food was quite nice and we enjoyed the open dining room for meals. Management was responsive to our needs. Convenient to a small shopping center down the road...a 3-5 minute walk.

1 Thank Magicbob
London
Reviewed October 24, 2010

We went to FP on our Honeymoon and took the promotion offered by the Pearl Resorts (stay 5 nights in certain hotels, get 5 nights free in other hotels). We paid for 6 nights at the Moorea Pearl and had 5 free nights at the Tikehau Pearl (see separate review for Tikehau Pearl).

We didn't go to Bora Bora, but I do wonder whether we should have chosen Bora Bora over Moorea (it would have cost us £800 more for Bora Bora, however). I say this because the over water bungalos at Moorea are actually over darker water, not the crystal green. But the beautiful green/turquoise is still visible from the bungalos.

The overwater bungalows were spacious and comfortable. We arrived to find our bed decorated in a large heart made out of hibiscus flowers, very nice! We also were given a bottle of champagne and we had a free upgrade to a premium OWB for the last 2 nights (same room, but facing out to the ocean rather than in to the resort).

Only real complaint: there was a wedding on our first night, and the music was extremely loud and played until 1 am - not what we needed on our first night after 22 hours in a plane and an 11 hour time difference. However, the hotel assured us that this was an unusual event. I hope so - we weren't impressed (we were sent a bottle of white wine the next day with compliments - a nice gesture, but I would have preferred undisturbed sleep!).

The weather was quite windy and stormy for a few days, so we did spend some quiet days at the resort, but we didn't mind. We enjoyed exploring the nearby shops - great little cafe a short walk away (Carameline) which offered more affordable breakfasts, lunches, and fantastic ice cream and coffee. Also a grocery story which helped make the stay more affordable.

We used the kayaks quite a bit, kayaking as far as all the way into Cook's Bay, and up the other way towards the airport. Good way to see the coast and the beautiful green/turquoise water.

The bungalows are over coral so you can snorkel around them - the water is mostly shallow on the interior area; the premium ones are over deeper water. Snorkelling was very good and you could see lots of fish, eels, and sharks from the bungalows.

We went diving with the resort's diver, Lino - fantastic diving and felt very confident with him. We saw a huge number of fish.

We rented a scooter and went around the island. Most of the coast is private land so you can't actually do much with it - ie, can't go to another beach. Nice to see the island, though. We also went horse riding in the interior, in the mountains a bit and saw the pineapple plantations.

The decks/sunloungers on the decks really mean that you can just enjoy yourself in the privacy of your own place.

Food is very expensive but very good (most meals are around £20 excluding drinks).

Very quiet at night - no nightlife - (apart from the first night with the noisy wedding) - which is what we were looking for, but might not suit all travellers! Be prepared to spend a lot of quality time with each other and read a lot of books! Lovely.

We also enjoyed a very relaxing couple's massage with monoi oil, wonderful.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank juleve
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed October 15, 2010

We started our honeymoon on the Island of Moorea, at the Pearl Resort and Spa. It exceeded our expectations and I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Moorea in the future.

The staff was so kind upon our arrival, with smiles, useful information and efficiency getting us settled and into our bungalow. Everyone working at the resort was friendly, helpful and genuinely wanted us to enjoy our stay.

One of the many "pros" of staying at the Pearl, was its location. We were close to the airport and conveniently within walking distance of a general/grocery store. (10 min walk max). This was a big advantage as food at all of the resorts in French Polynesia is quite expensive. We were able to walk to the store and buy bottles of water, wine, snacks, etc to keep in our bungalow during our stay!

The spa was great. Rooms were clean and smelled wonderful as they are decorated with fresh flowers upon arrival.

We had breakfast included in our package and the buffet offered a wide range of food. I have a gluten intolerance and therefore require a special diet. I had plenty to choose from and felt like it was definitely worth the money!

All in all, a great resort. We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Shannon O'Hagan

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 14, 2010

My husband and I celebrated our 10th Anniversary in the French Polynesian Islands. Life just doesn’t get better than this! We stayed at Pearl Resorts during our stay and would highly recommend each one (See other reviews for Manava Resort in Tahiti, and Bora Bora Pearl Resort.)

Resort:
Moorea Pearl Resort is gorgeous! It’s smaller than we expected and quite intimate, and you don’t feel like a number. This was one of my favorite features. I would consider it a large boutique resort. The view from the infinity pool is gorgeous as it overlooks the (OWB) outwater bungalows and ocean. Some past reviewer complained that the OWB blocked the ocean view, we didn’t find it a problem.

Resort Location:
Excellent. Not too far from the airport and about a 10 minute walk to a local town, which was more like a small shopping district with a few shops, restaurants and grocery store. We picked up some wine, cheese, bread and other drinks at the grocery store to supplement food at the resort and dinners out. The town is so close, you have to go there at least once to experience it. And not to mention you can save money purchasing your own drinks and food here.

Accommodations: We stayed in a Garden Bungalow which included its own private backyard and plunge pool. If you want ultimate privacy, this is it. Absolutely amazing! We spent a lot of time in the backyard soaking in the sun in the privacy of our own back yard. Grab a drink from the refrigerator (which they will stock if you call, or take a trip to the local grocery store) and enjoy! I found the backyard a great way to still be in the sun, but when you need a change of scenery from the pool or beach. The inside of bungalow was very spacious, along with the bathroom. We felt as if this was our little home during our stay. The resort has OWB’s but they are in deeper, not as clear water as Bora Bora. I would save your money and get an OWB on Bora Bora. Plus, Moorea is the place to experience a plunge pool. Although the Pearl resort had even better Garden Bungalows than the Moorea Resort, it would be such a shame to miss out on a OWB in Bora Bora. Follow my advice and you will not be disappointed.

Service:
Our greeting by the staff was very friendly and welcoming. The check in press was very prompt and painless. (Ah, if it could be like this everywhere). We were given a tour of the resort and escorted to our room. Service for the most part was very good overall. At dinner one night, we felt ignored and rushed. I’m not sure if it was an isolated incident, or it is the culture here. They were not rude, but more indifferent. It seemed as if service was lacking, and it was usually in the restaurants at lunch/dinner. All other staff was wonderful.

Food:
Food was great, no major complaints except for the pizza. Well, we deserve that for ordering pizza in Moorea!!! The pizza appeared and tasted as if everything was frozen or canned. We ate 2 pieces and threw it out (and we NEVER waste food). The poison cru (coconut-lime marinated fish) is a must, if you like raw fish. I couldn’t get enough of this local dish. The breakfast buffet was great, quite a variety of food for everyone. The crepes were my favorite as I would add chocolate & peanut butter to them. Yum! The buffet was the same every day. lt would have been nice to see them switch up the variety each day, but not a big deal. Yes, the food is pricey but you have to expect that as everything is basically shipped in. EVERYTHING is expensive here. EVERYONE should know that things are more expensive here, so if you are shocked by this, you haven’t done your research. Prices will always be more at the resorts. Expect to pay more and budget it into your trip. I was worried about spending a fortune on food. You can easily save money if you supplement resort meals with local restaurants and grocery store purchased food. If you typical eat 3 full meals at home then be prepared to spend some money if you eat a full meal each day at the resort (or any other resort). After eating the breakfast buffet (included in our package), we usually didn’t need much for the rest of the day. We ate dinner outside the resort once at Te Honu Iti, it was good, but somewhat disappointing (see my review).

Activities:
The resort has free snorkeling equipment (we brought our own which I recommend) and free kayaks. Although the water is not as clear as Bora Bora, I would highly recommend snorkeling at the resort near the OWB. Amazing! (For the best snorkeling see my review for Bora Bora Pearl Resort). Kayaking is not only fun, you get a great view of the resort out in the ocean. We went on an amazing 4X4 safari adventure in which you must do when in Moorea. We saw Majic Mountain, Belevdere Point, juice distillery, pineapple plantation, and many more things. We didn’t take advantage of the Manea Spa in Moorea but we did in Bora Bora. I’d wait and use the Manea Spa in Bora Bora as it is AMAZING (see my review).

Moore Pearl is incredible resort which I would stay again, and again, and I HIGHLY recommend it. It was small enough in which you don’t feel like a number, but yet offered all the amenities of a large upscale resort. You will not be disappointed, unless you are one of those high maintenance types who finds something wrong with everything. Some past reviews complained how the pool tile was dirty. It was NOT dirty, it was wear and tear, and perhaps due to the weather. And if the pool tile is going to be a deciding factor if stay at a resort or not, PLEASE! Trust me, I have very high expectations and tastes (ask my husband), but I know what is important. If the pool was dirty I would have never swam in it. Also another review complained about how rude the staff was. I thought the restaurant staff at time were slow or indifferent ,but they were never rude. Perhaps this reviewer was rude to them. Chill out folks, you are on VACATION and you are visiting a place in which people DREAM of going.

Enjoy your visit!

8 Thank AkronTravelBug
Boucherville, Canada
Reviewed October 13, 2010

We stayed one week at thi hotel with the half-pension deal. the food at the restaurant is the best of all our trip in french polynesia and its very cool that the dinner is included. The pool have a great view of the pilotis house in the lagoon. The blue dive compagny at the hotel is very professional, the masterdiver is very friendly and skilled. The beach is very small but you can rent a car to go to temae beach where theres potatos corals reefs. Dont expect to see a lot of corals all the corals are dead because of a seastar, pollution and el nino effect. it was my deception of my trip. But if you like scubadiving you will see a lots of fish and sharks. The sharks are not dangerous but dont forget its wild animal. If you want to save money go to the supermarket at marahepa and buy bottles waters ans good wine too. we dont have a very room it looks like a basement but we dont spend to much time in our room so we dont care.

Mountain View, California
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Moorea Pearl Resort & Spa is absolute paradise. My husband and I came here for our honeymoon and we didn't want to leave. The rooms are gorgeous, the view is amazing, the location is great, and the staff is friendly. It's conveniently located walking from downtown and right across the street from a car rental place (where you can do a daily rental if you want to explore the island a bit). I believe bike rentals were also next door, but we didn't take advantage of that. Since we went for our honeymoon, the staff even upgraded our garden view room to an overwater bungalow for 2 of the 4 nights (that a double upgrade!). Having a private overwater bungalow is the most amazing experience. There is a glass bottom floor where you can see fish swimming below you. There is also good snorkeling right on site. My husband and I spotted an octopus directly under our bungalow!

The only negative comment I would give is the restaurant. The food is extremely pricey and expensive. For one dinner, we spent about $50 USD on a dish that was just 4 measly overcooked shrimp. It's worth your while to walk to restaurants nearby. Local restaurants will also sometimes drive over to pick you up if requested.

Overall, I loved staying here. I would love to come back one day and experience it all over again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maharepa
Manava Suite Resort Tahiti
Fenua Mata'i'oa
#1 of 1 in Haapiti
Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa
Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort

Been to Manava Beach Resort & Spa - Moorea? Share your experiences!