“Perfect Honeymoon at the Pearl”

Manava Beach Resort & Spa - Moorea
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Maharepa
Reviewed August 25, 2009

We stayed at the Moore Pearl in mid-August 2009 and it could not have been better. From the moment we walked into the open-air lobby until the van came to take us back to the Moorea airport, the staff was very friendly, helpful, and hospitable.

I. Check-In:

Arriving at the Pearl (about 7:30 AM) was everything we had expected from pictures and then some. There were palm trees all around the driveway with a ten-foot Tiki statue standing guard. The lobby, like almost everything on the island, is open-air with several wicker seating arrangements, an activities desk, and a Tahitian pearl shop (Tahia Collins). The reception staff was very friendly and immediately offered us ice water with lime and a cool, wet towel, which was much appreciated. We completed the check-in paperwork and when I went back to the reception desk we received our first surprise…

…we had been upgraded! And not just any upgrade, we had been upgraded to a premium overwater bungalow, the cream of the crop! Our travel package we booked was originally for a standard beach bungalow, so while I was hoping we would be upgraded since I had been hearing tourism was down in the area, I never anticipated we would be bumped to the POWB. The receptionist who was helping us get checked in, Isabelle, said that they had upgraded us because we were staying at the Pearl for as long as we were (8 days, 7 nights). This made sense to me since so often in the area travelers tend to break up their trips to three or four nights each in Moorea and Bora Bora.

To make matters all the better, Isabelle also told our room was ready – at 8 AM (check-in isn’t officially until 2 PM) – and she escorted us past the resort’s two restaurants and the pool, and onto the boardwalk to our first home as married couple (Room 419).

II. The Room:

She walked us through the room and pointed our the key features – shower with amenities, two-tiered balcony with an outdoor shower, king-size bed, a smaller day bed, and glass coffee table with a glass window below it to look down to the water below. All of the furniture in the room was a deep color wood with light linens. For that matter, most everything in the resort is the same stain of wood, which I thought added a feel of luxury on top of the obvious tropical feel. The room had a lot to offer without feeling overcrowded!

Our first night, housekeeping came to the door with a chilled bottle of champagne as a welcoming gift. And the second night, they came again with a bag from the Tahia Collins store in the lobby. Inside the bag was a single Tahitian pear and a note that said we could keep the pearl as a gift or bring it to the shop and trade it in to be put toward a different purchase…talk about thoughtful! Not to mention that each day – sometimes in the morning, sometimes in the evening – housekeeping would decorate our room with tropical flowers and leave small cards telling stories and legends of the islands.

III. The Pearl Grounds:

The resort grounds are well thought out and the attention to detail is obvious. The walkway to and from the lobby is flanked by the bar on one side and the regular restaurant on the other. There isn’t a bad table in the restaurant for a view as most of the tables are oriented to face the resort grounds – infinity pool, beach, and overwater bungalows). Behind the regular restaurant is the hotel’s gourmet restaurant, which is only open for dinner.

The infinity pool is quite large with about 20 beach chairs surrounding it. Finding empty chairs was not usually a problem, but there were a couple times when a few more would have been better. The water in the pool was usually pretty chilly and we couldn’t figure out if this was due to the evening breezes and cooler temperatures, the rain showers we got periodically the first couple days of our stay, or something else. In any event, a cool swim was a nice respite from the hot sun. Connected to the pool is a jetted tub. At first I thought it was a great idea to have a hot tub to use during the cooler evenings, but when we tested the water it was the same temperature as the pool water. So, they must intend for it to be used during the day, which could still be a relaxing way to beat the heat.

During a couple afternoons, the groundskeepers were putting assembling a new outdoor hut for towels, kayak paddles, and snorkel gear. But, by no means was this a distraction and I’m sure it will fit in much better than the vinyl tent they set up daily.

IV. Snorkeling:

This was my first tropical trip (other than Florida’s Gulf coast), so any snorkeling was good snorkeling to me. With that said the reviews comparing the island’s other larger resorts (Hilton, Sofitel, and Intercontinental) probably do have better snorkeling as their lagoon water was shallower than that of the Pearl. However, the Pearl does have a very good array of marine life around its coral – both in the shallower part between the beach and OWBs and in the deeper part past the OWBs. As mentioned in other reviews, there is a 30-35 foot drop off right past the row of premium OWBs and this is where we saw the broadest size and color spectrum of fish (including an eel one evening). And since the water is deeper here, it is not quite as clear as the shallower water, but it by no means cloudy or murky.

V. Food:

We did not go to the Pearl’s gourmet restaurant, so I cannot provide my two cents there. What we called the regular restaurant was very good in our opinion. We had the meal plan, which provided free breakfast buffet and two free courses at dinner (drinks are also not included at dinner). While Isabelle was introducing us to the Pearl after check-in, she told us that if on any day we wanted to eat outside of the resort we could trade our meal plan and have lunch included instead of dinner. I didn’t know this going in and was a great option to have without just forfeiting a meal altogether. It also allowed us to get out and try several of the island’s most-talked-about restaurants without feeling guilty about it.

The breakfast buffet including many American breakfast basics: cereal, eggs made to order, pancakes, bacon, sausage, and hash browns. There were also several pastries, a half dozen jams and spreads, fresh fruit, cheeses, and fresh fruit juice. We thought it would be impossible for anyone to find something they didn’t like. However, we don’t think it would be worth paying ~$30-35 for it without the meal plan.

We ate lunch at the Pearl three times. There are about a dozen item to choose from on the lunch menu – a couple salads, 4-5 entrées, and 4-5 sandwiches. Each time we ate there we only had the sandwiches, which were above average. We had a chicken, mozzarella, and tomato Panini; a ham, mozzarella, and tomato Panini; and a cheeseburger. All three came with fries which were better than we were expecting (not that they’re difficult to make). Lunches would have been ~4500 CFP for sandwiches and drinks if we didn’t have the meal plan.

We also ate dinner three times at the Pearl. Two of the nights were buffet: a Mediterranean buffet and a seafood buffet. The Mediterranean buffet (Mondays) had a couple salads, fresh pasta with four sauce choices, baked white fish, tomato gazpacho, breads, and a handful of desserts from which to choose. The seafood buffet (Wednesdays) also had a couple salads, poisson cru, BBQ pork, a couple varieties of grilled fish, rice, and a couple choices of dessert. We agreed that the Mediterranean buffet was better than the seafood buffet.

Our regular, sit-down dinner was very good. Since our meal plan covered two courses, we decided to have entrées and desserts and to skip appetizers (this worked out fine since none of them were particularly appealing to us anyway). We had Thai mahi mahi with lemongrass and rice and the tuna steak with a coconut and wasabi sauce with rice and vegetables. Both meals were very good and the chef’s presentation was very nice and colorful. For dessert, we each had three scoops of ice cream (get vanilla ice cream every chance you get…it’s made with fresh vanilla from the island).

The one downside to the meals at the Pearl are the cats that roam the restaurant looking for dropped food and tourists to feed them (there is also a dog at breakfast). This wouldn’t have been a big deal, but my wife is allergic to them.

OUTSIDE THE PEARL

I. Excursions:

We went on three excursions during our week. First was Albert’s ATV tour (12,000 CFP – 3 hours for two and the ATV) through the inner island. We went to Belvedere Lookout, the agricultural school, and Magic Mountain. Our tour guide was fantastic – all along the way telling us about the island, the people, and how they use the resources of the island. We overheard some of the other tours at Belvedere and at a hut we stopped at to try homemade jams and juices and felt very lucky to have the tour guide we did. He was full of fun facts and outside-the-box tidbits that it didn’t seem like the other tours were getting.

We also went on Albert’s Lagoon Tour (14,000 CFP – 6 hours for two and lunch). We had a good idea of what to expect as we had read other trip reports, but it was very fun to be around the rays and sharks. Our tour guide, Siki, was also great and very funny. After feeding the rays and sharks, we went to a motu across from the Intercontinental where we had a Tahitian lunch, poisson cru demonstration, and a coconut demonstration. This was a great tour and while it takes most of the day, it was worth every penny (or CFP).

Finally, we went on Dr. Poole’s Dolphin and Whale Watching excursion (15,600 CFP – about 3 hours for two). He is very informative and easy to listen to. He said he has a 95% success rate of seeing dolphins on his tours and a 90% success rate of seeing whales when they are in the area (Jul-Oct). We did see two species of dolphins a couple locations, but no whales. And, unfortunately, my wife got sea sick about half way through the tour, so that put a bit of a damper on our experience. Nevertheless, it was very enjoyable.

II. Food:

Even though we had the meal plan we were still able to venture out to five of Moorea’s restaurants. It would be hard to put them in order of our favorites since they were all very good, so I’ll list them in the order we went to them:

Rudy’s – This is in Maharepa, the town just down the road from the Pearl. Rudy’s was a great first impression of Moorea’s restaurants. Rudy (I assume) picked us up at the Pearl and took us to his restaurant; he was very friendly in the van and throughout the meal. My wife had parrot fish stuffed with crab and topped with a light cream sauce with rice and green beans. I had slow-roasted beef marinated in burgundy wine and topped with a dark Bordeaux sauce with fettuccini and green beans. Each entrée also came with a piece of Tahitian bread fruit, which was pretty good, but didn’t taste like anything familiar. We also each had a glass of wine. 6400 CFP total.

Le Sud - We wanted to go to L’Ananas Bleu (The Blue Pineapple), but were told their credit card machine wasn’t working that day. So, we elected to go to Le Sud, which is across the street from the market in Maharepa. We each had a ham and gruyere pizza and a large Hinano (Hinanos came in regular (37 cL) and large (50 cL) bottles). The pizza was simple, but excellent! Everything on it was fresh and the Hinanos really hit the spot. 4600 CFP total.

Le Mahogany - Mahogany is located about a mile east of the Pearl. We thought about walking, but decided opted for the pick-up since we didn’t want to walk along the side of the road at dark. It is a simple restaurant – as most are on the island – but we both had very good meals. Again, we each had a glass of wine. My wife had scallops and shrimp in a butter cream sauce over French bread with green beans. I had mahi mahi with a coconut sauce and rice. For dessert, my wife had an apple tart with vanilla ice cream…once again the ice cream stole the show of her dessert! But, my dessert stole the show for the whole meal…I had what my wife called “pineapple surprise.” It was a half pineapple (cut length-wise) that was cored. Inside the pineapple shell was the fruit that had been cut into chunks with coconut ice cream, rum, and whipped cream. I probably could have eaten three more! 8760 CFP total.
We also had lunch one day at Mahogany. You can choose from the same items they serve for dinner or from a smaller lunch menu. We decided to each get a burger and fries even though there were more traditional items on the menu. Both burgers were big, very juicy and tasted great! The fries were very good too. 3650 CFP total.

Aitos - The restaurant is unique as they boast three different types of seating: covered, beach, and overwater seating. We elected to go with the beach seating, which is on a small section of sand in front of a rock retaining wall right by the lagoon. Unfortunately, we couldn’t see the lagoon as it was already dark. They have live music every Tuesday and Friday… our night was a guy who looked and sounded American who played the acoustic guitar. It was fun and added a little bit extra to the experience…oh by the way, the food was very good too! My wife had salmon with vanilla sauce, rice, and green beans. I had tuna with coconut sauce, rice, and green beans. We decided to skip dessert at the restaurant and have it back at the Pearl. 6400 CFP total.

Te Honu Iti - All of the meals we had outside of the Pearl were good, but Te Honu Iti was by far the best. The atmosphere was fantastic…the restaurant sits at the end of Cooks Bay and has spotlights that shine into the shallow water below. We had a table outside at the edge of the railing that overlooks the water and allowed us to see the half dozen rays gliding and other fish swimming through the water below us. And about half way through our meal, one of the owners came out to provide entertainment by feeding the rays and fish some of the fish leftovers from the restaurant. It was then that a reef shark came into the light to get some dinner too. On to the meal…we each had a glass of Riesling and got an appetizer of cooled smoked salmon with hot cubed potatoes and a warm broth. I wasn’t sure about the mostly raw salmon when it came out, but it was very good. Both the salmon and potatoes had a great seasoning on them and the dish had an interesting contract of warm and cold. For our entrées, Vanessa had shrimp curry with rice and vegetables…she couldn’t stop saying how good it was. I had beef tenderloin in a champagne reduction sauce with sliced, roasted potatoes and vegetables. For dessert, Vanessa had a warm chocolate cake with more fresh vanilla ice cream and I had Te Honu Iti’s signature dessert: a warm apple tart with vanilla ice cream. We splurged by getting both an appetizer and dessert, but it was well worth it. We probably would have gone back a second time if we had gone earlier in the week. 13,500 CFP total.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
13  Thank RMIgolfer
There are newer reviews for Manava Beach Resort & Spa - Moorea

999 - 1,005 of 1,878 reviews

Reviewed August 21, 2009

Do yourself a favor and stay away from this so-called luxury hotel! What a farce. My husband and two small daughters just returned from gorgeous Tahiti, and we will return to the islands, but not this sham of a hotel. The manager, Isabelle, was the hotel's only redeeming quality, she was a very pleasant person. The room was okay, the bed was not. The television had poor reception and only had local stations and CNN. The staff were absolutely horrible, especially at the restaurant. The restaurant had extremely uninspiring food, while being extremely expensive. Luckily we had breakfast and dinner included in our vacation package. The buffets were horrendously expensive if you didn't have the food included in your package. One night the price was $150.00 per person, and the food was not worthy of the price. I especially loved the red conference room chairs (tacky) that they put in the restaurant to supplement the regular beach restaurant chairs. To me that just demonstrated total lack of care of the management to provide their clientele with a nice atmosphere. The red chairs made the restaurant reminiscent of a cheap hotel in Las Vegas. Just look at their website at their conference room and you will see the chairs I am referring too. The pool was nice but cold. I don't understand how the management would not heat the pool, especially at a "luxury" hotel. I use that word very loosely. Did I mention the jacuzzi was colder than the pool? I heard that the small pools (more like jacuzzis) in the garden bungalows were not heated either. I can't imagine paying more money for a room at this hotel and not having warm water in the private pool. The pool service was comical. We asked for towels at 5:30 p.m. and the pool guy, while standing behind the counter of the pool cabana told us he was closed. He then asked my husband what happened to the towels we had earlier? Inappropriate question in my opinion. My husband said someone had taken them, the pool guy then said "That's not my fault." I'm hoping this statement was just an French/English translation issue. Then the next morning at around 9:00 a.m. we wanted some towels and they didn't have any available yet. Did I mention the evening my 5 year old asked the same pool guy for some flippers at around 5:30 p.m.? Closed again! They also had some sort of construction going on in the original pool cabana, so we had to listen to jack hammering during the day. Any true "luxury" hotel will warn you in advance of your stay if there is going to be construction. Overall, I got the impression that they feel that their clientele is not savvy enough to truly comprehend the lackluster service. My family travels a great deal, and we always stay at very nice hotels, indeed our last trip in April of this year we stayed at the Anantara Resort in Phuket, Thailand. Very expensive, but worth it. I don't mind spending a lot of money, I just want to feel like I'm getting something in return. At the Moorea Pearl, they just price gouge and I believe it will come back to to them sooner than later, especially in this economy. Over and over my husband and I kept saying, I am so glad this is not our honeymoon! Indeed, this was a last minute trip booked a week before we left. I couldn't imagine if this had been a trip we had planned a year in advance. I feel sorry for anyone that books at this hotel after reading my review. . . Buyer beware!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
12  Thank Mommythetraveler
Reviewed August 17, 2009

My husband and I traveled here for our honeymoon in July/August 2009. We stayed for 5 nights, the first two in a premium overwater and the last three in a garden deluxe with pool. We didn't book the private pool, we were upgraded. I'm not sure why or how, but when we signed in they make you sign a piece of paper and put a credit card on the room; it was on there where I had seen we had been upgraded. It was definitely a nice surprise when we switched rooms, although we didn't even use the pool...or puddle as my husband called it. We did find a gecko in the garden bungalow. We have never seen one, but we knew they were harmless.
The snorkeling was pretty good. Take a kayak out towards the reef where it gets shallow at. That is very neat to see. The grounds were well kept, everyone was extremely polite and kind. We ordered room service twice and it was wonderful. We only ate one breakfast at the resort otherwise we ate in Maharepa.
Ther resort is very close to town, about a five minute walk, so that was nice. We rented a scooter one day and toured the island and I had read this before going and cannot agree with it more, it is definitely the best placed resort on the island. We are farm kids from South Dakota and don't like commotion and noise and it was perfect for us, but we could still walk or get picked up to whereever we wanted to go for supper.
It may not have the shallowest, bluest water outside the OWB's, but if that is your priority than stay in a different hotel. It is deeper, but you can also dive, jump, fly, off your deck which is a great feeling! Also, there are quite a few more fish (and other water wildlife) around the OWB's than other hotels.
We didn't lay by the pool or on the beach, but the resort seemed to be full so most chairs were taken. I can see how that might be a problem if you're the type to travel to such an expensive place and lay around.
The overwater bungalow was amazing. You were given robes and monoi oil along with nightly turndown. Women--warn your husbands of this. I had read this and didn't think of telling my husband so was confused when we had someone at the door at 8:30pm.
We also caught part of the polynesian dance show at the resort on Wednesday night and thought it was good, but that is because we had never seen one either.
A full review of our trip will be posted in the Moorea forum in the next few days.
There is also free wireless internet in the bar. I didn't know this when we went, but it was perfect to send a quick email to our families telling them we had made it to paradise and weren't returning. :)

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank sdgirl25
Reviewed July 23, 2009

We spent 8 nights here in July and found this resort to be one of the best we have stayed in. It is not a big resort which we really liked.
We arranged our own transfers on the ferry and then took a taxi to the hotel which worked out fine and hassle free for us.
The staff were very friendly and helpful upon check in.
We had a garden duplex suite, with a king bed upstairs and 2 singles for the kids (16 & 12) downstairs. It was a great room and very clean - even though we had a garden view, we could just see a tiny bit of the pool/ocean which was great. What we liked here at this resort was that there were no bugs or creepy crawlies in the rooms that you often find in tropical places.

Thank goodness we had a meal plan (breakfast/dinner). I don't think we would come here without one as the prices are VERY expensive. Meals were great, plenty of variety for everyone we thought.
Pool area is beautiful and clean. There is not a big beach here but it is still quite nice and good snorkelling for the kids. We used the hotels kayaks alot.
We did do the hotels 2 hour jet ski tour - damn expensive for the 4 of us but what a fantastic trip. Our guide was great and the tour was way better than we expected. The guide took us to the stingrays where he feed them and they came right up to us and then the reef sharks came, but not that close!!! We thoroughly enjoyed it, even if the price was out of this world!!! (around $900NZD).
We often walked to the village just down the road (Maharepa) and got icecreams or snacks there from the cafes or supermarket. Still expensive but not as bad as the resorts.
We hired a car and looked round most of the resorts on the island and were so happy that we decided to stay at the Moorea Pearl as we thought it looked alot nicer than the other resorts, plus not spread out like the others. The pool at the Pearl was much nicer too.
We will definitely be back to stay here, it is totally awesome.
Our only advice - get the meal plans or take heaps of money otherwise, you will need it!! Tahiti is a very expensive place to travel to, but we thought it was well worth it, what a beautiful piece of paradise.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank SunloversSouthland
Reviewed July 18, 2009

We were booked for 5 nights at the Moorea Pearl. This hotel exceeded our expectations. We were very early for our check-in so they had us sit in the lobby and enjoy some fruit juice and gave us a cold face cloth. We inquired about upgrading to an overwater bungalow since we were booked into a garden view room for the duration of our stay. We were told that it would be $190/night to upgrade to the overwater. We decided to stay in our garden view room. Although the room was certainly not as modern or as nice as the rooms at The Radisson in Tahiti, they were satisfactory. The décor is definitely older – more ‘70s/’80s and they could use some updating, but since we spent little time in the room, it was fine with us. It was nice to have a DVD player in the room, as we used it nightly since the only other channel we could watch in English was CNN International. Upon arrival in our room, we were greeted with a large heart made out of hisbiscus flowers on our bed, which was very sweet. Since it was the 4th of July, the hotel also welcomed us with a free Tahitian DVD of dancing/singing.

The hotel staff very graciously informed us that there was a shopping center just a short walk down the road, so we decided to explore. It was fantastic having this shopping area within walking distance to the hotel and I think all the guests took advantage of having a supermarket, cafes, the post office, shops, and a few restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. We immediately went to the supermarket to buy deli meats, baguettes, snacks, water, and Tahiti drink. We had brought a fold-up cooler with us and it was fantastic to fill with ice and keep some of our own food in the room. We had the breakfast and dinner meal plan at the hotel, but we were on our own for lunch. We took advantage of this shopping center almost daily to run to the supermarket, make purchases like post cards and pareos, etc. We also loved Carmeline’s for the ice cream and pastries that we tasted there.

The Pearl Hotel grounds are beautiful. The flowers are amazing and make the entire hotel smell wonderful. We loved sitting by the pool, which had a beautiful view and was quite large. The pool area was quite busy and the activity desk there was great with loaning out snorkeling equipment, kayaks, etc. The hotel had free wifi, which was fantastic and we definitely took advantage of that daily to check our emails quickly and upload some pictures from our trip. They had a great variety of fish living right near the hotel, including lionfish, stonefish, flutes, trumpetfish, puffers, octopus, etc. All the guests loved snorkeling around and “fish watching” at dusk. There was a mix of guests at the hotel. At the beginning of the week it seemed to be mostly American honeymooners and Australian families. Toward the end of the week, it was still American honeymooners, as well as a mix of European honeymooners, and Japanese couples.

Overall, the hotel was run very efficiently. The staff was very courteous and polite. Everything was very clean. The staff at the restaurant got overwhelmed quite easily during dinnertime, but were very apologetic for their slow responses. One evening we did wait over 30 minutes before even receiving water at our table, but enjoyed the view and just waited patiently. Our waitress apologized quite often that it was a “busy night” for them.

We loved having the meal plan at the hotel. It made life very easy for us. Each morning was a great breakfast buffet. In the evenings we either had a sit-down meal where we each ordered a main dish as well as our choice of appetizer or dessert. The food was fantastic. On two nights there were specialty buffet/Polynesian dance shows. We could not get over how much food they had at these buffets! We often felt like we were rolling ourselves back to the room at night.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank JenntheDiver
Reviewed July 13, 2009

My wife and I stayed 8 nights at Moorea Pearl Resort in February in a deluxe overwater bungalow. We had paid for four there and were scheduled to move into a cheaper room, but the hotel comp'd us and told us to just stay put on the overwater bungalow. The room was plenty large and clean. Bed and linens were very nice. Lots of fish. The room is over a reef so you get plenty under your room and right outside where the reef drops off. You can safely jump or dive off our deck and the snorkelling was fantastic. The pool was very nice. I got certified to dive while there and could not have been happier. The shark ray feeding is worth it. Food at the restaurant was good. THe nice part about the location was that you could walk to other restaurants down the street to eat. Also, almost every restaurant will send a car for you and take you to their restaurant. This was what we did several times. The supermarket in town sells small subs and other things, so we got those for lunch. Jeep tour was neat to see the island and we also rented a car. Very easy driving. Staff here was very attentive to us. THe entire place was clean. I saw many of the big resorts and overwater bungalows while there, and I still thought Moorea Pearl Resort was the best. Any questions on this property, please contact me, will be glad to offer more.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank webeknc
Reviewed July 3, 2009

Very nice hotel. We stayed on an overwater bungalow and it was very pretty, quite private. It's not a huge resort - quite cozy and comfortable. There are some cute local sarong/touristy shops around which are fun to visit. A lot of pearl shops as well...food isn't great but I found that to be the case in general in French Polynesia. We also went to Bora Bora and Tahiti besides Moorea and food was overpriced and tasted below average. Once nice place that you can go to for dinner close to the resort is "Te Honu Itni." The food is good, and if you go in the evening, you can also see them feeding the Rays which is pretty amazing! You can also go biking during the day which is quite nice

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank suburb123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maharepa
Manava Suite Resort Tahiti
#2 of 2 in Papetoai
Club Bali Hai Moorea Hotel
Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa
Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort

Been to Manava Beach Resort & Spa - Moorea? Share your experiences!