“Exactly what we were looking for”

Manava Beach Resort & Spa - Moorea
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Maharepa
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Moorea Pearl is a beautiful resort. The waters are perfect for a snorkeling. We enjoyed the complimentary kayaks & paddle boards. Our beach bungalow was amazing. Good size room with all the amenities yet Tahitian style. I would highly recommend the premium beach bungalows the others are tucked in the corner by the dive shop and the delivery & trash area of the resort. Be aware that you will be sharing your room with the Gecko's. It was a little unnerving at first but you get used to them. The food was good nothing to rave about.

Room Tip: Loved the Premium Beach Bungalow.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

This was a beautiful trip to celebrate our anniversary. We chose a bungalow on the beach and had kayaks right outside to explore the reef. We did a lot of snorkeling and diving with the sharks. The Motu picnic was so much fun.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank flosser201
Reviewed February 28, 2014

spent 3 nights at the Moorea Pearl Resort after a week cruise on Paul Gauguin.
My wife & I enjoyed our own (almost) private beach in front of our beach front bungalow next to the dive shop. A few snorkelers swam by from time to time, but for the most part very secluded.
The bungalow was very spacious & nice that there were no shared walls.
The bed was very comfy, some kind of memory foam, not Temperpedic, but close.
The resort staff were very friendly & helpful, except for the restaurant & bar staff, they seamed indifferent, might be that we just came off Paul Gauguin 5 star cruise.

Room Tip: you can pay the big bucks to get an over the water bungalow, but the best deal is the beach front bu...
1  Thank Jim D
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stayed here Feb 2014 and had an over water bungalow. It is a beautiful resort. The bungalow was beautiful and comfortable. Air conditioning worked great, which was needed! Great service, everyone had a smile. We enjoyed our back deck and small water platform to go snorkeling from. Did a lot of snorkeling and also took out a kayak (free). Infinity pool was beautiful also- met several nice people there.

Breakfast is very expensive and average- either get it in your package or eat elsewhere. There is a local store (go out side, turn right- 5 minutes) with everything you need- sodas, juice, breads, pastries, sandwiches, beer and liquor. We bought a lot of groceries there and usually had a pastry, yogurt, juice and coffee for breakfast. We had our own wine and beer and had our happy hour each night on our deck without paying the resort drink prices.

Also good restaurants close by- Moorea Beach Café is great! They will pick you up for free. Moz is good for lunch. I was disappointed in the Italian restaurant though and would NOT recommend it. For something local, try the small take away next to the grocery store.

Funny side- we were three couples travelling together- we all brought our own snorkel gear, thinking we didn't want to have to look for and rent equipment if we found a nice place to swim... in Hawaii our friends paid a lot to rent snorkel gear and it was a hassle to pick up and return... Well it is all free at the resort! We carried our around for 8 days in New Zealand and could have left it at home! :-)

Also- on check out, as for a "transfer room". We checked out at 11, the ferry didn't leave until 3:30- they gave us a FREE room to use until our cab at 3. It was nice to swim and be by the pool until time to shower and leave- This was a very nice amenity and I it left me with a great feeling about the resort.

Room Tip: An over water bungalow usually does not have mosquitos- also, it is a once in a life time experienc...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
9  Thank DenverTennisPlayer
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Moorea Pearl Resort & Spa was one of the resorts we stayed at during our visit to the French Polynesian Islands. My wife and I stayed in an over-water bungalow and the room itself was clean and comfortable. We had a great view of the ocean and we were able to dive right into the water from our deck. It was convenient to snorkel and swim so close to our bungalow.

The overall resort was nice and in good condition. The service was good and the staff were polite and accommodating. The food was OK but you can't expect great cuisine when you're on an island in the middle of the ocean. Everything is expensive so I recommend bringing your own snacks and booze.

Moorea was a beautiful island and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this resort. However, if I could do it all over again, I would skip this island and go straight to Bora Bora.

2  Thank Aaron Y
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I would recommend this resort to anyone intending to travel to Moorea for its character, service, location and price. That being said, everyone is different so I will only highlight the things that worked for us.

We were traveling to Tahiti and Moorea for our honeymoon. My husband has never been a huge traveler while I have been. It was important for me to get out of the United States and my dream spot was Tahiti. Thanks to others reviews on Trip Advisor, I quickly learned that I didn't want Tahiti at all. I was actually looking for a place like Moorea and it did not disappoint.

Being newly married and having paid for most of our 300 person wedding ourselves, we had to do this amazing trip on a budget so I did a lot of research into "bang for your buck" locations. This resort consistently came up on my radar. I was able to book the resort myself after a number of online chats with the SPM representatives. These people were amazing. They helped to make sure that we got the honeymoon discount and by staying at one of their resorts the first night we got into Tahiti (it was 11:00 pm anyway, no ferries) we received a further discount. Even more, I saved the expense and trouble of a travel agent. (The one travel agent I did speak with said we couldn't do Tahiti for under $10,000. She was wrong.)

The Pearl further added to the bang for your buck because of the many options they had available. During our 6 nights there we had a plan that included the large buffet breakfast each morning, which was perfect. Our first day in Moorea, we walked into town to buy a weeks worth of lunch type items which we snacked on during the day. We then had many options for dinner either at the resort or at other restaurants.

As for accommodations, the Pearl has the garden bungalows and the over water bungalows. We split our nights so that our first three were in the garden and the last three were in the over water. The resort made the room switch incredibly seamless, even moving our groceries for us. The staff was so accommodating that we were almost able to pick our exact over water bungalow. (I requested something on the far end of the right pontoon if possible. We received the second bungalow from the end.) We both felt that each bungalow had its benefits. The garden bungalows were much more private but the view from the over water bungalows was amazing. I was grateful that unlike the more expensive resorts, most of the tour boats didn't come right by our deck in the over water bungalow. The worst privacy invasion we had was the occasional kayaker.

While other reviewers found the hotel to be dated, I disagree. I found its decor to be tropical. The lobby was completely open and well-maintained as were both of the rooms where we stayed. In my opinion, if you're looking for some trendy, hip hotel go to a city, not an island.

Throughout the week, the staff was more than willing to help in any way they could and were always there with a large smile. We did have an experience with one less than pleasant/helpful staff member when we were trying to get a pizza delivered but she seemed to only be a late night worker so maybe she was just tired.

The proximity of this resort to town was one of its greatest qualities. As I said before, we were able to get groceries including drink mixers (after bringing our own alcohol duty-free), we got ice cream and wandered through town and the shops a few times and were even able to stroll around on our checkout day to buy souvenirs and take in the last few moments with our luggage just stored at the hotel. We did hear roosters relatively regularly but as this seems to be the island norm I am not sure if you avoid that by choosing a different resort. They didn't bother us anyway.

Finally, and probably the most quirky thing that my husband and I liked, the hotel had two stray cats that were pretty solid regulars. We only really saw them on the grounds very early in the morning when they were sunning themselves on the cement near the lobby. Because we had left two of our own cats at home, we loved seeing them and even coaxed one over after breakfast. I understand cats aren't for everyone and I wouldn't have considered them a nuisance if I didn't like cats. They seemed to go relatively unnoticed by most, but they did make a few spots in our honeymoon scrapbook.

In conclusion, this resort was perfect for us in meeting our needs and expectations. If you are planning a trip to Tahiti or Moorea, please just do your research. There is something and somewhere for everyone.

Room Tip: I recommend the over water bungalows on the far right of the right pontoon. The left pontoon is nea...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank JulesP623
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I'd read lots of reviews before choosing moorea pearl for my wife and I. It was a toss up between this and sofitel. It was truly great. We stayed 6 nights. We a premium overwater bungalow, 418 at the end. Definitely go for premium, these are on the edge of the reef and you can dive straight into the water. If you're not in the premiums you're on top of shallow waters. It was really windy two nights and that was a bit disconcerting to be out in the wind and waves but totally worth it.
Breakfast was included and was great. As others have said, food here is pretty expensive. Go into town to get water/beer/bread/cheese/etc. it's a 10 minute walk. For dinner go to one of the nice restaurants nearby (rudy's, moorea beach cafe). Or even to the outdoor grill place across the street. When we did stay here for lunch or dinner we'd just split an entree. That was plenty for us (which was also true of the other restaurants).
The service here is good. It's not US style where people are asking if they can help you every 5 minutes, but perhaps they could use just a bit of that. They're helpful, but serious and a bit withdrawn. But that's a minor critique of an otherwise outstanding stay.
My wife and I loved it here. All I can think of is how to get back!

Room Tip: Go for the premium over water bungalows.
5  Thank FSCVC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maharepa
Manava Suite Resort Tahiti
Hotel Kaveka
#4 of 4 in Maharepa
Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa
Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort

Been to Manava Beach Resort & Spa - Moorea? Share your experiences!