“Don't Stay Anywhere Else!”
Review of Sharm Grand Plaza

Sharm Grand Plaza
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Grantham, United Kingdom
“Don't Stay Anywhere Else!”
Reviewed August 13, 2010

We've never written a review before but the staff at MTS and Grand Plaza Resort were absolutely brilliant! Thank you all the staff an especially Mohamed Saad in the front office and Amir, our cleaner. Highlights; coral reef at end of jetty on private beach an absolute gem - the fish were stunning; the staff - first time we've felt anywhere that the staff actually cared about us; MTS Holiday Company Staff - looked after us from day one; lots of sunbeds free by the sea every day.
Lowlights: sunbeds round the pool all gone by 7:30 am!

We stayed w/c 17 July 2010 for 1 week and were left at the airport as no one else was travelling to our hotel (first trip to Egypt) and the MTS rep travelled in the final bus with us to the hotel, chatting to us about customs, what to do & not to do etc. He stayed with us until we were in the safe hands of the hotel staff who were also brilliant and we were upgraded due to the inconvenience caused by the wait at the airport. Our cases were collected at the entrance and delivered to our rooms.
Me & hubby travelled with my brother & his wife and we were given a suite of rooms, with a fantastic sea view. Everyone we spoke to had a great view of either the sea or beautifully kept gardens & no one was unhappy.
The MTS rep was fab & gave us the best advice; don't drink the water; don't try the same food everyday - browse all the counters and then decide what to have before saying the same food is on offer every mealtime; haggle with everyone; be polite and the locals will be polite back; drink at least 3 litres of water every day; use the pharmacy he recommended not the one that says 'Boots'; if you need a doctor agree the price first!
We didn't need a doctor but did use the pharmacy as we all contracted Pharoah's Revenge (diarrhoea) and the pharmacist explained it was due to the different bacteria we encountered NOT bad food or hygiene and my GP confirmed this when I got back (I didn't get it until the last day, but the others got it earlier & were ok).
The trips were reasonably priced & we didn't go elsewhere as others have recommended but were pleased with what we encountered - the star gazing trip was fab. We hired our own taxi into Sharm one evening & got the taxi driver's card. He was great & gave us a running commentary of what we saw.
I would highly recommend this hotel. We didn't like the pressure in Sharm but loved this complex with its private beach, fabulous snorkelling, no shortage of sunbeds on the beach, though round the pool was a problem. The Spa staff were a bit annoying bothering us all day but be firm and the majority will just say 'hello' as they pass you each day. We had braids put in at a great price (after haggling) and manicures & pedicures too!
Food & drink was fab, the pools exceptionally clean, linen changed every day, air conditioning great and a safe in our room. We can't rate this hotel highly enough as cases were collected on arrival and departure, stored safely until ready to leave and we were still allowed to use the restaurant and pool until we left at 3pm ( we had to vacate the room at 12 noon).
The entertainment wasn't geared towards the Brits and if you're looking for regular British food and entertainment, this isn't the hotel for you. But if you are looking to try something different, quiet, good quality and enjoy the company of other nationalities then this is probably up your street.
Go with an open mind and enjoy the experience!!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank TheMadstress
HMHG, Manager at Sharm Grand Plaza, responded to this review, August 15, 2010
Dear TheMadstress,
First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review and of course we are very pleased to be so positive.
It is at all time our top priority to try to make everyone happy and to have a great vacation.
For your Information, we do have 900 sun beds around the pools in addition to the 500 on the Beach. Those are more than maximum guests in the Resort. We surely will look into the matter and will try to discourage reserving on Beach and Pools.
It would be indeed our pleasure to welcome you back to Sharm Grand Plaza Resort sometime in the future.
A very big thank you again.
The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (715)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Barking, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2010

My boyfriend and I were looking to stay at a quite plush hotel in Sharm el Sheikh and we feel we made an excellent decision by choosing the Sharm Grand Plaza. This hotel offers everything for families and couples such as our selves. The hotel has five pools to choose from as well as a private beach. The pools by Luna bar and Nino bar play music and have activities such as water polo but I felt the Lazy pool was perfect for a couple such as ourselves as it is quite and has lovely little grass island in to middle where you can lay your towel and not get disturbed by noise; the bar isn't far away to get your all inclusive drinks.
The pools are the cleanest I have ever seen and the hotel gives you fresh beach towels each day so do not pack any towels as all the towels you will need are provided.
Our room was excellent we had free air conditioning, a safe, a TV, fresh towels everyday and a bottle of water is put in your room daily. Our cleaner was Mohammed Rock he was a very nice, polite and very hardworking who made our stay pleasant. I felt he went above and beyond expectations he would fold your night clothes and he even set my costume jewellery out neatly on a napkin!
The reception bar is not included in the all inclusive but the drinks are very reasonable we enjoyed a variety of cocktails most nights and the all of the staff were very polite and kept giving us crisp for free one in particular made us laugh by practising his cockney accent and saying "Lovely Jubbly".
The all inclusive buffets always aim to please each night has a different theme and for those that may not like to the food that particular night chips and the Italian corner is always on offer. Desserts are of a wide variety which includes fruit and drinks are served in the bar you can choose from wine, beer, local spirits, juice and fizzy drinks.
Overall I feel that the staff in this hotel work round the clock to make your stay pleasant and relaxing. I feel with the Egyptians manners mean a lot the staff at this hotel work long hours and I feel some of the guests are quite rude. Always say you’re please and thank you's and they will always add to your happiness. Upon arrival you are made to feel welcome the staff has said to us on many occasions "Thank you choosing my country and thank you for choosing Sharm Grand Plaza".

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Lodz, Poland
Reviewed August 13, 2010

We had a really pleasant stay in Grand Plaza Resort, enjoyed the facilities and service the place offers. We liked the variety of cuisine in the two restaurants and the admired the efficiency of the restaurant (especially Riviera) staff. The animation team added a lot of positive effect to our holidays. It's really nice to be able to begin the day with stretching on the beach followed with volleyball and gym in the pool. There was always a lot of positive and funny competition among the waterpolo players in the afternoon, it was fun to take part and watch. The animators put a lot of effort to make the hotel guests stay in good mood all day long. Their evening shows were always well prepared and performed with lots of talent and dedication. I highly recommend Grand Plaza Resort for all those who want to have fun, fun, fun.

• Stayed July 2010
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I’ve never been bothered to comment on a holiday sight before but on return from our stay at the Grand Plaza and reading some of the comments made I feel compelled to say something.
Firstly let me give some advise to all the wingers and moaners who delight in regaling the “nightmare” stories of their travels, and are clearly unable to cope with even the slightest of challenges or changes that foreign travel brings…. don’t put yourself through it and STAY AT HOME!!!! The only downside of this is that the rest of us reasonable, enlightened travellers will be unable to roll around laughing at the ridiculousness of your expectations!!!! For example if you’re disappointed by the standard of the all inclusive FREE wine in Egypt, wake up….what were you expecting? Château Mouton Rothschild?.... What do you think Sprite was invented for? If you didn’t like the choice of the twenty odd dishes served at each sitting of this “Egyptian” hotels buffet and would prefer a Full English (Inc fried bread and Black Pudding of course) then save yourself the expense and book yourself into a Blackpool B&B and spend the week filling your face with fish and chips…. don’t forget the mushy peas!!!
My point being, why waste your hard earned cash looking for things to go wrong and wallowing in the disappointment that foreign hotels don’t do things the same as good old Blighty….the reality of life is that you get what you pay for and expecting something better than the Grand Plaza for the money you have paid is extremely naïve. If you expect, and by the sounds of some of the comments on here demand the very best, then save a little harder, only go for a week, and book the Savoy. I hear it is very similar to the one in London so it’s probably exactly what you’re looking for?
Even more surprisingly it seems from some of the responses from the Hotel Management to negative comments made by guests that nothing was said at the time of the issue. This being the case how can the hotel be expected to put things right if they don’t know about it! Maybe I’m a little cynical but might it be the case that if small problems are not resolved at the time its open house to blow them out of proportion and complain about it when people get home and thus expect some “compo” from the hotel or their insurance? (Surely not!)
I could go on, but I would rather focus on the positives of my experiences than wallow in the disappointment of finding that the National beer of Egypt isn’t Carling Black Label which is I appreciate enough to ruin any holiday (although some contributors have been good enough to detail the directions to the nearest British Pub…..Why? you’ve just come from a country full of em!)
So what about the Grand Plaza, the reality is that the reception and room planning lacks organisation, on arrival we had to wait from 12.30am to 5.00am to get a room as the hotel was over booked, so the kids had to sleep on the sofas in reception, but the reception staff did the best they could to make up for the delay and provided food and drinks for us while we waited. When you’re tired and just want to go to bed it’s not a great start but it’s an inconvenience not a National disaster! After three days we were moved to a family room as the initial room we were put in was a standard and we had booked a family room so both the children had separate beds. This took about an hour and was no real hassle (the bell boys did all the work) and the room we moved to was exactly as described on their website, a lovely room with lots of space, a great balcony to relax on, Air Con and multi channel TV etc etc – Brilliant !
As we had not gotten off to a great start the reception staff were regularly checking that we were happy with everything and in particular Adel Moustafa the Reception Manager constantly went out of his way to ensure our stay was a comfortable as possible, his Customer Service skills were excellent!
If we’re looking for things they could do better then the evening entertainment is a little ropey (never lacking in effort or enthusiasm) it’s a bit stale and outdated but it’s a laugh and if I had wanted top class entertainment I would of gone to Las Vegas. What I will say is that the entertainment (Animation) team work their socks off all day and create a great atmosphere around the pool without ever being pushy – great effort!! In addition I must have looked totally stressed out as I relaxed on my sun bed as a parade of bronzed white suited health experts felt the need to ask me if I wanted a Massage, Pedicure, Manicure etc etc but a polite no thanks was never ignored and after a few days it was fun to have a bit of banter with them.
Everything else about the hotel is excellent, it’s beautifully maintained, the variety and quality of food is good (remember it’s not the Ritz) the rooms are great but most of all the staff are so accommodating. The daytime snack bars and their staff are excellent, there is a great private beach and with a selection of pools to swim or sunbathe, it’s just about right. Night-time swimming is not discouraged in the summer months which is very refreshing!
It’s my view that if you are decent to people they are generally decent to you, and that’s exactly what we found in particular the beach attendant that looked after us (Ahmed) was excellent and the guys in the restaurant (special mention to Mamood – Zidane ! (In Palmeria Restaurant) always looked after us superbly (this is without tipping, as we only tipped on the last day) and I can’t remember the last time I said that about a UK hotel!
So to summarise, if you don’t like change and think everything should be the same as back home don’t go abroad (don’t worry I’m not going back into my naive traveller rant) but if you want to experience a great value for money holiday in a beautiful hotel where the food is good and the staff are really friendly you could do much worse than the Grand Plaza.
In the mean time, I’ve had my Full English this morning and tonight I’m off to the pub for an extra cold Carling and a Kebab and Chips on the way home, cause that’s what we do when we are NOT on holiday!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
7 Thank GerryandAli
HMHG, Manager at Sharm Grand Plaza, responded to this review, August 13, 2010
Dear GerryandAli
Thank you very much for your very positive review. We truly appreciate that your stay had been in general very good. At the same time we would like to apologize again for not being able to provide the room on arrival on time. Please be assured, this is not a regular case.
By the way we are one of the very few hotels in Sharm El Sheikh who serve Italian wine for the All inclusive, of course it is table wine and not as you rightly say Château Mouton Rothschild but defiantly much better than the local wine.
We are looking daily into improvements and take the comments from our guests very seriously.
Once again, we appreciate your review and we would be delighted to welcome you back to Sharm Grand Plaza Resort.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Having read reviews we were a little weary of staying at the hotel. Our worries were unnecessary. We arrived late on but reception were quick in checking us in to our rooms, our cases were taken to our rooms while we started our holidays at the 24hr bar. At this bar you have to pay for drinks as the all inc. finishes at 11 but the prices are reasonable £3.00 for a 500ml Sakara beer which is very nice. The hotel is perfect, i can not say one bad thing about it. You have the same housekeeper everyday through out your holiday, we had Amir, lovely lad. Linen and towels were changed everyday, room was cleaned to a high standard. Amir made animals out of towels everyday, and i know sounds silly but we looked forward to coming from the pool to see what he had done, the things he can do with a towel is amazing. There was a fridge in the room which was good, a fresh bottle of water was put in the room everyday and the free air-conditioning was a must to have on as it was in the 40s. The food was excellent, a great choice to say they are cooking for a large amont of people. Make sure to check out all the pans as the room is quite big and the selections in them are different. The chefs who serve the food on the counter are very courteous and polite despite some people (russians, italians & polish) being very rude, no please or thank yous. Pools are very clean and well kept. We stayed at the Luna Bar through out the holiday. Sam the bar man and the staff, Fabulous. They made our holiday, fetching us drinks and their light hearted banter, very funny. These boys work very hard all day and deserve more credit than they get from certain guests (yes again the russians, italians & polish), no manners. Pool side and the beach is lovely, clean with loads of sunbeds and umberellas. A must is to go snorkelling off the hotels jetty. Mustafa the lifeguard, brilliant, another credit to the hotel. The banter from this lad is excellent, look out for him he always wears a red baseball cap. A good point to this hotel is that every late afternoon they spray around the gardens, which again are immaculate, with mosquito spray, we never got bit once. If i must say something negative about the hotel it would be the entertainment. It is all catered for the Italians and there is no music around the Luna Bar. The toilets around the pools could be a little better, though very clean and no puddles around the toilets, which is my pet hate when you have flip flops on, there is a lack of toilet rolls. On one occasion i got caught short, due to sun stroke may i add not the food, and there was no roll.
Tips: Take some slip on pumps. The sea in some parts is full of coral which is uncomfortable to walk on if you dont have these shoes. Make sure you carry some tissues around with you if you go out of the hotel. The water in the coolers next to the bar is drinkable. If going to the Pyramids we recommend going with Sharm Club which is pre bookable by internet before you get to Sharm el Sheik. We paid a small deposit then paid in full when we arrived at the resort. Bargain, £145 for the best day ever, an excellent guide, Sherrif who made the trip memorable with his wide knowledge of ancient Egypt. Keep small notes such as 20 Egyptian pound for tips (£2.50 in English) The staff do not expect you to tip but when you see how much they try to make your holiday enjoyable you cant help but want to show them your gratitude.
Overall i have to say our first trip to Egypt was wonderful. It was made even more special by the fact that we stayed at Sharm Grand Plaza. We came with another couple Andy and Michelle and as you can also see from their reviews our feelings for the hotel are mutual. We are all thinking about coming back to the hotel at Xmas if we can find a good deal. .......LOVED IT xxxx

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jojo-guy-donny
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2010

We were a bit warey at first about egypt, but from the minute we arrived it was just fantastic,, the staff were the best ever , so kind , attentive and always made you feel very special,, we wanted for nothing and if we did it was there within mins,, sam was a treasure, our drinks were always there, glasses full, what more could you want, all the waiters were good, but sam was our favourite!!! we tipped well on first few days , but found we still tipped most of the hol , as they deserved it,, but they didnt expect it i must say ,, they are fantastic people, the hotel was clean, rooms cleaned every day , clean towels, sheets, pool was cleaned every day,, all in all it was very well kept and looked after, the gardens were beautiful , always someone working on them , the food was fine, many complained,, but it was fresh, good variety and also presented well, service in the restaurants was also great, they looked after us like we were v.i.ps!!! all i can say is that if people want roast dinners and fish n chips, go to blackpool,, we had a gr8 hol and cant wait to return xx

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dunmovin1
HMHG, Manager at Sharm Grand Plaza, responded to this review, August 12, 2010
Dear Dunmovin1
It has been a pleasure reading your review and we are indeed very pleased about it. For your Information, the review is printed out and posted on our staff notice board for all to see. Also special mentioned employees are part of the selection process for the employee of the month and we all definitely appreciate it.
We are indeed looking forward to hopefully welcome you again to Sharm Grand Plaza Resort.
A big thank you from all of us!
Devon UK
Reviewed August 7, 2010

Just got back from this hotel and first of all must warn everyone the temperature this time of the year is very hot 45 plus most days makes you very tired and lethargic!!
When you arrive at the airport do not go to the desks on the left unless you want a visa to travel to say Cairo or luxor if you intend staying local do not waste your money on one. Just walk straight ahead to the passport control.

When we arrived at the hotel the assistant manager met us and explained the hotel was full and overbooked and we needed to go to another hotel for one night. This was not a problem however as the days went by we discovered this was common practice and many people had to spend the first night in the lower star Park Inn hotel which is not so good especially if you only have one week. We had wine fruit and soft drinks to compensate but you loose a day of your holiday.

The hotel itself is lovely very spacious and very clean. There are 5 pools and many different places to sit either round the pools or on the beach.
The rooms are very nice large comfortable beds fridge and tv with lots of channels Fox movies is a great channel for films.
The grounds are beautiful wonderful plants and trees and the workers are constantly there watering and tending the plants.

There are two main restaurants however all the a la carte restaurants were closed which was unpopular with most guests. The food is ok breakfast fine with nice omelettes and pancakes, lunch and dinner pretty much the same with asian night being the best the duck was wonderful. However we were all ill and poorly tums quite quickly and even the strongest Imodium was useless. We put it down to the heat and different climate although towards the end of the holiday we needed tasty food and as soon as we started eating at the Tgi Friday we were all better again. Everyone we spoke to was ill and some spent several days in their rooms.

The drinks were the usual and the beer Sakara was not bad at all. The all inclusive finished at 2300 but to be honest with the sun we were in bed way before then.
We travelled with our 15 year old daughter and she got fed up with the remarks and waves and giggling from the all male staff as there are no females working at all. In the restaurant she sat with her back to the drinks corner so they could not keep making signs at her!!

The people from the spa regularly prowl the pool areas and keep on and on and on about having a massage/ pedicure/ manicure and it just got stupid in the end my husband just said " no business just friends" and it seemed to do the trick but this is very unwelcome when you just want to relax around the pool.

We went on a couple of trips I can highly recommend. The first was the Bedouin village. We drove out into the desert and had a camel ride then we went to the Bedouin camp and had the local bread cooked for us. We climbed the nearby hill and watched the sun setting over the mountains. This was followed by a lovely meal sheesha and dancing round the camp fire. We then went further into the desert and watched the stars, we saw Jupiter Vega and Saturn through the powerful telescopes and was totally amazing.
Also we went on the submarine which enables you to watch the lovely fish up close and in their own world breathtaking.

Every night there is a free shuttle bus to Soho square which is about 10 mins away. Lovely bars, ice rink, Ice bar (where everything even the glasses are ice) shops restaurants well worth a visit.
The local shops near the hotel are not too bad just need to say a polite but definate no thank you.
Taxi from the hotel to TGI / Mcdonalds / KFC etc is 20 egy pounds although they will try to get you to pay more. NEVER get in a taxi without settling on the price first!!

The best thing about Egypt is the fish and the coral reef. On the beach just to the left is a sort of rock pool. You can go in here with a mask and see all sorts of fish. We found that if you go about 0700 you will be the only ones and without the water being disturbed can see the fish really well. Take a couple of bread rolls from the restaurant and feed them to the fish they love them and the little yellow and black ones come up to you and seem to be kissing you - think they are eating the dead skin!!
But best of all choose a flat sea and go out on the pier to the end and take a mask then see the amazing coral reef wall and hundreds of beautiful fish something you will never forget!!

If you want a henna tattoo do not use the one in the hotel he will charge 160 egy pounds for one on your foot but if you walk to the right past the next hotel there are a couple of men who have a little place on the beach. He charged 90 egy pounds for the same tattoo and will refresh for free he even gave me a free one on my hand and such a nice man!!

The hotel was cleaned all the time and rooms cleaned every day no towel art though and in fact several days no towels so had to call down to reception before showering!!
There are towels available for pool / beach use and can be swopped for towel cards. However keep an eye on them the Russians will grab them without thinking twice. The Russians generally were loud, rude and aggressive. They hate queueing and have no manners grunting and pointing rather than asking. They also drank a lot so seemed to monopolise the bars!!

The other thing missing is wi-fi - this should be free in the rooms but this was not the case

All in all would go back to Egypt but not in July maybe March or October time however would not go back to this hotel.
The manager explained all the a la carte restaurants were closed as they were bring refurbished and they were building an english bar but why close them all at the same time, no good for people staying in the hotel at this time.
Also the food needs to be sorted.
The main objective of most of the Egyptians is to get as much money out of you as possible!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
HMHG, Manager at Sharm Grand Plaza, responded to this review, August 9, 2010
Dear Guest,
It was indeed an honor that you choose Sharm Grand Plaza Resort for your Holidays. Also, we would like to thank you for your constructive review and surely will look into our short-comings.
Please let us comment on some points:
Yes it is correct that we had an over-booking problem but surely it is not a common regular practice at our Resort.
Of the 3 a la carte Restaurants, one was closed, the Star Fish restaurant. Falafal, Oriental restaurant and Portofino Italian restaurant is and had been available. Whereby, Portofino closed in June for 10 days and at that time the Star Fish restaurant had been open.
The Grill House open air restaurant is open for Lunch in the cooler month and we open in summer the air-conditioned Palmera restaurant instead, which is normally closed for Lunch.
We are surely very concerned when we hear or read as in this case of stomach problems; please be assured that we are checking on daily basis and even have regular external inspections to ensure all hygiene principles are followed. The main reason for stomach illnesses are the extreme summer heat combined with cold drinks and being too much exposed to the strong sun rays.
With all due respect, your comment on feeding the fishes should not be followed as we are located at the “Nabq Marine National Park” and it is not permitted.
We do hope we have clarified some of the points and we do hope that you will return again to Sharm Grand Plaza Resort.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nabq Bay
Radisson Blu Resort, Sharm El Sheikh
Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
#7 of 234 in Sharm El Sheikh

Been to Sharm Grand Plaza? Share your experiences!