“Excellent value for money”
Review of Sharm Grand Plaza

Sharm Grand Plaza
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Nabq Bay
northants
“Excellent value for money”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Just home from a weeks stay and I would definitely recommend this hotel.The rooms were large with 2 double beds and very clean. The complex was clean and well maintained. No shortage of sun beds. Poolside activities every day. We tried the spa and enjoyed having the full experience. The restaurant offered a very varied selection -so had no trouble finding something to eat. The staff were 1st class very polite and helpful especially Ibrahim, Raed & Amirar in the dining room, not forgetting Mohammed. Our towel guy and the young man (whose name I've forgotten) cleaning our room.
This was my mum's first time to Egypt and she was very impressed with the hotel and it's excellent service.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor garden room. Fantastic.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank NorthantsToni
Dear NorthantsToni

We would like to thank you for taking time to comment on your stay at Sharm Grand Plaza Resort. We appreciate your valuable time for leaving your comments.
We will be glad to welcome you always at Sharm Grand Plaza Resort and we will do our best always to exceed your expectations always.
Our contact email for any future references: info@sharmgrandplaza.net

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (715)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I went here from the other day of march till when I come back a couple of weeks after that.
I took my wife but despite that I still enjoyed my time here.
We travelled with Thomson who are as luxurious as Ryan Air, National Express and Mega Bus these days, so i wouldn't bother paying extra to go with them.
After a very short transfer we were greeted at the hotel,we were greeted by a man and his pet airport scanner. I dont know why they have an airport scanner but it looks lovely. I bet they put tinsel on it at Christmas.
We checked in, and were shown to our room which was third on the left just past some drunken Russians. It contained a bed, a bathroom, a chair, a small table, a desk and another chair. Neither of the chairs were rickety which can be a problem in certain other hotels. The toilet was present and the sea was in the vicinity which was what we asked for.
Meals were good because they offered things I like. Wine was only available in the evenings but the waiter/ manservant/slave made sure my glass was rarely empty. Smashing bloke he was.
I must also say HI to the animacion team who were brilliant! The girls were gorgeous and there was one chap in particular who was great fun, but to be honest I can't remember his name.

For drinkipoos in the evening we ventured to the British-only NUTS bar where foreigners are forced to look through the windows in envy. Racism is alive and well here. Marvellous.
Be warned, that although the hotel has 52 pools, it is difficult to get a bed near them. The lazy river is a bit of a waste of space as there are no beds nearby and nobody uses it anyway(apart from Russian women having their photos taken whilst touching their toes).

Luckily, being on the sea front, there were always beds available on the beach. I have to say though- the sand was crap. A bit like sharp sand with gravel in it. It hurt my wifes tootsies. Good old sand.
Be careful if you snorkel, as the current is very strong and can drag you out to sea. I tried to make my wife snorkel but she wouldn't.
If you venture outside the hotel, within half an hours walk there are approximately 5 bars that advertise themselves as British. Of course, as you might expect when you're abroad, you have to take the words 'British-owned' with a pinch of salt and Egypt is no exception as we found at least one pub to be run by Scottish people.
Dont go to Naama bay unless you want to be asked if you want a taxi every 3 seconds. And thats if you get time to answer after being asked if you want to go to my restaurant/bar/shop/brothers shop every.0.000000677 seconds.

Also be wary of the camels parading the beaches/streets. I glanced at one unwittingly, only to be informed by its owner that Egyptian law meant that if you look at it, YOU HAVE TO BUY IT!! Well, I only had limited room in my suitcase but after ten minutes bartering we had agreed a price and the deal only fell through when I noticed at the last minute, a bit of rust under its saddle that meant it was obviously two camels welded together.
The next day, I saw the same man looking at my wife and I hatched a plan... I told him it was English law that if he looks, HE HAS TO BUY!!
We agreed a price of 8 pounds fifty but my scheme was ruined when he spotted my wife had no VIN tag and was actually a ringer running on false plates.

To sum up, I like this hotel, and I like the room and the food, the resort was lovely, it was good value for money and the people was friendly.
Apart from Naama Bay which was horrible.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
22 Thank Harry_R_Soles
Dear Harry_R_Soles

We would like to thank you for choosing the hotel for your last stay in Sharm El Sheikh. It is a great pleasure for our side to know that hotel facilities, services, and staff manners could meet your expectations and could make a memorable stay for you.
We will be more than glad to welcome you again in the hotel and will do our best always to exceed your expectations. Kindly do not hesitate to contact us for any further enquiry or future requests: info@sharmgrandplaza.net

Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Just returned from our second visit to this hotel and as allways it was absolutely fantastic .From the moment we arrived to the the time we left everyone in the hotel went out of there way to make it a great holidayThe only thing that appeared to have changed this year was the food and beverages quality which appear to have gone down , but having said that we still could allways find something to eat and drink.I would like to say a special thank you to Hoosam,Emad ,and Eid at the Luna pool bar who made sure we got everything we wanted,also Ibrahim in the Riveria Resteraunt who waited on us hand and foot.Ishmail,Momen and mahir around the luna pool who were very friendly and welcoming.and last but by no means least the animation team ,Dali,Al Pacino and Luca who worked tirelessly to make our days fun filled,But a special thank you must go to Ryan and lucy who were absolutely amazing and made our holiday even better.We will be back again next year if not sooner.

Room Tip: As far as i could see all rooms were a great size a standard room has 2 queen size beds in and a fam...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear john i

We are pleased to read your review and experience in Sharm Grand Plaza Resort. We much appreciate your time for posting your comments and sharing your experience here.
We are pleased also to know that hotel facilities and staff manners could meet your expectations.
we will be looking forward to welcoming you at the hotel and will do our best to exceed your expectations always.

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I went here in August 2012, my boyfriend and I had such high hopes for Sharm El Sheikh and for this hotel but it was a disappointment almost from the start.

We arrived fairly late on, it was dark and the evening's entertainment had begun. We checked in and had to navigate our way to our room, the hotel is more like a complex and we struggled to find our way. After about 20 minutes in sweltering heat we stumbled up two flights of stairs (no lifts) with heavy suitcases. When we reached our room it was neither here not there, but it did have good views of the pools and sea I must say. We had paid extra for a Deluxe Sea View room and it certainly was a lovely view. Unfortunately as we stepped out onto the balcony we were right next to what I imagine are solar panels of some description and air-con vents? Who knows, they weren't noisy from what I remember but just took the shine out of our view (a bit picky).

The main pitfall for me was the food; we both had horrendous stomach bugs during and after the holiday. We were popping rennies and immodium like there was no tomorrow. We even ventured out to a paragliding thing but were more terrified of having an accident down below than the height!!!
Every lunch time we just wandered to the buffet restaurant next to the lazy river, my boyfriend would have his board shorts and a t shirt on and I would wear my bikini with a kaftan to cover me up and shorts. Every day bar one this was fine, then mid way through our week long stay some rude man shunned me away because he felt I was being too revealing. For me, this was handled extremely rudely, very publically and was very embarrassing as I have Egyptian heritage and am all too aware of the requirements. And to be honest this should have been more lax given that it's a tourist complex, not to mention filled with other europeans/russians being even flashier!
It got to the point where we only drank bottled water that we bought ourselves from the shops in front of the hotel and stuck to bread at meal times, I think we lost quite a few pounds that holiday. Unfortunately for us we would never contemplate returning due to the rude waiter/seating staff and the lack of care and hygiene when preparing the food and drinks.

The only positive point about this holiday was jumping off the end of the pier at the foot of the beach and snorkelling, we saw so many beautiful fish and a turtle which was great. However you can do this at another hotel. Do not stay here if you want your intestines to like you and if you aren't prepared to talk 'poo' with your partner. We crossed all kinds of relationship lines that week!!! My GP had to give me antibiotics that I quote, "would try to kill everything in my stomach".

Room Tip: Do not stay here unless you want the runs.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Katie S

Thank you for choosing the hotel for your last year’s stay in Sharm El Sheikh and your time conveying your stay comments. We regret that during your stay you did not mention any of your grievances to any of our staff, management, reception, or to guest customer relation staff who are making courtesy calls to our guest , to ensure that they have a pleasant stay and to send message to contact us if no phone contact was made.
We provide a hotel map upon arrival for our guest showing all hotel directions and we have bell man staff for delivering the luggage unless our guest likes to explore the hotel by themselves. We regret that you did not enjoy out main buffet at the Palmera or Riviera restaurant with changeable theme buffet menus and twice daily snacks by the pool side. There is a hotel doctor resident in the hotel and also a pharmacy and he did not report us of your case which mean you did not use that facility. We provide one bottle of water to each room on daily basis plus water available in bars and restaurants all the time.
Kindly do understand that we are not able to investigate into detail your review as it is being posted 10 month after the visit.
Last and not least we will be glad in case you give Sharm Grand Plaza a second chance and we will do our best to make sure that you leave happy
Our contact email is : info@sharmgrandplaza.net
Reviewed April 27, 2013

From start to finish a thoroughly enjoyable holiday. I'll take you through some of the ups and downs.

Firstly when you land at Sharm airport you'll be ushered in to a queue for an 'Entry Visa' - these are not necessarily needed. If you intend to travel outside of Sharm i.e. to Cairo or to the Ras Mohammed National Park by bus then you will need one at an approximate cost of £13 per person. If you are not going to be going to either of these places then do not be fooled. You do NOT need one!

It's best to book transfers from the airport to your hotel well in advance. The local taxis (white and blue in colour) are a bit of a law unto themselves and will charge whatever they want. We got stung for £35 for an 8 minute taxi ride. Lesson learnt. I'll be booking transfers when I go back.

Once at the hotel it really did have everything. On site tennis, football and volleyball courts. Four swimming pools and its right on the beach!! There are a choice of several restaurants to eat at during your stay all within the hotel complex and the food, generally speaking, was of good standard. One evening they had a fish menu, my partner doesn't eat fish and at the slightest mention if there was anything else available they provided her with an alternative without any hesitation.

There is what is called an 'Animation Team' these guys, and girls, organise events throughout the day from Aqua Gym, Water Polo, Darts, Football etc. The list goes on. All of the team are very friendly and will quite happily sit and have a chat if you want them to. During the evenings they then put on shows as well ranging from a show involving broken glass, swords and fire to a best couple competition and the more common karaoke.

Whilst at the hotel you are given a wrist band which is based on your nationality. The hotel will say that it is so their staff know which language to speak to you in but it is, in my opinion, so that they can identify if you're British. If you are you'll get preferential treatment in the restaurants, at the bars and by the poolside. Tips are not expected by staff but they do go out of their way for you so don't be shy!
The general rule is Silver Bands for Brits, Red for Russians, Yellow for Polish and Blue for Italian. These are the main nationalities you'll find at the hotel but there are obviously others and if you as a Brit were to book with a Polish travel operator then you'll end up with a Yellow Band.

There is also an on site SPA and this brings me on to my next point, you will have people approach you whilst round the pools or on the beach trying to sell a variety of things from newspapers and costume jewellery to massages and excursions. If you don't want to speak to them then don't make eye contact. If you do you will lose half an hour of your day easily.

We went on a few excursions etc all of which I highly recommend. Firstly we had an Egyptian massage at the on site SPA. We managed to haggle a little on the price and when we turned up we also got a jacuzzi, steam room and sauna thrown in for free with the massage. Well worth a visit at the start of your holiday to help relax you and get you in the holiday mood.

We then decided to go on an early morning quad bike trip. We booked this through Chico from Sokar Safari who have an office near to the beach within the hotel complex. This trip entailed getting up very early, 4am for a 4:30am collection before taking a short bus ride to the quad biking centre. Once on the quads and with our head scarves on you'll set off in to the Sinai Desert before stopping to watch the sun rise. You'll then continue on to a Bedoin Camp where you'll get to have a Bedoin cup of tea and have a short ride on a camel before heading back. You'll be back at the hotel by 7:30am so if you want to go back to bed you can! We were the only people that opted for the early trip and it was far more romantic just the two of us (albeit with a guide) although they do run the quad biking trips at various times of the day. This trip is well worth while and Chico couldn't be more helpful if he tried.

I won't bore you with details of the other excursions but the snorkelling boat trip was very very good. We also went to Naama Bay, which was an experience and although not as bad as I thought it would be you have to be fairly thick skinned and able to say 'NO' when being hassled for your hard earned cash.

All in all a very enjoyable holiday and I look forward to going back again in the future. Ryan, Al Pacino, Luca, Chico and a few others really made it a fun, welcoming and relaxed holiday.

JB & Lisa, Herts, England

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank JB_Lisa
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed here from 18th April till the 25th of April with my girlfriend. The hotel looks amazing the sourounding gardens are kept really nice and all the staff are really friendly from the waiting staff to the gardners to the clearners.

The food is ok, its nothing special but with so many nationalitys at this hotel they try there best to cover everyone. it was always warm and they have a pasta chef on that will cook the pasta how you like it with vegatables etc of your choice.

We stayed in Coral block which was situated in and ideal area near the nino bar and the resteraunt area. we had a 2nd floor room which had a nice big balcony and a nice view and could also see the sea in the distance,

There are a few pool areas with Nino been the quitest of the two and the Luna bar usually the busier with loud music most of the day etc.

The Union Jack Bar over the road was excellent couldnt fault it real english food and great service 100% worth a visit.

Overall great hotel would reccomend and hopefully will visit again sometime soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ste1989
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Just arrived home from our second visit to this hotel, nothing at all to complain about staff always very helpful, room clean, pool clean, Pool boy Momen Mohammed very helpful saved our beds every day for us!
Food wasnt the best but don't expect anything amazing from all inclusive holidays anyway and there is also many places outside of the hotel to go which are very cheap!! would recommend the union jack bar opposite for food and friendly atmosphere!
Will defiantly go back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jess P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nabq Bay
Regency Plaza Aqua Park & Spa Resort
Regency Plaza Aqua Park & Spa Re...
#95 of 230 in Sharm El Sheikh
Radisson Blu Resort, Sharm El Sheikh
Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
#6 of 230 in Sharm El Sheikh

Been to Sharm Grand Plaza? Share your experiences!