“Good hotel overall, appauling customer service from management.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sharm Grand Plaza

Sharm Grand Plaza
Ranked #19 of 32 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good hotel overall, appauling customer service from management.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2011

We stayed at this hotel at the end of April. We booked a 5* luxury hotel, or so we thought. The hotel is nice, but it's not luxury nor does it deserve a 5* rating.

Our flight was delayed by six hours, so we arrived at the hotel at about quarter to ten, very tired and very very hungry. We spoke to the staff on the front desk, who said that a late lunch would be served in the dining hall at 11.30pm. We had a shower and changed, then went back down just before 11.30 to ask where the dining hall was. No one seemed to know which hall the food would be served in, and we were told to "have a walk around and look, food would be served any minute so we would be able to see where to go." I wasn't too impressed with that, but we had a wander round. Everywhere was closed. We asked a few members of staff we came across as we were walking around the hotel grounds, about where food was served, and they were very dismissive, telling us they didn't know and we should ask at the front desk. We went back to the desk, to be told that dinner finished at 10pm, and that if we had wanted a late lunch we should have booked one. The member of staff on the desk was so rude to us. I explained that we had arrived with time to go and eat at the allotted time, but had been told to wait until 11.30, by three seperate members of staff on the desk. We were told, "You can eat, but you must pay." I was very angry, we had booked all-inclusive but we were expected to pay for our food because staff had made a mistake. We ordered some food and charged it to our room, I told the member of staff on the desk that I wanted to speak to a manager, he told me that the manager was busy and didn't have time, so we had to wait until the morning.

The food we ordered to the room was lovely, hot dog and a grilled chicken sandwich. The price was very reasonable, but it wasn't really the point...

In the morning we asked to speak to the manager again - and got the same response. He was busy. My husband said we would not leave the desk until a manager came, the member of staff disappeared and magically came back with the manager. He wasn't interested in talking to us at all, and simply said there was nothing he could do. Very dismissive and unhelpful.

We spoke to our rep, who spoke to the manager for us, and we were given a free late checkout for our inconvenience. Thank goodness for the rep - at least someone was being helpful! The manager didn't bother to come and apologise for the way we had been treated by his staff, although the rep did apologise on his behalf.

We booked a late lunch one night as we had booked an excursion that day. We were told our food would be brought to our room at 11.30pm. At 11.40pm we called reception and asked where it was, we were rather abruptly told to come downstairs to the dining room for it. My husband went downstairs, the dining room was closed. He went to the front desk, and they said they had forgotten to book our late dinner for us!! The manager gave him a breakfast box (three stale pastries, a box of pineapple juice, a banana and an apple). He did manage to apologise for the confusion this time.

We had been given a free late checkout on our last day, due to check out at 5pm. However, at 4pm someone came to our door asking us to leave the room. We explained we had a late checkout and he left. At ten past four, someone rang to ask us to leave, we explained again and he said our checkout was at four. My husband said we had arranged it with the manager to be 5pm, and we would not be leaving the room until 5pm. At quarter past four (just five minutes after!), we got another call asking if our bags were ready to collect. My husband explained again, and asked that we were not contacted again until 5pm. It happened again at half past four, twenty to five and at ten to five! Absolutely laughable... Very disorganised, with incredibly appauling service.

On one of the evenings, I accidently closed our patio door and locked myself and my husband out of our room. (Oops! Be careful, you can't open the doors from the inside!) We alerted a member of staff, who was walking past. He said he would come back with someone. Half an hour passed and no one had come back, so we called down to another member of staff, waited about 15 minutes, still no one. Then we saw a chef who was on his break smoking a cigarette below our balcony, and told him we had been waiting for 45 minutes, had told two people, and please could he get someone to let us back in. He went to get someone and came back immediately, with a manager and a security man. The security man who came to let us back in asked how long we had been waiting, I told him it had been almost an hour, and he apologised profusely and said someone should have come sooner. Which made me think that they had perhaps been aware but no one could be bothered to call security about it. Locking ourselves out was a bit stupid, but the staff didn't seem too bothered about it! Luckily we didn't have any children with us, I would have been beside myself if they had been in the room with us locked out. The manager did not speak to us at all, only the security man.

The hotel itself is quite pretty. Simple, but pretty. The rooms are spacious, although the views are not as spectacular as we were led to believe. The standard of cleaning is impeccable. Our rooms were cleaned every day without fail, including clean towels. The beds were made every day. We were extremely happy with how clean our room was kept. everything was.

However in the pool bar, hygiene left a lot to be desired for! We repeatedly saw birds landing on burger and cake tongs outside by the pool bar, the staff just picked up the tongs to move the birds and carried on cooking. Didn't wipe them down or anything! Cups were repeatedly rinsed under the sink tap and given back out to other people. They did put up a notice saying that guests had complained about this, and it was just a pre-rinse before the dishwasher, but myself and other guests saw the cups and plastic glasses being rinsed and handed right back out - no dishwasher in sight. We ate there once and the burger and chips were ok, but after seeing all those birds collecting on the cooking things, I couldn't stomach it again.

The food in the restaurants was varied and plentiful. It wasn't amazing taste-wise, but it was pleasant enough. I found the huge queues for food at the evening meal a pain in the neck though! We were not allowed to sit where we wanted to, despite other tables being free staff insisted that we sat where instructed. The wine was watered down, but the beer was lovely and kept very cold.

The beach is man made, with very rough sand. I tried to have a paddle but had someone from the hotel screech a whistle at me and tell me I wasn't allowed. He wouldn't tell me why, just walked away! My husband went snorkelling off the jetty by the hotel, he said there were quite a lot of fish to see there. There are plenty of sun loungers, with pretty little wicker-type parasols and small tables. When the red flag is flying on the jetty, it means it isn't safe to snorkel, the yellow means be cautious. When I red flag was up, I asked the member of staff supervising the jetty what the red flag meant, he told me what it meant no swimming was allowed. But there were at least 5 people snorkelling right next to him! Very confusing... Pool towels are available, but you are only allowed one per day. My husband spilt his drink on his, and the towel person refused to give him another one!

Overall, a nice hotel, good food as far as all inclusive goes. If you want a reasonably priced middle range holiday, then it does the job. Beware of it being marketed as luxury or a five star (as equivalent to in the UK), as it is definately not. Our holiday was six nights and cost just over £1000, which was an extortionate amount for what we got. Had I have paid £400/500 then I would probably have been happier. I was very disappointed with the standard of customer service. The staff were generally not very helpful (although the odd few were), but the attitude of the management was just absolutely appauling, I've never experienced anything like it. The gentleman who cleaned our room was wonderful, very polite, very helpful, I honestly could not fault him. It's a shame the management don't have the customer service skills that the cleaning staff have!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TinyTeapot
Dear Guest
We would like to thank you for choosing Sharm Grand Plaza. Also we would like to thank you for your time conveying your comments.
Kindly accept my personal apologies as this definitely should not have happened in the first place and even more so such handling is not acceptable at all.
Myself had not been made aware of your complaint and our internal investigation revealed only that our Front Office Manager who had spoken to you felt that you had been satisfied with the late check-out offer.
It is clear to us that we have a communication flow in our system and we definitely will work on it immediately.
This is not meant as an excuse and we are taking appropriate action to ensure such improper handling cannot re-occur.
We do hope that you will give Sharm Grand Plaza another chance to proof that this is not the norm of how we contact business.
I like to ad that we do hold regular guest/management cocktails every Monday with the purpose to get information from our valid guests of how is the vacation experience and to rectify any possible short comings.
Again, kindly accept our apologies.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (715)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
West Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2011

After just returning to the UK after our week in the Grand Plaza, I feel obligated to write a review and to say what a wonderful holiday we have all had. (Me my wife son 18 daughter 21)
The hotel is beautiful, with immaculately kept pools and grounds.
The staff are very friendly and polite, and cannot do enough to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.
The food is ok, you can always find something to your taste.
Because of recent troubles the hotel is very quiet giving it a lovely relaxing feel.
The alcoholic drinks are a all locally produced, with the beer being the best.
The spirits are not very nice, but I bought a couple of bottles from duty free on the way out.
Out of all the residents I would say the majority (60%) are Russian (some are very rude)
Italian (15%) and the rest English.
My wife had a Spa day which she would thoroughly recommend (£50)
There are plenty of trips to go on, the camel riding in the desert was fun, although my bum still hasn't recovered, as is the snorkelling trip to the wreck.
The snorkelling off the beach is second to none, you MUST buy a snorkel and mask.
A trip to Naama bay is also an experience, be prepared to get hassled though, a firm NO usually works.
You will read some negative reviews, but seriously, I think some people just don't know how to enjoy themselves.
Last November we stayed in the Hauza Beach, which in comparison is the pits.
Summing up I would say it is excellent value for money, perhaps not 5* as we get in the UK. But nevertheless very enjoyable.
We have already booked to go back in November, can't wait.
Happy holidays :)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank ace19
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

What a great hotel. Went above expectations. The food is really nice. Best I've had in sharm. Great location. Good size rooms. Great kids area. Deffo recommend thus hotel!

• Stayed April 2011
Dear Guest
We would like to thank you for choosing Sharm Grand Plaza. Also we would like to thank you for your time conveying your positive comments. It is great to know that our hotel facilities, services and staff manners met your satisfaction, surely your support and recommendation for our hotel will be highly appreciate and we would like to welcome you again in the hopefully not so distant future.
southampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2011

Service excellent in all respects, my room was great location overlooking gardens, swimming pools and down to beach and sea. It is a little way out from Naama Bay but I did not have the need to go out and enjoyed the whole experience. Beach lovely and sunbeds comfortable. Staff all great and extremely helpful, they make the holiday. Have to mention Dom who is on the Animation Team - great guy and helps make the holiday an even better experience. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for choosing Sharm Grand Plaza. Also we would like to thank you for your time conveying your nice comments. We are glad to know that our hotel facilities, services and staff manners met your satisfaction, surely your support and recommendation for our hotel will be highly appreciate
Thank you again and we would be very pleased to welcome again to Sharm Grand Plaza Resort .
blackpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2011

We arrived at the hotel at 9pm with a very warm welcome from the staff. Amir greeted us, who was the best on reception. We asked him if he could give us a room with a sea view. The hotel was not full so he happily obliged and he gave us room number 3324 which must be one of the best rooms in the hotel. The view was amazing and we were very pleased with it. We did have a couple of small problems with the room, the minifridge did not work and there was no remote for the TV and no buttons on the TV to change channels. When we brought this to the attention of the staff, the minifridge and the TV were exchanged immediately. Problem solved!
We just made dinner on the first night, after dumping our suitcases in the bedroom and getting changed, it was about 9.50 pm (restaurant closes at 10) so there was not a great choice of food left. However, this was no problem either because the chef cooked us some chicken especially and it was delicious.
All the waiters were really friendly and always had a smile on their face. Tarik, the head waiter looked after us throughout our stay and nothing was too much trouble.
Only one problem with the restaurant was the wine, we are wine drinkers and the wine served at the hotel leaves a lot to be desired! You can buy a bottle of wine from the bar upstairs but this is not included in the all inclusive deal.
Apart from the friendly staff, the most outstanding feature of this hotel has to be the gardens. They are beautiful and immaculate. All of the grounds are very clean and not a bit of rubbish to be seen anywhere. There are bins placed all over the gounds so no-one has any excuse anyway.
The entertainment is OK, the animation team do not hassle you to join in which suited us fine, even though my partner loved the water polo, I am just happy to enjoy the sun and read my book. Dominic from Bournemouth is the only English entertainer and he is lovely. Think he likes it when some English are there as most of the guests are Russian.
I dont think I need to mention about the Russians, we all know what they are like.
The only hassle we got around the pool was for the spa and the beauty salon. On your first day around the pool you will be approached by sales people trying to sell you a trip or whatever but the spa people seem to be there constantly, however, if you keep saying no they do go away.
If you are going to snorkel, the private jetty at the hotel is brilliant for it, in fact we saw a larger variety of fish here than on the trip to Tiran Island.
Ahmed, the barman at the pool bar always had a smile on his face and made some lovely cocktails.
We would like to say a big thank you to Mohamed el Sayed who was like our own personal guide and gave us lots of advice and help. He even took us places to get the cheapest goods so that we did not get conned!
Also thank you goes to Reda Habib, (Director of food and beverage) who showed me all his dance moves! and his assistant, Bashraf who went to great lengths to make our holiday special.
Last but by no means least, Aldo and Damaris, the Cuban duo in the bar, what lovely people, they provided excellent entertainment. My partner Gus was very happy as he could speak his native language (Spanish) to them and I could practice my spanenglish with them!
All in all, we have made some lovely friends at this hotel and we will definately be going back. Hopefully in November with friends and family.
Amanda and Gus (room 3324)

Room Tip: Room 3324 must be the best!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
We like to thank you for choosing Sharm Grand Plaza for your stay. We like to thank you also for your time conveying your very positive comments and we are glad to know that hotel facilities, services, and staff manners met your satisfaction.
We will be more than happy to meet you again at Sharm Grand Plaza Resort.

Bishops Stortford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2011

This was the first time we have been to Sharm El Sheikh, and we are very impressed. The grounds were spotless and I don'r remember seeing a single piece of litter on the ground. The staff were friendly, in particular the two evening receptionists, Amir Mahmoud, and Hussein Zaki who were extremely helpful, and very jolly, all staff spoke very good English. The Animation team were nice and friendly, they try their best to do as many activities as possible, including water polo twice a day, football, and many other mini games beside the pool. The evening entertainment was good although mainly based for children. Every day there is water aerobics and a dance in the pool. There are some shops in the hotel, including a pure perfume shop run by Aladdin who was extremely friendly, funny and offered us tea and let us treat the shop as our home. I would say the resturaunt could do with more choice, but that is a matter of opinion. All in all, I give this Hotel, 5 star.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
We would be indeed delighted if we could welcome you again at Sharm Grand Plaza Resort in the hopefully not so distant future.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2011

I stayed here with my partner at the end of March 2011 and the hotel and staff were great. When we first got there we had a friendly welcome from the staff on reception. Our bags were immediately taken from us and we were told they would be delivered to our rooms within 20 minutes, which they were.
The hotel is large but there are not any massively tall apartment blocks and the grounds are superbly maintained. This was my first stay in Egypt but i had read up the precautions about hygiene and stomach problems. I stuck to carrying alcohol gel everywhere with me and using it on a regular basis, i did not eat the salad at all and had bottled water (which the hotel provided a complimentary 2 litre bottle every day). I was not ill with any stomach problems during my stay so i would recommend this for everyone. The hotel even provided dispensers of alcohol gel in the main dining room which i thought was a nice touch.
The room that we stayed in was very spacious with two king sized beds in and lots of space around them to move. There's also a outside area with a table and chairs. The only thing that i thought the outside area could do with was a drying rack. I ended up drying my swimwear on the table and chairs. The bathroom was also of a good size, it was clean but it was looking a bit tired.
I read some bad reviews about the food before we booked this hotel. However i found that there was a very good range of food in the main restaurant. They had an italian corner all of the time with Pizza and pasta dishes. There was a range of different themed nights of food from all over the world. I would have liked to have tried the food in the egyptian corner, however the labels on this food did not describe exactly what was in it. I do not eat red meat so i decided to give it a miss. I did ask one of the staff if one of the dishes had meat in it and he said no but when i realised before i tucked into it that the things that looked like mushrooms were kidneys! I think that some of the food could be labelled better. There were only four restaurants open during our stay. We went to the main one most of the time because that is the all inclusive one. The grill place down at the beach was also nice, this one was also all inclusive. The other two the Starfish and the Oriental were ones that you had to pay for. However during our stay the hotel did sent us two invitations to eat at them for free. The Oriental was Indian food and it was very good, apart from the service that was too quick at times. I had not finished my starter and the waiter brought out my main course. We unfortunately could not make the other invitation so i cannot comment on the food in there. I also could not work out why the lobby bar was not included in the all inclusive. The snack food was basic either fish and fries or burger and fries but it was okay if you did find yourself a bit peckish!
I was more than happy to have visited Sharm El Sheikh and this hotel in March. It was about 28 deg c most of the week and it was not busy so we could get a sunbed by the pool with no problem. I would not be able to cope with the 50 deg c heat and all the tourists in the summer. I can imagine that the service at this hotel would suffer during the busy periods. However during our stay the staff could not do enough for us. During our stay it was also my birthday. The member of staff who cleaned my room made a birthday cake shape out of towels and flowers, it must have taken him ages to do. I also got a cake left in my room which was a lovely surprise. The staff made that extra effort just to make the stay even more lovely.
The only downside of this hotel was the constant badgering from the health and beauty staff trying to sell treaments or diving schools trying to sell trips. Everytime i sat down on a sunbed to chill out in the sun, there would be someone trying to sell something! In the end i just used the tactic of putting my headphones on and placing a towel over my face just to deter them. There was only so many times that i could politely say no! This was the same when visiting The Strada which was abut 30 minutes walk along the beach. The people selling things would be hassling us to buy things or trips, it was just constant hassling. We had to just ignore some of them otherwise they wanted to pull us into their shops! This seems to be the Egyption way though. If you visit Narma Bay, that is hassle hell. We went during an evening and as soon as we got out of the taxi a chap came up to us talking rubbish and then we worked out that he was taking us to his shop which was a good 5 minutes walk away! We decided to sit down in a cafe in the end for an hour or so to get away from them all. It was tiring keep saying no and being polite at the same time!
I would recommend that if you go to Sharm you should visit Cairo. I know it is a 6 hour coach ride each way but it is certainly worth it. The recent problems in Cairo were non existent. Cairo is a very busy hectic place but The Pyramids and Sphinx were amazing. We only paid £33 each for the whole trip which included entrance fees and lunch. The holiday rep from MTS wanted to sell their Cairo trip for £75 each. We were advised not to go anywhere else by them because scams were likely. However we used Kenous Tours in Narma Bay and they were great, two for the price of one if we had gone with MTS!
Overall I loved our stay at the hotel and in Egypt. I would definately come back to this hotel again should i return to Sharm in the future.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Regarding to our lobby bar kindly be informed that the reason for not being all inclusive is that with normally 1400 guest in the resort the lobby would become totally over crowded, however as we do realize that we need to have an air-conditioned all inclusive outlet we had decided to build a large pub. This will be available later towards end of the year. This is only one of many up-grades planned and partly already under realization.
We will be looking forward to welcome you again and to be informed that We will not leave any chance to make your next visit a memorable one
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nabq Bay
Sultan Gardens Resort
Sultan Gardens Resort
#19 of 232 in Sharm El Sheikh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,995 reviews

Been to Sharm Grand Plaza? Share your experiences!