“Not as Good”
Review of Jaz Mirabel Beach

Jaz Mirabel Beach
Ranked #21 of 33 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Just returned from holiday the hotel is very quite only 20-30% occupied as a result they have had to lay off many staff until occupancy rates increase.
last year we visited at the same time and the grounds were immaculate and no litter anywhere. Unfortunately not the case now dirty crockery left in doorways and corridors.
This year got bitten may times despite using insect repellent although 90% in room!! had to be fumigated twice.I Believe as a result of manual spraying of grounds not as efficient as auto spraying as last year.
Bar staff not as attentive as last year Although guys at the las palmas bar were great!!
Thomson are very liberal with whats happening and should be more honest when claiming only a small number of rooms are available when booking online!!.
They are quoting £34 per person for late checkout hotel only charges £25 per room although we got ours complimentary (Thank you desk manager).
Trips to Cairo on offer by reps considerably cheaper at hotel than being asked at time of booking.
I wouldn't pre book seats plane not full should have no problem getting seats together
and save yourself money.
Always haggle on prices in hotel and on resort we had aroma massagein hotel the 80 minsone and only paid 400 egypt pound instead of 650 without really trying.
Taxis to Nambia bay only £10 sterling return dont pay until you get back to hotel.
La Strada only 15 mins walk turn left out of hotel.
Only paid 10egypt pound for return journey.
If you are a Smoker cheapest cigarettes can be purchased from the duty free shop in Soho square $9 usa about £6 sterling but you need to go within 48hrs of landing and take your passport.The brand is L&M taxi fare no more than 50egypt pounds return.
I always take US DOLLARS and sterling dont bother with taking Egyptain pounds as you get better rate on the resort.

Despite all the above I still love Egypt and will be going back later this year.But will look to get reduction as hotels are empty at the moment.
Would i go back to Jaz only if things improve.

3  Thank daverobj

Reviewed July 2, 2011

Both myself and my husband stayed here for one week. The resort was brilliant and the hotel amazing. The bar staff, waiters, room attendants and reception staff were lovely they couldn' t do enough for you. The food wasn' t as good as we have experienced in other hotels we have stayed in and could of been more varied.
This was our first holiday to Egypt and we didn' t know what to expect as we had heard very mixed views about the country and what the staff in the hotels expect from the holiday makers. We were told that tipping the staff is expected whatever they do for you, this was not so at this hotel, they were just happy to make your holiday as relaxing and enjoyable as the possibly could. We would most definitely go back to this hotel again.

3  Thank veronicaEngland
Reviewed July 2, 2011

Hi just returned from 2 weeks at the jaz mirabel beach for my 25th wedding anniversary. What can i say but WOW. Superb from start to finish. Housekeeping ,bar staff, waiters and animation team excellent. Superb facilities. This was my third visit to Egypt and the best. I am already looking to re book this hotel for next time. Attention to detail was second to none.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SnugsStockport
Reviewed July 2, 2011

Stayed in the jaz mirable from 19th June-26th June, had a lovely relaxing holiday, the hotel was extremely quiet so plenty of room around the pool and plenty of sunbeds. Osama in the towel hut by the beach bar became our new friend and everyday reserved the same sunbeds for us. Food was ok plenty of choice but me & my partner did suffer with deli belly!!! Not the only ones either. Entertainment was good but did get a bit repetative after a few nights. The staff in the oriental bar were always bringing drinks out to us and filling up our glasses. The spa was lovely aswell as the huge jacuzzi. A week was plenty of time to be here as all we did was chill out for the week. Had a paper everyday but they are £4 and a magazine £5!!!! Take plenty of imodium on your travels!!!

2  Thank Laura T
Reviewed July 2, 2011

This is broken into two areas the first about Thompson the second about the Hotel:

Thompson:

We booked on line and paid for in-flight meals and a late booking out fee of £68.00 A point about keeping your room on the last day, don’t pay the £68.00 to Thompson prior to going the Hotel only gets £25 the rest fills Thompsons pockets, see reception and just pay the £25.00, the hotel manager Mr Ashraf is not happy about the Thompson rip off and is addressing the problem.

The in-flight meals we paid £30.00 for two meals there and back. Not only had we got to remind the staff that we had paid for the meal but it was disgusting on the way back and the way there I cannot describe as children might read this post, quite simply the worst in-flight meals I have ever had sine I sat in the back of a C130 while an RAF Corporal through me a sandwich and a apple and drink Thinking about it the RAF meal was better), don’t do it buy a sandwich from the airport cheaper, tastier and I am sure a whole lot better for you.

The Hotel:
Our 3rd stay in the Jaz Beach. We know the hotel and the staff that remain from last year quite well. We booked through Thompson but are considering booking direct next time, we never use the tour reps (although nice people) if we have a problem we always speak to the hotel.

The hotel was mainly filled with British Guests, the reception is excellently designed, however some people still feel free to walk through without their tops on, don’t do it, you would not in European hotel so why here, one day I was sitting talking to the Hotel manager and some guests (Not British) allowed there children to treat the reception as a play ground again don’t do it, especially if the hotel manager is about you may find yourselves leaving the hotel quicker than expected or at least getting a talking to. I was told a interesting motto that the Hotel maintains “the guest is always right unless they don’t behave as guests.” The hotel has high standards and is not afraid to maintain them.

As said in other posts the hotel is 30% occupied (from the hotel manager) due to the perceived problems in Egypt, when we have been previously it has been in school holidays so obviously there are lots of children and teenagers around this time very few and was much quieter.

I have read the other posts and while some comments are valid I don’t know where most get their points from. OK I did not find the meals as good as previous two years but it was still OK.

Our room(2183)was cleaned daily to en exceptional standard and the cleaner Wa’hed Mohamed did an excellent job with keeping us entertained with his towel creations, his only problem was that he did not know how good he was, funny, intelligent and genuinely interested in that we had an enjoyable stay within his area of responsibility, well done.

The Bar staff in the Blue Bar Khaled and Rmdan were most helpful, people say on this board that the staff only give exceptional service when you tip them, not so. We only tip at the end of the holiday to genuine good service none of the people we tipped knew we would tip them. A simple hello and please and thank you goes along way with the staff we treated them with respect and they treated us with the same courtesy and fell over themselves to make our stay worth repeating. I cannot believe some people go to the bar and give there drinks order without saying please and thank you, remember the staff speak English very well and know what is right and wrong.

The bar staff in the bar area during the day and night at the main bar and reception area are well worth a mention Hussam El-diu, Memy and Admon were excellent OK sometimes they forgot to get us our drinks orders but they work so hard and are trying to keep everyone happy, I did here one person moaning that they had not got their drinks but who of us don’t forget something during our working day, they did a good job. I sat in reception every morning to read my book (Don’t like the sun much, go to hot places because the wife dose) the staff were most upset when I got my own drinks, because they like to serve you, again a simple please and thank you goes a long way.

The pool area was clean and tidy with the staff trying their best to ensure the hotel is maintained to the highest standards one chap worth a mention Amin El Saied always cheerful and eager to help.

Now the down side; The problem with fewer guests is that the dive and Spa centre staff are constantly bugging you to sign up to things, they do have do not disturb signs in the beach towel sheds but in the 10 days we spent there they never had them either they have disappeared or people kept them and took them to their rooms at night, they need some more.

We only left the Hotel complex once and we went to Soho Square taxi ride £10 return trip from a taxi outside of the Hotel, remember not to pay them until completion of the return trip. Very commercial area but free entertainment and a good night out.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank ianc3710
Reviewed July 1, 2011

first of all i would like to say that the negative reviews on this hotel are completely crazy. i stayed here last summer and it was the most beautiful hotel, fabulous food with very friendly staff who were always there at your call! With it being my first trip to sharm i wasnt sure what to expect, however i couldnt fault it one bit!! Ignore bad reviews, it was FAB!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Tropical92
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I will be totally frank on my own personal experience,My second visit in three months and unfortunately will be the last.
Stayed in March - wonderful stay, heard a few grumbles from other previous guests about how standards had dropped etc etc, no complaints in March atal maybe only gripe- mini bar not inclusive and no kettle in the room but overall fab stay that encouraged me to re book - What a let down!!!!
Management really need to take a long hard look at themselves!!!
Firstly noticed how quiet it was approx 20 percent occupied,which was fine no problem getting beds by the pool etc - BUT the cutbacks management are a joke and have reduced the Hotels standards and service drastically - I tried to explain that i booked this Hotel because i wanted a 5 star hotel and all the trimmings that go with 5 star - it seems i should have booked into the park next door where by all accounts the ratio of staff to guests was far greater and the service they were recieving was 6 star !!!
The food was poor, uninspiring in fact could only face to eat there 4 times out of 14 nights!!The service was what i would expect in a back street cafe, went to eat one night and were not even offered drinks,another night we were told we could not have a water glass as they had run out ,(tip given by a staff member , beer wine and diet pepsi ok to drink in the restaurant (if u are lucky enough to get served ) DO NOT DRINK coke lemonade or fanta- mixed with tap water!!!NOT FIVE STAR!
Staff morale rock bottom -staff fighting in full view of guests - one night all kitchen staff had walked out - One day there was nearly a revolution by the guests due to the decline in service from previous stays....
The bar staff were fantastic, the bar managers however just strutt around oggling and i mean oggling the women making you feel very very uncomfortable,especially short man with glasses and tall man with birthmark- again nearly caused a big problem, these men deserve a slap!!!!Manager needs to have a word with these two or it could be really unpleasant - or better still SACK THEM!
Staff spoke to a few of us and told us they have to pay the bar managers tips each night so they are allowed to keep their tips!!!!!NICE!!Be warned if you purchase anything after midnight DO NOT PAY CASH - it will be pocketed by staff and again Bar Managers get a cut - make sure u obtain a receipt or book to your room !!!
Air conditioning only on 7pm-11pm to save on costs unless guests comment!
Also told that hotel will only stay at 20-25% occupancy and the manager does not want to take on more staff as he is on a budget- and so are your guests and we all work hard for our holidays!!
No wonder staff morale is so low!!!
I am pleased i had no children only member of staff i saw from the kids club was always drinking and smoking- nice !!!
Booked through Thomson- Not once did we see or hear from a rep - called in at desk one night no one there - Thomson reps at this hotel UTTER JOKE!!!!
Guest relations on check out struts round and asks people how was their stay etc and makes notes, heard one couple making negative comments - their questionairre was promptly ripped up and put in the bin- we were totally ignored by this woman!!!!
I am by far from a snob, but i work hard for my holidays and book 5* because i want a little luxury on my break,not cutbacks rude staff and poor service,the hotel has done well in previous years time to put some money back in and maintain the previous standards and maintain expectations - On a positive note Housekeeping are amazing!!!
Will go back to Blue Bay in future for a proper 5* experience!!!!

8  Thank Lesley D
Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh
Steigenberger Alcazar
Steigenberger Alcazar
#1 of 33 in Nabq Bay

Been to Jaz Mirabel Beach? Share your experiences!