Having visited decent hotels in the Red Sea resorts of El Gouna and Hurghada over the last couple of years, I have been generally been impressed by the service that myself and my family have received ..... once you get past the habitual, almost cultural staring, inappropriate gawping and comments the staff feel they need to do and make towards women.
However having just this morning returned from a week's stay at this hotel, I can only describe the service we received from the majority of the staff as woefully short of what I've expected, and on a different scale to I expect from an alleged 5* hotel.
The waiters especially seem to think that as it is an all inclusive resort, they don't have to bother about customer service as they rarely get tipped - well, who carries money in an all inclusive resort? Also, my previous experience of AI resorts is that the discourage tipping, which is not the case here. When the waiters realise they are unlikely to get a tip they are even slower and begrudging than usual! We have paid for this you know! Surly and brusque generally, and over attentive to the ladies and teenage girls!
My second area of real problem was the reception staff. I lost count of the number of times I was fobbed off or passed to another member of staff ... once being asked to talk to 3 different people at different positions less than 3 yards from each other - incredible! More concerning I was told lies (strong words, but that's what they were!) on 3 different occaisons by the reception/concierge team - which they all denied of course, including the desk manager!
There is significant building work going on in this hotel - be warned, they are adding another floor to many of the wings, therefore if you want a lie in, or have young kids that need peace and quiet during the day - forget it! Of course they did not tell us this when we checked in with our teenagers who do enjoy a lie in!
As for the entertainment ..... let's not even go there!!!
I could go on about the incompetent and inept staff, including the management team, however won't - I just want to forget the experience and put it in my Room 101 never to come out again!
Couple of positives to finish on though .... "Bob" in the Relaxation Bar - top bloke, helpful and attentive and real good guy; maids/cleaning staff - brilliant too, go a great job; and Max selling his knock-off designer handbags in the handbag shop - tip for the ladies (or blokes if that way inclined!) bring a big case and bring plenty home, they're good fakes - but don't pay him more than £20 each for them!!
And the weather, as always, was first class!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opened in 2004, the 5* resort has a dream location on the golden sandy beach on the new hotel zone of Nabq Bay, facing coral reefs in the crystal clear waters of the Red Sea, and the shipwrecks of the nearby Straits of Tiran. The main building and the attached two-storey building are surrounded by resplendent gardens extending down to the beach. This elegant all inclusive resort is only 12 km from Sharm El Sheikh Airport, and 20 km from the famous Naama-Bay.Whether you're celebrating an anniversary or honeymoon, planning a family vacation in Sharm El Sheikh or just wanting to get away from it all, Royal Albatros Moderna is the perfect place for all ages and interests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Albatros Moderna Hotel Nabq Bay
- Calimera Royal Moderna
- Calimera Moderna Beach
- Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm El-Sheikh Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt - Nabq Bay