“this truly is the fawlty towers of alleged 5-star hotels”

Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Nabq Bay
southampton
“this truly is the fawlty towers of alleged 5-star hotels”
Reviewed June 21, 2009

Having visited decent hotels in the Red Sea resorts of El Gouna and Hurghada over the last couple of years, I have been generally been impressed by the service that myself and my family have received ..... once you get past the habitual, almost cultural staring, inappropriate gawping and comments the staff feel they need to do and make towards women.

However having just this morning returned from a week's stay at this hotel, I can only describe the service we received from the majority of the staff as woefully short of what I've expected, and on a different scale to I expect from an alleged 5* hotel.

The waiters especially seem to think that as it is an all inclusive resort, they don't have to bother about customer service as they rarely get tipped - well, who carries money in an all inclusive resort? Also, my previous experience of AI resorts is that the discourage tipping, which is not the case here. When the waiters realise they are unlikely to get a tip they are even slower and begrudging than usual! We have paid for this you know! Surly and brusque generally, and over attentive to the ladies and teenage girls!

My second area of real problem was the reception staff. I lost count of the number of times I was fobbed off or passed to another member of staff ... once being asked to talk to 3 different people at different positions less than 3 yards from each other - incredible! More concerning I was told lies (strong words, but that's what they were!) on 3 different occaisons by the reception/concierge team - which they all denied of course, including the desk manager!

There is significant building work going on in this hotel - be warned, they are adding another floor to many of the wings, therefore if you want a lie in, or have young kids that need peace and quiet during the day - forget it! Of course they did not tell us this when we checked in with our teenagers who do enjoy a lie in!

As for the entertainment ..... let's not even go there!!!

I could go on about the incompetent and inept staff, including the management team, however won't - I just want to forget the experience and put it in my Room 101 never to come out again!

Couple of positives to finish on though .... "Bob" in the Relaxation Bar - top bloke, helpful and attentive and real good guy; maids/cleaning staff - brilliant too, go a great job; and Max selling his knock-off designer handbags in the handbag shop - tip for the ladies (or blokes if that way inclined!) bring a big case and bring plenty home, they're good fakes - but don't pay him more than £20 each for them!!

And the weather, as always, was first class!

Shokran ......

2 Thank SouthamptonGeordie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,569)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2009

Arrived on the 4th June for 2 weeks.
First impressions was good and reception was well run with about 5 staff on duty all day and night.
When we arrived we was delt with quickly and had to fill out some information. Our cases were taken straight to our room (1436) very quickly.
The room we had was very very nice and had alot of room with a great view of the active pool. This had a Small plasma tv on the wall, lots of room for clothing, big mirrors and a quiet air-con unit. This room was one of the refurbished rooms and i could not fault it at all. I did see into one of the rooms on the lower levels and they seemed to be very different to the one we had, i was glad i had this room.
The bathroom was great and also had enough space, a walk in shower/wet room, big mirror, basin and toilet.
The pools
Had the choice of 3 pools, kids pool, active pool and relaxation pool. On sight the active pool seemed really busy and the majority of people there was from Eastern Europe. I woke up one morning at about 5.00am'ish and saw quite a few of the eastern europeons putting towels out at this silly time of the morning.
We found the active pool to be the better one of the lot. Less stress around here, no one selling you massages and trips, a nice bar and catering.
The Food
I have read reviews and people saying the food is poor and could not find anything to eat, come on people, you must not have looked around. Yes, ok, the food is not of a top notch restaurant standard but edable and had lots of choice. We found the mederterainian one by far the best as they have ''themed'' nights while the other one was catered for the eastern europeons.
You can get pizza's from the beach bar along with freshly made sandwiches, and these was really nice.
We had one night in the al'a cart restaurant (Tuscani) and found the food to be really nice and the drinks never stopped coming. Money well spent if you ask me. The alcohol seemed to be alot better in here ( you didnt have to pay for these) rather than anywhere else.
The drinks i would say you needed a strong tongue to really enjoy, the spirits could be used as a substitute for petrol but the beer was nice compared.
The Beach was where we spent a fair bit of our time and was a great way to spend the day. You do get asked to go on trips but a polite no thanks is always a winner.
The jetty/pier, i can only say yes it is long, but well worth it. We saw so many different fish, from eels to puffer fish and even a few Clown fish (nemo) At the end of the jetty we was well looked after by the lifeguard Ness, what a man he was, knew so much about the animals around the in water and took me and my partner to the 2 ship wrecks which was way fair swim away. If you speak to him, call him '008' and see him laugh. Without this man we would not had seen sights we would have. I think i forgot to mention one day we spotted a big family of about 20-30 dolphins thanks to Ness. Happy days.

We spent most evenings after dinner having drinks and shesha's in the orientle/shesha bar and was well looked after by ibrahim, he never let our drinks go anywhere near empty.

We had one night in Naama bay and found this place not to our liking, the people are quite pushey here to get you into their restaurants and shops, even with a polite no some felt it neccesary to try their hand at english swearing, NICE!
We found the old market to be alot more relaxing and alot of bargains to be had, alot cheaper than Naama Bay.

Ok nearly over, just for the bad points,
I cant fault the hotel for cleaniness as they clean 24 hours. The only thing i can only fault was some of the people here. Im not a racist person but the Eastern Europeans can be quite rude and arrogant, mostly at meal times. I think that in their minds that the food will run out and need to push in front of you, another bad point i found with them that they have to have a very close look at what you are eating while you are sitting down, remember the food wont run out and is always being cooked and brought out. And before someone says, YES there was some english doing this also, but not alot.

The hotel is a fair distance from the main city centre, but we did not intend to go out there often, just a couple of times, but this was a good 30 minute cab ride, but this is not alot money wise.

The pharmacy is pricey, but haggle with him in there and ask for prices first!! This applies to the shops in the whole hotel.

On check out day, our flight was not till about 9, asked for a curtasy room so we could freshen up and was told we had to use the toilets or the poolside showers and if wanted to keep the room on for the few hours we had to pay 50 euro's.

If you stay here, email them for a refurbished room, and dont expect an English 5 star, it is more like a very good 3 or a low 4, but still had a fab time.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ESSEXSUNWORSHIPERS
Cumbria
Reviewed June 18, 2009

We stayed for two weeks with an 11month old and a girl who was 5 whilst we were there. They were fantastic. The only advice I would give is to take your own cot if your child/baby is old enough to stand as the cots provided are very shallow more a crib. If you have a travel high chair take that aswell. I would recommed it though, we had a fantastic relaxing time and my little girl was even given a lovely birthday cake with a candle on her birthday. Kids club was great but make sure they are getting drinks, the
kids disco is sweet and the shows quite ammusing.

The main pools and kids pool are fantastic and the kids play areas are well maintained

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank 8888Lollyp
Derbyshire
Reviewed June 17, 2009

This was our third visit to the Albatross, and will not be our last! We love it. I travelled with my husband and my Mum and Dad. We flew Monarch, never again! If you sorting our your own transport from the airport to the Hotel, make sure you do not pay more than £15. This is plenty, make sure you agree this price before you get in the taxi.

The room we were put in was clean and in a good position (208/207), but our last two visits, the rooms were really plush! so this room seemed slightly (worn), and we got no sun our our terrace all day. But the location was great, so I didnt bother asking to move. You get fresh towels, and two bottles of water in your room daily.

Since our last visit, there have been many changes (all for the better). The kiddies pool is great! The beach bar has extended. The restaurants have extended too. So much choice of food, if you cant find something you like to eat - there must be something seriously wrong with you! The waiters, bar staff (especially Sharkey, Eddie Murphy and Gary Wilmot) are lovely and friendly and remembered us from our last visits. The animation staff really do work hard, and try and get everyone involved.

We were situated around the activity pool which means you tend to get the staff trying to sell you trips, massages, etc. We had done all these on our previous visits, and just explained this to them. They never bothered us again. Jacob is the best man to book your trips with. Quad biking is especially fun! (If you stay around the relaxation pool you dont get bothered).
The pools around the hotel are lovely! just the right temperature for cooling down, after a hard day cooking your body! You are given a card when you check in for towels. This is great, you dont have to pack any towels (which is good considering we only at 15kg allowance). You take this card to the towel cabin, obtain your towel, use it all day, take it back at end of the day, or couple of days, up to you. We found there were plenty of sunbeds and shade to go around, so no scrambling for them in the morning!
The pier on the beach seems to go on forever, and although this time we did not go snorkelling, we were told it was good at the end of the pier.
The entertainment - well - bless. At the beach bar you have a chap who sings (mostly the same songs) but he does his best. Karoake is a laugh too, you always seem to get a Whitney Houston wanabee up there! ha ha.
We did not bother taking any egyptian money this time. All we took was £1 coins, so we could tip. You tip a barman at the beginning of the evening, and guaranteed you will never have to go to the bar.

We will definitely be going back next year. Not a cloud in the sky for the whole week - heaven!

Wales
Reviewed June 16, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel between the 30th May 2009 and 12th June 2009. Having got married the day before this was our honeymoon. On arrival at the hotel the first thing that I noticed was the cleanliness of every area. The hotel was spotless and well maintained. For a 5* hotel the bedrooms especially the bathroom were in need of upgrading however again the room was spotlessley clean and the huge bed was extremely comfy. Do not be afraid to ask for another room if you are not satisfied with the one you get. As long as there is room in the hotel staff are more than happy to assist. The cleaners attended everyday and again maintained the high standard of cleanliness. Water bottles were provided every day and again don't be afraid to contact reception to ask for more when they run out.
Food - There were a variety of dishes to suit most tastes in the restaurant but don't forget to try the beach bar or the relaxation pool for some delicious pizzas which are slightly larger that that in the main restaurant!!
Illness - Everybody knows that Egypt is notorious for the 'dodgy belly' syndrome. I saved and was fine throughout the holiday however my husband did suffer. Most people were ill for a maximum of a few days and there is a chemist on site and outside of the site who will provide tablets at a charge. Unfortunately for my hubby he was ill for 4 days and due to dehydration had to go and visit the Doctor which is on site 24hrs. The doctor was extremely helpful and depending on what treatement needed depends on the charge. Check this out with him before receiving any treatment as depending on the severity of your condition it may be worth going through your insurance company to sort payment out. Another tip....our case was packed with Immoduim before going but due to the intense heat out in Egypt Immoduim does not work. I am unable to say what caused my hubby's illness but it could have been a combination of the heat, and cold drinks or something he eat...however I doubt this as I eat the same as him and I was fine throughout the holiday. The Dr recommended that people drink some warm drinks...yes warm ..mad hey, like tea or coffee which helps to regulate the body's temp and kill any bacteria thatmaybe lurking in the stomach!!
Entertainment - The entertainment was ok depending on what you wanted. The singers were not that good however there were plenty of activities throughout the day to keep people and children amused. The comedy show is a must! There is a disco in the hotel which runs from 23.00hrs til late but be warned you have to pay for drinks after 12! Don't be alarmed if it seems quite when you first arrive...it does get busier honest!
Excursions/ Treatments - We booked in the hotel to go Scuba Diving with the Sharks. Although it may work out a little more expensive to book in the hotel I can honestly say that their level of care and safety was first class. They were extremely professional and ensured that all rules and regulations were followed. The coral and fish were absolutely out of this world. If you do not want to book a trip if you walk down the jetty at the rear of the hotel on the beach you can go snorkelling there and again the fish are beautiful. Be mindful of the "so called steps" to go down into the water..they are very steep and slippery. You go down these at your own risk!!
Treatements - My hubby and I spent an afternoon in the Spa which was extremely relaxing and great value for money, but what I would say is Haggle Haggle Haggle.. Don't except the price they give you ask for a discount and if they refuse go back in a few days time...it works trust me!!
Shops in the hotel - The shops in the hotel are expensive and they are very reluctant to give you a discount. Out the rear of the hotel, turn left and head some 5 minutes down the road. Here you will find a Supermarket which is much cheaper. Be warned though there are no prices on anything...you just got to be mindful of how much they are asking and if it is too expensive, tell them...I can assure you they will soon drop their prices. In the hotel around the pool there is a male selling colourful sand in bottles as presents...Another tip, you will pay through your nose for these and if you go to the supermarket that has been mentioned above you will find exactly the same things at half the price if not less...even with a cheaper price you can haggle and get even a further discount.!!
Departure Day - I have read on one of the reviews that the hotel refused to allow an extension of the room on the last day. I had the same problem. I asked in reception the night before and was advised that we had to be out by 12 as the hotel was fully booked. I got back to the room and not taking no for an answer contacted reception again stating that I was unhappy about this..I was advised to contact them in the morning. In the morning I contacted reception again and they told me that as long as I was prepared to pay the 50 euro then I could have an extension until 18.00hrs. This ment that we had an extra day in the Sun and we were not hanging around in the hotel for 7 hours waiting for the bus to collect us in the night. In brief...don't take what they say first hand. Try another member of staff who might be more accomodating. Even though I agree that this should not have to be done in a 5 * hotel unfortunately this is the case.
Last tip for the day...if you do venture out of the hotel you will get hassled by the egyptians but the advice that was given to us was to totally ignore them and to avoid eye contact at all times. This may sound rude to us but this is the only way they will leave you alone. If you reply to their requests by saying for example 'no thank you' then I am afraid that you will find it hard to get rid of them. In brief, if you don't want to buy, ignore them and no eye contact!!
I appreciate that this has been long winded but I hope that our experiences will assist travellers in the future who are thinking of attending this hotel. Would I go again and stay in this hotel....? Yes definately!! Happy Holiday!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sianifach
London
Reviewed June 14, 2009

I have just recently returned from a 10-day stay in the Royal Albatros Moderna Hotel in Sharm El Sheikh but I did not want to return!
I had an amazing holiday and this was helped by the friendliness of all the staff. The Animation team work exceptionally hard to entertain the visitors with a packet timetable of daytime and afternoon activities.
The hotel is very clean and is just 10 minutes to the local supermarket.
The food is great and the three free restaurants have different themed nights.
Overall I loved this hotel and would recommend it to anybody. The only bad thing about it is there is not much nightlife in the hotel except the beach bar and 1900 disco which are both great. Or PACHA is not far.

I would also recommend to youthe amazing handbag and jewellery shops in the hotel.

Thankyou

1 Thank siesie1994
Leeds
Reviewed June 11, 2009

This is the third time we have stayed in this hotel and will keep going back as much as we can. The hotel staff are so friendly, they treat you as family and show real care and consideration to guests in the hotel. The food, although it can be a little monotonous was great, considering they are catering for such a wide range of people and nationalities. The Animation Team are so friendly, ensuring guests enjoy a range of activities during the day and put on some very good shows of an evening. This is the place to bring kids as there are 4 swimming pools, one specifically for kids with a selection of slides in the kids pool, there is also a kids club which is fantastic, the staff who run it are conversant with many languages to help make the kids feel at home and one of the staff used sign language so the Deaf kids were included too. All kinds of trips are organised from the hotel as you would expect but the best feature I thought was the jetty, stretcing so far out into the coral sea, right to the end of the coral reef allowing for brilliant snorkalling. It's just amazing. I was so terrified of the waves crashing against the jetty that I wouldn't go in the water at first, the lifeguard offered to take me out, it was so amazing, he took me to the end of the reef, swimming with me, he is like a fish! without him I would never have experienced the wonderful sights of the coral reef and the amazing marine life, it was such an experience. However it was disappointing to see so many guests ignoring the signs not to walk on the coral, spoiling the marine life there. All in all its fab.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Radisson Blu Resort, Sharm El Sheikh
Rixos Sharm El Sheikh
Rixos Sharm El Sheikh
#2 of 31 in Nabq Bay

Been to Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh? Share your experiences!