“First visit and most definitely won't be the last!!!”

Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Nabq Bay
“First visit and most definitely won't be the last!!!”
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

This was our first visit (myself and partner, my mom and dad) this hotel after hearing fab reviews and obviously a few negative on here...where you get the negativity from I do not know! It's an absolutey beautiful hotel and from the minute you arrive you are taken in and feel like your in heaven really!!!
The staff were very pleasant, very attentive and couldn't do enough for you. Some of the other people; well put it this way leave a lot . to be desired with the whole "rude, it's all about me holiday" and was hard to watch some treat the staff like something on their shoe! Special thanks to sayeed and the gang in the lounge bar... had some special nights in there and lovely staff. Couldn't do enough for you. Will miss them all.
The entertainment I found very entertaining. Staff fantastic. Each morning at the active pool something for everyone and also staff got everyone involved In all games etc. The water aerobics looked fab and fun. Again something for everyone from kids to adults. Singers in the hotel near the terrace bar, down at the beach bar very good with something different every night and especially the local song! Hey now hey now, my partner enjoyed a few shisha down there. He even bought a mini one to take home with all flavored tobacco!...very addictive and my favourite of all, and also then the irish bar. Where people get the smell of vomit from I do not know. Very clean and friendly staff. Good that it opened till 2am as we thought our room bill would be very high but no.. very good in price etc. Very well done on keeping everything going and making our stay extremely lovely.
Food was out of this world. Never been anywhere where the food was to that standard. It was lovely, again always something for everyone! The soup was especially amazing! Had it every day! The doughnuts were beautiful at 4pm too.
Rooms were nice. Ours was 308 and was lovely..All cleaned to a very high standard and very nice cleaner. He worked his self out!! Beach towels are provided. We found that if we tipped earlier on in the holiday it was better. You have got to remember that the people don't live like we do here so yeah can feel you are being bombarded at times in shops but they are just trying to earn a living. A simple no thanks will do the trick. I did enjoy bartering though!
We also went to the three crowns on a couple of occasions and met some lovely people there. Very good atmosphere and the national day was brilliant! Horses outside even!! Drinks very reasonable and good Stella and Heineken drinks. Thanks to Andy and the gang who we met.
Lastly the drinks, I found some of the cocktails very strong and couldn't handle them! Especially the blue lagoons! They were lethal. Temper time! The local beer wasn't strong but to be honest like my partner said the staff don't want a cart load of drunk people in the hotel. It was a nice drink though. I preferred it in the day though. I eventually found peach schnapps near the end of the holiday..my partner favourite drink was a beer followed by a chaser of a cocktail called the kamikasi. All in all a good tipple!
A big thanks to the pharmacist at the hotel who helped with the poorly tummies. My partner and my mom was but a couple of tablets called diax and a few others to stop the cramps well let's just say brilliant! We also got things to settle stomach and bite cream. Very good andinformative!

We stayed at the royal albatross moderna from 27th Mar-6th April n can honestly say we can't wait to go back. The holiday was absolutely fantastic. We met some lovely people and to be honest it could be our second home. Thank u to all staff. Can't remember many names. But you were all fantastic. Even reception staff! It's a beautiful hotel and everyone works so hard even those behind the scenes. Thank you once again for everything.. We will be back towards the end of the year.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Hazel P
Mahmoud R, General Manager at Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Hazel,

What a lovely review – so detailed and comprehensive. You obviously had a great time and we do look forward to welcoming you back home at the end of the year. (Christmas is a wonderful time here and we have an amazing Gala Dinner with fantastic entertainment). See you soon.

gm@royalalbatros.com.eg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,569)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2014

This was our 4th time in Egypt and first time at the Albatros, having previously stayed at the Concorde and twice at the Sultans Garden, this was by far the best hotel we stayed at. There was 2 adults and 2 children aged 13 and 11. Rooms large and big comfy queen size bed, only niggle kids were in our room in a huge bunk bed. Loads of sunbeds, huge pool. All restaurants are themed so if you fancy Italian or oriental, I think there were 5 different ones open at all different times of day, food was excellent, we always went to the beach bar for dinners. Theres a long jetty that goes over 600 meters out over the coral, so you could go swimming but when we were there in October 2013 it was very windy so no swimming, still you get a very good suntan on the jetty due to the wind. The water park which is at the front of the hotel opens at 10.30 till 12.30 then shuts for dinner.I think it would have been better placed in the middle of the complex where their is a great big concrete circle on the way to the beach, ideal for the water park. Coffee bar as good as Starbucks, Hot chocolate to die for. Doughnut bar opens at 4 and there excellent. We finished around pool, and went for coffee and doughnuts every night. Cant wait to go back in October 2014

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Spug69
Mahmoud R, General Manager at Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Spug,

It sounds like you had a great time and I’m so pleased. It’s a lovely review and thank you for taking the time to write and say such positive things about your holiday here.

You mentioned just one little niggle and I should make you aware that we have a variety of different room types and that includes accommodation with two bedrooms specifically for families, so you might like to check those out when you book for October.

Other than that I can see you had a fantastic time and we all look forward to another fantastic holiday with you later this year.

w/yorks
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Second visit to the RAM and just as amazing as before. We were up graded on arrival and given late check out as a thankful for coming back which was nice touch. We had a ground floor junior suit which was massive. Although near to children's pool and activity bar we were not disturbed by any noise ext. we spent time on the beach or round the relaxation pool and were looked after very well by the waiters sorry can not remember all there names. We loved the new beach bar and snack bar. Every thing very clean and never had problem finding a table. Evening entertainment also much improved with the addition of the new stage and entertainment area. Enjoyed all the shows and the male singer was excellent. Food not as good as last time but think that may have been due to large number of Russians in the hotel, however always found something to eat. Soups very tasty and pizza and pasta very good. Overhaul a very enjoyable holiday and all staff from room cleaner who seemed to be always around asking if everything was ok and we're we ok to to waiters, bar staff and even reception staff who we found to be really helpful. Our patio door did not lock on arrival to room but was replaced in less then half hour. Something you must try if going to RAM are the coffee's much better then Starbucks. Looking forward to our next visit hopefully later this year.

Room Tip: E-mail prior to departure to make any requests. Guest relations reply quickly and ate very helpful
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the “fantastic” review and for returning to the RAM. As repeat guests you are entitled to certain upgrades and extras and I’m delighted that you were happy with them.

We’ve made a few changes since last time you came and that includes the huge beach bar/restaurant which has proved to be so popular with all the guests. You really don’t have to go far from your sun lounger on the huge beach to get something to eat and that includes pizzas, hamburgers, hot dogs, fish ‘n’ chips, pasta, salads and drinks. And it’s great to hear that the staff looked after you well and the maintenance guys fixed your patio door quickly.

Hopefully we’ll see you again soon.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Really enjoyed our family holiday and found staff we came in contact with very helpful and friendly. Do get bit of hassle at first with spa and excursion sales staff round pool but after first day just friendly banter exchanged in passing. We found the different restaurants interesting and enjoyed having a try of foods we otherwise would not have bothered with! Entertainment staff work really hard all day and evening. Beach Bar on the evening we went was entertaining for the holiday crowd. Depends on personal taste I suppose but the male singer and fire act kept the crowd happy that night. Ahmed at the coffee stall next to German Restaurant does a brilliant job and our visits were highlight of our day. Bar staff mostly happy guys though some could come over as bit offhand!! Pool Bar always friendly even though we were all on soft drinks. The fresh baking on the terrace is amazing and for us a real treat!! Our three rooms were always well cleaned and nothing was a problem for the staff even when one of the rooms had water coming through the ceiling after the torrential rain. Yes maybe some of the furnishings are not new but they are working hard to upgrade the standard of rooms. I would guess the off smell outside the Irish Bar someone mentioned in their review could be because the place flooded and part of the ceiling came down in the bar when we were there at the beginning of March. Worst storm in years but staff worked round the clock to get things sorted. Some of us in UK are familiar with the result of water damage and its not nice! Would we go back again? Yes we would!

Room Tip: Email first with special requests!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Lynda,

Many thanks for the great review and for the vote of confidence. I’m glad you had a great time and just got on with the job of enjoying yourself, with a little help from the staff of course. It’s also wonderful to read that you would come back again and as repeat guests you would be eligible for a few extra perks during your stay. Check it out when you book

We all look forward to seeing you again soon.

Braunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Okay so we travelled to this hotel to celebrate a 40th birthday, we chose this hotel due to the reports on this site and magnitude of returning guests. It's taken some time for me to write this review as I could not decide what to write, having now just returned from a 2nd visit to Nabq to a different hotel. I now know.

Plus side - This hotel has thought of everything and has just about everything you could need for an all-round holiday. The food is pretty good, plentiful with good variety. The perk of my stay were the freshly cooked croissants on the terrace every morning. The staff are a bit hit & miss, some are outstanding and some are just plain rude and won't go above & beyond unless you regularly tip them. Best staff member for us was the little chap at the Aqua/slide pool who was also in the Irish Bar in the evening. 2 of my 3 kids loved it here (they're aged 10/13) and ask if we are going to go again. The entertainment team were also very hard working.

Down side - Due to it's size I felt the hotel was soul-less, no personal touch and despite the fact that they've thought of everything it doesn't quite gel together right. The forage for food around the foodhall every night can be a bit of a pain but once you work out where to find the things you like are it makes it quicker to move round and acquire it and get to hopefully sit down and enjoy it before it goes cold. The Irish bar entrance area smelt bad all week (like vomit). Our 2 bed family room was only adequately cleaned the whole week, The bunk beds could be a safer design style....thank goodness my kids are old enough to be a bit more safety aware, the furniture was tired and could do with updating but the beds/pillows are super comfy. When we arrived, after booking 2 x two bedded rooms, we were shown to rooms that were what I would assume were the promo rooms - 1 room with a double bed and a sofa bed when I tried to question the buy that showed us to our room he pulled out the sofa bed and indicated towards this and said to come to reception tomorrow - not impressed, so off back to reception I trundled, and spoke firmly about unhappy I was....especially when I had already emailed guest relations twice before our arrival to make sure this wouldn't happen. We were told to go get some dinner and they would sort it, when we asked about our luggage they said they would sort this too, So we got our booked rooms maybe not all our luggage straight away and when I went to guest relations the next day to ask why the room fiasco happened I was told it was because they were at full capacity.....I think not!!!! But what really really spoilt it for us was the constant hassle from the spa/excursions etc guys...every day - morning and afternoon and despite getting the red flag to tie round the parasol or saying a firm no thankyou the days before we were still bugged!!!! ggggrrrr....I don't know if it was their lack of English language but saying my husband's feet were minging whilst pointing to a few hairs on his big toes was not the way to try and seal a deal. But I am not going to blame the hotel totally for this but perhaps setting a time of day when they can access / pester the guests might help some oh and I must not forget to mention the wailing banshee in the lounge bar each evening.

I can understand why people return as again this hotel has everything but would I return - probably not......It was all a bit too much for us - I prefer a smaller hotel with a more personal touch.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank ohwhere2go
Dear Guest,

It seems as though we did not manage to meet your expectations when you came in November and I hope that you did manage to find a hotel more in line with your requirements in terms of size and ambience when you returned in March. Having said that we have made a few changes since your visit and I would like to shed some light on one or two of your comments.

I am very disappointed that you encountered some rude staff giving you the impression that they would only work for tips. Our policy is very clear. All staff will give their best service all the time to everyone and if that service is withheld pending tips then I would want to know about it.

The Irish Bar has been refitted and refurbished in the last couple of months and is now smelling as sweet as a daisy.

I apologise for the mix up with your room. It is too long ago to check details now but this very seldom happens and I know it causes a degree of stress and annoyance to the guests when it does happen so usually I ensure that the Front Office team has everything under control.

The red flag is designed to deter sellers from approaching and disturbing anybody displaying it. We did have a few issues with one or two of the sales people back in November but once this came to our attention it was very quickly resolved.

If you should return to the Nabq area in the near future, please do drop into see me at the RAM when you get a spare moment and look at the changes we have made since your last visit. I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

Tynemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Just returned from this hotel and we thought it was excellent, we will definitely return. I went with my parents, husband and 2 kids aged 3 and 4.
Food - fantastic. Lots of choice from 6 restaurants including Asian, Italian, Mediterrean, German, Egyptian and Thai (have to pay extra for Thai). Especially loved the Asian restaurant. Enjoyed freshly made croissants every morning and fresh donuts and pancakes everyday at 4pm. Also beach bar serves food at lunchtime (pizza, pasta, hotdogs, burgers and salad)
Rooms - the cleaners were excellent leaving little towel decorations for the kids. Room facilities comfortable and very clean (its not like you spend you holiday in the rooms). TV signal not great.
Coffee Bar - One of my favourite things of the holiday with lovely coffees. Waiters go to real effort to make all different types of coffees and decorate them...better than Starbucks!
Pools - Kids pool always clean and lots to do in it. Activity pool very large, relaxation pool quiet, heated pool good, slide pool is very entertaining with 5 types of very large slides!
Beach - Shingle beach but beautiful sea. Loved the very long jetty. The fish are beautiful snorkelling off the end and we even saw an octopus.
Entertainment - the animation team are superb with mini disco time every night and then a show.. The comedy show was my favourite. They also have little events on throughout the day for the kids. They were always very friendly and always made an effort with my kids. They made the holiday extra special! There are usually singers on around the hotel too.
Staff - Fantastic. So helpful and friendly at all times. If you have a problem the staff have it rectified asap.
Trips - we did the dolphin show and glass boat. Simple but good trips for the kids.
Spa - lots of Spa facilities my husband enjoyed an hour massage - he loved it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Mahmoud R, General Manager at Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Emma,

What a lovely picture you paint of you recent holiday. Thank you for sharing it on this forum and I’m sure that anybody with any doubts about the RAM will be a lot more confident now.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2014

This was our first visit and we will be back again next year. We had a superb and relaxing time. The facilities are decent, the food varied {good quality} and the staff very friendly and accommodating. As an example, the room hairdryer was not working - it was replaced within a few minutes of being reported. Its a truly inclusive scenario with all drinks and cocktails covered within your package. We also used the massage services within The Spa and would recommend this {cost us about £60 for 3 sessions}. Always plenty of sunbeds & umbrellas available at the time we went {March 14}. A relaxing pool {which is where we spent most of our time} where the pace is slower {no music/kids/hassle etc.} - if you want all that there is a large pool area. Poolside bars at all. A few things to be aware of - 1. The "free" WIFI - which is only in the reception area, is very slow and unstable - if you want to surf you will need to pay for the full WIFI package. 2. The flies are not that prolific but can be persistent if that annoys you - simple insect repellent/fly swat will sort. 3. Tipping will ensure you are very well looked after {which to be fair you are anyway} - about £1 for a waiter seemed the going rate {not every time} and we left £5 for our cleaner. Its not "expected" but is always appreciated. 4. At the time we went {March 14} the sun goes down at 530pm {but if you get up early you can have a full day in the sun}.

Room Tip: If you want a room near the "relaxing pool" then suggest you say so when booking. To be fa...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Mahmoud R, General Manager at Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear Martin,

Thank you very much for the great review. I am pleased you had an enjoyable and relaxing time in the sun and took full advantage of all the facilities we have here. Any potential guest who is undecided about booking the RAM should find a lot of confidence from your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back again next year.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nabq Bay
Radisson Blu Resort, Sharm El Sheikh
Rixos Sharm El Sheikh
Rixos Sharm El Sheikh
#2 of 32 in Nabq Bay

Been to Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh? Share your experiences!