“don't go if you want to be entertained”

Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Nabq Bay
manchester
“don't go if you want to be entertained”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Ok here goes, got back on Monday after 10 days at this resort. I am going to start with the positives of which there were many. POSITIVES - The rooms were fantastic, spacious and clean. Free safe, small fridge TV. large bed. The people who work in this hotel were the nicest people I have met on holiday couldn't do enough for us. The choice of food was good as there are so many different restaurants to eat in, but the food was not always hot. Speciality's, coffee bars better than Starbucks with as much choice, Ice cream bar, afternoon tea in lounge bar, doughnut bar and my favourite for breakfast freshly cooked croissants. NEGATIVES -ENTERTAINMENT the same singers were on every night in the lounge bar, which has very limited seating, the male (sorry can't remember his name) was ok, the woman Marie was awful! she was russian trying to sing in English and it just didn't work, it was a case of guess the tune! The pools were large but freezing with plenty of sunbeds. There is a heated pool in a sheltered area, it is very small and because it is sheltered it's cold when you get out. We were woken at 5am one morning as they were doing repairs on the roof above our room (I thought a 3rd party would be joining us through the roof) when I rang reception to find out what was going on he just said it had to be done! Again reception staff were very poor in helping us with our transfer pick up time. The alcohol is of very poor quality you would drown before you got drunk. This hotel offers free wi fi but it does not work, very poor wi fi reception. And yes as with any other hotel where there are Russians, they were rude and ignorant. All in all would I go back ...NO

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are worth that little extra
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank salsa42girl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,569)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Norwich
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

Another great stay just as great as last year, food excellent staff so friendly and rooms ok equipped with all necessary items and clean! Facilities first class and staff can not do enough for you, wouldn't be classed as a 5star in England as others have said but for what you pay defiantly worth the money!! The only downside is the wifi is awful if you want wifi for 20 pound I would defiantly recommend having a unit from sinai safari adventures Tim and Janet such friendly people and excellent customer service! Can not wait to return back to this hotel again!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Mahmoud R, General Manager at Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Warmest greetings from the sunny Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh.

Thank-you very much for your kind comments and the “5 out of 5 - excellent” rating you gave our beach resort. We really appreciate your support and the team will be delighted you have recognized their great efforts.

We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you to our hotel again very soon, at which time I hope to speak with you and personally ensuring your holiday here in the sunshine will exceed all your expectations.

Blessings from us all at Pickalbatros hotels..

UK
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Stayed at RAM 1-8 February 2014 in a 3rd floor room overlooking the active pool. The room was decent enough, 2 queen beds pushed together, TV, Mini Fridge, Safe. There was a kettle in the room but unfortunately this didn’t work. The shower was great, very powerful.

Cleaners weren't great, had to ask a couple of times for toilet rolls as we had none.

Restaurants – we preferred the Italian as the pizza and pasta stations were very good, and the only truly ‘hot’ food we had over the week. Unfortunately we both suffered from upset stomachs, and still are even though we’ve been home 3 days now – I didn’t drink any alcohol so can only put it down to the food. The rest of the restaurants had average food, but as usual with a buffet it could be lukewarm and we found a lot of the food lacking in flavour and quite bland in taste. As per the reviews, we tipped on the first night but still that didn’t get us the waiter service for drinks that other people have mentioned. Very often the drink waiters would just be stood around doing nothing and only attending to people they seemed to know, who we can only assume tip regularly? We would have tipped more but never got the opportunity as was never asked if we wanted a drink. The restaurants have signs up advising that as befitting to a 5 star hotel, shorts are not allowed at night time. This was ignored by most, but again this wasn’t a 5 star hotel as I’m sure a 5 star hotel wouldn’t attempt to remove your plate from the table as you were eating (I literally was putting a fork in my mouth) nor would they remove your partners plate whilst you were still eating which happened regularly. Also, one waiter shouted at me for taking salt from a neighbouring table as our table was without – not what you should expect in a hotel of this standard.

The pools were very nice, unfortunately other than the heated pool they were too cold to go in this time of year. The heated pool is quite small, and we found it quite a challenge to find as even members of staff who we asked could not tell us where it was. If you’re going to sit by the active pool then a red flag is a must, we didn’t get one on right away our first day and were harassed 6 times in ½ hour by Spa Staff, Diving School Staff, people selling trips. I know they have to make a living, but when you clearly say ‘no thank you’ to them they seem to take this as an invitation to try and convince you to spend money with them and will not leave you alone.

The animation team organise different activities every day, including water polo, mini golf, table tennis tournaments and quizzes for children and adults, as well as providing lots of evening entertainment for the children. They don’t take themselves at all seriously and that it really is worth getting involved as it does add a much needed fun and social aspect to the holiday.

I found the alcohol to be mainly undrinkable so didn’t bother; my partner didn’t mind the beer and red wine but found the vodka to be quite putrid. I did find that if I was waiting at the bar, and a man was also waiting – it didn’t matter if he was stood behind me, he would be served first, which I assume is because I’m female.

The coffee bar was one redeeming feature, we enjoyed all the coffees and hot / milky drinks – and a bonus was the TV’s which were usually set to football channels at night and showed all the Premiership matches.

Didn’t find the Irish Bar to smell as per other reviews, but we did find that whatever was advertised outside, usually bingo, never seemed to happen. It was difficult to get a seat inside in the lounge, the male singer was quite good - but again the female singer was not – we made a game out of trying to guess what song she was attempting!

Didn’t try the wifi, as we hired a mobile internet unit from Sinai Excursions which was a godsend! £20 for a week (plus a refundable £50 deposit) and it was amazing, super fast internet available and it came in a handy purse which you put over your wrist to keep it with you – we’d have been completely lost without it as everyone we spoke to complained about the internet.

Finally, if you do get ill over there – do not go to the clinic unless you’re happy with a huge bill. I got a mosquito bite which I had a very bad reaction to, and at the same time was vomiting / running the loo. Called into the clinic in the hope of getting some tablets to sort me out, instead they insisted on an antibiotic drip, and what I think was a drip to restore the fluid levels in my body – then presented me with a bill for £595! Luckily I had travel insurance but and managed to agree that I would pay the clinic the excess and they would sort the rest as originally they wanted the full £595 up front, which I did not have and told me that I wouldn’t be able to leave the hotel without paying! Having previously been ill with similar on holiday in Greece and only paying €50 it was quite a shock, so be warned, it is £70 just to see the doctor – if they’d advised me of this up front I might’ve waited a day and gone to the pharmacist instead as this was a lot more than the entire holiday cost!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lou_wafc
St. Andrews
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

Having just returned from a three week stay I can only say you must go, forget the negative posts this is truly an excellent hotel. Food was 1st class and so many choice's. Very clean, never had any form of upset tummy. Drinks are local spirits but premier brand soft drinks and mixer's. We shall definitely return very soon.

Well travelled

• Stayed January 2014
5 Thank st_andrews_7
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to cordially thank you for your very positive summary referring to your recent stay at the Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm-el-Sheikh.

Your feedback is extremely important as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide.

Once again we thank you for all the recommendations. We are looking forward to welcome you again in October.

Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

I read all the positive reviews of this hotel and was really looking forward to my ten days there.
First impressions were good - lovely entrance, fabulous pool, nice gardens.
Our room was not wonderful, but ok
I had booked the hotel because it was advertised as having five restaurants, Asian, Mediterranean, Italian, Tunisian and sushi. What there was were four restaurants serving almost the same food under different names.
The samosas in the Asian restaurant were dumplings the next night, then a Tunisian dish then samosas again. The minced beef was shepherds pie, curried minced beef, beef and couscous and spag Bol. The same dishes appeared night after night, invariably lukewarm. Any meat that was served was fatty and full of gristle. The hotel must have bought up every chicken wing in Egypt.
The hotel was full of people wandering from restaurant tom restaurant taking soup from one, meat from another,veg from a third. By the time we had a complete meal it was cold.
There was no service for drinks. Guests had to go to the Terrace bar and get their drinks before they had their meal.
One night I complained and the chef said he would make me a chicken stir fry - the result was inedible - vegetables and what looked like chicken innards.
The drinks at breakfast hardly had enough strength to come out of the dispenser. When someone complained, they added more concentrate but the next morning it was back to square one.
The only fruit was apples,,oranges and bananas, very bruised
At 8.00 am the bread was stale and the cheese was curled up and dry.
Wine horrible and I could have had ten cocktails and not felt tipsy.
The entertainment - a woman who could not sing and some fifth rate entertainers in the Irish pub
Constant pestering by the spa staff, despite the fact we were given a red flag to display to show we did not want to be disturbed.
The advertised free wifi was almost non existent. Very occasionally there was coverage.
The best thing was the coffee - fabulous selection but it did not make up for the minus points
To add insult to injury, I became unwell the night before I was due to fly home and was treated by the doctor in the hotel - almost £600.00 for a saline drip and three injections, plus pills to take home with me.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank vashti123
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We booked this hotel last minute and got a really good deal. Probably more a 4 - 4.5 star however couldn't fault it one little bit. Weather was gorgeous for January. We had a room close to the Active Pool (which actually wasn't very active due to it being a tad cool) and close to the kids pool. First and second evening we struggled to find a table in any of the restaurants for 6 people (none of the waiters were keen to move tables etc) so we settled in the German restaurant, food wasn't great in this restaurant but you could get your food from any of the restaurants and come back to your table.

On the third night we found the 'Tagine' Restaurant, wow what a find! Food excellent and we stayed in here for our evening meal every night after that. Tipped the waiters a couple of quid a day and they couldn't do enough for us, when they saw us arrive they immediately made up a table of 6 and served drinks to the table whether we wanted them or not! Red/white and Rose wine at this restaurant was lovely. Morrocan food at it's very best with some lovely BBQ food being prepared outside - try the fresh bread rolls from the cave outside this restaurant. the younger members of our party could go and get pizzas from the Italian if they wanted. Lunchtimes were mostly spent at the Beach Cafe (which again was a lovely choice of food), plenty of pasta/pizza/hotdogs/burgers/salad all freshly prepared. Breakfast was just as good and usually we went to the Mediteranean restaurant for this.

Lovely Jetty walk and sea was warmer than the pool and very soothing. Evening entertainment not great (this was held in the Irish Pub) but okay for the time of year (think they had limited animation). We sat upstairs most evenings and listened to the singers (which aren't as bad as some people say) and we tended to play cards/daft games etc.

We went on the Dune Buggy experience which was amazing, thankyou to Nabq Tours (just outside the hotel) Elvis Costello from Nabq Tours organised this and also our transfer to and from the airport - highly recommend you get in touch with him to organise any of your trips - he made everything very pain free!

Our room was fab, we travelled as a party of 6 (4 adults and 2 teenagers) and we had rooms 221 and 228. If you are a family I would highly recommend these rooms as they are ground floor straight out to the Active and Kids pool and a Huge Kingsize bed and bunk beds - rooms were easily big enough for us as a couple with a 19 year old son.

Spent a few afternoons at the Aqua Park which was also excellent and had lots of fun and races down the slides,

Had the King Tut massage and would also highly recommend this, very relaxing and soothing. Also had hair braided on the second day - which I loved and they tightened it up on my last day for free so it lasted a couple of weeks on returning home.

All in all this was an excellent holiday and I would highly recommend to both families and couples of all ages. Looking forward to returning here as soon as we can to experience more of Egypt and take a trip to Soho Square and the Ice Bar.

Thankyou Royal Albatross for an amazing holiday!

Room Tip: 220 to 228 if travelling with children or as a family. These rooms lead straight out onto the kids...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Andrea R

Thank you for your summary about your recent holiday at Royal Albatros Moderna

It’s really a great pleasure for us, that you spent a lovely holiday at our property and that we could meet your expectations and good to hear that our resort with its facilities and services were up to your satisfaction and that you enjoyed your stay.

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This was a great hotel first class facilities and great staff good selection of food from its 7 different resturants, cleansiness 10 out of 10, staff 10 out of 10 I just cannot fault it. it had a massive swimming pool with sunbeds around and a bar ith a good selection of drinks. it had it own private beach with a pier over 100 meters long for people who wish dive, the sandy beach had ample sunbeds and shades

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Huseyin B
Mahmoud R, General Manager at Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh, responded to this review, March 5, 2014

Thank you for your summary about your recent holiday at Royal Albatros Moderna

Radisson Blu Resort, Sharm El Sheikh
Rixos Sharm El Sheikh
Rixos Sharm El Sheikh
#2 of 32 in Nabq Bay

Been to Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh? Share your experiences!