“Disappointing, with lots of room for improvements.”

Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh
Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This was our fourth trip to Sharm though the first time we had been to Albatros Moderna. Our room was large with a huge double bed and a setee that could be made into a put up bed. The curtains struggled to meet and many hooks were missing or broken, we should have got this sorted but past experience is this is a frustrating and wattless exercise - we just therefore cobbled it together and put up with it being lighter earlier than we would have liked, maybe in summer this would be too early! Our bathroom was very tired, the toilet had the cheapest plastic seat imaginable and the shower had a mind of its own both mechanically (it spun back and forward continuously) and the temperature varied from very hot to Luke warm instantaneously - I plumped for baths but would have preferred a shower. There was a bidet though and that was a plus. Our room boy was Abdel who was really pleasant and looked after us well and was always keen to help.
The restaurants were what you expect at an all-inclusive in Sharm - OK but not brilliant. The breakfast was pretty much identical whichever restaurant you went to though the fresh baked croissants at the Italian were terrific. In the evening their offerings were different but not so much that you would really notice, our favourite was Tagine which was sort of Arabic themed - though as I say there wasn't a lot to choose from either. We did go one night to the A La Carte Thai, it was very pleasant but whether it was worth the extra is debateable.
I think both the Spa and the Diving were undertaken by separate concerns from the hotel, the reps for both activities could be a bit of a pain when you were sunbathing and they did seem to hunt in packs! I did have a massage on my first day as I had an annoying sports injury, the massage as far as it went was ok but maybe not worth £50, however the pressure to have further treatments at "discount" was a bit intimidating. I did make use of the gym several times and my impression was that because I wasn't spending any more money there was no need for the staff to be pleasant, and again I felt it was a bit intimidating that they stood about watching and mouthing comments to each other - not at all what we have been used to in Egypt.
Overall we were slightly disappointed with our holiday and though we will definitely be back for a winter break I feel sure we will do more research beforehand and remind ourselves that five star in Sharm is different from five star in most other places.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank McT47
Write a ReviewReviews (6,767)

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Well we stayed at the ram for one week and it was amazing best holiday and hotel I have ever stayed in . Staff so polite and helpful willing to do anything the faculties are world class very big resort the choices are endless beach bar snorkling is a MUST !!. No problems getting sun beds and if u want a relaxing holiday sunbathing just ask for the red flag at recption they will help u . The food is best I have ever had and I am a very fussy eater BBQs nightly and 8 places to choice from was good ice creams and drinks very good just bring your pint class as only serve them in half pints glass overall will be visting this very soon again and again well worth it !

Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here from 27th January to 3rd Febuary after booking a late deal. The hotel is amazing and the resort itself is big. There were 8 restaurants on site along with snack bars/bars/coffee bar. The food was very good although the breakfast was similar throughout all the restaurants. The hotel is very modern, the coffee bar is a lovely place to relax in at night. The Irish bar is very good, the decor is fantastic I was impressed. The beach is very nice and there are always sunbeds available at both the Beach and pool. The hotel has its own jetty which is a long walk to the bottom but well worth it if you want to snorkel.

We had a ground floor room which was clean and tidy, however our room was directly situated near the entrance to the apartments and you could hear everyone walking past which often kept us awake. We had an interconnecting room which was a problem for us as the Russians next door had there television far too loud and we could hear absolutely everything from their room.

Although the weather Wasent the best, we only had two hot days we still manage to go on excursions which were brilliant so we always had something to do.

I would like to say a big thank you to one member of staff at the RAM. Ali from the Mediterranean restaurant made our holiday a brilliant experience. He is such a wonderful and pleasant person who never failed to make us laugh at breakfast/ lunch and dinner.
All staff were very pleasant and although working long hours 15 hours 7 days a week they always had a smile on their faces and seamed to really enjoy there job.

We loved this hotel so much and are really lucky as we met a few people who booked in other hotels we looked at and they were not impressed. At the airport you could overhear other holiday makers talking about there experience at the RAM and how impressed they were with the hotel and facilities. The hotel really does cater for all. We loved this hotel so much that we are already planning our next holiday to return in October.

7  Thank Kat0603
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We have been 3 times and have just booked to go back in June for 2 weeks. We have a now 5 year old son who absolutely loves it, the pool dedicated to kids is brilliant and to be honest all he wanted to do for the whole time we were there.

the staff are lovely and helpful, I gave one of the very hard working gardeners a drink a few times as he was sweating so much but never stopped. from the day I gave him a mere drink, every morning he would make me the most beautiful flower arrangemant and leave it on my balcony. The bar staff do treat you better if you tip, but this is the same wherever you go in Egypt and I am sure many other countries.

We have stayed in The upgrade rooms, this was cos on our first trip we did ask to be moved as we were in a part of the hotel were building work was being done. They moved us straight away and everything was fine. I have found from experience that if you request what you require before you go, then the hotel is very obliging.

The food is very good and there is always something for everyone!

I agree that you should not buy stuff from the hotel as very expensive. if you go outside the hotel there are loads of taxis (although you can walk 20 mins), just ask them to take you to burger king, and opposite burger king there is a supermarket where you can get almost anything at fraction of the cost. ALWAYS agree price for taxi before getting in!

The entertainment in the evening is sparce, but still you can find something.

My teenage daughter who is not coming this year found it boring at night, but if there are a few of you then Naama Bay is about a tenner in cab.

All in all we have found this hotel, clean, fun, friendly and would def recommend it especially if you have younger children as the kids pool is perfect!

Well done ALbatros, we are visiting from 13th to 27th June 2013 cant wait !

Room Tip: If you have little ones, there are a selection of ground floor rooms by the kids pool !
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2013

we have returned to this hotel approx 8 times.Each time there are inprovements for the better. Having been to other hotels in the area this hotel wins hands down on food,you can always find something that you like. the staff are always ready to please. the weather was not on our side this year but that is out of anyones hands. Last year we went the same week and the weather was perfect.We had a large room which had bunk beds in plus a very large double bed number 1458.I think my best room ive had was 1426 as it had sun on the balcony all day.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank copperswood
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We went for two weeks March 2012 and really looking forward to a return visit this February
Good food, even curry at lunchtime if we fancied it! Staff friendly and very helpful, very relaxing, room a bit basic but hoping for a sea view/ pool view this time.

Room Tip: High room pool side better if available
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

As reviewed by others there at the same time as us, weather wasn't great until 2 days before departure so it spoiled the holiday somewhat as there is little to do. Stayed at sultan gardens last year and that just edged it i think despite better facilities here.
The negatives;
Staff should not treat you differently depending on size of tip, I prefer to tip for good service not tip to get good service and that's how it works here. Some of the staff on the main pool bar were downright ignorant - Sunday 3rd feb day shift! No iced coffee unless you were privileged and practically threw a bottle of water at me while absorbed in this younger model at the side of me! Rude :(
Constant hassle from reps to buy excursions etc - solution is not widely advertised but ask reception for a red flag to hang off your parasol. Not allowed to bother you then and it worked a treat.
Size of soft drink cups were like shot glasses, unless again you were privileged! Ridiculous coz all you do is ask for beer and hang on to your glass.
Animation team were just daft, trying to get a massive group of sunbathing tourists to do the conga round the pool in the morning is heading for failure, about one or two joined in but bless em for keeping at it.
We were both ill with violent stomach problems but we think its just the change in diet rather than the food as the hotel was spotless.
Shower was never warm unless you got in before 5.
Expensive to keep your room on, 60 euros! Was about that each to stay for a week lol.
Good points;
Lovely and clean, always being maintained and looked after.
Good sized rooms with very comfy beds, although new bedding could improve this as it was bobbly.
Good choice of food, although I agree that despite the choice of restaurants it was all very similar but not sure what could be done to change this on such a large scale.
Alcohol was ok, I actually really liked the red wine!
Karaoke in the Irish bar should not be missed, hilarious to listen to Russian karaoke.....
Never had to queue for food or tables, and always something available.
Overall a nice hotel, spoiled by silly things and unfortunately for us bad weather didn't help. Highlight for me was the Russian dress sense, fabric remnants? Worst dress sense ever!
Won't be going to Egypt again as once again Thomas cook flights were poor, delayed on runway 3 hours coming home last year and made a refuelling stop in Crete this year making the flight almost 7 hours, just too much for me for a week. Cornwall it is then.....

3  Thank dippydired
#3 of 33 in Nabq Bay
Steigenberger Alcazar
Steigenberger Alcazar
#1 of 33 in Nabq Bay

Been to Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh? Share your experiences!