“A holiday of pure Joy”

Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Royal Albatros is a true oasis in the desert, the only problem is that the Russians have found it too but if you can ignore the race that now appears to have developed a false impression of its status, The Royal Albatros is my recommendation for a great Egyptian experience, the staff just can't do enough to help and join in to make you feel part of their Royal Albatros family. My sons and daughters, my wife and I would like to thank each and every one of you for a fantastic holiday. We will see you again as soon as we can.

Room Tip: It really depends on what you want, lively fun or relaxation. There are rooms to suit everyone as lo...

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We could not have enjoyed this Hotel anymore. The Food was excellent and very plentiful. The Waiters were Brilliant and very helpful. The Facilities were second to non. The Animation Team were Fantastic, Funny and Entertaining. The Rep could not do enough for us. Apart from our Day in Cairo we did not want to leave the Resort.

2  Thank Kevin O
Reviewed October 24, 2012

we stayed at the hotel between 16th and 23rd October for our birthdays booking an economy room ... when we arrived the view from our balcony was a building site and the curtains were not secured properly letting in the sunlight! We went to reception and I offered to pay to upgrade our room and we were shown a selection of rooms to choose from and they were extremely helpful the second room we were shown the shower was broken etc but we eventually found a lovely room we could step out of on to the relaxation pool or the small heated pool (room 737 at an extra £50) it was also close to the aqua park which I would recommend the beds are AMAZING and they play a selection of music all day which makes a change from the panpipes at the other pool! the slides are also lots of fun and there were enough mats etc for everyone to have a go.

Ignore any review that says bad things about the food ! there are 5 places to eat for dinner included and a Thai which you can pay for. My other half and I have completely different taste in food and we always managed to find something to eat in the same place each evening I would say the Tagine was our favourite serving rotisserie chicken each night as well as other meats from the grill.

The hotel seemed ideal for families the kids could go up and get ice creams and milkshakes throughout the day and they showed films on a large cinema screen each evening to keep them entertained. They also have a crepe and doughnut bar open for 2 hours a day which is lovely if you have missed lunch!
The alcohol is RANK that is all I can say the draught lager is ok but the vodka tastes the same as the gin and the wine tastes the same as the vinegar !

as a couple we were a bit bored in the evening they had some women shrieking each evening who were not that bad in small doses we always went and had a lush coffee after our dinner it is such a nice change for all inclusive to have a coffee bar !!

Ok everyone has mentioned Russian people and I would never agree with judging everyone the same but I can honestly say I did not come across a polite person from this country during my stay! I watched them pulling lumps of coral out of the sea even after I told them it was £1000 fine because the fish need it!! they said " i know! in perfect english I saw a child smash a glass and his Russian mother stepped over it and let people (and children) walk over it she didn't even make anyone aware and we also had a spa treatment while we there after being promised a romantic massage and use of the facilities ..... nope the Russians think it is acceptable to bring three small children into the sauna and steam room ! and we ended up going mad and walking out when the 8 year old boy in the jacuzzi kept swimming about and kicking us both! the staff in there were fab offering us a free return but they should not be allowed in there in the first place!
DO book at least snorkelling with bright shark diving centre we had such a good day and even tried a 6 meter dive for a fraction of the price Thomas Cook were offering and they were brilliant .
This hotel would never ever be a 5 star in the UK but you would also not get a week there for the price we paid if it was staff were lovely the sun was shining most of the time you get more than what you pay for just from the lush huge beds had the best weeks sleep :)

Room Tip: 737 is nice location there may be better rooms but this was the fourth one we looked at
7  Thank hayteddies
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Just returned form two weeks after staying in this hotel for the second year running. To be honest it was not the first choice as we have had better holidays in sister hotels in the Pick Albatross group over the past 6 years. Having not being able to get family rooms in the Dana Beach in Hurghada, and also having read about changes at this hotel we though we would give it another go.
Well I have to say we are really glad we couldnt get in at the Dana, because we have had a fantastic holiday and the changes make this hotel a first chioce for us now.

Heres a quick run through-

Check in - 5 minutes. very swift and helpful!!

Hotel cleanliness - top class, cleaners none stop!!

Room - No 145, although a bit dated (not one of the new referbs). was very clean and spacious. Cleaned every day, fresh towels every day.

Food - What are some people on???? the food is great and more than enough choices, including lots of english styles. Would you believe Beef Wellington and Yorkshire puddings on our last night!!! Must say that the Italian and the Indian was my fav.

Drinks - A Lot better than last year. Ice cold good lager on draught!! Spirtits still not International but better. Wine, Ive had worse!!

Entertainment - Evening entertainment was ok in the beach bar although a little late on the kids disco.
Russain singers in the main lobby are not the best and are too repetitive.

Pools ect - Great!!!!

Staff - Cannot be bettered. Mohamed Kamal and Sharky are top Top Class!!

If there was any improvemnts from me it would be to create a couple more bars that are Air conditioned. Change the Russain singers!! provide free wifi, billiards and golf to guests as they were far far too expensive.

All in all we will return to this hotel again, and I would recomend to anyone to try it.

2  Thank kevin r
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Ok well after reading lots of extremely positive reviews on trip advisor my partner and I decided to take our first trip to sharm and stay at the Royal Albatros Moderna.

We managed to get a last minute deal two days before costing £650 each for a week in a 5* hotel so we were very pleased with our deal.

Our criteria was hot weather, lots to do and a variety of food and drink on an all inclusive basis.

We got the weather! wow, just under 100 degrees every day. In terms of activities we were never board, with the aqua park especially!! bearing in mind we are both 30 we felt like we were kids again and were in the aqua park every day practically, and the evening entertainment was quite good too. Two nights were particularly impressive with a fire show (amazing) and a snake show too (my partner was actually dragged on stage for this). We snorkled too which was something we were really looking forward to and on site you can walk a few hundred metres down the jetty off the beach and snorkel around all the coral and see al the beautiful fishes, what an experience!

Ok the bad points about this hotel which are important mentioning

The all inclusive drinks are horrendous, the wine is like vinegar and my partner being a huge wino really ruined our trip. the cocktails again were awful and the only thing that tasted slightly drinkable was the lager but not something a lady really wants to be drinking every night. We brought with us a few bottle of nice wine from home which thankfully lasted a few nights but after that is was disappointing.

Food ok big issue here. We are extremely careful and after reading lots of reviews with the same response from the hotel saying it was the water and not the food we only washed our teeth with bottled water. and did not touch the tap water to the point of which would would even antibacterial our hands after washing them. But yet despite this after day 2 we both got the eygptian belly.. cramps and lots of time heating the toilet seat which was not a pleasant experience. We bought some tablets from the chemist so by day 5 we were sort of back to normal but this was a horrible experience to go through and on holiday isnt something you really want to bear through. My only thought is that the food is prepared with tap water and we saw the staff using it to clean equipment with so would make sense.

The health spa is very dated and the gym leaves something to be desired. By UK standards is would not be allowed to open seeing as I am a qualified personal trainer I was shocked at the sheer ignorance of health and safety. the bench press area had actually slats missing in the floor and was covered up by a towel! 90% of the equipment was also not working so a few dumbells and a couple of running machines was about as good as it got.

In terms of the food selection there was lots of choice but due to our bellies we ended up living on chips, pasta, pizza and burgers as we were concerned about the hygiene. The ice cream is lovely and also the doughnuts and crepes are very good, for breakfast I would only venture for bread and omlettes and the meat including the fish often looked very undercooked so we found that we were checking everything and would leave it all, which judging by the mountain of plates everywhere people did the same.

We often stay in 5 * hotels all over the world and this hotel is not a 5* by our standards, a good 3* at best.

We met two fantastic couples who made our holiday one of the best ever so thanks to Billy and Lucy and Adam and Becca.

So if you decide to stay at theis hotel you now know the good and the bad and I hope this is as neutral as possible with pro's and con's. I wrote this two weeks after we got back as I wanted to reflect when my digestive system was back in proper order!!

We would not stay here again and in truth wouldn't go back to egypt again either. If you are female and blonde its not a pleasant experience leaving the hotel that's all I would say!

Room Tip: Our top tip is bring your own alcohol! room wise they all seemed well placed. poolside ones were the...
4  Thank VickyandJames
Reviewed October 22, 2012

3rd visit to the Royal Albatros Moderna this year, the hotel gets better each time I go back. Staffs are so friendly and remember your face it’s nice to feel welcome when returning. I emailed the hotel beforehand requesting a room looking over the active pool that has been newly refurbished and we got exactly what I had asked for.

The hotel is clean, and the staff really do go out of their way to ensure your stay is the best possible. The cleaner knocked our door every day asked if everything was OK and in the evening to change beach towels, I’ve forgotten his name but he done a great job.

The waiters in the bar areas were exceptional and really looked after us and truly made our stay enjoyable, in particular we would like to say a special thank you Ahmed Akram and little Mohamed who always brought us over drinks over when they were getting low, also the guys in Active pool bar always looked after us. It’s nice to Management are around especially at meal times and interact with everyone which was nice.
I would like to say a huge Thank you from Becky to Roshdy Wali who helped us out throughout so much on my holiday he was a star. Also Ahmed Elhamole who went out of his way to look after us making sure everything was ok. Thank you for helping us out with the cancelled flight and sorting out a room with the manager. Sahban was so helpful to me throughout my holiday too!

Animation have got much better since May, the staff are more friendly and always wanting to talk to staff making you feel welcome and join in with activities. Chloe and Kerri were amazing you two really did make me laugh and enjoyed my Birthday celebrations with you. Entertainment in the evening still needs to be sorted out a bit though.

Only fault with the hotel is no free Wi-Fi . They should have free Wi-Fi in the lobby, I paid for an hour but only manage to get on the internet for 15 minutes as it is really slow and wouldn’t connect. Overall though the hotel is lovely, all the staff needs to be rewarded as they work so long hours and have a smile on their face.
Can’t wait to return next year and try out the new restaurant that opened a couple of days after we left.

3  Thank Bekz_S
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed at The Royal Albatros Moderna for 9 nights from 25/09/12-04/10/12 and had a wonderful holiday. Our party of 3 consisted of myself and my sister (both in our 30's) and our 88 year old grandmother and due to her age we tend to stay in the hotel for the majority of the holiday.

This hotel has so much variety whether that be in food, bars or pools there is a lot to choose from. Agreeing with previous posts, you have to be realistic; this is Egypt and not Finland!...the 5 star rating is going to be different. Nevertheless, I would still rank it as a 4 star.

Positives......Food was plentiful and varied with so many different restaurants. Drinks were as expected and just ok, we drank duty free for the majority. Spa and beauty salon (although may look a little basic) were of a good standard and excellent value for money,but you must haggle on the price. Snorkling was out of this world and definitely a must......and finally the staff, from the moment we arrived in the hotel they could no do enough for us and we were always greeted with a smile. No tipping was ever expected and we found the waiting on and bar staff (who work very long hours with no days off for up to 3 months) welcoming and always had a smile. I would particularly like to thank Rami (Irish bar/ Aqua Pool) and Sayed (Activity Pool and Reception bar) for their excellent service.

Negatives......The Animation team,they were awful. They are supposed to bring everyone in the hotel together to have fun,but some of them just looked utterly bored, uninterested and on some occasions very rude. Admittedly the venue for the evening entertainment was unsuitable as it was too far to walk and too small for a hotel of this size.

If the animation had been better I would have given 5 stars and would definitely return in the future, as all other aspects were very good and great value for the money we paid.

Room Tip: We had 741 which had the heated pool at the front door and the relaxation pool at the patio. This wa...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
#3 of 33 in Nabq Bay
Rixos Seagate Sharm
Rixos Seagate Sharm
#2 of 33 in Nabq Bay

Been to Royal Albatros Moderna Sharm el-Sheikh? Share your experiences!