“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Nabq Bay
England, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2005

I travelled to the resort last December with my family. Went on recommendations from travel agent. Had planned another trip to Dominian Republic but were persuaded to try the resort. We were pleased with the price etc. and looked forward to the holiday.
On arrival it was a bit manic at the airport. My advise is to keep your family close to you, especially young children as they could easily get lost in the mayhem.
The airport porters will try and fleece you, so if you do wish to use them have some small currency available.
The trip from the airport to the resort was short, which was good. The accommodation was clean.
The resort was not too busy. The entertainment staff tried their best, but with the same holiday makers getting involved every time it became a bit labourious.
The swimming pools were absolutely freezing. Now I'm not a wimp when it comes to cold water, but this was ice cold. The evidence was shown by the fact that very few dared to venture in to the pool thoughout the holiday. This was very disappointing. My son loves the pool and it's what alot of families go away for. Not to be able to use the pool without freezing was a massive disappointment. Honestly my skin was buring when when I came out from the water as it was so cold.
Food was average. Most staff were friendly and would try to help out.
No mini bar as advertised at time of booking.
Night time entertainment, well ermm.
I hope the resort has improved.
If you plan to go Quad biking, top tip, make your own way to one of the many hire outlets. Haggle for a price and the guides will take you out. Three of use went and it was great. bonus is you can go as fast as your skill level as you do not have a big group to slow you down. On our was in from biking there were massive groups of fifty or so in one line!
After this experience I doubt i will return to Eygpt again. I could gone on about lots of other minus points about the resort.
If I did go again I would probably go self catering or half board and stay near the town centre.

• Stayed December 2004
17 Thank paulnixon73

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2005

We stayed at the hotel for our honeymoon, and were definitely not disappointed. The hotel staff couldn't have been more helpful around the hotel and once you got to know them, you learn that the Egyptians have a wicked sense of humour. The hotel was extremely clean, rooms were large, serviced everyday and the air conditioning was a godsend in the heat! We had an upgrade as it was our honeymoon, and we stayed in the Marine Club rooms opposite the beach, which included a massive bed, our own garden space and a sea view. The hotel restaurants served excellent food, especially the French restaurant, but make sure that you take you wine cork with you when you visit La Brasserie, as you received a free bottle of wine (wines are very expensive in the hotel). Unless you want to take your life in your hands with Egypt's lovely blue taxis to get to Naama Bay, get the hotel's shuttle bus instead - it costs about £5. Overall a fab hotel and a fab country.

Stayed June 2005
25 Thank Hayley
Huddersfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2005

We have just returned from a brilliant stay at the Golden Resort (AI) in Sharm El Sheik. As I had many questions before we set off, I’ll talk you through our experience and hopefully answer some of the queries I’m sure you’re mulling over…

The Airport

Having read some of the “nightmare” stories left on most review sights about Sharm’s airport – I was dreading our arrival. However, if like us you’re used to going to small Greek Islands for a Self Catering Holiday, then you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

The Airport is organised and air conditioned. Even though British Reps aren’t aloud to meet you in the building (it’s connected to a military base,) an Egyptian Rep who speaks good English is there and will show you where to get your visa (if you need one) or where to go for Passport control.

We wanted to visit Ras Mohammed, so we purchased a visa at £10 each. Contrary to popular opinion, we were asked what currency we’d like to pay in.

We arrived at about 7pm local time on Monday evening and this may be why the airport seemed so quiet. By the time we went to collect our luggage, our bags were already going round the belt and we weren’t pestered by anyone as we lifted them off. However, my partner did get accosted by a man as we walked from the airport to the bus, who tried to take his bag for him. After telling him no several times, he let go. Just make sure that you hold onto your bag unless you want to pay for a porter service. (Interestingly, he didn’t offer to help any of the women – I was struggling with my bag and may well have paid him!)

The coach journey was uneventful until we reached our destination and found out or bags had been off loaded at the wrong hotel. (Apparently this happens a lot and it doesn’t seem to matter how well you label them!) Don’t panic if it happens to you. The wonderful First Choice Rep and his colleague Mohammed sorted it out and we had our luggage within the hour.

The Rep: John Baxter

A wonderful, wonderful Rep – the best we’ve ever had. He works really hard and is a credit to First Choice. Can’t say more than that!

The Hotel.

People who’ve said the Golden Resort doesn’t live up to its four star classification must have stayed at a different hotel! Seriously though, as I mentioned earlier, we normally go to small Greek islands where you’re lucky to get a shower curtain – so this place was a palace to us!

The staff work very, very hard and are always polite and friendly. Whalid (sorry if I didn’t spell your name right) deserves a special mention. He runs the animation team and puts a lot of effort into keeping guests entertained. If you go to the Golden Resort then do a session of water gymnastics for me!

The cleaners constantly clean everything and despite being in the middle of the desert, I didn’t see a speck of dust for two weeks. Everyday we’d return to our room to find a sculpture on the bed, made from towels. Everything from rabbits to crocodiles!!

The pools are huge, with a quiet pool near to the restaurant and a more lively pool with a swim up bar at the top of the complex. They’re set in the most beautiful gardens you could ever imagine. Each area coloured by delicate blossoms and green grass (in the desert!!) My only complaint was that the huge waterfall and a system of streams that run around the pools were turned off. Officially for maintenance – but we were told later that so many cancellations after the bomb meant the complex couldn’t afford to run the pumps.

The restaurant caters for most tastes, although it does get a little repetitive if you’re staying for two weeks. However, that’s no bad thing because it gave us the incentive we needed to leave the complex. We ate at the Italian al la carte restaurant and pizzeria across the road at the Radisson SAS twice (Golden resort guests get a 25% discount on food.) And we ate in Naama Bay twice too.

The food at the Radisson was wonderful and relatively cheap. You could get a main course for around five pounds (sterling.) Drinks are not so cheap though. A bottle of Egyptian wine set us back £30.00 and a thimble full of Baileys (about half the size of a UK measure) set us back £4! There’s a 300% tax on wine and a 400% tax on spirits, so if you’re venturing out of the AI complex stick to local beer which isn’t bad and about £2 a bottle.

In Naama bay we ate at Pizza Hut and the Hard Rock Café. Both were nice but if you’re planning to eat at the Hard Rock on a Friday or Saturday go early. We were queuing out the door and it took two hours to get a table. (Killing time at the bar meant I couldn’t see the table by the time we sat down to eat!!) Drinks weren’t as expensive here and the fellers could get a pint!

Naama and Nabq

Naama bay is very, very lively. I’d read on web sites that it’s a five star resort where Tony Blair has taken his holidays. To me it’s a cross between Las Vagas and Blackpool in the sun. No bad thing, if that’s what you’re into – but sorry Tony, it did nothing for me!

The national park area of Nabq is beautiful but I’m afraid the area where the hotel’s located isn’t as picturesque. The Golden Resort is an oasis in the middle of a building site. Don’t get me wrong, you can’t hear any building, you can’t even see any while you’re in the hotel grounds. But if you’re into taking a stroll amongst lovely scenery, then this isn’t the place for you. The scenery under the water however, is fabulous.

Beaches, Diving and Snorkelling

If you have no intention of putting your head under water then forget Sharm right now! The world under the sea is where all of Sharm’s beauty and magic lies.

The Golden Resorts beach is further than the brochure states but the free BBB (Blue Beach Bus) is always on hand to take you on the two minute journey. The beach itself is pretty, although the sand is course and hurts your feet.

A jetty will give you access to the water as the coral comes right up to the shore. You mustn’t stand on it. Even touching the coral can kill it and we’ve already lost 60% of the worlds coral reefs. It really angered me to see people bashing it with their flippers, or holding onto it as they snorkelled.

From the jetty you can see all kinds of fish and underwater life – but it’s not until you get under the water that the magic happens. The hotels coral is beautiful – covered with every colour fish. Most are harmless and those that do sting won’t come near you unless you start bothering them. The key to safe snorkelling is to look, not touch.

Having never snorkelled before I don’t mind admitting I was very nervous about going down the jetty ladder for the first time – but I wouldn’t give it a second thought now. The best advice is to swim at around 4pm when the breeze has dropped and the currents are calmer. At this time there’s always a lifeguard to watch out for you as well.

We took a beginners scuba diving course though First Choice and a snorkelling trip to Ras Mohammed. Both were brilliant and worth every penny.

Security

With check points everywhere, a barrier at each hotel entrance and an armed guard at the door to your hotel you’ll feel safe. Make sure you take your passport everywhere, just in case the police want to check your identity.

Taxis

We always took a “Limo” as the prices are set out on a list displayed in the car, it’s clean, air conditioned and you won’t pick up anyone off the street on the way. Good luck if you decide to risk a blue and white cab.

Shopping

I would tell to anyone looking for either a good bargain or a taste of “real” Egypt to go shopping in the Bazaars of Sharm Old Market. They get fewer tourists here so they’re willing to negotiate prices a bit more than they might in Naama Bay.

Shop keepers will shout “Asda Price” and “How Now Brown Cow” to get your attention, but don’t be alarmed – even if you don’t want to go into their shops, they’ll still stop to talk to you.

At first people approaching you can be a little scary, but if you say “no thank you” in a polite way, they’ll leave you alone. “La a shukeran” (forgive spellings as I’m trying to write it the way you pronounce it) is also good as it means no thank you in Arabic.

Remember Girls – this is a Muslim country. Here woman should not tempt man – men aren’t expected to exercise any degree of self control, so if you don’t want to be ogled or followed by a randy local, keep your legs and shoulders covered when you’re walking in the old market. Naama bay is more cosmopolitan so you’ll probably be fine in a mini skirt.

If you do see something you like then ask the price and haggle. I know we’re all terribly polite in the UK, but they mark prices up for that reason. I got 100 Egyptian pounds off a belt I wanted. The shop keeper was happy, and so was I.

I probably wouldn’t brows in shops if you have no intention of buying anything –Shop keepers are very friendly and welcoming, but you’ll only get out empty handed if they can’t find what you’re looking for.

The Cairo Trots!!

There were four in our party and three of us had it. I’d say between 50 and 70 percent of the hotels guests got the trots at some point during their stay.

The person, who didn’t get it from our group, never eats salad – maybe that was something to do with it, maybe not. What we do know is how to get rid of it if you do find yourself on the loo a little too frequently.

We were eating packets of Imodium and getting no where, when a couple told us to walk to the pharmacy and get the local cure. To get to the pharmacy go out of the Golden Resorts main entrance, turn left and walk about 15 minutes down the road. (You’ll also find a handy supermarket there as well.) Ask the pharmacist for Antinal – it’s brilliant. Within a day we all felt better. It’s only about 250 LE or £2.50 so get a couple of packets in case you have a relapse!!

Tipping:

Remember this is a poor country. People work hard for little pay, and send everything back to Cairo to support their families. If people are doing a good job, tip them.

Staff here don’t expect to be tipped and will often be reluctant to take your money. We normally left five Egyptian pounds (50p) each day at lunch and dinner, gave the cleaner ten every couple of days (£1) and 50 when we left (£5). We also gave the bar staff and towel staff a few quid every so often. For that we got fluffy towels and great service.

All in all:

We are two couples in our late 20’s who had a great time. The staff were brilliant and we made lots of new friends. The weather was excellent (high thirties everyday) and we didn’t see a cloud for 2 weeks.

A brilliant hotel for couples and young families. Go there if you want to relax, enjoy the sun, snorkel and dive.

• Stayed September 2005
89 Thank Bambiex
Jersey Channel islands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2005

My husband and i with 2 children aged 10 and 13 stayed at this great hotel we were there when the explosions went off and the hotel was just brilliant, we couldnt of asked to be treated better.All round is clean and spottless toilets at pool areas are the cleanest i have seen any where,the bedrooms were enormous we had 2 rooms one with a king size bed with pleanty room left besideand the kids had 2 queen size beds in there rooms which was just as big as ours.The fridge was kept well stocked with a variety of drinks and chocolate, the staff were excellent and you were looked after all the time and tip wise yes we tipped at the bar but tips were only really expected when you left to go home which is the norm in most places you go for holidays. I cant really say much more except what a wonderfull holiday and we made no secret of what we felt about the place when we left as we said we would definately be back and would not stay any where else than the Radisson SaS beach side one which is only bed and breakfast but eating there is not that expensive and the choice of places to eat is excellent and love to go on but running out of space but think easter is looking good for us if not summer again.

• Stayed July 2005
18 Thank Ashley P
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2005

We were unsure about travelling to Sharm just after the bombing but we were glad that we didnt cancel once we saw the complex. Everything about the hotel was excellent. The rooms were large, cleaned daily and air con was always available. The restaurant was clean and spacious with plenty of good food at mealtimes (Snacks were at the poolbar during the rest of the day and upstairs during the late evening) Staff were always friendly but not intrusive and could not do enough for us. The pools and Spa were great and we can recommend the massage (at an extra cost) it was well worth it.
The pool and evening entertainment was good fun but the guy had to work really hard as there were so few people at the hotel. He was excellent as was the First Choice rep. JB All the staff were really helpful when we were hit by Egyptian tummy. They prepared special coffee to help and if that didnt work they provided medication which instantly did the trick. Overall an excellent 2 weeks. We would definitely return, preferably very soon.

• Stayed August 2005
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2005

The radisson sas is a lovely place...but unfortunately was a tad empty after recent occurences in sharms naama bay. I cannot express the gratitude to the reception staff here who went out of their way to help us when the cash point at radisson ate our card. They did get it back for us. So BEWARE of the CASH POINT outside the hotel. It does not like certain cards. The food at the Italian a la carte restaurant is fantastic and try the desert(choc and white choc in basket) Yummie or what. Again the staff were brilliant and service was very good. The rooms were kept very clean and you had a different shape on the bed covers everyday, the swans in peticular...was a favourite and they also left flowers which was a nice touch. If you travel with Thomas Cook try the 2 day trip called Jewel of the Nile. Its amazing! You get to see the pyramids at Giza, the Sphinx, Sakkara(the step pyramid). The amazing light show and you stay at the le Meridien hotel with a view of the pyramids. aswell as a trip to the museum in cairo where the tutenkamens treasure is. This was approx $250.00 per person(adult) $117.50child. It is by coach but well worth it by all means. I do recommend the Radisson the grounds are well kept and beautiful with many different flower and plants and waterfalls. The pool is very large...but get their early as the Italians tend to take the sunbeds at dawn! The hotel is on the beach but be warned there is a pool to the left where you can swim do not walk on the coral which is most of the beach front as you will be told off.....there is no clear warning of this.....Go along the jetty for the best swim, if you are a strong swimmer you can take a pair of goggles and a snorkel ,look at the coral, with a 50ft drop, it is amazing see how many fish are swimming with you. I will never forget it, truly an amazing sight.....For us this was the best holiday destination yet, even the macdonalds is better!!!!! Try it for youself I'm sure you will agree....

• Stayed August 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank darbs
West Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2005

The hotel is overated at 3 stars!: The grounds are well landscaped and that is the only thing going for it.
The majority of the guests (at the time we were there) were Russian who can obtain a 7/10 night package half board for $200 (US) and made for a very downmarket feel to the whole place. Only 2% Brits with most other guests from Italy. The food was very poor generally and the buffet restaurant was worse than any 3 star Spanish hotel you will have ever stayed in: If you like queing with overweight Russians who compete with one another to see how much you can stuff on one plate (and thats just the women) then don't wait to book. Most of the staff were friendly and helpful but all were constantly on the look out for money making opportunities from you.
The rooms are very basic and in need of refurbishment.
The beach is scruffy and it is not possible to swim in the sea unless you access via the jetty and therefore not suitable for children.
It is a 20 minute Taxi ride to Namma Bay (cost £5 each way) and since there is nothing at all within walking distance of the Hotel that is where you'll be heading every night. I would not stay at this hotel again or in this area of Sharm El Sheikh: Sorry if you have already booked but best you know!!

• Stayed March 2004
Sultan Gardens Resort
Sultan Gardens Resort
#20 of 232 in Sharm El Sheikh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,993 reviews

Been to Radisson Blu Resort, Sharm El Sheikh? Share your experiences!