“Very good but not 5*”

Parrotel Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Me and my partner have just returned from our stay in the Radisson Blu hotel. I would like to give my review a 3.5 rather than a 4 - however as this option is not available, I do not feel that it deserves a 3 - hence selecting 4.

The Hotel

First impressions are very nice - we were greeted with a lovely cold drink and an ice cold flannel - lovely when its 40degrees outside. We were shown to our room very quickly and were given an excellent service straight away.

The upkeep of the garden and communal areas is lovely - very well kept and tidy.

I do feel that the staff were very helpful at all times - always keen to please you and wanted to do everything they could to help you enjoy your stay.

The Room

We stayed room 7165 - apparently a free upgrade which we could not complain about at all. I do feel that the room itself was a bit on the shabby side. For example the toilet moved away from the wall when you sat on it and the shower door did not shut properly, which caused water to go all over the floor. In addition the curtains were a little stained and the patio door had seen better days. However we were comfortable in this room and it was cleaned on a daily basis by a very helpful and friendly gentleman.

The Food

I am a very fussy eater so maybe I am not the best person to comment on the food - however I have stayed in many Sharm el Sheikh hotels in the past and the food is not terrible at all in comparison - more of a selection would have been welcomed though as me and my partner did get a bit bored of the same type of meals each night.

I was impressed with the fresh pasta at dinner times - it was prepared in front of you and you could choose your ingredients. The same at breakfast with the eggs and omelets.

We did eat in the Italian restaurant on two occasions, we had a four course set menu which was very nice and tasty. One of the waiters at this restaurant worked so hard and was so helpful - always running up and down to assist each table of guests.

The Entertainment

One of the girls who was part of the entertainment team, Cheryl, was lovely and very friendly. She made the effort to stop and chat to you each day, and was always very helpful if you needed to ask anything. We took part in some of the events including a Bingo event one night - which I did feel was a little on the cheesy side.

Overall I do not agree that the Radisson Blu is 5* - I would say that if further attention was given to the rooms and the selection of food - I would change my opinion, however at the moment I would say a 4* at most. However, please do not let this put you off as we had a very enjoyable and relaxing holiday.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank L W
Write a ReviewReviews (3,536)

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Lets talk about the elephant in the room first...the food. The basic AI package means you eat in Olivos restaurant which could do with a refresh. The food itself was very average, the first couple of nights there was hardly any hot dishes available - partly due to gluttony of other guests but also due to food not being replenished quickly enough. Although you won't go hungry, I found the food is just not inspiring to want to go and eat there every night. Even after a complaint to the manager which got us a complimentary set menu at the two a la carte restaurants, I was still disappointed as it turned out they serve the same set menu - same food, different location!

On a positive note, by the end of our holiday the food had started to improve and on my final night I actually felt I had a really nice meal.

The grounds and setting of the hotel are beautiful. Lots of landscaped gardens to walk around in the evening. They are well kept by a team of industrious gardeners.

I can't fault the staff who work at the hotel, everyone always has a smile on their face and will spend time to talk to you. Although everyone wants you to write their name here, those that made our holiday great know who they are.

The poolside and evening entertainment was run by a new company called exotic treat entertainment - a tough job to please many different groups of travellers. But by the end of the holiday we had totally embraced their enthusiastic approach and had taken part in most things.

The only other gripe was our room, we had booked a two bedroom suite to find on check in that the style of room we wanted was only a 1 bed. The staff couldn't have been more helpful in offering us options, but this was a fundamental error in their brochure and will be taken up directly with Club Carlson.

So in summary, definitely not 5* and definitely not up to the corporate image of a radisson. However, improve the food and update some of the more tired areas and this will be a lovely holiday destination.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We booked Radisson Blu following recommendation from our holiday company Longwoods that it was a luxury 5* AI. I'm 7 months pregnant and was on holiday with my husband and 2 year old son.

We arrived at 1730 after a long and hot transfer, now I am obviously pregnant and it was clear my son was irritable but no drink or even a seat were offered during check in which I thought was poor. The hotel lobby was dark and scruffy and smelled of stale smoke. The windows and revolving door had grubby finger prints all over. We were given no map or any information about the hotel or facilities.

We were taken to our room (marine club room) walked in and the room was not clean, dirty floor, grubby finger prints on mirror, bathroom was gross....mould on tiles, dirty shower and mouldy, manky toilet brush left by toilet I was ready to be sick!! Phoned reception who apologised and sent someone to clean. His exact words were what is your problem? How rude! Anyway room was cleaned and we thought ok let's just freshen up and have dinner. That evening I went to adjust the reading light and the bulb came out broken in my hand, that could have been my son I was not happy....it was also red hot very dangerous.

We were on AI so went to Olives restaurant. The restaurant is supposed to be air conditioned inside...not the case it was baking hot. The food was awful. Hardly any choice, too afraid to eat the meat as it was sitting out in the heat. Me and my son ate bread rolls and potatoes!! Next morning same hot restaurant and as a result the milk had gone sour. A lunchtime we went to the snack bar at the pool bar....it was a guy standing outside in the hot sun with a bowl of chips, chicken nuggets and some salad....covered poorly with cling film and flies all over it! I cannot understand why they would do this? at this point I was genuinely worried for mine and my boys health...it was only going to be a matter of time before we got sick.

That day we got on the phone to our holiday company and asked to be moved. We were moved to the Savoy in Soho Square....what a difference!!! This is when our holiday began.

I would not recommend this hotel, it was the worst place I have stayed. The staff are rude and unhelpful and rooms and food awful.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank 1977kk
Anwar H, Front Office Manager at Parrotel Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Dear 1977KK,
Thank you for sojourning with Radisson Blu Resort Sharm El Sheikh.

We try to appreciate your comments but it seems that your experience was at the opposite of the hundreds of happy and satisfied customers hosted during the mentioned time, and that is quite surprising, especially when referring to cleanliness and quality of food offering and our marine club rooms.

However, there are a few points on which I need to bring clarification to ensure the understanding of all. For clients who book All Inclusive package, we do hand over during the check in process, a comprehensive informative letter related to all services included in their package. and a map describe all the hotel facilities; more offer the front desk give a full and clear information for all our guest. what i understand from my investigation that you already from the day first ask to change to another hotel during your way to the hotel.

We do hope that time will ease and reverse your decision, as there are large numbers of satisfied clients who post genuine feedback here, rating Radisson Blu Resort Sharm El Sheikh as a good hotel.

Anwar Hawary, Front Office Manager

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I chose the "Radisson Blu Sharm El Sheik" because of the high standards and International brand experienced in other locations. The rating provided by Olympic Holidays was a 5 star Superior and sadly, given my experience of a wide range of International hotels, this was really no more than a 3 star.

On a positive note the resort is in a good position, well equipped and designed, accomodation in line although is starting to creek (leaking shower and broken tiles), main restaurant functional and nicely positioned, outside areas maintained and easily accessed. The staff were all very accomodating and enthusiastic to please, making sure clients were happy with the level of service.

Given the obvious political situation in Cairo it was clear on arrival that the hotel was only a third full, mainly with British visitors. I had learnt that 50% of visitors were usually Russan and flights had stopped into Sharm due to a minimal threat to tourists. This had an overall effect on the choice of food in the main restaurant which made it less than adequate to accept. It was also very obvious that some of the food prepared for lunch had in fact been reheated for the evening meal which I feel was poor. I personally stuck to salads and food i knew would be fine however to those that wanted to take a chance they experienced a bland taste, so i was told by other guests in the hotel.

At the time of arrival I learnt that the "Entertainment Team" had all been sacked and a new team had been appointed. The new team were a mixture of three young English/Irish girls and two Egyptian men, I personally thought they were doing a good job although one of the girls and one of the men were sacked five days in and two new entertainment staff were employed the day before I left. I personally think the girls would benefit from one of them having more experience as the entertainment could have been one step better. In my view scheduling of Bingo and Kareoke, albeit funny at the time, was a little like being at Butlins rather than an International branded hotel.

In summary, the staff and entertainment crew did their best to make visitors feel welcomed but I have concerns that the Olympic Holidays brochure is reflecting a higher rating than the level received. The Radisson Blu reputation may find it is impacted longer term if standards are left to remain at the same level, perhaps a review maybe in order? Care should be taken on the range and quality of food, even if the hotel is at 30% capacity, lets not forget visitors are paying for 5 star service!

I hope my views are taken constructively and action taken as this hotel does have huge potential to be something people will come back to year on year!

Room Tip: Pool facing is worth paying for!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Xtremiti

Dear 3zero4,
Many thanks for the time that you have taken to share your experiences and comments in the Trip Advisor Review following your stay at our resort.

It was a pity to learn about your disappointment in many aspects of our service, therefore please accept our heartfelt apologies for areas, where we didn't meet your expectations. Should your complaints have been raised to any of the Management Team during your stay, we would definitely have taken the necessary action on it.

I would like to inform you that we have taken well note of the comments seriously and would be shared and discussed to the Department Heads concerned and they will be addressed and rectified accordingly.

Again, may I take this opportunity to thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Beware any AI that makes you wear a neon coloured bracelet!!!

We booked this as a last minute getaway in July, desperate for some sun and were sold this under the pretence of 'luxury'. It was anything but! Upon arrival things looked promising and the staff were friendly enough however once we ventured to the room it was clear that this was certainly not going to be our home for the next 7 days - horrendous twin beds, a distinct lack of working air conditioning coupled with decaying structural matter meant that first thing the next morning (we arrived at 01:30 am) I enquired about the possibility of being moved to a room that actually resembled what we'd booked. After the small matter of forking out another $50 per night (money does indeed talk here) they agreed to move us to a 'suite' with a sea view.
This was pleasant enough and I was actually able to see the sea! The smaller pool, next to our room, became our home for the week and it was lovely and quiet so no complaints there. The larger pool was fine if you were somehow under the impression you were on an 18-30's holiday and didn't mind being blasted with poorly recorded renditions of 90's style euro dance by people with Eastern European accents. The Russians mind you loved this! Make of that last comment what you will!
The weather was beautiful and the majority of staff went out of their way to make you feel accommodated. One particular chap who really stood was from the Tradewinds...due to the delay in writing alas I cannot remember his name...but he was fantastic! Nothing was too much trouble and he always offered to bring us seconds. This leads me nicely on to my mine gripe....the food! Quite possibly the worst selection and quality I have ever encountered in a hotel chain. The breakfast consisted of a rapidly depleting supply of breads, croissants, pastries, cold meats/cheeses/salads and a small amount of fruit and yoghurt. The omelettes were ok if you could bear to queue. It appeared to cater to the Russian market who clearly had the monopoly!
For an AI there were hardly any options and the several different a la carte restaurants seemed to be masquerading as one with the same menu repeated on different days. These weren't included and you had to pay extra. The poor people who succumbed to the speciality nights were given the same food with the promise of the addition of seafood! Needless to say we didn't partake and only ate dinner once...the others were spent at Soho Square in a lovely Egyptian restaurant.
It's incomprehensible that in this day and age a hotel chain, like the Radisson Blu, can put its name to such a place! I tweeted to complain and was replied to by guy in America who clearly has never had the misfortune of having to visit the Radisson Blu in Sharm!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank CBR2789

Dear chelsea07,
We are grateful for your recent stay at Radisson Blu Resort Sharm El Sheikh and for your returned comments.Thank you for telling us about the arrangement you held with us.

Naturally, I’m sorry if we did not live up to the standards you have come to expect during your long relationship with us. But I’m extremely grateful that you took the time to tell me about it. Possible explanation for problems I can assure you we take these problems seriously, and we’ll do everything in our power to make sure they don’t happen again.

Despite the problems you described, I sincerely hope you’ll give us this chance to make it wright to you.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

This was our 2nd visit to Radisson Blu, they say you should not go back and spoil memories from a previous visit. All the staff were excellent and the rooms were kept very clean on a daily basis. While we were there the current entertainment staff were dismissed and a new entertainment team was put in place ( Extreme Treats) one girl Sheryl was a lively girl from southern Ireland who really tried her best to rally the sun seekers to join in the entertainment and did a great job. Unfortunately what spoilt the trip was the uninspiring food. I would expect a 5* hotel to have an excellent food variety but what we found was that the same dishes cropped up over a couple of days in the main restaurant, this meant that you had to go to the other onsite eateries which then added cost to the end bill when checking out.

Room Tip: If you ask for sea view rooms be prepared to walk uphill to the main restaurant. If you are a senio...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter M
Anwar H, Front Office Manager at Parrotel Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Peter M,
A warm Marhaba from Radisson Blu Resort Sharm El Sheikh.

It is very heartwarming to read your glowing review of our resort post your second stay with us.

I am certain that your feedback will assist us in achieving higher standards of excellence in the future.

We wish to acknowledge also your review and observations about our food. We take great care to ensure that important matters such as this are properly addressed to the management. We’re committed to do everything we can to ensure our customers will have a wonderful and memorable stay in our resort.

We all look forward to welcoming you back at our resort - your home in Sharm for your 3rd visit sometime soon.

If I can be of any assistance in the meanwhile please do let me know.

Warm regards,

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Having returned a couple of weeks ago, my wife and I have had time to reflect on our stay at the Radisson Blu. Firstly, I would say that the welcome we received on arrival was excellent. Booking in was easy and we got to our room quickly. Sea view room was large and we had a reasonable view of the sea ( block 6000 ), however, even the more expensive Marine Club rooms didn't all have an unobstructed view of the sea as the vegetation and palm trees are so tall !!

Gardens are very well cared for and general upkeep of the grounds was excellent.

Food at the main restaurant was really very good ( how some reviewers could describe the food
as 'terrible' is beyond us ! ). For a start there was plenty of choice from salads to hot courses and all things considered, it was more than satisfactory as were the a la carte restaurants which were very good as well - even the drinks here were all free as part of the all inclusive package.

Drinks were absolutely fine and they were of more than acceptable quality and never once did we feel they were being 'rationed' - whatever you asked for was always available (within limits ! ).
Pools were well looked after, although we preferred the smaller one by the beach (less children and noise ! )
The beach was lovely and sandy but quite 'rocky' at the waters edge but a short walk along to pontoon led to an area to snorkel and observe the variety of fish !
We are not ones to really bother with entertainment at hotels but surprisingly it was really not bad and there was an hour or so each night with something to keep most satisfied for just long enough.
We were there at a time when many nationalities had stopped their citizens travelling to the area and as such the hotel was fairly quiet with mainly British and Russian guests with a few other remaining nationalities. I would estimate the hotel was perhaps 30%-40% full so whether it would be quite so enjoyable when full is another matter !
There were one or two minor 'gripes' but nothing worth mentioning - guests have to remember that 5 star is not the same in Egypt as it perhaps is in Western Europe so you have to always have some consideration before rushing to complain.

All things considered, it was a great week's holiday. We do not usually care for all inclusive hotels but the Radisson Blu was great and we shall gladly return.

Without doubt though, special mention has to go to the staff ! They are all wonderful - from the gardeners to reception staff to restaurant, room and bar staff, all of them made you feel so welcome - without doubt they are this hotel's greatest asset. Special mention has to go to Mahmoud at the towel hut by the beach, he looked after us all week as well as performing all his duties such as patrolling the beach and cleaning the pools ! - you are a star Mahmoud !

The management should be proud that they have such wonderful staff working for them at the Radisson and we hope to see you again next year !

Room Tip: Upper floor sea view rooms are good - especially blocks 6000/7000. Marine Club rooms are more expens...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank flyingscot444

Dear flyingscot444,
Warmest Greeting from Radisson Blu Resort Sharm El Sheikh.

Thank you for taking the time to write your positive review regarding your stay.
Your feedback is always important to us in order to improve our services.

It is great to know that you have chosen our magical resort for your holiday destination and that the associates of our resort have made your stay at pleasant one. The genuine care and comfort of our guest is always our highest mission.
Your concerns and feedback have been acknowledged, noted and shared to our management. Be rest assured that your next visit will be even a more pleasurable one, as we continuously strive to provide the most memorable and unique stay for our guests.

Once again, we thank you for your support of Radisson Blu and we hope that you will give us another chance to welcome you again in the near future to show our dedication and commitment to outstanding services.

Please feel free to contact us personally if we may be of any assistance pertaining to a future booking

Warmest Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nabq Bay
Stella Di Mare Beach Hotel & Spa
Stella Di Mare Beach Hotel & Spa
#5 of 231 in Sharm El Sheikh
Cleopatra Luxury Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Movenpick Resort Sharm El Sheikh Naama Bay
Movenpick Resort Sharm El Sheikh...
#9 of 231 in Sharm El Sheikh
14 mi away
Hilton Sharm Waterfalls Resort
Hilton Sharm Waterfalls Resort
#52 of 231 in Sharm El Sheikh

Been to Parrotel Beach Resort? Share your experiences!