“We loved coral sea splash!”

Coral Sea Aqua Club Resort
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Just got back from our 1st visit to Egypt as a family of 4, myself hubbie, son 13 and daughter 11. We will most definitely be returning-it was that good! Here are my views of our great 2wks:
Hotel
We arrived at our hotel at 9pm local time to be greeted by the great staff who swiftly saw to our check in and had our cases taken straight to our room. The hotel lobby area is lovely and spacious with a bar area to the left and to the right were the Asian restaurant, shops and sports bar. Down stairs is where the first choice reps, American restaurant and main buffet restaurant can be found.
Rooms
We stayed in swim up room 2102 which was absolutely lovely! Well worth the extra ££. King size bed was big enough for the 4 of us! But there was also a partitioned area which held the 2 single beds for the kids. Hair dryer was found in one of the drawers btw. We phoned reception and asked them to empty the mini fridge and bring us an iron and ironing board which they did promptly. Our room was clean by Abdelhamed who was lovely and left us lovely towel art but more importantly fresh towels everyday and changed the bedding every other. Anything we needed he got for us without hesitation.
Pools
The hotel had one main pool where they started the day at 10 am with the animation team. Kids waterpolo, followed by adults waterpolo and then aqua aerobics...great fun. The team were fantastic sports and great with the kids. There was also yoga first thing on the wooden decking area which was great. Then you had the wave pool which was fab, the kids water area, slides and flow rider and last but not least the lazy river...my fave! The hotel was at full capacity and we headed down for us beds before we went to breakfast at 9am. By then everyone who wanted the same space every single day had their towels down but we were happy to sit anywhere so if we couldn't see any beds free the towel guys found some and we got good spots everyday we were at the pool. Some ppl tipped the guys and they put their towels down for them but I'm not that sad!
Restaurants
The main buffet restaurant was pretty much the same as any other all inc. we've been to- bread island, salad station, dessert section, hot food area, spaghetti station and a pizza making area as well as a small kiddies section. With 3 fussy eaters we were always able to get a good meal! They also had an American restaurant and an Asian restaurant. We stayed for 2wks and were given 2 admissions to both over our stay which we used.
Entertainment
Yes, it was quite poor but the animation team did the best they could and we had a great laugh! Kiddies film at 7pm in the sports bar followed by kids disco at 8.30 with various other goings on throughout the week (bingo, karaoke etc) it's supposedly a general thing throughout Egypt but we took a pack of cards down with us and had some fun with the staff whilst drinking cocktails! Mohammed from the lobby bar deserves a mention because he was wonderful to us throughout our entire stay!
Location
We were situated just 15 minutes from the airport and if u turned left at the hotel u could find McDonald's, KFC, TGI Fridays, burger king and the viva bar and bus stop bar. The had a great pharmacy that had their prices on the packaging so u didnt get ripped off! Also across the road was the metro supermarket which again had the prices on the items and HSBC bank. Soho square was a 20 min drive away and Namma bay about 35 mins away.
Excursions
We did a few over our 2wk stay and after much research we booked through Time Tours who are situated in La Strada mall, behind burger king. Mohammed darwish Ahmed was the man to see and we would recommend him to anyone that wants to do some trips during their stay.
Quad biking, Cairo by air, dolphin show and swim, glass bottom boat and soho square.

Overall we had a fabulous 2 wk stay and would all love to visit again...the people that moan about grout and tiling should spend their 2wks staying at a DIY store rather than go abroad. It could cause problems in 10 years time when things will need addressing but for anyone going in the next few years, ignore the bad comments and have a fantastic holiday because we certainly did!! And we'll be back again... :0)

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
17  Thank needsunwales
Write a ReviewReviews (2,846)

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Just landed this morning after 2 weeks at Coral Sea Splash. First of all Thomson Airways need to sort in flight entertainment out ... 5 hour flight and no entertainment for kids!!!!

Arrived late Friday night on 3 August ... Reception staff fantastic, check in was very quick and efficient, was taken to restaurant for a meal which was great, every day breakfast, lunch and evening meal the food was excellent, always a varied choice, no queues and no shoving or rudeness from other guests, staff brilliant and very attentive at all times. Rooms are basic but very clean, we had a swim up room .. Room 4105 and it was well worth the extra money .. Must give a special mention to our cleaner Mahmoud .. He works long hours in exceptional heat and always kept our room very clean, his towel art was amazing and he was always so polite and happy.

The Resort itself was very family orientated although our son was 12 yrs old and entertainment at nights for his age group was very poor but having said that David the entertainments guy was fabulous, he took the lads over to Holiday Village on a few afternoons for a game of footie. We were lucky that our Son found many friends his own age to Hang out with, the resort was very safe and we had no worries when the lads went off in the evenings and done their own thing. Entertainment for 10 yrs and under was fantastic but if your children are older than please don't expect anything to keep them going. The pools were fantastic and always clean, lifeguards, bar staff and entertainment team work exceptionally hard all day long. Spa staff are a nuisance but if you see them coming and you don't want to be pestered then just be curtious and tell them straight and they leave you alone.

For any excursions we found Sharm Happy Tours and Falcon Tours, Both just outside hotel , To be excellent, lido from Sharm was great, couldnt do enough for us on our quad biking trip and boat trips, cheaper than hotel tours and excellent. We booked our trips with lido before we went, he came to hotel to see us morning after we got there and sorted all paperwork out, he was very charming and very helpful.

Asian restaurant fantastic , we didn't try American Diner has we had heard too many bad stories which put us off.

Overall we had a fantastic holiday and I would like to say a special mention to Mohamed in the lobby bar, Sefen who worked in the terrace bar, David who worked with entertainment, these guys are just great although all the staff were bloody fantastic, housekeeping, bar staff, life guards, entertainment, reception and restaurant staff ... Every single one of you make this hotel what it is, you are brill. The only person we didn't take to was Natalie the guest relations girl, quick enough to welcome you to resort and ask if you have any problems and when we mentioned a few things, she seemed very miffed and gave us a wide berth all the holiday!!! Nothing was corrected which we mentioned.

Anyway fab holiday, can't wait to return to Sharm but will try another hotel ...

Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Michelle M
Reviewed August 17, 2012

First of all, flight going over was freezing even the staff asked about getting the heating turned up on the plane, NOTHING HAPPENED??? Had the same experience coming home as well except they said they had sold all the blankets on the first flight? Night time flight these should be provided free.
On arrival, we were taken to our room, which was very good. Second night our daughter slipped in the room and split her leg open requiring stiches. The floor tiles are like an ice rink with the smallest amount of water on them. I also slipped and nearly went through the door.
There was an onsite clinic which was very good and gave my daughter the required treatment, after I had paid my £50.00 excess on insurance and given the guy my ref number and insurance company name, the guy asked for my bank details sort code and account number, I refused and he spoke to another guy there in Arabic and it was never mentioned again. When it came to remove the stiches 10 days later a different person then said we had to pay another £20, I again refused and told them my insurance covered this already, they accepted and never mentioned it again? Are they intentionally trying to rip you off?
If you do have to go to hospital make sure the Taxi takes you to the one that the clinic has told you to go too as there was a family there who were taken to a different hospital for treatment and had to pay £140 English pounds there and then or they would not give her daughters passport back? The only thing that they had was there receipt which explained what hospital to go to when they explained this to their first choice rep she thanked them for not taking it further? They were also told they had to pay £300 up front. They had the same insurance we had with the £50 excess. More lies to con people out of money.
This has to be one of the busiest clinics as there was always someone going there every day.
Food is unbelievably rubbish especially for kids, most kids there were living on bread rolls and chips. Food Luke warm if that!!! Hygiene not so good as well, if you were sitting next to a wall you could definitely see food on the wall where you were sitting, tables are cleared quickly, but if you watch them they are just wiped down with the same cloth time and time again no spray or disinfectant observed to be used, things like this is all basic hygiene.
McDonalds next door must be one of the busiest places I have seen as it was packed every time we walked past, some evenings the queue was out the door.
Good snack bars around the pools serving panines, burgers, chips and ice cream during the day.
Went to the Asian restaurant which was good, but then in my bed for the next four days with Egyptian tummy bug, this was a common thing at the resort as every family had at least one or two members during their stay who had it, well everyone we spoke too anyway, only sorted out by going to the pharmacy next door to the hotel, another shop making a fortune from the daily visits from the guests. First choice rep said it was dehydration to my wife, what a load of rubbish, they obviously tell this to everyone as we have seen on trip advisor. The amount of people falling ill with supposedly Egyptian tummy bug obviously comes down to a serious hygiene problem at this resort.
American restaurant was good, not a very good selection but okay.
These restaurants needed to be booked, but were always empty?? Some guests did not get a chance to eat here because they said they were fully booked?
Swimming pools, we spent most of our time at the toddler’s pool, which looks like it is about 20 years old and not 12months?? Got to be the most dangerous pool I have come across, the edging is all coming away around the whole pool, rusty nails sticking out and some parts is like walking on sharp harling on the side of a house!. I have taken many photos of this, one of the rep said they had complained about this pool many times but nothing seems to be getting done.
The big one for us when there was three workmen came over to the pool to do repairs at 12:30 in the afternoon with pool full of kids, they then proceeded to plug in an ELECTRIC 210V drill and stood in the pool and started to drill holes in the side to add on repairs??? If this had slipped out his hands there were about 10 kids in that pool which I am sure could have been an absolute disaster if that had happened. As soon as I took my camera out to photograph this they stopped and put it to the side. I then told my daughter not to go near the pool and then went to report this immediately to the Thompson rep who stopped what she was doing and went to the management right away, who then went and got this stopped. This was a brilliant pool for my daughter, but was let down by the state it was in. I honestly would not have booked my holiday if I had seen this prior to going as she spends most of her time there. Should have looked at some of the reviews as this pool has been like this for some time.
Later on in the holiday I found out that this was not reported to everyone in the hotel as some of the Thompson reps had not heard about it and the Manager at the end of the holiday who speaks too you when you are leaving looked gob smacked when told that we had photos of the guy’s doing repairs in the pool with an electric drill??? One of the most shocking things I have seen on holiday.
The lazy river was good apart from the missing tiles, the flumes were very good for the kids and adults, the pirate ship pool again was let down by the edging around the sides, as above not in a good condition.
Night time entertainment was very poor out of the two weeks I must have seen one good show and this was the Michael Jackson tribute. The entertainment staff are good during the day, but are let down by the shows at night time. The girls don’t look to be putting much of an effort into it again the costumes terrible.
SPA was good for a Turkish shave and hair cut this cost me 250 Egyptian pounds, they wanted 450 in the beginning and they expect a tip, just a joke really when you have just given them 25 quid. All the things they have on their menu are over rated and overpriced, if you go, pay less than half what they are asking. They probably are not as qualified as they make out to be when it comes to the different types of massage, which they try to push onto you to buy.
Staff at the hotel were very good, the guy that did the room was brilliant, every day the room was done perfect. Bar staff were good around the pool and at night time. Waiter staff were good and friendly. Only noticed they were a bit touchy, feely and sleazy with the younger girls from about 12 years and older.
Although this was an all-inclusive holiday you feel like you have to tip the staff all the time and some do push for this especially when you are leaving

We feel disappointed family holidays aren’t cheap £4200, First Choice previous holidays have been excellent experiences but this trip has made me think more about the standard which certainly not as described in the brochure. No pictures about the condition of the toddler’s pool? I’m sure people would stop and think before booking if they could see how the pools do look close up.
I would not return even for free sorry, worst holiday I have had just glad to be home which is a first for me when returning from a holiday. If this place was in the UK it would have been shut down.

3  Thank AndyR426
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Have just return from a 14 Day stay. (02-08-2012 to 16-08-2012)....Have been to Egypt a few times and this has to be the best yet by far....From as soon as you get there from the guys getting you bags off the bus and to your room. Everyone was very friendly and helpful...........BUT There Is ONLY ONE FAULT I CAN FIND WITH THIS HOLIDAY I HAD TO COME HOME....Not Fair!!! One more thing this Resort is changing Next Year Its going to be a Thomson Family Resort with thomson reps doing the entertaining and the PRICE is going Up Up Up....Its a shame the Animation team made are holiday they took every thing that was thrown at the always with a Smile Cheers Guys.....Dont forget to have ago on the Surf Rider a first for Sharm El Sheikh and only at The Coral Sea.......But Remember to make sure your shorts are tight as you may lose them.....lol All the slides were great fun the only down side not enough inflatables but you didnt have to wait long and this resort was full....You could always find a sun bed no matter what time of day BUT if you wanted the same spot everyday you need to get up early to do this and stay with your beds until it gone 8am or your towels will be removed but i never told that..wink wink

Room Tip: We had the room that slept 2-6 which was a good size room one room with 2 single beds, one room with...
2  Thank Shane C
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Wow - what a fantastic time ! Great hotel and the staff there were excellent !
Food was really good with plenty of variety. Some of the Egyptian dishes were delicious, especially poached eggs in a bed of spinach, and marinated sweet potatoes. The salad bar is one of the best I've seen in a holiday hotel. Fresh pancakes and fresh omelettes cooked to order for breakfast.
Our family room was more of a suite with a separate and very spacious bedroom for the kids - whole thing very tastefully decorated and furnished. One minor niggle was there were not enough plug sockets and some were very close together so if you put in a European plug adapter it blocked two sockets.
Tried out the gym which was very well equipped and air conditioned. Most of the time I had it to myself as I guess very few people would use it on holiday.
Recommend Falcon Travel for any excursions as they are much cheaper than the ones offerred by the reps. Falcon is across the road from the hotel and down a bit. The owner Said is an incredibly nice guy and remembered us from last year (including which excursions we'd booked).
The highlight of the holiday was a trip that we did actually book through First Choice-a dolphin spotting excursion on the Red Sea by speedboat. There is no guarantee that you will see dolphins but even if you don't it's a great morning or afternoon out - a speedboat ride, visit an amazing shipwreck, then a few snorkelling stops where you see literally thousands of tropical fish. We were incredibly lucky and saw half a dozen dolphins on the way out and again on the way back! Plus saw 100s of flying fish leaping out of the water which I'd never seen before.
We found a great shop a short walk from the hotel (out the main door and turn left, then a couple of hundred yards on the left is a street of shops and stalls.) If you take in your prescription you can choose frames and he will make up glasses for you at a fraction of the UK price (wife bought a couple of pairs at around £90 each that would have cost about £300 at home.) The shop is called Time 4 Vision and the owner is a guy called Sam. Now I wonder if we can order some by email and have him post to the UK ?
The water slides, lazy river and flow rider were great and kept the kids amused (and out of our hair) throughout the holiday. The flow rider guys were fantastic with beginners and especially the small kids who they would ride on with and hold them up on the boards.
The lazy river definitely did not have enough tyres and I'd recommend buying your own on the first couple of days.
Shopping (and haggling) was great fun if you enter into the spirit of things. Have a joke and a laugh with the shopkeepers and always treat them politely and with respect.
Another tip - last year if you got a taxi from outside the hotel (instead of ordering it in the hotel lobby) it was a lot cheaper, but the hotels have brought their prices down. You can still save a few quid by flagging one down. BUT if you get a one way ride say to Naama Bay, on the way back they will try and charge you more. Insist on paying the same price you paid on the way out - there's a lot of competition with the taxi drivers so just walk away and ask the next driver instead !
Reading some other review on this site I don't understand why people are saying they had to get up at 7 to get sunbeds or bribe the pool staff. We got up sometimes at 8.30 or 9 and there were still beds available (but obviously not the best positions). I never saw any hint of bribery or favoritism with the staff.
Last year, staying at a different hotel, we all got tummy bugs and the medicine from the pharmacies was very expensive. This year we took some Anti-Diarrhoea tablets (£1.50 in Sainsburys) and took a couple of tablets at the first sign of Egypt tummy and we were fine the whole holiday.
Thanks to all who made it a great holiday including Mahmoud our waiter, Fathy the restaurant manager, the flow rider guys, all the pool staff and lifeguards, Nabil, and the entertainment team especially Kareem, David, and Gemma.

Room Tip: Rooms right next to the pool have great access but not very private so pros and cons. We had a room...
1  Thank Steve F
Reviewed August 16, 2012

just returned from 11 night stay at this hotel and i cant fault it there was me wife and 3 kids

first off all i must praise thhe hotel staff as most other reviews say they cantt do enough for you and do all they can to make the kids happy which when you go away as a family is thhe main thing you want

the only staff we had a problem with was the spa staff asking soonn as your round pool about being booked in for turkish baths or massages

the rooms are not top quality but comfy and somewere to sleep at the end of the day you dont spend a great deal of time in there

when going out walking the streets you are constantly mythered to come in shops and buy stuff you are lucky if you can walk past 2 shops without being approached but this is there way of living and the kids didnt enjoy it soo we felt a bit trapped inside the hotel did go to soho square which was a lot better

we went quad biking but went through a bloke called jimmy on the beach he worked for a hotel 5 min walk down road from hotel was good as my 15 yr daughter was allowed to go by herself and my 12 yr son was allowed with a guide behind him on bike which he enjoyed better as he was at back of group he was told to slow down and got to go flat out on bike to catch up all for £90 just my 9 yr daughter had to get on with me

the water park was good as there was no waiting for slides as it was just for hotel you have 5 large slides a kids area for playing with slides a wave pool a flowrider which sometimes gets a 15 min wait butworth it when you see people comin of and the lazy river good place to walk round to cool of or jjust lye back on a rubber ring and relax

everybody expects a tip from getting off the plane to getting back on it

overall this was a fantastic holiday but for the cost you can get even better going closer to home like spain for a lot less all that will be different is it wont be as hot but still better than here and you can still get a tan

5  Thank paul c
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Im a bit late doing this review, we got back from CSS on the 28th July after spending two weeks there. This was the best holiday we have been on. The hotel was lovely we spent quite a lot of time on the water slides as there was never any queues, the food was good, however, we did get bored of eating the same stuff towards the end of the holiday so we just ate out at mcdonalds and an english pub just to the right of the hotel ( which do the best egg and chips ever).

The entertainment staff were absolutely AMAZING. Anyone who has faulted them in a review must not like getting involved or having a laugh. The staff were always making us laugh and getting everyone involved with the day activities and in the shows at night. They even managed to get my dad up dancing ( which is a hard thing to do). We had fun with them in the day around the pool but also at night during the shows and in the bars next door after the hotels bar had closed they still came round and spoke to everyone and tried to get them up dancing even though they werent really working. They made everyone feel really involved and part of their little family. They work so hard on a such a small budget.... the shows at night were entertaining and although you could tell they were working on a low budget the staff made up for the lack in props etc. The Michael Jackson tribute was the BEST by far. The entertainment staff defo made our holiday.

The worst part of the holiday was when we went to Hard Rock Cafe in Naama Bay. It was disgusting. The food was cold and it didnt arrive to us all the same time my dad and uncle had finished there food before anyone else got theirs. When my mum eventually received her pasta it had a big lump of plastic in it, we then ended up leaving and going to kfc to get a burger. Although that is the only thing we have to fault with the whole holiday.

It was my birthday whilst out in Egypt and the cleaner went out of his way to decorate my room. He made a cake and candles out of towels and put petals all over my bed. The restaurant staff also made a huge effort and sang happy birthday to me and danced around the table after giving me a lovely chocolate cake. :)

We would defo defo defo go back to this hotel even if it was only to see the staff.

P.S. I would highly recommend going to the Pataya Beach party on a Tuesday with the entertainment staff. We went twice whilst there and it was amazing both times.

Tasha, Chris, Jenny, Dan and Rob.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Charmillion Club Aqua Park
Parrotel Beach Resort
Parrotel Beach Resort
#7 of 33 in Nabq Bay

Been to Coral Sea Aqua Club Resort? Share your experiences!