“Revolting food and dirty rooms in a horrible part of the world...”

Cleopatra Luxury Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I booked 4 nights at the Cleopatra luxury (!) resort as it had such good reviews on trip advisor and I was seriously disappointed. I should have suspected something wasn't right when I arrived and was given a glass of orange squash in a champagne glass. It kinda summed the resort up and took me back to my schools days (the orange squash, not the champagne glass...).

The place is 99% Russians which it understandably caters for so if you are English I recommend you steer clear. I have nothing against Russian people but they eat differently to us Brits and have a different way about them. Only one women works in the hotel from what I could see (she was Russian, rude and stand offish towards me). This lack of yin (or is it yang?) frankly creates a very unbalanced and slightly strange atmosphere. The men who work there are friendly to be fair, but the English women I met said they felt ignored by the staff who only spoke to their husbands! Maybe that's the Egyptian way but doesn't cut it for me.

The food was over salted, stale and discoloured in the all inclusive market place. The chicken sausages made me laugh and who knew you could cut off cucumbers into so many shapes! And don't even get me started about the desserts. They looked stunning but tasted of nothing I have ever experienced before. They had a common processed sloppy soil kind of flavour with a hint of honey? On the plus side there was no way I was going to put on weight by eating too much! I quite liked the mango ice cream they served at the beach cafe but it came in a plastic disposable water cooler cup - not very five star! My package included 2 nights in so called a la carte restaurants which were as horrendous as the all inclusive buffet restaurant.

My room was run down, dusty and the floor had a layer of dirt and grime on it. The pillows smelt a bit grim and needed to be replaced. There was no heating in the room and it was freezing at night. When I complained I was sent two (?) towelling robes which I slept in every night with a pair of socks!

The grounds of the hotel were beautiful but only a small part of one the pools was heated which had loud music playing by it. The beach was stunning and quiet but littered with cigarette butts which needed to be cleared up. The beach towels were tatty and needed to be replaced. On the plus side I loved snorkelling on the reef.

This hotel is absolutely not a Western/ European 5 star hotel but could be if the food was fresher, better cooked and the rooms were refurbished, cleaned and the bedding was replaced. Also - when you leave the grounds of hotel you are constantly hassled by men trying to sell you things which is tiresome.

I regret not complaining more about my room and the food but I felt a bit intimidated and I was only there for 4 nights which I made the best of and thoroughly enjoyed the sun! I have given the resort one star for the grounds and one star for the reef.

My advice - avoid the hotel and avoid Sharm - it's a nasty place. There are much more atmospheric, cleaner and more interesting places to visit in the world.

Room Tip: Don't choose this resort in the first place!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Joel K
The Cleopatra L... M, General Manager at Cleopatra Luxury Resort Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Dear Guest,
Greeting from Cleopatra Luxury resort -Sharm El Sheikh,
As per our record by the guest relation you request in the first day of your arrival one bath rope in your room 2201 and you received it within only 15 minutes & as per Hotel policy the guest relation make sure everything is ok with guest on the next day of arrival we made courtesy call and you mentioned everything is ok . You stayed in the hotel for 04 days only, so regarding to your comment about the Russian guest was 99% we want to draw your attention that we have mix nationalities English, Russian, Italian, Ukrainian, French, German, Swiss & Polish.
During the whole stay you haven’t referred back to the hotel managements regarding any of the above mentioned comments.
We hope to see you again for a better stay to remove the negative impression you got.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We have just returned from spending 10 days holiday at the Cleopatra Luxury Resort - 31st Jan-10th Feb.

Checking in was very easy and were greeted with a welcome drink. We had been upgraded to a superior room with a view of the Red Sea and pools. The room was well serviced and it was kept exceptionally clean and well stocked with shampoo, conditioner and body wash. We were also treated to 'his and hers' bathrobes and slippers and on two occasions flowers were put in our room which was a lovely touch.

All the pools and gardens were kept to a very high standard and it was a pleasure to be able to walk around the complex. On one occasion I was putting up the umbrella when the pool attendant come running over saying it was his job to do that - we were there to relax and enjoy ourselves :-) We felt quite pampered and the sun beds were really comfortable.

The beach restaurant was a great place to go and enjoy lunch or a coffee as it overlooked the Red Sea and it was so relaxing with the staff being very welcoming.

The staff in the Market Restaurant were also very friendly and they kept the restaurant exceptionally clean and tidy and a good selection of food was available.

A particular mention needs to be given to the lobby bar staff. They kept us well fueled either with coffee's or G&T's and we enjoyed the live music in the lobby. In particular the classic guitar player whom we enjoyed very much.

During our stay it was my wife's birthday and following a relaxing day round the pool, upon our return back to our room, the hotel had provided a birthday cake and a lovely birthday wish message which was again a lovely touch. That evening we enjoyed an excellent meal in the Red Sea Wharf restaurant and would recommend a visit as part of the all inclusive package.

This is our sixth visit to Egypt and would say that this stay has been far the best yet and look forward to going to back again.

Yes there were quite a lot of Russians in the Hotel, but we got chatting to some of them and they were friendly people.

Well done to the management team and all the staff for making our stay both enjoyable and relaxing.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank S F
The Cleopatra L... M, General Manager at Cleopatra Luxury Resort Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear Guests

Greeting from Cleopatra Luxury Resort Sharm El Sheikh

We appreciate for taking the time in publishing your review of your recent holiday at Cleopatra Luxury Resort.We glad, that you enjoyed your stay with us and looking forward to welcome you again to Cleopatra Luxury Resort

Sunny regards

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed at the Cleopatra for 10 nights. First time in Egypt for my husband and I. Overall impression of the hotel is good however the local spirits, food and evening entertainment let it down. Unless you had a cocktail to eliminate the horrendous taste of gin, vodka etc we found we couldn't drink them. Other guests at the hotel agreed. Food was fairly average although other guests who had stayed in other hotels in Egypt said the food at the Cleopatra was the best they'd had in Egypt. We never attempted the salad bar, desserts or fresh fruit as regrettably there always seemed to be flies on the food! Certain foods were covered up and then others were left for the flies to dine on! Evening entertainment was fairly average and sometimes lacked any thought although the animation team were probably restricted to what they could and couldn't do. If you're after a chilled out holiday in beautiful surroundings then this hotel is a great spot. From the day we arrived to the day we checked out nothing was too much trouble for the staff. We upgraded our room to a beachfront room which was well worth the additional cost!

Greeting from the Cleopatra Sharm resort -Sharm El Sheikh,
Cleopatra Luxury resort glad to know that you are enjoyed your stayed with us and very thankful to you for your kind comment on tripadvisor. The team of Cleopatra Luxury resort try to reach 100% of our guest satisfactions and to make you feel so comfortable, to enjoy your stay & the time you spent.
Regarding to your comment about the food we want to draw your attention that our all inclusive start at 10:00 am till 02:00 am, we have 07 different themes night s served every day in the main restaurant at dinner time as the following:
01 Fish & sea food
02 Far east
03 Gala dinner
04 Mexican
05 Italian
06 International
07 Oriental
And every guest has 02 free invitations for our ala card restaurant (the Italian restaurant- which has 03 different delicious Italian menus and fish restaurant with has also 03 different menu’s with fantastic atmosphere) per week we need to reach guest (nationalities) satisfactions.
A lunch was taken in main restaurant which has huge salad buffet, 02 kind of fresh soup changing every day and ten hot items including meat, chicken, sea food, section of bakery, fruits and delicious sweets,we have the healthy corner and also and kids have small buffet in the main restaurant there also lunch at beach grill which served hot fresh sandwiches with farm frites in addition to 05 favorite Italian pizza.
Snacks available in : active pool bar from 11:00 till 05:00pm
Family pool bar from 11:00 till 05:00pm
we have Morning activities, Afternoon activities, Evening activities &Evening show Programs (daily) pus to live Guitarist - singer twice a week

Thank you for choosing our Hotel & looking to see you again

Reviewed February 15, 2013

The hotel is clean and well managed. The gym is used infrequently but well equipped.There are 3 pools one is heated (which is mainly used for activities by the reps which entertain Russians/Italians usually to techno/dance music from 11-4 ) - The infinity pool has a breathtaking vue but is colder and fortunately quieter and there is also one pool situated next to the gym. Wi-fi is available but only available with a voucher (free if all inclusive) in the lobby of the hotel occasionally it is unavailable so some kind of dongle might be useful if you want to use the internet in your room. The nightly entrainment is more geared towards Russians but is voiced in English too. The all inclusive food was was okay and there is normally a themed night with the food, its better to arrive early to get the best picks off the food. There is a beach bar which serves drinks and snack such as cheeseburgers and pizzas between 12-5 which overlooks the red sea. The rooms are regularly cleaned and you should remember to put the do not disturbed sign on if you don't want to be disturbed too frequently. If you want a quiter time in the day time do not get a room too close to the main pool, hence and ipod/music of some sort is useful to take too. The internet in the room is LAN = so take that into account if you need to take usb adapters etc... Taxi from Nama bay to the hotel should cost 50 Egyptian pound and the same from the airport make sure you haggle (women generally tend to get favored more when it comes to haggling ! - some of the taxi drivers will start at 220 Egyptian pound - so be warned... Its worth checking out some of the local supermarkets as there dirt cheap too.... We also went snorkeling to Ras Mohammed which was well worth doing (cost about 400 Egyptian pound for two of us) this included a buffet at lunch time - its a full day out and they pick you up from hotel and drop you off (although we stopped off at nama bay after the cruise/snorkel - make sure you tell the rep if you do!) We went from the 4th -11 th Feb and it was Sunny and 27+ most days some days were windy but still warm (bearing in mind this is Egyptian winter) if you burn easily SPF 30+ as there were definitely some sorry looking lobsters. Tipping is not a must in the hotel but the staff always seemed pleased to get a tip. Ps - if your wondering how to get the big shower to work in the bedrooms there is a pit you pull down at the bottom of the bar. There are 3 English speaking channels but you might want to take some of your own entertainment. I would go here again.

Room Tip: Cluster 8 is situated to main pool - if you don't like day time noise this is probably not the b...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank 475Mike

Dear Guest,
Greeting from Cleopatra Luxury Resort -Sharm El Sheikh.

We would like to express our sincerer appreciation for taking the time in publishing your very your review on your recent holiday at Cleopatra Luxury Resort
We glad , that you enjoyed our resort with its facilities and that we exceed your expectations. We appreciate your comments and we will definitely take them into consideration.

Looking forward to welcome you again to Cleopatra Luxury Resort

Best regards

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Went to Sharm for some winter sun in January 2013. Booked 5 star all inclusive at this resort hotel. The hotel really is second to none. The rooms are of high quality, the food selection was good with the addition of meals in two 'a la carte' restaurants. It has its own private beach, reef and beach bar - if you like snorkelling this is heaven.
However, the most importnat ingredient, and the thing that would bring you back, is the service by all the staff. First rate and no detail overlooked. Cant recommend this rersort hotel highly enough.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Graham M
The Cleopatra L... M, General Manager at Cleopatra Luxury Resort Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Greeting from Cleopatra Luxury Resort -Sharm El Sheikh

We appreciate for taking the time in publishing your review of your recent holiday at Cleopatra Luxury Resort .We glad, that you enjoyed your stay with us and looking forward to welcome you again to Cleopatra Luxury Resort .
Kindly find our contact email for any future requests or enquiry:
reservation@thecleopatrasharm.com

Sunny regards

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Recently returned from a week staying here. the Hotel, pools, grounds and staff were all excellent apart from the food which is the only reason why I would never return here, this is the worst food I have ever had on a holiday. The quality of food was cheap and tastless. the fruit selection was all bruised and battered., the soup was watery and bland, the mains were colourless and of cheap quality. I ordered a portion of chips from the beach bar and within 10 seconds was brought out a plate of what was obviously left over chips from some one elses plate which were stone cold and uneidable! the scrimping on the quality of food really lets the hotel down. I feel it was more catered to the high amount of Russian holiday makers than the 5% English that were there.

2  Thank LondonBailey
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Myself and my girlfriend wanted a holiday and even researched the Cleopatra on Trip Advisor before we came. We went through cosmos and they did a tremendous job. Our Initial impression was great, we were warmly welcomed with complimentary drinks and escorted to our room which was upgraded to a see view. The room was brilliant. If you have any problems about drinking water like we did then don't worry as room service provide bottled water every day. The air con did the job and the beds were extremely comfortable, however the room could have done with more of a clean. It took a while to get used to the Egyptian culture however our rep was magnificent and explained what there was to see. (If you are wanting to explore more of Sharm El Sheik have your wits about you).

My major concern was the entertainment of an evening. As we were in the main building the music below was awful and incredibly loud keeping us awake on several occasions with horrendous music (closing the balcony window made no difference). It went on till roughly 11pm at night. If you like your us and and delight yourselves in quiet holidays then definitely try and book a room away from the main building! The food was average, and overpriced. It looks spectacular but standards were unfortunately low. There should have been more variety.... simple. A great tip is to get up early for breakfast as the food is fresh and not left out for hours, same with dinner. We are easily pleased individuals you see, although the breakfast was a let down but dinner made up for it. It is obvious the hotel want to meet high standards and they are close to achieving their goals If only there wasn't a 'few neglected areas'.

The grounds and beach were fantastic! I give credit to the management team. If you are on the verge of booking a holiday with this place and don't mind crowds of endless Russians then you will love it. Definitely be prepared to tip and be confronted by numerous Egyptians wanting to give massage or pictures. We found that extremely annoying on the beach (so did every one else). Bring extra money with you as the hotel is expensive. Gorgeous hotel, great location on the beach but a shame about the food and entertainment.

Room Tip: Definitely find a room near the beach.
2  Thank Timothy P

Dear Guests

Greeting from Cleopatra Luxury Resort Sharm El Sheikh

Thank you for taking time to post a great summary about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your excellent feedback, which demonstrates the quality hospitality experienced during your stay at Cleopatra Luxury Resort,
01 Fish & sea food
02 Far east
03 Gala dinner
04 Mexican
05 Italian
06 International
Oriental
And every guest has 02 free invitations for our ala card restaurant (the Italian restaurant- which has 03 different delicious Italian menus’s and fish restaurant with has also 03 different menu’s with fantastic atmosphere) per week.
Snacks available in : active pool bar from 11:00 till 05:00pm
Family pool bar from 11:00 till 05:00pm
about the Entertainment we have every day Morning activities, Afternoon activities,Evening activities, show Program(daily ) and Live Music (Guitarist twice a week ).
. We looking forward to welcome you again in Cleopatra Luxury Resort
Best Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nabq Bay
Stella Di Mare Beach Hotel & Spa
Stella Di Mare Beach Hotel & Spa
#3 of 231 in Sharm El Sheikh
Movenpick Resort Sharm El Sheikh Naama Bay
Movenpick Resort Sharm El Sheikh...
#12 of 231 in Sharm El Sheikh
#6 of 231 in Sharm El Sheikh
Sultan Gardens Resort
Sultan Gardens Resort
#22 of 231 in Sharm El Sheikh

Been to Cleopatra Luxury Resort Sharm El Sheikh? Share your experiences!