I booked 4 nights at the Cleopatra luxury (!) resort as it had such good reviews on trip advisor and I was seriously disappointed. I should have suspected something wasn't right when I arrived and was given a glass of orange squash in a champagne glass. It kinda summed the resort up and took me back to my schools days (the orange squash, not the champagne glass...).
The place is 99% Russians which it understandably caters for so if you are English I recommend you steer clear. I have nothing against Russian people but they eat differently to us Brits and have a different way about them. Only one women works in the hotel from what I could see (she was Russian, rude and stand offish towards me). This lack of yin (or is it yang?) frankly creates a very unbalanced and slightly strange atmosphere. The men who work there are friendly to be fair, but the English women I met said they felt ignored by the staff who only spoke to their husbands! Maybe that's the Egyptian way but doesn't cut it for me.
The food was over salted, stale and discoloured in the all inclusive market place. The chicken sausages made me laugh and who knew you could cut off cucumbers into so many shapes! And don't even get me started about the desserts. They looked stunning but tasted of nothing I have ever experienced before. They had a common processed sloppy soil kind of flavour with a hint of honey? On the plus side there was no way I was going to put on weight by eating too much! I quite liked the mango ice cream they served at the beach cafe but it came in a plastic disposable water cooler cup - not very five star! My package included 2 nights in so called a la carte restaurants which were as horrendous as the all inclusive buffet restaurant.
My room was run down, dusty and the floor had a layer of dirt and grime on it. The pillows smelt a bit grim and needed to be replaced. There was no heating in the room and it was freezing at night. When I complained I was sent two (?) towelling robes which I slept in every night with a pair of socks!
The grounds of the hotel were beautiful but only a small part of one the pools was heated which had loud music playing by it. The beach was stunning and quiet but littered with cigarette butts which needed to be cleared up. The beach towels were tatty and needed to be replaced. On the plus side I loved snorkelling on the reef.
This hotel is absolutely not a Western/ European 5 star hotel but could be if the food was fresher, better cooked and the rooms were refurbished, cleaned and the bedding was replaced. Also - when you leave the grounds of hotel you are constantly hassled by men trying to sell you things which is tiresome.
I regret not complaining more about my room and the food but I felt a bit intimidated and I was only there for 4 nights which I made the best of and thoroughly enjoyed the sun! I have given the resort one star for the grounds and one star for the reef.
My advice - avoid the hotel and avoid Sharm - it's a nasty place. There are much more atmospheric, cleaner and more interesting places to visit in the world.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cleopatra Luxury Resort Sharm El Sheikh is located in the Sinai Peninsula in the splendid isolation of Nabq Bay along the shores of the Red Sea with a water front private beach. The Resort offers one of a kind ambiance and style by reflecting the location, culture and history. The Resort combines the tradition of its host community with exceptional Service & Cuisine a luxury product with attention to detail. This distinction elevates Cleopatra Luxury Resort Sharm El Sheikh into the upper echelon of a five star hotel destination for sophisticated travelers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Prestigia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Cleopatra Luxury Resort Sharm El Sheikh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cleopatra Luxury Resort Collection Hotel Sharm El Sheikh
- Cleopatra Luxury Resort Sharm El Sheikh Egypt - Nabq Bay