“Hidden gem”

Cleopatra Luxury Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Reviewed March 13, 2011

My partner and I stayed in this hotel at the beginning of march.Last time we visited sharm we stayed at the ritz Carlton which is over the other side of sharm. Nabq bay is an up and coming area and the cleopatra is the most luxurious in the area. We had a lovely stay the decor, food, service and rooms were excellent, however they were a few sticking points the alarm went off in the night and we went down to reception nobody advised if it was a false alarm or a real emergency , so we just went back to bed if there had been a proper emergency their lack of procedure could be fatal as a lot of people did not get out of bed. The pool and gardens were breath taking however when we did go down to the beautiful beach or pools we were hassled by the spa staff , and excursion staff to have treatments or boat trips this became a little annoying by day 7. Because the hotel was quiet there was not a lot of entertainment in the evening. The room was spacious, modern , nice balcony and two double beds there was a few incidences when we did not have electricity in our room but a call to reception put this right. Felini in my opinion was the best option for dinner, I do think there should be an iPod in the restaurants as the cd kept sticking and also nirvana being played at breakfast time is too heavy. The club room could be made into a lovely bar with maybe a cinema night , or a pub quiz as this would make the space utilised as not many people were using the darts board or pool table. All in all I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011
2  Thank Coupleontour

Reviewed March 13, 2011

Just returned from a week’s stay and it was the best holiday in Egypt we have taken to date due to an extremely comfortable stay at the Cleopatra Luxury Resort! We booked just a few days before we planned to travel (with Travel Republic) and we wasn’t sure what type of room to expect as we had booked a luxury room from a range of room categories that do not appear to be the same as the room categories described on the hotel’s website (thecleopatrasharm.com). Despite a small glitch on arrival regarding payment, due to our late booking and the transfer of funds from British account to Egyptian account, we were taken to our room which could be described by other hotels in a similar category as an open plan junior suite.

Our room (1009), located in the main building above the Market Restaurant had multi-aspect views over the swimming pools, gardens and had a stunning sea view. The room was divided by a rotating TV on a stand, with the bed area on one side and a sitting area with desk space on the other. The bed was super king-sized, on the firm side but very comfortable with soft full bouncy pillows, although bed and pillow comfort are a very personal choice!

Bathroom, we felt, was on the small side for overall room size and no bidet in the luxury room category!! Large shower cubicle with rainfall shower and handheld attachment with good water pressure. Good quality towels and bathrobes provided. Some toiletries were provided but cannot comment on the quality as didn’t use them.

Wardrobe and storage space, again we felt, was small and limited but we did manage to find a home for most of our belongings in the cupboards in the living area. Safe provided (free) in the wardrobe that was big enough to fit the laptop in with ease. You can use the internet in your room via an Ethernet cable and Wi-Fi was available in the lobby, was a bit slower than used to at home but worked well for checking emails etc. Tea and coffee making facilities in room are perfectly adequate and you are provided with complimentary bottled water on a daily basis. Mini bar available if you request it but fridge was otherwise useful for keeping the milk fresh for the first morning coffee!

Air conditioning in our room seemed to take a few days to become effective but otherwise we had no problems with ours and it kept the room well temperature-controlled, if a bit noisy, even on its lowest fan setting when sleeping at night! Rooms otherwise seemed fairly well sound-proofed but having said that it was very quiet in the hotel. The room was serviced on a daily basis to an excellent standard.

We were full board and were overall very pleased with the choices available, especially as I am a very picky vegetarian! No tummy troubles either! Breakfast was usual Egyptian fare, but better quality than have had at other hotels. Lunch was served at the Red Sea Wharf, which is planned to be the seafood/ fish restaurant, located by the beach and with fantastic sea views. It was a limited menu choice, if you are vegetarian, but it managed to satisfy most days. Service at lunch was a bit hit and miss at the beginning of our stay but after a mention to the senior staff (dressed in black) it improved vastly.

The evening meals were exceptionally good, although buffet style the food was always fresh and hot with plenty of choice. Again food and meal preferences are a very personal choice but if we were to stay again we would stay half-board and skip the lunch. A short walk away from the hotel (a right-turn out of the main entrance) is some bars and restaurants, as well as supermarkets, pharmacy, bank, etc.

The hotel itself is very elegant and contemporary styled with what feels and looks like it has an Italian influence. It is well-maintained with beautiful gardens, large pool areas, including a stunning infinity pool and a lovely beach with its own pier. Yes the music is a bit naff but what type of music do you play in public areas that would suit everybody’s taste??! It is supremely comfortable, from the seating area in the lobby to the sun loungers and day beds by the pool areas and beach and this is what makes it, in our view, very conducive to making this a wonderfully relaxing holiday! If the hotel management continue to acknowledge client comments and suggestions this should definitely become the best hotel in Sharm el Sheik.

We could list our very small gripes but they were personal to us and they didn’t in any way distract from what was a fabulous holiday in an exceptionally nice hotel. Would highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for somewhere very comfortable to relax in the sunshine that offers excellent service and appetizing good quality food.

3  Thank Antsey
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Before I describe how good this hotel is, the most important information I can impart is NOT to book with lowcostholidays. The good news is that hotels4u, Travel Republic and Cosmos all carry this hotel.

The first we knew of a problem was as we sat down on the airport shuttle bus and were told we had been 'upgraded' to the Tropicana Grand Azure (which was, by the way, awful - all inclusive hell with large family groupings drinking and fighting in the bar - not an exaggeration, we had the misfortune to witness first hand. Not to mention the dingy 'suite' and the bed bugs which attacked another Cleopatra refugee dumped here).

We were given a variety of reasons by the lowcostholidays representatives as to why we had been moved, including that the 'Cleopatra is closed' and also that there was a 'Health & Safety' problem there so they had moved guests out. All of which were complete lies. Having endured (and I mean endured) 1 night at the Grand Azure, we took a taxi to the Cleopatra to see for ourself what the situation was. Lo and behold they were very much open for business and told us that lowcostholidays had not paid their bill so they could not accept the bookings they had made (incidentally this situation became apparent several days before we traveled, making us even more annoyed to be told only on arrival).

To cut a long story short, we insisted that we be moved to the Cleopatra with immediate effect. Despite repeated attempts to persuade us otherwise by lowcost, we made it by the second night (we know of others who had to endure 4 nights at The Grand Azure). Once there we met other people who had similar tales of woe to tell. Basically, lowcost lied to everyone and did their best to keep people out of the Cleopatra. By the time we left lowcost guests were having to present their credit card details to secure their room (despite having paid lowcost once already) and trust that lowcost found the cash to pay them back!). In short, an absolute disgrace and the moral of the story is do not be put off by the low cost reps, dig in and stand your ground, you will get to The Cleopatra if you do!

The hotel management advised us that they will ceasing to trade with lowcost at the end of the agreed contract period (May 2011). Incidentally the management team dealt with the influx of harassed lowcost clients in exemplary fashion and went out of their way to explain the situation from their perspective and to ensure we had an enjoyable stay.

So was it worth the fight to get back to the hotel we had originally booked? Absolutely.

With the imminent arrival of our first child, we wanted a peaceful week with decent food and good service. This is exactly what The Cleopatra delivered. If you're looking for 'animation' and fun & frolics in the evening this is NOT the hotel for you. If, however, you are looking to kickback around a pool or hit the beach (both great), go snorkeling or just play cards in the bar at night, this is the place for you. It's very stylish and the staff are great.

Is it perfect? Of course not. The lunchtime options will be improved once the Beach Grill (under construction) is finished. The staff could communicate a little better between themselves also as, on a couple of occasions, we had to follow things up repeatedly before they were actioned. They also need to sort their alarm system out, which went off 3/4 times during our stay (once at 00.30). The Spa and Gym is also below the standard they should be aiming for. Perhaps they will build a custom facility but at the moment they are located in the ground floor of one of their family villas with machinery crammed in to small rooms. That said, the equipment itself is first class, it just needs a better home.

It was very quiet when we stayed with only about 20% occupancy as it was still only British planes flying in after the civil unrest in the country. So who knows how the hotel will deal with another 500 guests.

If we were headed back to Sharm we would not hesitate to stay here. It's a great hotel and very good value (compared to the likes of The Savoy).

Reviewed March 12, 2011

Just come back from our 1 week stay at this hotel.
It was perfect for a week away from normal life - weather was perfect, hot but with a breeze !

This is my 3rd time in Sharm & I know alot of the hotels but this stood-out as one of the best.
I would say this is 100% due to the management & staff who are working very hard to make this hotel be the best.
The hotel only opened in January hence, they are ambitious to make it work.

First of all, we thought our FULL BOARD deal was excellent value for money.
Food is an important factor for us...

Breakfast was adequate (buffet style).

Lunch was a slightly limiting snack menu but still a good choice of pizza. pasta, sandwiches etc & served on a lovely terrace overlooking the sea. I have to say that lunch on the first couple of days wasn't great as served slowly & cold. If this happens I would advise speaking politely to the manager (called Hesham), as we did. He took the feedback on board & promised to improve the following day - testament to him, it was vastly improved & continued to be fresh & delicious for the rest of our stay.

Dinner was the total highlight of our stay. There are 2 choices, the Market buffet or the italian restaurant called FELLINI. We would suggest Fellini every time! Here you get a 5 course set dinner served to you in a very pleasant restaurant. Everything we ate here was delicious & they went out of their way to accommodate my boyfriend who didn't eat meat.
The chef came out & met us on many evenings - he is a young & dynamic guy who trained in Cairo - I couldn't believe that he'd never been to Italy as food so good!
In addition, the waiters were so attentive & chatty (especially Mahmoud) which made the whole experience even better.
Also, we were slightly worried about the Egyptian-only wine list but, have no fear, all the wine is light & quaffable - especially the Obelisk rose - & at £12 a bottle, brilliant value!

Also, would recommend the spa for a lovely massage. Talk to Amir (the manager) & he will give you a good deal.

The only negatives for us were:
(1) Lack of Wifi - wasn't even working in the lobby as promised.
(2) Bed Comfort - think these could have been softer, especially the pillows.
(3) Pilli Pilli Pub - terrible excuse for a 'pub' ! Ghastly furniture & bright lighting & lack of drinks choice.
(4) Lack of atmosphere after dinner - none of the bar areas had any atmosphere, they really should make more use of the lovely terrace overlooking the sea where they could have had a DJ playing chilled music.....
(5) Music generally - they should perhaps pay more attention to this. At breaky they played rock music (?), dinner & lunch they had the same tunes on repeat every day & sometimes the CD would get stuck ! They should definitely invest in an Ipod!
(6) Swimming pool - there was only one pool that was heated. The lovely infinity pool was totally freezing!

Overall, we had a lovely break & would definitely go back & recommend.
(Thank you to Hesham Abou Zeid & his team for making this so special).

Reviewed March 9, 2011

If you need to get away for some sunshine and relaxation as I did - look no further.
- But what makes this hotel special is the service and atmosphere.
I was a bit wary as was going alone - so the friendliness of the staff helped make the trip. Raania, the Entertainment manager as well as another senior member of staff went out of their way to make me feel welcome - offering to have dinner with me on the first nights before I met new people there, (which is easy due to the great atmosphere) and even to the point of waiting for the transport with me and seeing me off personally when I left - truly have never experienced such wonderful hospitality before.

Like all the staff and aspects of the hotel, it is low key - which is what you want when you're escaping to the sun to relax - ie there are activities which you can join in if you like but its not in your face. Raania is extremely warm and enthusiastic and gives a really interesting daily Arabic and culture lesson as well as evening entertainment which are definitely worth attending.
Similarly all the staff are incredibly friendly and give great service - they will chat and joke around with those who want as they did with me and just be polite and discreet with those who prefer that.
This atmoshpere contributed to a great mood and amongst the guest too so it was a really relaxed and friendly place.

Was there during the unrest so I suspect it was even more peaceful than usual - only Brits there - you will never tire of the walk past the immaculately landscaped grass and flowers to the beach, where the wooden sunbeds with decent cushions and wicker windbreakers and fourposter beds overlooking the sea will make you forget any cold or stress back home.
It was pushing 28C in Feb - but beware apparently it can hit 50+C in summer.

Special mention of Haani - who is a great guy and looks after the beach. I'm not a confident swimmer and had never snorkelled. More than that- the way the corral reef works, the rocks just drop 70ft straight down at the end of the jetty. Yet with his help I just got in and swam, learning to snorkel, seeing thousands of the most weirdly coloured fish and sea life, swimming freely in the sea - an unforgettable experience.
There were only a few days though when it wasn't red-flagged and you could do so: it is quite windy with big waves at that time of year apparently (Jan;feb)

As others have said the food is pretty decent and unusually for me - no stomach complaints so all seems great there.

As always there are a few niggles - the fact they use only the fan and not full air-conditioning during winter- I understand that for them 25C is not warm but I found it uncomfortable for sleeping, getting covered with mosquito bites when i had to leave the patio door open. But some insect repellant and leaving the fan on seemed to do the trick.

Apart from relaxation, I did go snorkelling and quadbiking in the desert which is definitely great fun, Naama Bay and Soho Sq were the usual tourist traps you expect - though taking the "microbus" for a 10th price of a taxi is an experience - doing 80 careening across the road, being the only Westernert in a van with Egyptian workers and traditionalky dressed Bedouin was an experience!

The hotels facilities are great. Ive been to beach hotels where you get a bed and a white plastic chair- this has all the facilities you would expect in a city hotel, like internet, large safe, tea/coffee making facilities, great shower, big bed and additionally an endless supply of mineral water. (It's worth tipping the housekeeping guys as they leave you extra). All in all a great hotel and highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 8, 2011

As we hopped on the flight to Egypt/ Sharm El Sheikh last week (in the aftermath of recent civil unrest in Cairo) I had minor reservations. All doubts were erased upon arrival at the airport and put to bed for good once we arrived at the delightful Cleopatra Luxury Resort.

I won't revisit the obvious plus points which are reflected by other reviewers but I will say this.. I am a fussy traveller; I require cleanliness, high quality food and above all a good night's sleep, preferably, in opulent surroundings - all of which the CLR delivered with ease.

There are some teething issues. I would prefer to enjoy quiet beach time without the (incessant, hard-sell) from affiliated spa services/ day trip salesmen.

Equally, I prefer my daily veg' and OJ fresh. Porridge oats would be a dream. But these are minor (easily rectified, please) matters.

Evening entertainment is lacking but again, as I think someone mentioned before, an IPod docking system would go along way. Oh, and outdoor night lighting in the vast grounds would be appreciated, please.

All in all a lovely hotel, up there with some of the nicest (certainly aesthetically pretty) I've stayed in.

You won't regret staying here.

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank artforartsake
Reviewed March 8, 2011

This was one of the best holidays i have ever had! I went to stay there for 7 nights with my Mum and we had the most relaxing time ever. When we arrived however, there was a mix up with our room and the room they gave us was filthy and we had to wait for it to be cleaned at 3am in the morning when we arrived. Apart from that any issues we had were resolved asap. The receptionist was amazing extremely helpful. Rooms were huge and spacious and the bathroom was gorgeous. The pool area was so outstanding and they have a private beach. The only thing i would suggest is to make it really 5 star worthy they need to work on the cleanliness a bit more and perhaps clean rooms twice a day like a lot of other 5 star hotels do.

For a new hotel they have done exceptionally well! We did aerobics and the lady was so lovely and they have a gym which was great.

I would definitely 100% come back next year when the resort has more additions and it will be world class!

Wonderful Stay, Book now!

• Stayed: March 2011
Barcelo Tiran Sharm
Barcelo Tiran Sharm
#11 of 33 in Nabq Bay
Movenpick Resort Sharm El Sheikh Naama Bay
Movenpick Resort Sharm El Sheikh...
#11 of 231 in Sharm El Sheikh
Sharm El Sheikh Marriott Resort
Sharm El Sheikh Marriott Resort
#65 of 231 in Sharm El Sheikh
Radisson Blu Resort, Sharm El Sheikh
Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
#6 of 231 in Sharm El Sheikh

Been to Cleopatra Luxury Resort Sharm El Sheikh? Share your experiences!