“Hewitts”

Rixos Sharm El Sheikh
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We went as a couple on a last minuet holiday and it was fantastic. one week was not long enough, I would go back tomorrow if I could. The food was excellent, the only advice I would give if you want to eat in the "Al a carte" Restaurants book on your first day as they get very busy.
We spent most of our evenings at the Beach Bar and the bar tender "Memo" was a great he really looked after us, be worned his cocktails are strong!
We met some great people out there and they all loved the Hotel and would go back :0)

4  Thank Natalie H
TubaYolcu, Guest Relations Manager at Rixos Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear Natalie,
Greetings from sunny Sharm, thanks for your comments on Tripadvisor. We are so happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We also hope to welcome you soon at Rixos.

Warm regards from your Rixos Team.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

We had a great holiday here but the hotel has plenty of room for improvement. Rixos have got a really great place, beautiful gardens plenty of pools , gorgeous location looking out to the island and on the reef.
We are extremely puzzled though as our first few days were definitely a disappointment from our previous Rixos holidays in turkey, then suddenly on the sunday 24th there was a big change. The gardeners were out in force, more of an effort was being made at the beach bar, the lights were lit in the evening on the trees, the staff in the restaurants were a liitle more attentive. It was either someone special was coming for a visit ( my husband told me not to be cynical) or they had decided it was time to bring their A game.
We did visit customer relations on the Saturday am to discuss our disappointment but found this a less than satisfactory experience. We are big fans of the Rixos chain but this was not up to their usual high standard.Mostly to do with service and food.
The issues were minor but for example on frequent occasions there were no plates for the buffet, no cups for your drinks, glasses for your fruit juice etc . The food in the buffet was well below the equivalent Rixos turkey buffets and the snack bars were poor by most standard let alone 5*.
Undoubtedely the resort has enormous potential ,but they have a long way to go.
All the staff we had dealings with including the spa were suitably attentive and if you visit this hotel pay a visit to Ali and Lucas in the papyrus shop who were great fun and full of information.

Dear tablelamp42,
Greetings from Rixos Hotels and thanks for your sharings. We would like to inform that a fast action has been taken by Food and beverage Department according to your comments and a staff training done by our F&B manager according to your comments on managing restaurant operation.
We are very thankful for your positive comments and recommendations also your understanding. We are working to carry up the standart in Egypt conditions and happy to hear your Rixos expectations from us.
Hope to welcome you again on your next vacation and talk about the improvements and differences.
Warm regards,
Your Rixos Team.

Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Having just returned from the RIXOS I feel compelled to write about the fantastic time we had, I simply cannot believe some of the previous comments about this hotel, some people clearly will never be happy.

We are a family of 4 with 2 children aged 8 & 3 my parents also travelled with us. We stayed for 11 nights. We booked our flight with Thomson from Manchester which was fine on time and very comfortable and booked directly with the hotel for our stay. Prior to arrival I e-mailed the hotel and asked that they arrange a transfer for us, this was done at a fee of approx £30 and the lovely driver that collected us was friendly,helpful and very efficient. The whole process was very smooth.

We arrived at the hotel at approx 9pm, the check in process was efficient however we had no welcome tour or even given a map and given that we had 2 tired hungry children it was quite disorientating trying to find where we could eat in the dark!!! We did ask the reception staff an were given vague directions but given that the hotel is on a large site, this did not really help. We did eventually find the Zodiac buffet restaurant an first Impressions were not good however it did improve as the holiday went on.

We were shown to our room in block 4, my parents located in the room next door to ours, the room was lovely, everything you could possibly need and the largest nicest bathroom you could imagine. We had requested separate beds for our children, but had to make do with an inadequate pull out sofa bed on the first night, however this was soon resolved the next day after speaking with Kelly and Bella on guest relations.

The next morning the sun was shining and the hotel lay out was much clearer!!! We went to reception and Bella kindly booked all the Al a carte's for us for the duration of our stay, Kelly solved our room issues and we were very pleased with the response that we had to our minor issues. From there on in our holiday just got better and better, the whole of the hotel is immaculate, staff work so hard and always have a smile. The pool areas are stunning, however just a bit of a shame that most were out of action to us as they were so cold. Only 1 heated pool which was lovely but busy as a result.

The pool bar staff, in particular Nour who is an absolute credit to this hotel with his fast efficient and highly professional service, and Walid and his team of pool attendants were just amazing, they could not do enough for us and we appreciate all of their hard work in making our holiday a fantastic experience. Thanks also to chef Mohammed who was amazing with our children, always smiling and nothing too much trouble. The children's pools and the water slides went down a treat with the kids, and if they are happy we are happy.

We tried all of the Al a Carte Restaurants, all lovely, but our favourite was the Chinese and the Italian, the service in the Italian was slow, and they did appear to be understaffed, the food when it did arrive though was amazing. Ibrahim in the Egyptian Restaurant also went our of his way to give us the best experience possible. All of the staff were great with the kids and special little treats went a long way in making their stay rememberable. We ate at the beach snack bar most lunch times and it is lovely, thanks to the waiter Mohammed (who my son called the ice cream man) for his attentive service and his smiling face to greet my children. On an evening we had drinks in the piano lobby bar and Samir took excellent care of us, very relaxing environment and the best mojitos ever!!!!

This hotel is fantastic, without doubt the best we have stayed in in Sharm (this visit was our 6th visit all to different hotels) an we would definitely return. We tried out the Spa and we had a lovely experience, staff very good and experienced, a relaxing break from the children for a few hours. The children's disco on an evening is really good and they had lots of fun, the Rixy club staff however did not speak much English and as a result our children did not really feel welcomed at the kids club during the day, it was more catered towards our Russian friends which is a shame given the fantastic playground and facilities.

We would just like to extend our thanks again to everyone, an this includes management, who are visible figures around the hotel, always asking if everything is ok and if we required anything, we will definitely return and look forward to seeing all our new friends again in the near future,

Thanks once again
Mr & Mrs Jackson (Hartlepool)

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Dukes106

Dear Mr & Mrs Jackson,
Greetings from Rixos Hotels and thanks for sharing your comments with us. All our team are so happy with your kind comments also we will try to handle your reccomendations soon and improve your marked points on our service.
Hope to see you soon again at Rixos.
Regards,
Your Rixos Team..

Reviewed March 4, 2013

First time to Sharm and can not wait to go back
Lovely hotel and very palatial.
Excellent staff - bella is fabulous she gave us lots of tips - thankyou very much.
Fantastic room
Wonderful food and dining restaurants very easy to book.
Taxi very cheap to get around
shopping good and with lots of choice

We will be back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2  Thank Edward S
TubaYolcu, Guest Relations Manager at Rixos Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear Edward S,
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, we hope to hear from you soon for your next holiday plan. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further assistance.

Warm regards from your Rixos Team,

Reviewed March 1, 2013

This the first ever review that i have written = I must admit that I am a little sceptical of these review sites but after having stayed at the Rixos I am converted.

My partner booked this holiday for us and to be honest we looked at this hotel and two others, one being the Four Seasons and the Savoy - she chose The Rixos we did read all of the reviews in detail on this hotel prior to booking and it seemed that most of the work that had been carried out was completed - the hotel is truly wonderful.

We travelled via taxi the short distance and arrived to a very warm welcome Bella was one of the very first faces we saw and I have to say that she really does live up to her reputation of being welcoming, friendly and knowledgable - nothing is too much trouble for her.

The huge Chanderlier in reception is lovely.

Check was very painless and we went our our room - this was a deluxe room and it was lovely and it had everything that anyone on holiday could possibly need
The whole hotel is spotlessly clean and staff are constantly cleaning.
The concierge boys were very quick and efficient and very friendly.
The views from the room were lovely and the gardens are lovely.
The mini bar was fabulous and has a large choice to choose from - the hotel also has imported alcohol in some of its bars .
We had some wonderful towel art from the housekeeping staff so much so that we looked forward going back the room every afternoon.

Dining was very easy - we did read that some previous guests have had trouble in booking we had no problems what so ever but as there was so many places to eat all six a la carte restaurants were wonderful - the new Seafood restauarant was really good, The Nerfertiti restaurant was also good and Saaid was very good at what he does.

There are pleny of sunbeds around all of the swimming pools and we did not ever struggle to find somewhere to sit - the beach was lovely too.

All of the staff work so very hard to ensure that all of your requirements are met and it was so nice to see that there are British staff working on the Guest relations team - we saw Bella nearly everday and she always made time to stop and chat but more importantly she always asked if everything was ok, I know that lots of other holiday makers have commented on how good she is but believe me she is VERY GOOD - we have been so many hotels where the guest relations are not interested in helping but Bella really does go that extra mile and beacuse of this we will have no hesitation at all in returning.

Other than we had a fantastic time there is nothing really that i can say that has not bben said in previous reviews.
This is truly a lovely hotel and anyone that stays here will have a truly wonderful holiday

We cannot wait to return.

Big Thanks to Bella we really feel that we have made a good friend !!!!!!

9  Thank MrHoliday1967

Dear MrHoliday1967,

We are very greatful with your kind comments, thanks for sharing your experience at Rixos on Tripadvisor. All our team at your service for a nice stay. We hope we will have chance to serve you again on your next holiday.

Warm regards,
Your Rixos Team..

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Just come back from a week at this hotel staying in a suite. Room was amazing with plenty of space for the cot and lovely and clean. Over looked a nice pool but unfortunately not heated.
Went to the heated pool on the first two days but then didn't return as the music seemed to be getting louder and louder which wasn't good for our 4 month old which was a shame as wanted to get her swimming lots in the week. I like a bit of music and entertainment but it was just getting too loud. Entertainment staff seemed to be lacking interest at some points.
Restaurants were lovely and service good apart from one waiter getting aggressive with us cause we didn't sit in his area every night ( think he was worried about his tip ).
Beach and bar area clean and relaxing.
Didn't see any of the evening entertainment due to the baby. could hear it a little from the room but not enough to bother us apart from the Saturday night where it was on the beach and it sounded like it was in our room.
Bella very helpful when booking restaurants and lovely to chat to.
Had a lovely stay and hopefully will be back soon.

Room Tip: Nearer beach away from evening entertainment
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank 24elf
Kelly W, Manager at Rixos Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Dear Kkaren24Bristol

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay here with us.

Your comments have been forwarded to our Entertainment Manager and he will now monitor the volume of music around the heated pool.

Overall we can see you had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Kelly Walmsley

kelly.walmsley@rixos.com

Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

Trip advisor report
Rixos sharm

I preface the following review by saying i have stayed in 40 or 50 4 and 5 star hotels around the world including two others in sharm. I don't expect perfection and realise not everything will be great all the time. I have never needed to complain at any hotel i have stayed in before but the service at this hotel is so insanely bad I had to complain twice. This is not a 'nice' review but it is very honest. I've written it because my experience at this hotel is nothing like the reviews I read before I went and I think a reality check is called for. Before posting this review I took the time to discuss the various concerns with guest relations and offered twice to talk to the hotel manager and also the hotel owner (who happened to visit during my stay) but these offers were not taken up (perhaps an indication of how much they care about their customer views)

I posted a quick review of this hotel after my first night as the service was so bad - the following are the reflected thoughts after a weeks stay.

Welcome
--------
On arrival there was no welcome drink, just a businesslike check-in process. Because we arrived between 2130 and 2200 we were told dinner had finished and we could either get room service or go for late dinner at midnight. Given we were travelling with a 2 year old and a 4 year old we opted for room service rather than keep the tired little-ones up for 2 hours. On arrival at the room there was no room service menu and no one answered the room service phone either time I called. My kids therefore ate some crisps I happened to have in my bag but went to bed hungry. When i mentioned this the next day I was told a room service menu would be put in my room but this never happened during the stay.

Room
------
We had a family room which worked well as a format - kids could go to sleep while we chatted on the balcony outside the double room. For those that, like us, do not know what the website description of "optically separated room" means, it means there is a window between the rooms with a curtain and there is a door as well so the rooms can be separated fully (most pictures show a doorway so we weren't certain that there would actually be a door and were pleased there was one). Overall plenty of space for a family of four.

Minibar was inclusive and topped up fully and regularly, which was nice.

The air conditioning sounded like a hurricane - possibly the loudest I've ever heard, especially in the kids room. We had to switch it off most of the time so as not to wake them up.

The patio doors wouldn't lock and when I mentioned this on day one I was assured it would be fixed the next day, but it never was.

An interesting twist on the last day was to get a note saying I must leave behind bathrobes and slippers so as not to be charged for them. Interesting because these had been absent for the whole holiday. On calling reception they were clear they should have been in the room the whole time and I found myself in the strange situation of explaining why the hotel shouldn't make me pay for the robes and slippers that were never there (the implied insulting assumption being I had nicked them). I had been surprised by the lack of bathrobes and slippers when i arrived I must admit, but amongst the other problems assumed they simply didn't provide any for guests. It was therefore annoying to have to explain to the hotel their own error so as not to get a hefty bill on departure.

Main restaurant
-----------------
This will be the Zodiac if you have kids as you won't be allowed in the other main restaurant with kids under 12. Funny that - if people were excluded from a restaurant based on gender, skin colour, religion, disability or being elderly that would be seen as an outrage, but apparently the Rixos believe it is perfectly fine to discriminate against young children.

In the zodiac you will find

- the high chairs are all broken so your kids will be eating their food on a broken wooden table either with the plate in danger of falling to the floor or, if you are adventurous, the preferred technique seems to be to wedge the high chair at an angle on the main table, with the plate sliding back into your little one's lap and your child leaning back at a 20 degree angle. Of course, I have made a slightly bold assumption you will find a high chair at all.

- "Service" doesn't exist, not because the staff aren't hard working but because they are so few of them. For example at breakfast it wasn't until day 5 that a waiter actually poured us some coffee. Unless you are in as the restaurant as it opens, the breakfast routine would seem to be to

- walk in,
- find the least dirty table and clean it yourself
- collect knives and forks from other tables where they weren't all used - don't expect to find a table ready for you
- wonder over to the coffee machine which may have coffee or milk but probably not have coffee and milk together
- go to coffee machine 2 which is at the opposite end of the room and hope it has the opposite shortage
- Only go to the omelette station if there is no queue as, if a queue forms at the omelette station, they start undercooking the food to get through the queue faster so we had half cooked food two mornings.
- scrape the burnt Mickey Mouse pancake off the bottom of the tray (they don't cook enough of them)
- there is no option to pick up anything close to a full English - even the baked beans were a total miss so don't try
- the scrabbled eggs will be cold most days so you may like to think twice about these
- Expect a few surprises, for example, mashed potato for breakfast isn't something I've seen before very often ...

On the plus side the pastries and cheeses were actually very good and the croissants were warm and fresh.

At all mealtimes the chronic understaffing creates a palpable air of stress in the hard working staff - the staff are clearly often abused by management and we overheard several confrontations on the restaurant floor. Again I can't think of another hotel where this would be done in front of guests rather than behind the scenes. As a result the staff are continually trying to mention what a good job they are doing.

At dinner the "make up your own table, don't expect a clean one routine" is largely the same as at breakfast and you will quite often not get a drink until you are half way through your meal (unless you go to the bar yourself). Also, because they have some themed restaurants (see below) the food in the main restaurant is almost identical every night so save yourself the effort of looking around and just eat what you had the night before.

Themed restaurants
---------------------
You will be lied to about the themed restaurants. To book them you must queue (you can't just phone) and you will probably be told they are full for the next three nights on arrival (not much use on a 7 day trip). You will have to queue every morning for up to 20 mins if you want to try each of them and you will be booking your choice of cuisine for 3 nights time (hardly relaxed or spontaneous). apart from this being annoying, the lie is that the restaurants are actually only ever half full. It's hard to tell whether this is because they are trying to keep costs down or because they are too short staffed to run them at capacity but i took some photos of the reality to show guest relations. You will be told it is because people sign up on the list then don't go, but if this were the case a competent management team would change the system rather than blaming those pesky customers.

Beach bar restaurant at lunchtime
----------------------------
we couldn't get a table during our stay to eat there in the evening but at lunch the portions ranged from adequate to laughable. The main course portion of pasta we ordered was so tiny the waiter at least had the grace to understand my laughter and bring a second portion (please note I am not a greedy person and I have a bmi of 21) - anyone would have mistaken the main course for a starter). We generally sat on partially clean tables after a half hearted wipe of the previous guests mess on to the floor by a member of staff.

On the Friday of our week stay the hotel owner came for lunch and it was noticeable that the number of staff doubled in this restaurant and we were actually offered a second drink for the first time! He will have left thoroughly and wrongly convinced the service is fine having seen 3 extra members of staff, who weren't there any other day, generally looking busy and impressive. Only on that Friday were we offered a coffee after the meal.

Portion control was also a problem on the fajitas - worth ordering just for the comedy value though (or order 2 if you really do want lunch).

Poolside restaurant
-------------------
portions were pretty random and, on one occasion small enough that my little two year old, who had been served an adult portion, screwed up his face in concentration after his meal to say the longest sentence of his life so far (which I was proud of whilst simultaneously feeling a sense of sorrow to hear his words) "more chips please daddy". If they can't give enough food (served on a polystyrene dish with no cutlery, nor napkins) to feed a small 2 year old then you can imagine what it was like. The same food (choice of 6 different things with fries) was served every day at this bar. Also, if you have a family expect to make several trips back and forth with drinks and food as no staff will help you carry the food and drinks.

Snorkelling
-----------
house reef was quite good with a jetty out to the drop off. However we were either unlucky or the currents are quite strong as it was red flagged most days and yellow the rest. I love snorkelling so this was a bit of a shame. We never saw a green flag but can't say whether this is typical or unusual as we were only there for a week.

Beach
------
pretty good by sharm standards, quite sandy. There is a beach bar but don't expect anyone to bring you a drink or anything - strictly go get your own.

Swimming pools
----------------
you will have seen the pictures of a beautiful organic pool with a few guests dotted around. That is absolutely what you will find. The reason the pool is so uncrowded is that that pool is freezing and no one goes in the water more than once. The main pool is actually not the one you generally see in the photos and would be very nice if it wasn't so massively overcrowded (in places it is 4 sunloungers deep to the pool). On the Friday (day 5, the day the owner visited) we actually got offered a drink at our sunbed for the first and only time - not sure if this was a result of the owner being there for the day or just got lucky but it was a, by then, unexpected surprise. Needless to day, this didn't happen the next day or any other day when the owner wasn't there.

Expect booming music all morning as the animation team try to ensure no one has a relaxing time. I know some people do like the animation activities (as least 15 of the 500 people around the pool were joining in) but it wasn't the ambiance I was looking for personally.

On the plus side the kids section of this pool is very good and there are a variety of shallow pool heights and some fun small kids slides on the shape of a duck, frog and fish which my kids loved.

Sadly the main waterside pool was not heated for the first four days of our stay but was finally heated by the time we left so was nice for the last day.

Spa
----
a rather intimidating welcome for my wife from a gang of six male staff. She was uncomfortable being escorted to the shower by a male member of staff who waited outside while she showered (towel had to be hung outside the shower cubicle) in all it was very odd (read borderline pervvy). Treatments were generally relaxing but there was no health questionnaire so they had no idea if she was pregnant (she wasn't) or had any back problems (she does) or other health issues etc before any of the massages. No post-spa drink was offered after any of the 4 treatments (we bulk booked at the start) despite the facilities being available. The final aromatherapy treatment was lacking in aroma and lacking in any real massage technique.

Glass bottom boat trips
--------------------
You probably don't want to go on one so save yourself some time and get a sign made up before you arrive to hang above your sunbed. Having to think of 14 polite ways to say "no" gets a little tedious (14 is 7 days x twice a day). You may wish to consider adding a "no spa for me" or "I've already booked my spa treatments" section on your banner as the spa also send out several different sales reps each day who won't recognise you so will ask you again and again if you want some treatments.

Kids playground
---------------
A first class facility - really very good. An excellent climbing frame, lots of toys, all in good condition food and drink available for the kids right there in the centre. This was the highest quality section of the resort without doubt.

Guest relations
-------------
If you end up here and unhappy it is worth seeking out Kelly or Nicole from guest relations - there are some things they can do to help and they are good representatives for the hotel. However, personally having been to Sharm four times, I'd go to the Hyatt regency instead until this place fixes its attitude towards its customers, hires enough staff, and starts offering 5-star service at 5-star prices rather than the current offering of 3-star service at 5-star prices. It's a real shame because they actually have a great property that could be so much better run.

• Stayed: February 2013
16  Thank xboshx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nabq Bay
Stella Di Mare Beach Hotel & Spa
Stella Di Mare Beach Hotel & Spa
#3 of 231 in Sharm El Sheikh
Movenpick Resort Sharm El Sheikh Naama Bay
Movenpick Resort Sharm El Sheikh...
#12 of 231 in Sharm El Sheikh
Rixos Seagate Sharm
Rixos Seagate Sharm
#2 of 33 in Nabq Bay
Four Seasons Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Four Seasons Resort Sharm El She...
#4 of 231 in Sharm El Sheikh

Been to Rixos Sharm El Sheikh? Share your experiences!