“What a shame”

Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Nabq Bay
“What a shame”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

What a shame!
Like all are saying it will be a lovely hotel the only problem is we paid for a lovely hotel only to come to a building site. The. Beach is basically a building site. Lagoon pool is closed. Everybody is blaming everyone else getting know where.
Told the day before we flew thompsons are offering us all 15percent. That is of course off One of their holidays what a joke

Must say the staff are fabulous and nothing is to much trouble
Dissapointed

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Redrob123
RGASharm, Manager at Rixos Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Redrob123

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay here with us.

It was unfortunate that you stayed here with us during this change of management. As you are aware we were improving the facilities and did this with as little disruption as possible to our guests.

Unfortunately we can not be held responsable for the information/services provided by your Tour Operator, we can only assure you that on returning you will have a fantastic stay here with us and will be able to take advantage of all our new and improved facilities.

We look forward to you returning in the future.

Kelly Walmsley
Rixos SSH
kelly.walmsley@rixos.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (866)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

One word for this hotel is amazing. Yes there was building work going on during our stay, which we werent expecting but I dont necessarily blame the hotel for this but First Choice for not informing us, which I have complained about as we booked this holiday in March so no excuse. We were determined not to let it spoil our holiday and it didnt, luckily it wasnt that busy so pool areas etc were fine to find a peaceful spot. The food is fantastic with plenty of choices, the a la carte restaurants were fabulous, the only one we didnt eat at was the italian but the Indian, Chinese and Egyptian were all beautiful. The whole complex is kept immaculate with constant maintenance work going on. The thing that makes this hotel that little extra special though is quite simply the staff, I have never come across staff like it. They cannot do enough for you and are always smiling and being friendly, especially Sameh at the swim up bar and Ahmed at the lagoon bar. If its true and this hotel is being taken over by the Turkish, they need to be careful they dont spoil this aspect of the hotel as this would be such a shame. I doubt we would be able to go again after it changes to a 7* as am assuming prices will go through the roof and I dont think First Choice are staying there either but I wouldnt hesitate if I could get the chance. One of the best hotels I've stayed at and would love to see it once all the work is finished :-)

Room Tip: Pool view are always good and if you can afford it get a suite overlooking beach with your own priva...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Suzanne B
TubaYolcu, Guest Relations Manager at Rixos Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Suzanne,

We are so sorry for the inconvenience that we gave during your stay and very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the service which we gave. We hope to welcome you soon again in Rixos Sharm El Sheikh and have the opportunity to serve you with our new concept and facilities. You should try our Seafood restaurant which is at the seaside, we highly reccommend it. And we would like to also inform that David Vendetta will be with us for the new year countdown.
Hope to see you soon and please do not hesitate to contact us for any question or assistance.
Your Rixos Sharm El Sheikh Team
sharmelsheikh@rixos.com
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We had two weeks in the RGA from 9th sept the staff were brilliant and the hotel was very clean and the food was fab we ate most meals in the zodiac restaurant where there was lots of lovely choices and if you wanted something not on the menu all u had to do was ask, nothing was too much trouble for the chefs and waiting staff so thank u very much . The down died was all the building work that was going on spoilt our holiday a bit for us. but the way we were treated by all the staff was fab a big thank you to all especially Kelly ( guest relations) we will book to come back here again hoping to be there for Xmas and new year would definitely recommend this hotel but please get rid of the cement mattresses.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the royal pool and restaurant if u want quiet .
4 Thank Jackie R
TubaYolcu, Guest Relations Manager at Rixos Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Jackie R,

Thanks for your comments and choosing us on your vacation. We are willing to welcome you on Xmas. Hope to see you soon.

Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Just retured from a week's holiday and we had a great time but having been to Lara Beach in Turkey last 2 years they have 'a bit to go yet' to compare with their 5 star all inclusive!! Only water in mini bar !! no housecoat or slippers unless in junior suite (standard in Turkey) cold drinks were always warm!!! Lagoon pool looked amazing but unfortunately closed which we weren't advised of or the building works that were going on around the hotel complex!! Food was 5 star excellent in all restaurants and staff always friendly and helpfull As compensation for the inconvenience ask to keep your room on for free on day of departure if needed.

Room Tip: Garden view if you don't want the noise from the pool area.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
TubaYolcu, Guest Relations Manager at Rixos Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear tricia m,

Thanks for your comments. Our hotel started to serve under the brand Rixos after 15th October. Services which are presented during your stay is related for Royal Grand Azure Management but after 15th October we serve rich minibar choce, slipper and bathrobe in all rooms, etc.. We hope you will choose us again and see our all new services.

Birmingham
Reviewed September 30, 2012

First glimpse of the hotel I was astonished at the sheer size of the hotel and the beautiful surroundings that I was set to stay in.

On arrival our check in was very quickly processed and we were given a delightful drink refreshing after such a long journey and quickly ushered to our rooms, the room itself was pleasant spacious and everything you'd need from a hotel room the only down side was the slab of concrete I had to sleep on !!

The food in the hotel was of a very good standard a few meals I didn't enjoy but on a 2 week stay I could deal with that, I also found the food in the al a carte restaurants to be very nice the only disappoint was the Indian wasnt what I expected it to be but on the all very pleasent evening or 2 spent in these restaurants must also mention the service in the al a cartes was of a very high standard. The cocktail list needs to be a bit more exciting too being as its a supposed 5* hotel the choice was pretty limited although my other half drank her fair share of the Jamaica cocktail :()

The swim up bar in the lagoon pool was heaven to relax and get away from the scorching heat and a good excuse for a few beers the service on the whole was good. The entertainment pool service however was a different story there was one bar man to serve all the guests which sometimes meant a lengthy wait I feel they need more staff here especially when the lagoon pool was shut down meaning extra people at the main pool.

The grounds of the hotel are amazing and well maintained surely a daunting task in such heat, but they looked lovely. The beach too was a nice place to relax there was a nice wind down there that was refreshing also to refresh you was the beach bar serving snacks and drinks throughout the day service again impeccable.

I feel that is a fair summery of the plus points of the hotel but on the downside there were a few.

The first week was amazing but then nightmare began I booked this hotel advertised as a 5* (which I'm sure it will be after the takeover is completed) so that we could relax nowhere did it state in the brochure there would be jcb diggers driving around, pools closed, banging at 8am, building materials just left out in the open for you to trip over!! The lagoon pool closed after the first week, the jetty was frequently closed most of the day apparently a tiger shark sighting nothing to do with all the painting that was going on. This was not something you expect I feel the hotel should have closed down for a month till the work was finished then reopened. I felt first choice whom we travelled with would have been more helpful with the situation but yet again they'd received there money so really didnt care.

The only down side was the entertainment throughout the day I really enjoyed all the games and banter the staff puttin in a lot of effort to keep everyone entertained. But when the sun went down that was it the night entertainment was pretty dour don't get me wrong there were a couple of good nights but on the whole the nights were a shocker !!!

I would return to this hotel but I wouldn't be rushing back anytime soon I'd want assurances that the building work was all complete.
Cheers to Kelly (guest relations) for being really helpful a sorting out our queries. Shame we didn't gt an apology of all the main manager that were walking around.

• Stayed September 2012
5 Thank moses1985
TubaYolcu, Guest Relations Manager at Rixos Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear moses1985,

Thanks for your detailed and valuable comments. We would like to give some feedback according to your experiences. Our Indian restaurant has a modern Indian menu because original Indian food is so spicy so we tried to choose a menu which will be enjoyed by our guest, so your comments so valuable to improve our menu choices. We are training our staff to serve you better cocktails, and we also improved our so many services as you mentioned on your comments. We hope that you will come to Rixos Sharm El Sheikh again and share with us your comments again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We have just returned from our annual holiday booked Sept 2011, this was meant to be a relaxing peaceful holiday in a 5* hotel giving us some luxury. This was NOT the case we arrived as the building work began and it got progressively worse day by day the main lagoon pool was shut the entire time, diggers, circular saws, hammering, flat bed trucks that were on a death wish to run us over, workmen everywhere every day all day and into the night, the water slides were shut 2 days before our return and painted with a very strong substance which seeing as our rooms were opposite filled our room with the vapours, this was extremely unpleasant and made me wheeze as I am slightly asthmatic. At one point there was arc welding going on and no protection for the eyes of people staying there only for the workmen. This was not the holiday we paid £2800 for!!! The staff were lovely and food nice. Everyone was concerned First Choice had not told us before arriving however this was the hotel managements fault we found out. Everyone was saying how lovely it would be when finished and this I cannot doubt as Rixos seem a premium chain, however this does not detract from the fact it ruined our holiday now and no one seemed to really care!! We were allowed to have the ultra all inclusive as a sorry but this did not cut it in my eye as it only meant you could eat in the executive lounge the best bit about our holiday. I would recommend NOT going to this hotel until at least January 2013 as maybe then everything will be complete and the Hotel settled with the new management. All in all I would not have paid anymore than I did for my holiday to Tunisia in a 3* hotel last year which was £1400 and I had an amazing time with no building work.

Room Tip: rooms near the water slide and nearer the beach are quieter and have more sun, 2nd floor a good opti...
4 Thank CarolineUK_69
Dear CarolineUK,

Thanks for your comments and sorry for the inconvenience that you had during your stay. We hope that you will stay with us again and send us an e-mail before your arrival. We would like to welcome you personally as Rixos Guest Relation Team and give full assistance during your stay for a happy holiday. We hope you will enjoy our new services and standarts.
Regards,
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Myself and the wife went for a week between 8th September and the 15th. When we first arrived outside we were met and taken to the check in desk by a member of staff. Good start I thought and the reception area is very grand and maybe one of the best I have seen. Once checked in something strange we were taken to what I can only describe as a narrow staircase to get to the hotel rooms.
I thought to myself how would someone elderly or with needs cope with these stairs, where are the lifts, what sort of 5 star hotel does not have lifts. Later found out there is lifts but they are hidden behind a giant plant and have not worked for a long time.
It gets better our room was on the 2nd floor and guess what no lifts, so four flights of stairs later we arrived.OK for me I'm 37 but if your 67 make sure you get a ground floor room.
Very nice room and I thought this could be OK.

I awoke after the 1st night and could not move, the bed was the hardest bed I have ever ever slept in. That and the turbo air con system made for a very bad night sleep oh and the fact our room was facing the speakers in the main pool so much for a peaceful week away.
Left with no choice we had to speak to guest relations to ask for a move, Kelly was very helpful and had us moved to a suite next to the quiet pool.
A lot better now, nice and quiet. Still a rock hard bed so I guess it must be a Egyptian thing.

Unfortunately the peace did not last long, Drilling, Grinding, JCB digging, flat bed vans driving down the footpaths etc etc made it awful and we had to escape to the beach but even there was not great with work taking place down there too.
Something that I will never forget was the sight of a builder on a footbridge that spanned the pool learning over to get under the bridge with a 240v drill while the pool was full of people !
Then we had the guy welding with no safety equipment on and people dripping wet walking past. For me that was the last straw and I had to report it to Kelly at guest relations who in fairness had no idea that this work was taking place and having spoke to the GM it was decided to close the whole lagoon pool.

On to the food, the first 4 days was very very average and poor lack of choice, that bad one lunch time my wife had nothing but soup and bread. It took a out burst from another guest who is a regular guest at the hotel for the food to improve over the next few days. We just got the feeling that the hotel were trying to use what stock they had and empty the cupboards so to speak before Rixos takes over.
In fairness the a la carte restaurants I thought were very good, be warned though there is no mild curry on the menu in the Raj.

The drinks are very poor too, no branded alcohol at all and someone who likes to drink Bacardi I found the cheap copy ( which was black ) very bad.
The lager was nice though.
No mini bar in your room, again not 5* service. All 5* hotels should provide a free mini bar in your room. In Turkey you get cans of beer and a bottle coke and water put in your fridge every morning not here. Here you get just a bottle of water.
I did find it strange that the bar by the pool did run out of glasses very often yet the hotel was only a third full.

The entertainment was dreadful in the evening and there is not a lot to do. I found it very strange that the beach bar closed at 6 ! this would have been a ideally location for a evening drink and a outside dance by the sea.

My last holiday was at the Concorde Hotel, Lara Beach in Turkey and was better in every department. In fact it blows Rixos Sharm out of the water. For example in the the evening they had the Moscow State Circus this hotel had some Brit girl trying to sing. The kids play area in Turkey was out of this world with mini pool, in door play area, football pitch.Don't go here if you have kids, I have two kids 7 and 14 and so thankful they did not come because they would have been very bored. The kids club was one of the worst I have seen from outside and was just a hotel room with a small bit of play equipment

The only thing for me what made it worth while, was the staff. People say there are just after tips but that is utter rubbish. Our cleaner worked his socks every morning and would not even take water from me because it could cost him his job ! On the last day when we were leaving I saw him and gave 50 Egyptian pounds ( £5 ), the poor guy nearly starting crying.
Same with Mohammad at the pool bar he work so hard and never expecting anything and Sa'id in the restaurant soon as he saw me a drink was on my table.

I hope Rixos make this hotel the same standard as the hotels you find in Lara Beach,Turkey and I am sure they will but they have a long way to go yet and what concerns me is the prices have already gone up before the hotel has establish it self as one of the best in Egypt. You can't charge 5* luxury prices just on the Rixos name.Hence why First Choice/Thomson have pulled out.I very much doubt we will go back.
One thing Rixos need to address is the lack of lifts, you can not expect elderly people to walk up and down stairs when its 35oC.

Finally I would recommend this hotel for couples who are after a quiet ( once the work is done ) week or two.
Don't go here if you have active kids.

Room Tip: If you find stairs hard work ask for a ground floor room.
3 Thank Macky100
Dear Macky100,
Thank you for your comments. Our Guest Relation and Front Office Team is always ready during your check-in give assistance for our guests specified room requests. We have 695 rooms and if any guest asks a room at groun floor, with pleasure we are ready to arrange it.
According to Rixos Concept we have inclusive minibar with 2 bottles water, 2 cokes, 1 diet coke, 1 fanta, 1 sprite,1 beer, 1tonic, 1 mineralwater and 2 juices which is refreshing each day 1 time. With pleasure we inform you that we improved our minibar service as Rixos Concept. Also in our 2 lobby bars we are serving imported alcohols according to inclusive concept. From each bar you can get beverage menus to see inclusive and extra drinks.
Each night we are performing dance shows, Egyptian night with belly dancer and tennures, competitions and Circus show for kids, also each night Rixy Kids Disco and competitions, all day long sport activities and pool games, etc... We are opening a kids club which is on a 1200m2 area with art attelier, restaurant, sleeping and game rooms and game ground.
We hope you will stay with us soon again and give us feed back about our improvements and support our trainings with your notices.
Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nabq Bay
Stella Di Mare Beach Hotel & Spa
Stella Di Mare Beach Hotel & Spa
#2 of 234 in Sharm El Sheikh
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,203 reviews
Cleopatra Luxury Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Movenpick Resort Sharm El Sheikh Naama Bay
Movenpick Resort Sharm El Sheikh...
#15 of 234 in Sharm El Sheikh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,974 reviews
Rixos Seagate Sharm
Rixos Seagate Sharm
#1 of 32 in Nabq Bay
Four Seasons Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Four Seasons Resort Sharm El She...
#4 of 234 in Sharm El Sheikh
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,625 reviews
Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
#5 of 234 in Sharm El Sheikh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,918 reviews

Been to Rixos Sharm El Sheikh? Share your experiences!