“Good and Bad....”

Rixos Sharm El Sheikh
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Having travelled to Sharm in November 2010 we were very excited to be going back. On our last trip we stayed at the Reef Oasis Blue Bay with Thomson and had the most amazing time, however we couldnt get that hotel for our stay at the beginning of July so decided on the Royal Grand Azure (RGA) as it was still 5 star and premium, we booked with First Choice and travelled with Thomson.

Cons - Unfortunatley our first impressions were not good, prior to travelling I came on Trip Advisor and found out from other travellers that there was a guest relations lady called Kelly I could contact before my stay as I had a few concerns with our booking. I emailed her in February and when she replied she didnt seem to be concerned with the points raised in my email. I let it go and hoped this was just a one off. As it was my birthday when we were on holiday my partner decided to email Kelly a week before we travelled to arrange some surprises while we were there, she did not even reply to his email and when we arrived in resort the other guest relations lady did not even aknowledge receiving the email which meant all the things my partner wanted to arrange could not be done. They even told us we could not pay for a bottle of champagne as they did not stock champagne, however we found out they did but they just could not be bothered to order it from their sister hotel. As it was my birthday on the first day of the holiday it ruined what would of been a lovely day and we ended up going out to Naama Bay as we had such a bad first day in the hotel. We also had issues with Bella who was also guest relations, she was very rude to us when we entered the adults only dining room that evening as my partner had smart shorts on and you can only wear trousers (even though there were people in sports tops and joggers) she near enough shouted us out of the restaurant infront of other guests and refused to allow us to even speak, I ended up in tears- another great start to the holiday and my birthday. After this I went and spoke to our First Choice rep who was brillaint (thank you Wael) and he apologised and got the receprtion manager to come and speak with us and he was great and told us to go to him during our stay if we needed anything, this was lovely of him but whats the point in hiring guests relations when they cannot be bothered to do their job and make guests feel uncomfortable...
Also be careful when booking your rooms, we requested a double room and paid for sea view but when we checked in we had a twin room with pool view, they did however move us straight away but our shower didnt work so we then had to move again - this time they upgraded us to a Junior Suite due to all the propblems we had (please note in standard rooms the shower is over the bath and drips out - no power at all) the Junior Suite had a seperate shower and was much nicer. We also requested an iron one night and it took 2 hours and 7 phone calls to arrive so bear that in mind if you are going out as it delayed our evening.

Pros - The bar and pool staff are great, they are very friendly but know when to leave you alone. There are lots of pools and when we went (1st July) the hotel was only 30% full so there were lots of sunbeds, we stayed at the lagoon pool as it was a bit more adult friendly. The bedroom (once we moved) was very modern and clean and the housekeepers are fantastic, I made sure I left a tip for them as they really do a fantastic job in the rooms. There are a few bars in the evening to go to, the lobby bar has the entertainment team and is best for adults after 10.30pm when they have finished all the games. The pool bar is open until midnight for a quieter drink. We did enjoy ourselves after the initial problems but they must improve on the customer service given by guest relations - considering they hire english people for guest relations you would expect more, thank goodness First Choice hired a fantastic rep who was so great with everything and turned the holiday round for us.

Sharm - As we have been before we knew where to go out of resort, we spent 2 evenings at The Camel Bar in Naama Bay, chilled, good drinks, funky music and nice people. I would also recommend the Steak House in Soho Square if you are looking for a nice meal out - although we were all inclusive it was nice to go out for a change - fyi men must wear trousers in this restaurant - if not they give you trousers to put on!!

All in all, this hasnt put us off Egypt as its a great place, great people and fantastic weather but I would probably go back to the Reef Oasis Blue Bay over the RGA.

Room Tip: Try and book a sea view room as they seem to be the quieter rooms
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kelbel1986

Dear Kelbel1986

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay here with us.

It was unfortunate that you did not find my new email address I had posted on a the Royal Grand Azure forum on Trip Advisor as we were currently changing Management Companies, I no longer had the same email address you used in February from the end of May. You had already mentioned to myself via email that it was your birthday and what we could offer, recommendations were made and this was something you would look into on arrival. Nothing was mentioned by yourself regarding this matter after your arrival.

Unfortunately there was a misunderstanding with the Champagne as this is something we do not offer as it is very expensive here in Egypt, we offer sparkling wine which you chose not to purchase.

It is very common in 5* resorts all over the world to have a dress code, we provide this information in the brochure, on your arrival information and also on a sign on entrance to all outlets. All of these indicate our no shorts – trousers only policy. It was unfortunate that at the time of you entering the Royal Dining Room our Outlet Manager was occupied with another guest so could not reiterate the information already provided. After discussing the situation with the members of staff that spoke with you at the time, Bella our English Guest Relation was asked to assist the waiter as you were upset this continued with Bella so this matter was then passed on to our Front Office Manager.

During the email correspondence your main concern was your room allocation twin beds with pool view, I confirmed to yourself if you have booked a twin pool view room , I confirmed this was the booking we had received. On arrival you asked for a king bed which was allocated to you immediately. Unfortunately on your second day there was a delay in the iron being sent to your room, as an apology from the Management we upgraded you to a Junior Suite.

I can also see from your review that you were impressed with the staff and service in the bar areas this has been forwarded to the Management, this will then be passed to their teams.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write about your stay here with us.

There are newer reviews for Rixos Sharm El Sheikh

Reviewed July 13, 2012

My husband and I have been to Sharm 5 times now and this hotel is the best one we have been to! The hotel itself is beautiful, clean and stylish. The rooms are spotless and specious. The food is the best we’ve had for AI. It’s the first time neither of us had the ‘bug’. The Indian, Chinese and Italian are lovely. Egyptian was nice just not my taste.
As for the staff - they make this hotel. From the cleaners to management they could not have been more friendly or helpful! Kelly and Bella are an asset to this hotel. The even helped me find a dentist when I chipped my tooth!! I have found previously in Egypt that some staff can be over powering when being friendly but the staff at RGA are really friendly without being in your face which is lovely. I miss them all already :( It’s the first time I have been on holiday and really not wanted to come home after the 2 weeks.

Kelly/Bella - Please could you give me an email address to get prices for Ovtober - still cant see it on First Choice :( Thank you

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GonzoHawick
Reviewed July 13, 2012

The whole resort is just fantastic... the architecture, the pools, the rooms, even the bathrooms... Food is great, in both restaurants as well as in the italian (which for me is number 1) and in the indian restaurant (I did not try the other restaurants yet). All the staff, their kindness and their attention just make me feel to be a part of it. It's so hard to go, so I know I will go back later this year. The animationteam make the day, it's such fun to dance chocolate, opa opa and yara yara several times each day :-) Also the evening shows are great, the dance show last week was just fantastic! Without them, something very important would be missing, so thanks a lot to Tamer, Ashraf, Hazem, Lido, Amr, Rana, Tamara, Jimmy,Olga and so on... just to all of them. Thanks to all of them... I just had wonderful holidays there and I will be back as soon as possible.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Gabriella S

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review of your stay here with us.

Your comments have been passed on to the relevant managers who will pass them on to their teams.

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

I arrived and entered the very impressive reception area which definitely had a wow factor. Check in was efficient and freindly and I was taken to my room by golf buggy as this hotel is vast and very well spread out.

My standard double bedroom was very large and very well furnished and equiped and I had no problems with cleanliness etc. The only downside was my balcony was tiny and quite shaded but I never sat out there so It wasn't and issue for me but might put others off. Looking around the other hotel buildings, the other balconies and terraces were much bigger in comparison.

The hotel grounds are massive, nicely laid out and very pretty with lots of flowers, shrubs and palms, all tended my a team of gardeners who worked throughout the day to keep things immaculate.

The hotel beach was the best I have seen in Sharm, very sandy and nicely laid out. The only issue was the size of the plastic glasses used at the beach bars, but I managed to hold onto a larger one from one of the pool bars and the bar staff didnt seem to mind..

The pool areas were vast with lots of sun loungers/mattresses available and there was plenty of space for everyone and fresh towels daily.

The food was a bit of an issue and the emphasis seems to be on quantity rather than quality. The main restaurant was abit of a scramble at times so I ate in the adults only Royal restaurant on an evening which was a bit less hectic but quite gloomy due to the poor lighting. The adults restaurant had a dress code of no shorts and flip flops so at least that enhanced the dining experience slightly.

You can dine in the 5 speciality restaurants by prior reservation and I did manage to eat in the Indian restaurant one evening but the food was extremely bland and didnt even tast like it has been salted and there was a distinct lack of any Indian spices.

Throughout my holiday the hotel staff were all very friendly and efficient and went out of ther way to make sure you have an enjoyable stay.

Overall I enjoyed my stay and would return to this hotel but would appreciate it if the quality of the food could be improved.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Geordietraveller8

Dear Geordieteaveller8

I can see that you stayed here with us in April, we have now improved the lighting in the Royal Dining Room to make it that little bit lighter, also during May the quality of food was reviewed and this has also now changed. Your comments regarding the Indian food have been passed on to our Food & Beverage Director but It was nice to read overall you had an enjoyable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back, even just to see the changes and improvement we have made.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

me my friend and parents visited this hotel may 26th 2012 for a week, i have visited ahrm 3 times before and stayed at tropicana grand azure which was also lovely, but by far royal grand azure was the most amazing hotel.
this hotel is huge and the grounds are beautful, but i will warn you now you will get lost!, there are two main restraunts and the food at both of these where lovely and plenty of veriaty, we also tried the la carte restruant which were also lovely.

The rooms at the hotel are lovely, spacious and clean, are room was cleaned every morning, are room was on the ground fllor right next to the pool where the animation team were, me and my faimily sat at this pool every day, the entertainment around the pool was brilliant and me, my friend and my mum often joined in with the aqua aerobics, streches and cocktail games, the entertainment in the evening was very entertaining and funny, all the animation team were amazing espically HAZEM, he was very friendly, energetic, so funny, and every day he would come over and speak to me and my family.

I would like to thank Hazem and the rest of the animation team for the best holiday iv ever had, i feel the animation them are the ones that make this hotel the best hoilday, i would defently vist royal grand azure again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2012

For the second time this year, I've spent my holidays in this great hotel. And it was a dream holiday again. Since having been there, I just can't book holidays in another hotel. All the staff, their kindness and their attention just make me feel to be a part of it. It's so hard to leave each time, so I know I will go back later this year. The whole resort is just fantastic... the architecture, the pools, the rooms, even the bathrooms... Food is great, in both restaurants as well as in the italian (which for me is number 1) and in the indian restaurant (I did not try the other restaurants yet). Animation team has changed a lot since I've been there the last time, but now there seems to be a good harmony in that team. They make the day, it's such fun to dance chocolate, opa opa and yara yara several times each day :-) Also the evening shows are great, the dance show last week was just fantastic! Without them, something very important would be missing, so thanks a lot to Jimmy, Tamer, Ashraf, Hazem, Lido, Amr, Rana, Tamara, Olga and so on... just to all of them. Also the friend I was travelling with, said they make you feel part of the Royal Grand Azure family, I hope nobody of them will leave until the next time we will come. I also would like to mention some waiters, which were very outstanding, most of all Mohamed and Ramadan from the indian restaurant, which are just the perfect waiters to us. Also Ashraf, the cook of the upper restaurant, and Mohamed (well, there are many with that name, I know...) and Beshoy from the restaurant down at the beach are extremely kind and trying to fulfill any wish. Then Bella from Guest Relation, which is just doing everything for everybody, she is just great, too. I could go on and on... Thanks to all of them... I just had wonderful holidays there and I will be back as soon as possible.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Nicole B

All your comments have been passed to the Heads of Department and they will passed on to their teams.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed July 11, 2012

best week of our lives, so sad to be home! just came back from an amazing week away at this hotel, there is not one thing we can fault, apart from having to come back home!

Beautiful hotel. Large rooms with really good bathrooms and facilities. 11 amazing pools with plenty of sun loungers for each day of your stay. There was a good variety of food, a la cartes definitely worth visiting. We went to the Italian, Chinese (a must to visit) and the Egyptian restaurants.
Beach was lovely plenty of sun loungers to, with bars/ restaurant close by.

Bar and restaurant staff were hilarious and kept us very well entertained and topped up with drink! Mostafa at the entertainment bar was a favourite of ours! (hello Mostafa!!- Get Your Guns Out!)

Reception staff were all very friendly throughout the stay and always on hand to help and give you any information you required.

ANIMATION TEAM! AMAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZING!
These guys definately made our holiday. Absoloutely amazing, so funny and always up beat working very hard to try and make everybodys holiday that much better. And it definately did ours! Lots of day time activities and evening entertainment from these guys. A must to join in with them they work so hard and it's only going to take 15minutes of your day.
BIG Shout Out to Jen, Jo, Rana, Jimmy, Tamara- made the holiday that much more fun. AND an EXTRA BIG Shout Out to LIDO and HAZEM............... I'm sexy and I know it! You guys really made our holiday! Miss all you guys!!

The entertainment team are really great here and offer lots of nights out. We only went to Pataya with them. We can only say we wish we did every night out with them as it was SO much fun and they really looked after us well!

Would 100% recommend this hotel as there is something for everyone.
We're looking to re-book and by the looks of it so have many others that were out there to!

Thankyou for an AMAZING holiday

Lots of Love Yaz and Gem
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Gem E

Its great to read you had such a fantastic time and you enjoyed your time with the entertainmnent team, all your comments have been forwarded to them.

We look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nabq Bay
Stella Di Mare Beach Hotel & Spa
Stella Di Mare Beach Hotel & Spa
#3 of 230 in Sharm El Sheikh
Sharm El Sheikh Marriott Resort
Sharm El Sheikh Marriott Resort
#62 of 230 in Sharm El Sheikh
Movenpick Resort Sharm El Sheikh Naama Bay
Movenpick Resort Sharm El Sheikh...
#12 of 230 in Sharm El Sheikh
Rixos Seagate Sharm
Rixos Seagate Sharm
#2 of 32 in Nabq Bay
Four Seasons Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Four Seasons Resort Sharm El She...
#4 of 230 in Sharm El Sheikh
Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Baron Resort Sharm El Sheikh
#6 of 230 in Sharm El Sheikh

Been to Rixos Sharm El Sheikh? Share your experiences!