“Don't miss if you are traveling to Egypt!”
Review of White Desert

White Desert
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Farafra
More attraction details
Owner description: Covering more than 2.8 million square kilometers, this vast desert starts at the western banks of the Nile and continues into Libya and contains five isolated, but thriving, oases: Kharga, Dakhla, Farafra, Bahariyya and Siwa. There are magnificent rock formations that form from wind erosions. The colors change at times from the sun, a beautiful sight to see.
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The White desert is one of the most special landscapes I've ever seen, and it's not so well known yet. I've visited it twice so far, it certainly has an addictive quality. Once you go once, you'll miss it when you come back to the city. This time, I went with an international group, with Japanese friends and Canadians. It was such a wonderful time, and amazing food, thanks to Hamada from Bawiti. Even if you've never been to a desert before, the trips from Bawiti are not so difficult. It's quite comfortable, and family friendly. But it depends on the guide, so choose carefully. You don't want someone taking you in an old car with dirty blankets and bad food.

Few things to keep in mind and bring -

In winter months, the temperature at night can drop down to nearly freezing, so bring a warm jacket and warm socks. The jacket/sweater shouldn't be a fuzzy kind, because sitting around the fire at night you can get burn holes. With Hamada, I didn't need to worry about blankets and sleeping bags, he provides good ones, thick and warm and clean.

During the day, the sun is very strong. So good sunscreen and sunglasses. It's very useful to have a thin cotton scarf, long / large one. I didn't find any nice quality scarfs in the cafeteria/giftshop we stopped at in al Haiz on the way to the desert, so I recommend you bring your own.

Last time I was in Agabat in September, a swarm of little flies that bite came by. I had forgotten a bug spray, so you might want to bring something!

During full moon it's really magical, I recommend going there during full moon, unless you're a star-gaze freak. If you go for stargaze during new moon time, you might want to download some star maps on your smartphone, or probably better, just bring a star chart if you want to do it the old fashioned way. During new moon, I saw some crazy bring shooting stars that illuminate the whole desert! A nice pair of bright binoculars are useful. You can look up full moon calendars online and search for egypt, to get an idea when you want to go.

Please if you have any questions about the white desert don't hesitate to contact me here.
I definitely recommend Hamada, he's a wonderful company and very professional, with good rates, and strong passion for his land. His team is called Desert Safari Egypte with e at the end.

I forgot to mention, if you're lucky you get to hand-feed the foxes! Make sure your guide has some sort of chicken or meat if you want to see them.

7  Thank Noora K

Reviewed July 22, 2012

I do not know why this place is not highlighted in Egypt's tourism site. During Egypt trip, I had always a dream to stay a night in the White Desert. This place is more than 400 km from Cairo. We were brought by our tour agent from Cairo to Farafra It was a nice drive. We were then transferred to 4 while drive jeep at Farafra with a guide. The guide was excellent, he was , energetic, friendly and smiling young man. From Farafra it was about 2 hours drive. On the way to the White Desert, you can see Black Desert and the Crystal hill. When we reached in the White Desert area, I was amazed by the scenic beauty. We could see dunes miles after miles. There were no civilization nearby. It was seemed that we were in another planet. We had BBQ and Bedouin tea at night time. It was a amazing lifetime experience to have diner under the open sky in the lonely desert. We could see only few desert fox, that were afraid of people. We slept under the open sky, I could watch the night sky and all the stars- Orion, Sirius among others. We could listen to desert's cricket sound, and sound of wind. I wish would go again. The best time to go there in their winter time, from November to February, as the temperature is low compared to their summer time. Sometimes the temperature can drop to 1/2 degree at night time during winter, but it is not problem as you will sleep inside the sleeping bag. Even in the winter time, the day time temperature is high, around 25-30 degree C.

2  Thank sazzadur
Reviewed April 30, 2012

This is a MUST for anybody that visits Egypt. In fact just fly into Cairo and organize a 4 x 4 trip for 3 - 4 days and you can see this magnificient place. Star gaze, be mindful, go with dear friends or organize a teambuilding corporate event. I cannot say how much i will remember this 2 day adventure. I would go back tomorrow and do it again (but for a longer period of time). We went through Royal Egypt Tours in Cairo (ask for Wahid) but our "adventure organizer" was Loly with Egypt Western Desert Tours.

He is magnificient as a guide, driver and expert in the desert. He knows every grain of sand and i would even go back on my own.

DO IT ...an amazing experience,

2  Thank Jane W
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I have just returned from an amazing 10 day trip to Egypt. We ventured into the White Desert and it was so unexpectedly stunning. Absolutely took my breath away and beautifully organized by our Cairo ground agent with local Bedouin guides. I cannot recommend this highly enough....in fact i would fly to Cairo for a long weekend and spend 3 nights doing it over again. We arranged our magnificient 10 day trip through a ground agent Royal Egypt Tours who were excellent.

2  Thank Jayne009London
Reviewed April 2, 2012

My husband and I went to Egypt and its White Desert this January and we had a wonderful experience.. In spite of all the travel alerts we heard of the place, we decided to go there anyway… and guess what? Egypt as a whole proved to be a safe country, I know news on TV are not this encouraging but trust me the country is safe to visit and to enjoy to the fullest!

As for the White Desert Safari, we decided to go on a tour with Mr Hamada from “Désert Safari Égypte”. We contacted Hamada through the internet and he did exactly as what he had promised (and written in his email).

Since he runs a family business, his uncle picked us up at the airport and took us to the Baharyia Oasis where we met Hamada. Lunch was ready for us when we arrived (the trip from Cairo to the Oasis takes at least 4 hours). After lunch we headed to the desert. In our 3 days 2 nights safari we visited: Crystal Mountain, El Agabat, Black Desert, White Desert, Magic Springs and some other places which names I can’t remember but what I will never forget is the beauty and the magic of these places which are absolutely awesome and really worth visiting if you have the opportunity to do so.

In the safari, the food was delicious, fresh, abundant, varied and cooked by Hamada himself! There was no possibility of being cold at night (we went there in winter time and though we were wearing the right cloths for the season the desert at night is pretty cold) but Hamada provided us with all the necessary sheets, sleeping bags and tents! We danced at the sound of live Bedouin music, talked for hours and we had the time of our lives there! We are really grateful to Hamada for his kindness and warmth which we will never forget. We were only four which makes the experience even better!

Hamada is a very cautious and experienced driver, he knows the desert well and he really knows what to do there. Mind you, you will be in the middle of nowhere and someone like him makes your trip unforgettably marvelous! You will have nothing to worry about which will allow you to enjoy every minute of this fascinating and exciting trip! I hope to go on more safaris in the future, so Hamada wait for us since you will be the one to take us to the desert again!

Leo and Guada from Argentina