“Simple yet comfortable” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of El-Beshmo Lodge Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bawiti
El-Beshmo Lodge Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Bawiti
Clearwater Beach, FL
“Simple yet comfortable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

Nice adaquate acommodations. The restaurant serves very large portions - fixed menue with 2 choices. When you get outside Cairo, alcoholic drinks are hard if not impossible to come by. The place is used by Select Egypt tour company

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traveler5548

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Cairo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2011

The hotel doors are painted a bright pink. The rooms surround a stone patio with lights. We felt relaxed as soon as we drove into the parking lot and this feeling continued. The food was good and plentiful. Our room was cozy and there was plenty of hot water. We slept well and unwound before our trip to the white desert. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. If you're used to Movenpick this isn't for you.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Ljubljana, Slovenia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2010

I stayed in this hotel with my friend for one night. Cleanlines of the rooms was not very good, I think it was because we were there in a low season and we were the only guests there. And maybe also because of the sand from the desert. The other thing that bothered me, was that there was no living soul in the hotel but us. If there was more life in the hotel (maybe there is in high season), it could be better. Because the arcitecture of the hotel is quite charming... We also had our brekfast in the hotel and I must say it was very delicious.
I thik I would stay in this hotel again, but only in high season....

p.s. about my recomendation to a friend: I would recomend it to those friends that are not too demanding about cleanliness...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Brussels, BE
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2010

If you have a choice, skip staying at any hotel and use your nights to camp under the stars in the White Desert.
Originally, we were booked at another hotel. After driving for 4 hours from Cairo, upon arrival was told that our original hotel did not have electricity and that El Beshmo would be our home in the oasis. Didn't know if it was a classic "bait n' switch" or if indeed in this isolated part of Egypt that electricity was an issue. Either way, we felt obligated to stay at El Beshmo.
Upon waiting for the room to be ready, we were invited to sit by the pool. When we saw it, less than inviting. Water was muddy, dark green color. Looked like no one had taken a swim in that pool for a long time. When got into the room, it was neat and simple. Not a problem, but in contrast the photos of the original hotel, was not the same standard. The difference between the photos on the website and the room before us made us question if we were getting the same value for our money.
Cleanliness was questioned. In bathroom, there were 2 bars of soap. One wrapped and unused. This was good. Another large bar of soap unwrapped and saw several dark, curly hairs dried on the white bar of soap. This caused us to question that if the soap was not clean, what else could we expect to not be clean.
Regarding food, its simple and rustic like the part of the world you're in. We had 2 different experiences. Hopefully you come loving hard boiled eggs, as you will be served them at each breakfast in the hotel. Food was OK at the restaurant, but amazing at the campsite. At the hotel's restaurant, note that paying for drinks is extra. 1 bottle of water and 1 can of soda cost an additional 25 ep. Compared to prices in the shops and at other local restaurants, that's steep.
Staff was cordial and helpful. English was at a different level than what you get in Cairo, but then again, you're after a different experience than what you get in Cairo so naturally things are not identical.
Best bet for enjoying the oasis is getting away from the hotel and camping. We loved the camp out, sang songs, eat excellent fresh food, and slept like children under an indigo night sky. That was worth the long drives and even the hairy bar of soap. If I was to do it again, I would skip staying at any hotel and camp.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Bawiti hotels

Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2009

Nobody would come to Bahariya for this hotel, but as a base for a trip into a desert it is o.k.. And the desert is certainly an absolutely great experince. Anyway I had the impression that mostly it is the tour operators which choose this lodge. The rooms are basic but clean for Egypt. We had one of the better rooms with a private bath. The bath room looks filthy because of the brown water in the desert, but the shower had hot water and a good water pressure. Just as the tiled floor was uneven left a wet floor until next morning, so bring sandals. Also it is right that the bed sheets are not changed for every new arrival, as people are usually only staying for a night, then venturing into the desert and onwards or coming back another day for another night before going back to Cairo. Our beds were freshly made on arrival, but when returning after one night in the desert into the same room it was obvious that someone had slept in the bed as the pillow smelled of some unknown perfume. I had brought my own pillow case and also a fresh towel for that case. The food as mentioned is o.k. filling and edible, but bland, not more. Strangely the meal which was prepared with the most simple means in the desert when passing a night out there had a better taste. Also, we had no problem with hygiene. One night was totally quiet, the other night there was loud traditional music played next door for a party or wedding which added to the exotic athmosphere. After all this is a village were the locals live and not everything is done just to please the tourists. The desert and the surrounding were just amazing and with a little bit of an adventurous spirit can be a life time experience. Bawiti itself is very quiet and the local very peaceful and nice people and we enjoyed walking around the palm gardens just behind the lodge.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Worldwanderer67
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2009

I had gone desert camping twice without staying in hotels so I wasn't really sure what to expect when I booked this place for my husband, myself and my parents. Upon arrival, everything was ready. The staff were friendly and we were checked in smoothly. I had to laugh when we entered our rooms - the first thing you see is a bottle of mosquito spray :-) At least they gave you something to minimize the amount of mosquitoes in your room (what do you expect - it's an oasis). The beds were comfortable enough and the place was cleaner than I expected. There was even hot water! My parents only complaint was the donkey that woke them up at about 5 am, but that's not the hotel's fault. Breakfast is very plain/"rustic" - bread, cheeses, foul (our guide made great foul - he should have made it for the lodge, too), fruit and tea/coffee. However, dinner is great - we got the same thing every night, but you can't go wrong with homemade chicken soup with orzo pasta, Egyptian rice, salad, veggie stew and roasted chicken plus a piece of fruit for dessert! You could sit out for tea if you wanted. There is a scary green "water-hole" which I wouldn't go in to swim, though! Overall, I was pleasantly surprised about the lodge. The location is off the main road so there's no noise really (except the donkey), the food is good and the place is clean. I would go back again - though I still love to camp!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
minneapolis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2009

I've stayed at the Beshmo twice. It's a very basic hotel and a good place stay before a camping trip. One can't be too picky when this far from a big city. If you expect too much you'll be disappointed. You'll just have to accept that the sheets may have been slept on and the shower is not separate from the toilet area. As oasis hotels go this is quite average.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends