“Great get-away from Cairo in the real Egypt”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bawiti
Hotel Desert Rose Eco Lodge
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We picked the Desert Rose from the internet based on the trip advisor rating. Thanks Trip Advisor! I remember the review said something about how it is great to be with Mohamed, the owner. When I emailed, he replied and said we could come. I then asked about getting there, and he said he would be coming our dates, we could go and return with him. Not sure that will happen for you, but although the lodge is wonderful (very quiet, sounds of Egypt, donkeys, lots of dates in season, and we enjoyed swimming in the nearby hot-springs, with veiled Muslim women, which was completely out of character with what one expects in Egypt, but no one seemed to concerned), the highlight was Mohamed who told us about initiatives to improve tourism and build his lodge. Yes, we loved the trips out into the desert, which we insisted must include regular rock-picking stops for our young boys.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank DougB-SDG

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We spent 3 wonderful days with our family in Bahariya. The Eco Lodge is comfortable, simple and very clean, the food was good, the programmes were interesting and well-organised. OUr company had various ages, and everybody enjoyed our time in BAhariya from kids to adults. The staff were very kind, helpful, flexible and efficient. We recommend this place for everybody, adults or families. It was an unforgettable getaway from the Egyptian everyday life!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Rozalia_Berzsak
Reviewed January 1, 2013

If I was ever able to go back to Egypt this is exactly where I would be! The owner Mahamed and staff took care of me like I was one of the family. I
never wanted for a thing my whole stay there. The food is divine and the service and people were oustanding. The desert trip Mohamed organised for me was probably the best tour I have been on. I even requested things that were not usually part of the tour and they made it happen just for me :D My Guide Sameh and my to other trusty companions made my trip amazing and even camping in the desert the food was still amazing! Do not miss this peice of desert authenticity! I am taking with me a wonderful memory. This stay is actually the best memory I will have of the whole of egypt and I visited Everywhere! thanks Mohamed! :D

Room Tip: All rooms will be great! Ask to see them and I am sure Mohamed will show you :D
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank sweeney7319
Reviewed April 12, 2012

This hotel was perfect from the beginning: the owner was very easy to deal with and contact, the staff were fantastic, the food was simply incredible, and the tour that they arranged (including a night under a full moon in the desert) was simply unforgettable. I cannot praise them (the guide, the driver and the cook!) enough, and all in all Desert Rose provided us with the most perfect two days I could have ever dreamed of. Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank sinead s
Reviewed February 25, 2012

My week in the desert was so special. Everything was planned perfectly for us. The driver Ahmed was very good and what a wonderful cook they have. really, I cannot remember when I enjoyed meals so much. We enjoyed every minute in the wonderful nature, the sun, the wind, the calm....
I shall never forget the peace. we rode camels, walked with a guide (who was just great), had a delicious lunch prepared for us by Ahmed and Mohamed and ate it in the shade of the rocks in the ain. At night they lit a fire in the desert and we slept under the sky, looking up at the moon and stars, unforgettable!
So thank you very much for the great organization of our desert trip and the warm welcome at desert rose lodge!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank poona09
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Just returned from a very enjoyable, peaceful stay at Desert Rose Eco-Lodge.
I felt very comfortable and well-looked after while I was there.
The staff are pleasant and friendly and the food is fabulous! If you are lucky enough to be there when the owner Mohamed Tahoun is there he will entertain you with stories of his life. An excellent choice if you are heading to Bawiti and want to be close to the stunning desert scenery.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank cairodeb
Reviewed November 13, 2011

The 6 hour drive on Christmas eve from Cairo to Bawiti, our base for exploring the Bahariya Oasis was a hair-raising affair with us witnessing no less than 4 bad accidents on the 6th October bridge , all occurring in a spate of 20 minutes . This was partly due to the heavy and dense fog on that particular day with visibility reduced to less than 10 metres ahead of our vehicle and also partly due to the recklessness of most of the drivers on the road, speeding when common sense dictated that they should have reduced speed and exercised more caution.With a lot of prayer and thanks to our most careful and cautious driver, we left the highway behind us unscathed as we headed into the Western Desert and fog clearing.

Needless to say, after our terrifying experience on the road, there was a sense of trepidation of what to expect for our accommodation awaiting us ahead..From the shakes of the heads when directions were sought from the inhabitants of Bawiti, it seemed this Desert Rose place was non-existent to them. As each minute passed, we were wondering whether we might resort to sleeping in our car in the desert.It took our driver another 2 hours wandering amidst the date palm plantations ,and some phone calls ,searching for this elusive Desert Rose Eco Lodge, before he was able to locate it.

We turned into a dusty mud-track for a couple of minutes and lo and behold......... out of the blue,we were suddenly surprised to find this charming little single storey traditional mud-brick house appearing before us. It was a welcoming respite from the busy and mad Cairo we left behind. There was a sense of peace and comfort the moment we stepped onto the grounds.Gardens full of fruit trees , though young, as if they had just been planted, were everywhere.Immediately upon arrival, the manager, Mr Mafouz, greeted us at the door. We were given welcome drinks and then shown to our rooms and were told that lunch was also ready for us.

Our 2 rooms, Rooms IV and V, overlooked a common fruit garden courtyard and as the name of the hotel suggests, the owners try as much as possible to be green and eco-friendly in their furnishings eg their table lamps and light shades were made of wood or clay.Apart from the beds with mosquito nettings considerately placed over every bed, there was very little else in the rooms.No table for luggage so those had to be placed on the stony bare floor laden with a few rugs. No TV, phones or anything that gave any indication of being connected to the outside world . It felt as if we had stepped back in time to a different era void of 21st century gadgets. On the other side of each room was a window overlooking some greenery , probably a plantation in the making.So even though we were generally out here in the desert, we were reminded that we were infact in an oasis.The rooms and bathrooms were as clean as any place would be in the desert - dust and sand on the floors is unavoidable and it would be advisable to wear slippers at all times while walking about in the room or bathroom. It is not a place of any luxury, and I would give it a 2-3 star for the lack of amenities. But the service was superb and the whole set-up was rather unique and cosy.

Lunch and dinner were typically Egyptian fare with its fair share of hummus and pita bread.We were told that everything was grown fresh from the farm but I did not see much of a farm though as the plants and trees still looked very young.
The highlight of our stay here was not so much the hotel but the desert safari trip but having said that, the hotel stay added to the wholesome experience of the Bahariye oasis expedition a very enjoyable and memorable one, which we still speak of animatedly to this day. ( This was a year ago, mind you.)

There really isn't much to do here and apart from a french family visiting from Cairo, we were the only other guests.

Mr Mafouz was probably one of the most pleasant Egyptians we had met during our whole 16 day trip in Egypt. It was a refreshing change to meet Mr Mafouz and his team as they were hospitable, patient and eager to please. We had a guide for the desert Safari, Ahmet and he was most gentle, sincere and wonderful with the kids.This was rare indeed and tipping them at the end of our trip was a real pleasure, unlike most of the times when baksheesh was given ,out of pure obligation and even coercion at times.Mr Mafouz even happily obliged us by letting us leave our luggage in a room behind the reception counter while we were out on our 2 day desert safari for us to collect them later on for our return trip to Cairo.

All in all, this was a delightful place to stay while in Bawiti- although rather basic in amenities, it was comfortable,cosy friendly and unique.

However one thing bothered me during our 2 night stay here- the running water from the taps smelt pungently of iron ; something which we felt uncomfortable with while brushing teeth or bathing as it was reminiscent of blood.So buy loads of water if you're going to be here for a while as we found we needed to use bottled water to brush our teeth or wash our faces.This is in no way the fault of the hotel but rather, it was endemic to the region which we were told was sitting on reserves of masses of iron ores.
Further, if you are one who may be easily bored , especially teenagers ,it is useful to bring along a laptop or a portable CD player as there is really nothing to do after dinner except sleep...........

Room Tip: This is not a big establishment with the dining hall literally a few steps outside the rooms and the...
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family