“It's not just a hotel... It's a way of experiencing the dessert...”
Review of Sands Baharia

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bawiti
Sands Baharia
Ranked #3 of 5 Bawiti B&B and Inns
Cairo
“It's not just a hotel... It's a way of experiencing the dessert...”
Reviewed March 3, 2010

I spent 2 nights in Sands Baharia and they were definitely worth writing about. The hotel itself is very comfortable and perfectly sized to give a true experience of coziness. The rooms are very comfortable and are done in such a way which brings the desert feel inside. Who would've thought that a straw bedframe is sturdy enough for a fully grown adult to sleep in AND sleep like a baby???!!! The outlets are really well designed. I loved hanging out in the living room at night and having a great time with my friends.

Now comes the food... Yes I did gain a few pounds but it was well worth it!!! The salads and appetizers were muy delicioso!!! (Everything came from their vegetable garden which is on site). Being vegetarian can sometimes be a challange. But in Sands Baharia there were so many yummy vegetarian dishes way more than any human stomache can possible take... But, I made sure not to miss out on any! My friends were also raving about the roasted chickens and savoring each bite of beef they had...

Now the good news for pet lovers is that this hotel is pet friendly. And trust me, this is very rare in Egypt. I had my 1 yr old Chihuaua with me... It was his first time in the desert and he couldn't believe there was a place that was actually bigger than out livingroom :) Throughout our stay, the staff was very very friendly to him and that added to my personal happiness!

The hotel organized a tour of Bawiti town. I almost skipped it in favor of staying in the hotel and enjoying the surrounding beautiful dunes and vegetable garden... But, I am glad my friends talked me into going. We were accompanied by the hoitel Manager who made sure everyone was comfortable and answered all our questions. We saw the golden mummies and several other Greco Roman remains as well as the local art museum. Then we headed off to the hot springs where we took a good dip followed by a relaxed chat under the palm trees sipping extra sweet tea made by a very nice and rather entertaining Bawiti guy. The last destination was the lake which we reached after driving through the desert and stopping at the "English Mountain". I really thought that we were just going to look at the lake and leave. But to everyone's great surprise, we arrived to a very nice seating area with cushions, rugs and low tables set up by the hotel staff who had arrived before us! And it was time for a "quick bite". The "quick bite" was not quick... The array of salads, appetizers and cold drinks were out on the tables to compliment the beautiful view of sunset by the lake!!! ...

Throughout our stay, every single hotel staff member was very courteous efficient AND fast!!! I can't remember anyone of them not wearing a smile on their face!

Oh! And starting off the day (remember you are literally in the middle of the dessert!) sipping aromatic expresso was a true luxury!

Although coming back to the crazy city of Cairo was a big anti climax, it is calming to know that Baharia is only a few kelometers away and doesn't need too much preparation. Actually, my friends and I are going back to Sands Baharia early April. And I just can't wait!!!

I am not sure who are the staff members who will read my review. But I do thank each and everyone one of them for the absolutely wonderful experience we had... And I look forward to being there again in April!

• Stayed February 2010
3 Thank dashAKAdollz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cairo
Reviewed March 3, 2010

As a regular visitor to the Western Desert and to the Baharia Oasis, it's always been disappointing to me that there hasn't been a good-quality place to stay in the Oasis town. The existing options have been basic and most travelers stay for just one night in Bawiti on their way to or from the Desert. Many are relieved by that fact.

A new hotel, Sands Baharia, was recommended by friends and a group of us visited last weekend, spending two nights there. I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality, service and overall experience that we had. The hotel sits in a large reservation of land, surrounded by an organic garden that grows vegetables that are used in the hotel kitchen. The food was very good - classic Egyptian fare of grilled meats and various salads. The hotel has a nice relaxing bar area, pretty terrace and small pool (which was being cleaned at the time, in the wake of a major sandstorm).

Overall, the quality of the hotel merits the price, which is a bit higher than one might pay in the other Baharia establishments. That said, the friendly staff bent over backwards to help us and organized a nice picnic on the edge the lake after we took an oasis tour. Sands Baharia is really well situated to serve tourists who might want to experience the nearby Black and White Deserts for day trips rather than camping. I'd certainly have no problem spending another weekend there.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends